• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

Metacritic 73 and decreasing...

My friend also agreed that it is soulless, bland, frustrating, and dull. He has seasonal affect disorder and the washed out colors and too much cloudy skies made him feel sad when playing it. I understand that how other developers have a better grasp on art direction and make games that are vibrant and fun.

Wait, I don't mean to make fun but ... wtf is seasonal affect disorder? First time I'm hearing that

squidyj

My friend also agreed that it is soulless, bland, frustrating, and dull. He has seasonal affect disorder and the washed out colors and too much cloudy skies made him feel sad when playing it. I understand that how other developers have a better grasp on art direction and make games that are vibrant and fun.

I thought this was a parody because of how fucking ridiculous it is but then I checked out your post history.

now I'm SAD.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Out of curiosity, did any other fence-sitters actually get sold on Driveclub today?

I've been casually lurking DC threads for some time and it mostly seemed like two extremist groups -- trolls vs. pre-release hype -- were just constantly beating on each other and drowning out everyone else. It was really hard to take anyone seriously when everything was so black and white.

Reading through the reviews, it was nice to get a more balanced and realistic view of the game. The USGamer and Gamersyde sets in particular were pretty great.

I was on the fence and still kind of am (although the negative reviews that I've read do make this sound like an average racer all around, which is a bummer because I want a racer right now to sink my teeth into).

boingball

Better than expected reviews. Though Eurogamer is worse than I thought it would be, no bonus for a UK studio? (Or if there was a bonus, how would they have rated it if it was developed by non-UK studio?).

Sony knew why they put the embargo on the release day.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
The Destructoid review by Dale North (who's basically unassailable, in terms of his editorial credibility for racers) fits closest to my reactions. Which regards a lot of the positives, but notes the real issues that pull back the experience. Even just from his intro, you can tell he understands and appreciates what the game tries to do. He notes visual problems though that I hadn't heard about, pre-release.

There were videos posted in these threads with the weird transparent boxes. Ill get this game for cheap when I get the chance. Will live with the ps plus version for a while

Paracelsus

When I think of S.A.D., it is when you get literally bummed out because the weather is shitty.

I'll put it under spoiler because I don't know if it's bannable, but that is actually a pro to many many people, except they call it
comfy
. That friend is the odd one out this time.

My friend also agreed that it is soulless, bland, frustrating, and dull. He has seasonal affect disorder and the washed out colors and too much butty skies made him feel sad when playing it. I understand that how other developers have a better grasp on art direction and make games that are vibrant and fun.

Oh god oh god, this is so funny.

Listen, I don't know if you're actually a cool dude or not, but your posts in all driveclub-related threads are pretty humorous.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Or maybe some people just don't like it.....I know that at conference talking to dozens of people getting hands on with it most weren't really impressed.

Like I said I still need to play the full game before making my final judgment but what I played I didn't really like much at all.

Stop the presses. Really? You mean to tell me you surveyed dozens of passer bys that weren't impressed?

That seals it. This is game is objectively bland.

There is a weather toggle in the game now but it only adjusts the clouds.
I think it affects the wind too although I'm not sure what effect that has on gameplay. I picked stormy this morning and in the pre race flyby it showed waves forming across the top of the lake.

When I think of S.A.D., it is when you get literally bummed out because the weather is shitty.

Okthats what I thought it meant... Didnt knew it had a name... It's a disorder now? Man... We try and find diseases in everything. Its just weather people, and getting bummed when it rains is normal... holy shit I'm sick of those 'disorders' everywhere.
Anyway, sorry for off topic

Curufinwe

The Destructoid review by Dale North (who's basically unassailable, in terms of his editorial credibility for racers) fits closest to my reactions. Which regards a lot of the positives, but notes the real issues that pull back the experience. Even just from his intro, you can tell he understands and appreciates what the game tries to do.

The AI created problems when it came to on-the-track gameplay created some issues

On a superficial note, he points out visual problems though that I hadn't heard about, pre-release.

I'm surprised almost an extra year of dev time wasn't enough to stop the AI from ramming you off the road from behind.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
gaf ot for dc seems to be singing it praises though

That's hardly surprising.

I remember when Enchanted Arms came out it got trashed by reviews. 'Just another bog standard JRPG, doesn't do anything interesting'. Well the game community at the time thought that was an unfair criticism. They thought that Enchanted Arms was a solid if unremarkable JRPG and that criticising it for things it wasn't was unfair. Penny Arcade wrote a blog post about how Enchanted Arms was actually a really good game, and then they paired that with a comic mocking the reviewers.

Thirsty for games in the early 360 ownership drought I took those defences of the game to heart and bought Enchanted Arms.

Enchanted Arms is one of the most tedious games I've ever had the displeasure of playing. I don't think I got more than about 3 hours in.

Matt

My friend also agreed that it is soulless, bland, frustrating, and dull. He has seasonal affect disorder and the washed out colors and too much cloudy skies made him feel sad when playing it.

Theoretically, that would actually be fascinating, and worthy of some discussion in its own thread.

Stop the presses. Really? You mean to tell me you surveyed dozens of passer bys that weren't impressed?

That seals it. This is game is objectively bland.

I never said it is objectively bland.....

Yes I talked to dozens of managers.....because I personally know them. Your original post implies all low reviews are wrong and Im simply stating that there are people not into the game. It seemed awfully bland to me personally but as I said Ill reserve final judgement for when I play it this week.

Krakn3Dfx

Ooooh! I'll take that wager.

