• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

2 months ago on GAF:

That hype spike!

asian_man_lol_gif.gif

0x600.jpg

PS4 owners have a lock for a winner with it.

This will probably be the game to make me buy a PS4 next year.

Bloodborne. But, beware, it may get a bad review from somebody, too, which, of course, means it will ruin your impression of the game as a whole.

I look at only respectable reviewers. Not the random sites that give out high 9 scores like candy.

That said, the new direction of all offensive little defesne could go wrong for the game's design.
People thought Yoshi's Story would be the successor sequel to Yoshi's Island, but the change in direction the game took torpedoed the game.

Won't know until it comes out.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
So hilarious certain posters predictably do this over and over. Picking among the worst review out of dozens and dozens, and then basing one's entire opinion around it.
Did you not see what I laid out just a few minutes ago for a similar post?

edit: Yes, I see you did, because you quoted. Well, same treatment goes for you. Go find me some of these posters, please. 5 will do. Same rules as the other guy.

Blanket accusations get you nowhere.

The graphics over gameplay argument seems strange to me. Yea, I get it, the game is getting mixed reviews but none of these reviews are actually criticizing the gameplay or that its lacking, the most they go to is that its a "standard circuit-based racer."

That doesn't tell me graphics over gameplay were prioritized or even that the gameplay is lacking.

No they went with detail over content, but that applies to the whole game, presentation and gameplay IMO, from what I have seen.

impact

Banned
I could be wrong, but didn't the devs say that it would be more accessible than the Souls series?

I've played the alpha so I know, it's actually harder than previous games. Reviewers are gonna get destroyed.

They thought Dark Souls 2 was hard hahahahahaha

On metacritic

Dark Souls got 89
Dark Souls II got 91

so that's not true at all.

thanks for proving me right, the easiest Souls game by a country fuckin mile has the best score. WHO KNEW!

meanspartan

So looks like this is gonna land in the 7-8 range.

Gotta admit, I am only somewhat into racing games, and am mostly interested in this due to wanting to see the prettiness. So it seems like it'll be good enough for me!

VanWinkle

People really need to stop conflating a highly regarded series with a completely different game with odd quality qualms and a troubled development.

No, I think it's fair. They're very similar games, and very few people have problems with game outside of it being what they consider very average in most ways. They would probably say the same thing about PGR now because it didn't seem to do things better. I think the non-open-world, non-sim racer is just a dying breed now.

Derpcrawler

DriveClub is pretty much Destiny of the racing games, according to reviews and first impressions of my friend. Polished gameplay, with huge lack of content and focus. Oh well, can't complain about it being free with PS+.

prwxv3

I've played the alpha so I know, it's actually harder than previous games. Reviewers are gonna get destroyed.

Really. I thought the health gaining mechanic looked too forgiving, guys I was wrong.

nib95

Banned
No ultimatum from bish for this?

He wouldn't need to. It happens commonly, with a lot of games.

But wait, you're not going to post that Xbox One cloud PR post for the now 4th or 5th time now are you? And then ignorantly state AI can't be done via GPGPU or compute despite me giving you links to the contrary?

Edit. Cool Bish, I'm down.

It'll sell a shit load of copies?

I was thinking more about review score and perceived hype. I am not a big racing fan myself just though of some parallels.

Fuck I don't know. Maybe new modes will be added to make it more fun to those who complain. Sony has never gone beyond simulation racing so let us crucify them for trying something different or they could just copy Forza Horizon for Driveclub 2.

I hate review threads. I'm out.

A 5 from Gamespot. Kevin VanOrd review? Kevin VanOrd review.

I love it when people who aren't even fans of racing games review racing games. And even if they're semi-fans, they need their racers to have some flashy new gimmick. Cop chases, buildings falling down around them as they race, large scale and uber-cool crashes, and other weird shit that has little to do with substance and all to do with flash. Thank fuck someone out there is still making these "boring" racing games where you - wait for it - RACE.

And no matter how good the driving is, it won't reach its potential without a variety of things to do.
I hope people like you stop having an impact on the genre. Unfortunately, it looks like this way of thinking is more or less the norm. Very irritating.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I guess the PGR formula is officially dead. This was a nice throwback, but arcade sims have no place in the industry it seems :/.
This game has little in common with PGR, IMO. Been kind of annoying since it was announced to see people say it's the PGR spiritual successor to try and give it credence or something, but it's never felt like it beyond being an arcade racer and having some interesting locale choices. Haven't played it myself but the handling also looked very rough and not like PGR at all when cars lost traction.

Not only has the car selection looked incredibly basic and typical from the start, but now I find out it's only European cars? As un-PGR-like as possible. The eclectic and bizarre (no pun intended) choice of vehicles was something that made PGR stand out from the crowd as well.

It's always been a stretch comparison. That said, PGR4 got hit super hard with similar complaints that Driveclub did with respect to not reinventing the wheel.. but it boasted a lot more content-wise than Driveclub.

Raymo

The same could be said of the whole review industry. Everyone's gotten a lot harsher since a few years ago, though I can't say that's a bad thing.

