• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

There are 55 courses in the fucking game. 55. How is that even remotely considered racing the same tracks over and over again?
There are 5 locations and the biggest difference between them is slightly different species of trees and different types of rock.
Honestly, I would have been much more hyped for this game if it had been PGR5 in all but name, along with amazing looking city courses, as opposed to point-to-point winding country roads.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Of course it's allowed, but that doesn't make it any less of a ridiculous comparison.

He isn't drawing comparisons between the games directly. He is drawing comparisons to the OT for the games and the similar situations they are in. Early in the life of a system being released to a install base hungry for games.

Curufinwe

That's hardly surprising.

I remember when Enchanted Arms came out it got trashed by reviews. 'Just another bog standard JRPG, doesn't do anything interesting'. Well the game community at the time thought that was an unfair criticism. They thought that Enchanted Arms was a solid if unremarkable JRPG and that criticising it for things it wasn't was unfair. Penny Arcade wrote a blog post about how Enchanted Arms was actually a really good game, and then they paired that with a comic mocking the reviewers.

Penny Arcade also went after reviewers who dared to give AC a score below 8. That's when I realized they were not to be trusted.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
7I3qyAh.jpg

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I never said it is objectively bland.....

Yes I talked to dozens of managers.....because I personally know them. Your original post implies all low reviews are wrong and Im simply stating that there are people not into the game. It seemed awfully bland to me personally but as I said Ill reserve final judgement for when I play it this week.

Dude even if they were presidents of their respective countries, that doesn't make their opinions "right". There's no such thing as a bad opinion but they're judgement (as well as the reviewers) of this game are opinionated to the point of sounding pedantic about their preferences.

If you don't like a certain aspect of the game, that's fine, after all it's just your opinion. But when you judge this game on based on the pillars of racing, that is handling, sense of speed, track layout, track design and scenery, and all those social features that streamline the intrinsically competitive nature of racing games, it's by far, the best I've seen in a long time.

It's a damn good game and those reviews are therefore bad for not effectively articulating why. They're just whining. And admitting you scored the game low for sucking at the game doesn't give you a free pass either.

Auctopus

Visiting Metacritic to see '0 reviews' for my favourite games used to be a favourite of mine but just getting linked to the Driveclub scores reminds me why I don't take that site seriously.

"Worthy of two generations past."
"The game is very linear...but for now do not recommend buying this game, when you have Projects Cars and The Crew."

and a personal favourite...

"ITS A FACKIN **** SUKA THIS IS GOVNO EBANOE 50 VEHICLES ITS A MALO BLYAT LOL GRAFICKA DOWNGRADED IZ-ZA LITTLE MOSHNOST PS4 EBAT NA YEAR PERENESLI I VSYO-ROVNO ZDELALI **** POZOR NA HEAD RAZRABOTCHIKS"

Honestly, the complaint for invisible walls has to get to me the most. Why the hell do you feel the need to leave the track and go drive up the mountain? Yes, it's great to have freedom in a game but it's like walking in to a house's kitchen in Call of Duty and complaing that the game doesn't let you use the stove.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Someone just linked me to a lot of other users seeing the same thing, re: the visual issues. Also, accusing Dale North of being bad at racing games is a silly way to defend how you feel about the game.

Dale North is just one guy. I'm sure many of us on this forum have played just as many racing games as he has.

What makes his opinion so credited over the likes of average gamers raving about the game?

If you'd rather miss out on a really good game based on one guy's opinion over that of many other experienced gamers, then it's your loss, really.

Okthats what I thought it meant... Didnt knew it had a name... It's a disorder now? Man... We try and find diseases in everything. Its just weather people, and getting bummed when it rains is normal... holy shit I'm sick of those 'disorders' everywhere.
Anyway, sorry for off topic

It's actually much more than that.

Why not try educating yourself on the issue so you don't come across as insensitive to other people's problems, people might like you.

ImadKhan

Not sure if this has been been posted yet.

3.5/5 review by Miguel Concepcion

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/driveclub-review/

If you’re willing to take a chance on Driveclub, it rewards you with its all-business design and impressively brief loading times. From a content perspective, it lands smack dab between “bare bones” and “feature-packed,” with just enough content that it can’t be classified as a glorified starter pack. It’s a racing game with just the essentials plus added social incentives that let you compete at your own pace, as long as you’re not the compulsive type who needs to win every challenge.

