• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

/flamesuiton

But has anyone played both Horizon 2 and DriveClub at this point? I don't really have time to invest into 2 different racing games... quick preferences summary?

Not looking to start a war here, just get an idea of where I should invest my time/money.

For reference - Hate GT/Forza, Love Burnout/NFS/Dirt/GRID/Motorstorm.

Edit: Also soundtrack is a big deal... almost leaning Horizon 2 for the soundtrack alone.

I've played about 6-8 hours of Forza Horizon 2, and 2 hours of Driveclub.

They are very different games, but both excellent. My main enjoyment in Forza Horizon 2 comes from simply driving around the world, exploring, and customizing my cars. I've actually done very little racing in terms of the main events.

Driveclub is very focused on one thing - RACING. If you enjoy circuit tracks and things like trying to shave seconds off of your lap times, it's probably more up your alley.

In my experience so far, I've found the actual racing component to be more enjoyable in Driveclub, it's got an unmatched feeling of speed and the aggressive AI makes it really nailbiting.

So I'd say the better game will end up being whatever appeals to you more - fucking around in an huge and gorgeous world packed with a bunch of stuff to do, or really focused track events.

Business

Opinions, how do they work. The quality of the game was 7.5 for him so thats accurate for him

Yeah that's fine on a videogame forum but his job is to review games and not only for the sake of reviewing games, but with the purpose to give an idea to the general public of what the game is like before they get the game in their hands. If his opinion ends up far away from that vast majority of the general public opinion after testing the game, maybe that's not the right job for him.

Fake edit: Sorry for contribuiting a bit to derail the thread with TLoU.

T.O.P

Banned
You can try the India tracks for free.

Can i get the 2 weeks of plus free if i create a new account? the one on my main account expired a couple of months ago and i didn't bother to renew it

Not buying a month just for this as of now, other stuff to play atm

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm looking forward to The Order 1886, although it's going to be hard to top Destiny.

Not saying I want any game to be a disappointment, but it's always interesting to see how hard some people try to "discredit" reviews they disagree with.

Also just as funny seeing people trying to use reviews as validation for writing off a game entirely due to fanboy bullshit or other (not saying you btw).

ClearData

I think Evolution has a sold foundation here. The DLC and feedback from the community should propel Driveclub forward. I think I'll enjoy this game and the sequel has the potential to be amazing right out of the gate.

Nokterian

Ooooh! I'll take that wager.

You round up the names of the folks saying "if the game is fun, why complain" in this thread. Cross reference those names against a resolution thread of your choice. For the sake of argument and to give you a sporting chance, we'll mark "most" as 50% +1.

3 PM Pacific should give you enough time. See you then.

Shit just got real.

wGvqHj8.gif

Also some people here my god..impressions from gaf are way better and i am looking forward to have this game just because it gives me what i want. Having fun and compete towards one another. No silly story's,rewind mode and what not. Just me the road and getting from point A to B very fast.

Can i get the 2 weeks of plus free if i create a new account? the one on my main account expired a couple of months ago and i didn't bother to renew it

Not buying a month just for this as of now, other stuff to play atm

I have no idea, I just assumed you had Plus, sorry!

Im still going to buy this, but I am going to wait for one of those "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sales.

Not so much because of the reviews, more so because I am not big into realistic racers.

Serick

Married Member
From what I've played I think Horizon 2 is far superior. But as I've mentioned I haven't played the full final version of DriveClub so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Also both games are quite a bit different in design so it also will come down to what you're looking for

I have played about 20 minutes of DriveClub and about 6 hours of FH2. My initial impressions are that they are very different games. Besides the obvious open world vs circuit I find that DriveClub expects you to actually drive appropriately. Less crashing into everyone else or sliding off the track. The penalization system can be harsh but the points given are rewarded for everything so it balances out.

FH2 is a lot more lenient when it comes to scraping paint with other racers. You're penalized for crashes by losing XP but it doesn't feel like that much of a penalty.