Since their voices are a lot less important in a world where "let's play" videos and live streaming are becoming more and more popular. Videogame commentary is readily available in many more places than traditional games journalism now.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
DriveClub is pretty much Destiny of the racing games, according to reviews and first impressions of my friend. Polished gameplay, with huge lack of content and focus. Oh well, can't complain about it being free with PS+.

I'd say it's fitting the GT5 Prologue era. When a GT releases it's accepted by some and thrown away by others. Either way you are getting a lot of quality out of the game. Underground seemed to bring the crowd who just wanted that F&F feeling.

It wasn't going to be a new Need for Speed Underground of the generation. It about averages below a fully featured Gran Turismo

I've never met a racing fan that wasn't like an Underground fan or who hadn't started playing Forza.

I've always bought GT. I don't know how I really feel about Drive Club. It will be enjoyed by people who want it. What's annoying are the opinions it gets via reviews and what not.

Damn! I really was hyped like hell for this game.

Really...

I don't understand the hype for this.

Looks o.k., nothing mind blowing to go crazy about.

Like the same thing we seen from higher end racers all throughout last gen, only with higher res PC like textures.

Maybe I need to see a direct feed to be more impressed (but then again, it's 30fps).

GTAV, GT5, PGR 3 & 4, Grid 1 & 2, Dirt 2 & 3, pretty much all the recent Need For Speed games.

I mean the graphics aren't that far above the games I mentioned.
Higher LOD backgrounds, high res textures & 1080p withstanding.

Disingenuous my ass.
There is some revisions history going on here as if DriveClube is the first game to have epic long draw distances in a racing game.

The 1080p resolution makes this game have a automatic superior IQ over the 360 & PS3 games, but outside that, what is so revolutionary about it?

The number of cars on screen, the car physics, the car deformation, the framerate, etc...
I'm with Jeff Gerstmann, when he said that this doesn't look anything too special.

And this wasn't even three months ago

edit: LOL beaten to hell and back

No they went with detail over content, but that applies to the whole game, presentation and gameplay IMO, from what I have seen.

I'll give you content, but presentation and gameplay? The presentation is simple and to the point. You're in a racing game, go race. None of that (and I love FH2), unskippable cutscene BS where some random dude that I don't give a shit about talks to me. Its just pure racing.

The gameplay is top notch too. I mean yea, that's a subjective statement, but the sense of speed, the handling etc, are all good.

My bigger point was that the game isn't getting these reviews primarily because something was "wrong" with the gameplay. Most reviews who are scoring it low seem to be saying its a "standard" racing game.

This game has little in common with PGR, IMO. Been kind of annoying since it was announced to see people say it's the PGR spiritual successor to try and give it credence or something, but it's never felt like it beyond being an arcade racer and having some interesting locale choices. Haven't played it myself but the handling also looked very rough and not like PGR at all when cars lost traction.

Not only has the car selection looked incredibly basic and typical from the start, but now I find out it's only European cars? As un-PGR-like as possible. The eclectic and bizarre (no pun intended) choice of vehicles was something that made PGR stand out from the crowd as well.

It's always been a stretch comparison. That said, PGR4 got hit super hard with similar complaints that Driveclub did with respect to not reinventing the wheel.. but it boasted a lot more content-wise than Driveclub.
Nobody said it was an exact copy of PGR. It shares some of it's elements. Even though they don't call them kudos, you earn kudos. And the racing model hovers along that arcade/sim line much the way PGR did. Nobody is out there saying this game is PGR all the way.

IcyEyes

Man... if you're a serious racer, than you either play online against other players and can't rewind OR you play offline and try to beat your fastest leader-board times. I don't know what games you are talking about but in Forza Motorsport or Codemasters games you get "dirty lapped" for using a rewind and even if the best lap time on the planet is a 1:19 your 1:18(dirty) will be send directly behind the slowest 24:59(clean) lap time on the board.

Sure, I know the rewind is not "free" and my statement doesn't have a precise reference to any game that uses that option. Anyway, anybody is free to use that option, so everyone will be happy I guess.

Anyway, I will not talk anymore about this "feature" in this thread.

rjcc

I actually think that in a way, review scores are more meaningful than the text because it's an honest assessment of the reviewer's overall opinion.

When you play a game, do you make a list of pros/cons, carefully deliberate on it, then decide the score? No, you probably know instinctively how you would score it, then you attempt to put into words what you liked or disliked about it.

no. no. no.

A 5 from Gamespot. Kevin VanOrd review? Kevin VanOrd review.

I love it when people who aren't even fans of racing games review racing games. And even if they're semi-fans, they need their racers to have some flashy new gimmick. Cop chases, buildings falling down around them as they race, large scale and uber-cool crashes, and other weird shit that has little to do with substance and all to do with flash. Thank fuck someone out there is still making these "boring" racing games where you - wait for it - RACE.

I hope people like you stop having an impact on the genre. Unfortunately, it looks like this way of thinking is more or less the norm. Very irritating.

There is a speed penalty if you drive off the track & the a.i. will constantly bump you off the road. I don't like the rewind feature in games, but for shit like this, I would definitely use it.