While Sony hasn’t announced post-release plans for Driveclub beyond the next eight months of DLC releases, the game has enough of a solid foundation to support a wealth of expansions throughout the lifecycle of the PlayStation 4.

Okthats what I thought it meant... Didnt knew it had a name... It's a disorder now? Man... We try and find diseases in everything. Its just weather people, and getting bummed when it rains is normal... holy shit I'm sick of those 'disorders' everywhere.
Anyway, sorry for off topic

It's related to depression, I suffer from it, and it isn't all about 'getting bummed out because it's raining'.

Fnord

I haven't read through all of the reviews yet, but from the blurbs I've read, it seems as though the folks giving it fair to bad reviews were expecting something other than a racing game. Where you do nothing but, you know, race. If that's the biggest complaint, then I'm all in. I don't need a shoehorned, trite story to justify why I'm racing. I don't need an open world to explore. I need well designed tracks, cars that feel and handle right, and time.

Serick

Married Member
/flamesuiton

But has anyone played both Horizon 2 and DriveClub at this point? I don't really have time to invest into 2 different racing games... quick preferences summary?

Not looking to start a war here, just get an idea of where I should invest my time/money.

For reference - Hate GT/Forza, Love Burnout/NFS/Dirt/GRID/Motorstorm.

Edit: Also soundtrack is a big deal... almost leaning Horizon 2 for the soundtrack alone.

T.O.P

Banned
Been watching this guy on twitch for a while now and it pretty much confirmed my thoughts on the game

http://www.twitch.tv/trig8787

I decided to skip for now and wait for a 20€ price or something

Maybe once the free dlcs and the weather patch hits it might have more appeal, as of now it just looks bland and unfinished imo

Gestault

Dale North is just one guy. I'm sure many of us on this forum have played just as many racing games as he has.

What makes his opinion so credited over the likes of average gamers raving about the game?

If you'd rather miss out on a really good game based on one guy's opinion over that of many other experienced gamers, then it's your loss, really.

His history of enjoying and writing about racing games, both sim and arcade, is why his opinion has merit for me. Which was why I quoted from the review. I also gave no impression this was a "baby with the bathwater" situation. Your response to seeing his opinion was to discredit him by saying he's bad at racing, and that's why he doesn't like the game. You also said his comment on some visual quirks was baseless, even though we're seeing comments, video and images backing up his observations from other NeoGAF users.

Chabbles

Metacritic 73 and decreasing...

My friend also agreed that it is soulless, bland, frustrating, and dull. He has seasonal affect disorder and the washed out colors and too much cloudy skies made him feel sad when playing it. I understand that how other developers have a better grasp on art direction and make games that are vibrant and fun.

Oh man.. Dude, we get it, you like shitting on Driveclub. But thats some dumb shit to post about a video game.. but if your not trolling, then Driveclub must have the most realistic environmental effects in a video game.

BiGBoSSMk23

Out of curiosity, did any other fence-sitters actually get sold on Driveclub today?

I've been casually lurking DC threads for some time and it mostly seemed like two extremist groups -- trolls vs. pre-release hype -- were just constantly beating on each other and drowning out everyone else. It was really hard to take anyone seriously when everything was so black and white.

Reading through the reviews, it was nice to get a more balanced and realistic view of the game. The USGamer and Gamersyde sets in particular were pretty great.

That is so backwards and twisted.

I get being on a budget and paying full price for a game is a gamble but you'd rather be swayed away by people that play games briefly to issue scores than those who actively get invested and excited over it?

smh

Ricky_R

/flamesuiton

But has anyone played both Horizon 2 and DriveClub at this point? I don't really have time to invest into 2 different racing games... quick preferences summary?

Not looking to start a war here, just get an idea of where I should invest my time/money.

You're better off reading a couple of impressions from both OT's by members who you think are being genuine and neutral about their experience with either or both games.

Most never even try, which is disappointing. I think Bish would appreciate some effort.

Exactly, would be refreshing if he actually could do it.

Serick

Married Member
You're better off reading a couple of impressions from both OT's by members who you think are being genuine and neutral about their experience with either or both games.

I did, still torn 50/50.. I'm in meltdown mode trying to decide.

/flamesuiton

For reference - Hate GT/Forza, Love Burnout/NFS/Dirt/GRID.