You round up the names of the folks saying "if the game is fun, why complain" in this thread. Cross reference those names against a resolution thread of your choice. For the sake of argument and to give you a sporting chance, we'll mark "most" as 50% +1.

3 PM Pacific should give you enough time. See you then.

Ooooh, Ninja Warrior Neogaf Style

tumblr_m85xlp8KEI1r83i3r.gif

RedAssedApe

Banned

I remember when Enchanted Arms came out it got trashed by reviews. 'Just another bog standard JRPG, doesn't do anything interesting'. Well the game community at the time thought that was an unfair criticism. They thought that Enchanted Arms was a solid if unremarkable JRPG and that criticising it for things it wasn't was unfair. Penny Arcade wrote a blog post about how Enchanted Arms was actually a really good game, and then they paired that with a comic mocking the reviewers.

Thirsty for games in the early 360 ownership drought I took those defences of the game to heart and bought Enchanted Arms.

Enchanted Arms is one of the most tedious games I've ever had the displeasure of playing. I don't think I got more than about 3 hours in.

well at least now we have demos and ps+ lol

Haha, holy shit. I can't believe you bought Enchanted Arms. Everything about it looked terrible from the off. You probably would have been better off buying Bullet Witch...

Reviewers love quantity over quality.
Gamers love quality over quantity.

Reviewers love robust and complete online modes so they know what's there when they dole out their grades so they can move on to the next game.
Gamers love games that parse out content over time so they can keep revisiting the titles they buy again and again.

Reviewers that don't care for racing games will often review racing games.
Gamers that don't care for racing games won't be buying racing games... only the ones that enjoy racing games will.

It's going to be OK gaffer. No need to generalize that much. If you enjoy it, enjoy it. Do you. Word of mouth will drive sales if the reviews dont add up. Right now, the experience seems divisive.

driver116

The Destructoid review by Dale North (who's basically unassailable, in terms of his editorial credibility for racers) fits closest to my reactions. Which regards a lot of the positives, but notes the real issues that pull back the experience. Even just from his intro, you can tell he understands and appreciates what the game tries to do.

The AI created problems when it came to on-the-track gameplay

On a superficial note, he points out visual problems though that I hadn't heard about, pre-release.

He bashes it for 'bugs with the UI and networking'. Yeesh

Mononoke

Banned
So MS pays for parity and for bad 1st party Sony reviews?

j/k

Parity wouldn't be that far fetched. But reviews..lol no. I mean, at best there could be a personal bias, as a lot of reviewers are gamers too, and can have personal preferences to platforms/ the type of games they put out.

p3tran

Banned
The thing to keep in mind with FM5 is that the reviews reflect the state of the game at launch. A LOT has changed since. I agree with most of the negative points in the FM5 reviews but having finally played the game for the first time 2 months ago I also agree that the game is amazing.

well, it may come to you as a surprise, but forza 5 played exactly the same amazing as you found it two months ago, since the very first day it shipped.

;)

Phil Kollar, for all the shit he got for 7.5 TLoU, is actually a decent reviewer when it comes to racing games. He understands the fundamentals of racing games and isn't blind-sided by the 'checklist' of racing games like drivelines, etc.

No I don't care he gave TLoU a 7.5 so his opinion is worthless in my eyes. If a reviewer cannot accurately determine the quality of a game what good are they to me?

Zia

Blech. And I was hoping I'd have something this-gen to play on my PS4 year fucking two of the console's life.

benzy

You're really comparing Driveclub to Enchanted Arms??

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

The AI created problems when it came to on-the-track gameplay

I just read the review. He barely skims how well designed this game is, and those visual bugs must be his PS4 crapping out because I've never seen any of the sort, and I'm level 32.

If you don't like trading paint with the AI raise the difficulty, I'm sure you won't be smashing into them around bends because you're gonna be eating their dust.

If you don't know how to properly brake and avoid collisions around corners then you just don't know what an actual race entails.

Megasoum

Banned
well, it may come to you as a surprise, but forza 5 played exactly the same amazing as you found it two months ago, since the very first day it shipped.

;)

Well yeah... the actual racing was mostly the same (I think the Drivatar improved overtime as they got more data post release though) but everything around it changed a lot.

Anyway, we'll stop talking about Forza in here lol.

shmoglish

I really like this game, whats wrong With me (80+ so far. Looks great, the tracks Are well designed and driving feels very good)

GlamFM

Banned
I just read the review. He barely skims how well designed this game is, and those visual bugs must be his PS4 crapping out because I've never seen any of the sort, and I'm level 32.

If you don't like trading paint with the AI raise the difficulty, I'm sure you won't be smashing into them around bends because you're gonna be eating their dust.

If you don't know how to properly brake and avoid collisions around corners then you just don't know what an actual race entails.

I´ve seen people in the OT with the same graphical issues he describes.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Dude, really?

Its not even subtle anymore at this point.

I'm surprised almost an extra year of dev time wasn't enough to stop the AI from ramming you off the road from behind.

I suspect that the AI is exactly how they intended it, as they wanted to replicate the online experience (which will be people ramming you at every turn). This is all a product of the fact that there's no mechanical damage or other disincentive resulting from collisions. I guess Evolution thought that collisions would result in more "fun" for casual players, but making collisions lack consequences for the instigator makes it feel a bit like they're not very serious about actual racing.

Gestault

Someone just linked me to a lot of other users seeing the same thing, re: the visual issues. Also, accusing Dale North of being bad at racing games is a silly way to defend how you feel about the game.

Top Bottom