The a.i. drives like they are glued to the driving line like in the older Gran Turismo games & the races showed more a point to point/rally type of tracks that do not compliment that type of a.i. behavior.

You can absolutely know how many tracks, cars and gameplay modes are available without playing it.

so your saying need for speed, the Grid series, the Dirt series, ridge racer series, wipeout series, etc. are bad games?

Right?

The amount of cars and tracks is pretty high actually. Only GT / Forza series really has much higher

prwxv3

There is a speed penalty if you drive off the track & the a.i. will constantly bump you off the road. I don't like the rewind feature in games, but for shit like this, I would definitely use it.

The a.i. drives like they are glued to the driving line like in the older Gran Turismo games & the races showed more a point to point/rally type of tracks that do not compliment that type of a.i. behavior.

That tag

Pre-ordered DC last night because I enjoy driving games, to take advantage of this months $15 PSN offer, and because I have $200 of PSN cards I paid $100 for thanks to Gamestop and Kongregate last month - making this game effectively $21.25 for me.

I'd agree with the 7/10 reviews, played for about an hour today morning and while I had fun I was not blown away. The graphics were not good, I would have sworn I was playing on my PS3. The backseat driving stuff is pretty annoying. I have never played Forza or Gran Turismo and probably never will because I realize I prefer arcade-y driving games to sim style games, Mario Kart 8 and stuff like GTA are my thing.

Still its fun to play, I will probably play a few hours a month so its worth it for that. I think for most people though the PS+ version is going to be more than enough. I will definitely not be getting the season pass.

Most memorable moment was driving through a sunny valley, and after the next hill suddenly its full of dark clouds and thunder is rumbling. That was pretty awesome. The tree's in India look like shit though.

Zabuza

Banned

thanks for proving me right, the easiest Souls game by a country fuckin mile has the best score. WHO KNEW!
For real. Dark Souls 2 was really easy. Not kidding.

I couldn't even beat the boss solo in Bloodborne.

Hugstable

Banned
2 months ago on GAF:

That hype spike!

You care about what one person says so much to go look through there post history 2 months back? Why? If they don't like that game ignore them. The reviews are actually decent I don't see why everyone is arguing about it. It got like 2 bad reviews, everything else from both User Impressions from the OT here and other reviews make the game seem to be great for people who like Closed Circuit racing like I do. Gamespot and Eurogamer were obviously looking for something else in a racing game and sadly scored it that way, but anyone who plays it expecting a closed circuit racer is gonna get just that and from what I've seen they may end up enjoying it. Only blemish I've really seen besides the missing features that are gonna be patched in is the fact that there is limited car makes and there is no real customization. Besides that the game sounds great. I'm just trying to say, it seems weird that if anyone has an opinion about something that they might go and dig stuff up on you. If you don't like their opinion, ignore it, don't go spend time looking up posts they made 2 months ago. If he was in here constantly spamming BS then I would understand, but he made like one statement lol.

Kalm

Actually reading the reviews paints a prettier picture than the meta-score presents.

I don't have a PS4 yet, but Driveclub looks great so I'll probably invite my poor ass to a friend's place to try it out.

This thread, however, is a complete horror-show. Trolls. Crazy, PR-level defenses to counter said trolls. Why do we even do this to ourselves?

hwy_61

Banned
You care about what one person says so much to go look through there post history 2 months back? Why? If they don't like that game ignore them. The reviews are actually decent I don't see why everyone is arguing about it. It got like 2 bad reviews, everything else from both User Impressions from the OT here and other reviews make the game seem to be great for people who like Closed Circuit racing like I do. Gamespot and Eurogamer were obviously looking for something else in a racing game and sadly scored it that way, but anyone who plays it expecting a closed circuit racer is gonna get just that and from what I've seen they may end up enjoying it. Only blemish I've really seen besides the missing features that are gonna be patched in is the fact that there is limited car makes and there is no real customization. Besides that the game sounds great. I'm just trying to say, it seems weird that if anyone has an opinion about something that they might go and dig stuff up on you. If you don't like their opinion, ignore it, don't go spend time looking up posts they made 2 months ago. If he was in here constantly spamming BS then I would understand, but he made like one statement lol.

It was a harmless joke. I found it funny at least.

Ehh, I think it will be a great game to get for cheap down the line.

20€ next....May or so and I´m in.

A tad bit on the disappointing side though (but some of the criticism reads.....weird, like the one complaining about the lack of an open world).

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You care about what one person says so much to go look through there post history 2 months back? Why?
[wall of text]
I remembered that name from some of the posts he made in past Driveclub threads previously. It took me 45 seconds, including writing my few words to make that post. But I have to admit I'm pretty good at using google.

Add you to the list of people who have no idea what they are talking about.

You only get a penalty if you're off the road for more than 3 seconds. if you have any skill, this is easily avoided.

The AI in the early portion of the game is at a very low skill level. So yes, they drive in a pack. Come back to me when you've actually progressed in the game, played some of the higher skill levels, and tell me the AI drives in the same way.

Hint: they don't.

Top Bottom