From what I've played I think Horizon 2 is far superior. But as I've mentioned I haven't played the full final version of DriveClub so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Also both games are quite a bit different in design so it also will come down to what you're looking for

Exactly what I was expecting from reviews. I think a lot of it has to do with them delaying the game a year and still having to patch in a bunch of the content post-launch.

I'll probably stick with the PS+ version unless later updates really put the game over the top.

I honestly think Bloodborne will be the first PS4 game with a high metacritic score.

Infamous ss (80), mlb 13 (83), tlou remastered (95), resogun (84) not high scoring enough? Hell, I even left out many other games that will not see the light of day on xone (velocity 2x, transistor etc,)because of their presence on pc.

/flamesuiton

I have played about 20 minutes of DriveClub and about 6 hours of FH2. My initial impressions are that they are very different games. Besides the obvious open world vs circuit I find that DriveClub expects you to actually drive appropriately. Less crashing into everyone else or sliding off the track. The penalization system can be harsh but the points given are rewarded for everything so it balances out.

FH2 is a lot more lenient when it comes to scraping paint with other racers. You're penalized for crashes by losing XP but it doesn't feel like that much of a penalty.

BiGBoSSMk23

His history of enjoying and writing about racing games, both sim and arcade, is why his opinion has merit for me. Which was why I quoted from the review. I also gave no impression this was a "baby with the bathwater" situation. Your response to seeing his opinion was to discredit him by saying he's bad at racing, and that's why he doesn't like the game. You also said his comment on some visual quirks was baseless, even though we're seeing comments, video and images backing up his observations from other NeoGAF users.

You're acting like it's some sort of scandal that some people are reporting visual issues.

What's your point?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Not sure if this has been been posted yet.

3.5/5 review by Miguel Concepcion

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/driveclub-review/

If you’re willing to take a chance on Driveclub, it rewards you with its all-business design and impressively brief loading times. From a content perspective, it lands smack dab between “bare bones” and “feature-packed,” with just enough content that it can’t be classified as a glorified starter pack. It’s a racing game with just the essentials plus added social incentives that let you compete at your own pace, as long as you’re not the compulsive type who needs to win every challenge.

While Sony hasn’t announced post-release plans for Driveclub beyond the next eight months of DLC releases, the game has enough of a solid foundation to support a wealth of expansions throughout the lifecycle of the PlayStation 4.

Wow, rewarded with an 'all-business design and impressively brief loading times'? He's really selling it.

driver116

Oh man.. Dude, we get it, you like shitting on Driveclub. But thats some dumb shit to post about a video game.. but if your not trolling, then Driveclub must have the most realistic environmental effects in a video game.

He's practically bashed DC for weeks now hence the ban I imagine.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
That is so backwards and twisted.

I get being on a budget and paying full price for a game is a gamble but you'd rather be swayed away by people that play games briefly to issue scores than those who actively get invested and excited over it?

smh

yeah, listen to this guy, the guy with the driveclub avatar.

Serick

Married Member
That's what I was gonna say next. Maybe try both demos before deciding.

I guess I'm going to have to wait for the PS+ of DC... I was actually really impressed with the H2 demo. Played everything it had to offer till it came up with the pre-order screen.

FH2 is a lot more lenient when it comes to scraping paint with other racers. You're penalized for crashes by losing XP but it doesn't feel like that much of a penalty.

This might push me to FH2 alone... I don't have a steering wheel, nor get super into the games (which is why I was actually okay with DC having no tuning to speak of) so I end up running off road and into shit pretty often...

How is the sense of speed on DC compared to FH2?

VanWinkle

Someone just linked me to a lot of other users seeing the same thing, re: the visual issues. Also, accusing Dale North of being bad at racing games is a silly way to defend how you feel about the game.

Are you going to try the PS+ Edition? Curious if your opinion changes at all when you play the game.

Kalnos

Banned
So hilarious certain posters predictably do this over and over. Picking among the worst review out of dozens and dozens, and then basing one's entire opinion around it.

Here's a few that don't seem to understand that one really bad or average review doesn't mean the entire game is, nor that there aren't other reviews to the contrary.

You didn't really prove your 'certain posters doing it over and over' accusation when you just focused on posts in this thread.

I give your effort a 6/10.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
All check.

Review threads of Sony exclusives are the best ones.

I'm looking forward to The Order 1886, although it's going to be hard to top Destiny.

Not saying I want any game to be a disappointment, but it's always interesting to see how hard some people try to "discredit" reviews they disagree with.

Top Bottom