I've played about 6-8 hours of Forza Horizon 2, and 2 hours of Driveclub.

They are very different games, but both excellent. My main enjoyment in Forza Horizon 2 comes from simply driving around the world, exploring, and customizing my cars. I've actually done very little racing in terms of the main events.

Driveclub is very focused on one thing - RACING. If you enjoy circuit tracks and things like trying to shave seconds off of your lap times, it's probably more up your alley.

In my experience so far, I've found the actual racing component to be more enjoyable in Driveclub, it's got an unmatched feeling of speed and the aggressive AI makes it really nailbiting.

So I'd say the better game will end up being whatever appeals to you more - fucking around in an huge and gorgeous world packed with a bunch of stuff to do, or really focused track events.

Thanks all for the impressions. Great information to consider.

That is so backwards and twisted.

I get being on a budget and paying full price for a game is a gamble but you'd rather be swayed away by people that play games briefly to issue scores than those who actively get invested and excited over it?

smh

The guys playing games briefly to issue scores are obviously going to give a more realistic assessment than "those who actively get invested and excited over it".

If you are invested in something, and excited about it, you are far less likely to give an unbiased opinion.

This is obvious.

I'd wager that most of the people suggesting that "if the game is fun, why complain" are the people who like to get involved in the 1080/900 60/30 discussions. The same applies there.

Ooooh! I'll take that wager.

You round up the names of the folks saying "if the game is fun, why complain" in this thread. Cross reference those names against a resolution thread of your choice. For the sake of argument and to give you a sporting chance, we'll mark "most" as 50% +1.

3 PM Pacific should give you enough time. See you then.

Damn, Spades.

When keeping it real goes wrong.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The guys playing games briefly to issue scores are obviously going to give a more realistic assessment than "those who actively get invested and excited over it".

If you are invested in something, and excited about it, you are far less likely to give an unbiased opinion.

This is obvious.
Do you really believe that the people that play games briefly are the best at assessing a game's quality?

derExperte

Yeah that's fine on a videogame forum but his job is to review games and not only for the sake of reviewing games, but with the purpose to give an idea to the general public of what the game is like before they get the game in their hands. If his opinion ends up far away from that vast majority of the general public opinion after testing the game, maybe that's not the right job for him.

Fake edit: Sorry for contribuiting a bit to derail the thread with TLoU.

Even the most respected movie and music critics have shat on stuff that became a classic later on. They're not reviewing washing machines or lawn mowers (though I suspect somewhere someone is arguing about those on a forum too). And 7.5 isn't close to bad.

This is obvious.

I'm sure those real humans giving 'realistic assessments' are magical individuals who have no inherent bias.

You're basically saying if somebody enjoys something, they must be wrong because they're invested in it.

lol no prob, i'll see what i can do

Anyway, holy shit the music is repetitive as hell

I have turned the in-game music on all day, it keeps popping up in the menus though, and as much as I love Hybrid I don't want to hear them for eight hours straight. I doubt I'd use custom soundtracks if we had them though, I don't like it somehow.

BeeDog

Worse reviews than I was expecting, which does concern me a bit. But I've really liked what I've seen from videos and so on, and my Special Edition is showing up tomorrow anyhow, so I'm jumping in regardless... Curious if I'll dig it like many posters seem to do in the official thread.

I'm looking forward to The Order 1886, although it's going to be hard to top Destiny.

Not saying I want any game to be a disappointment, but it's always interesting to see how hard some people try to "discredit" reviews they disagree with.

Its also fun to watch people ignore the great reviews and hone in only on the negative ones.

Thanks all for the impressions. Great information to consider.

A strange thing I'd like to add, and this doesn't have much to do with anything, but Forza Horizon 2 has actually scratched my Motorstorm itch with some of its off road racing events.

DriveClub is, quite clearly, going for something different.

Seventy70

To me it's not hard to believe that this score got mostly around 7.5. It seems like an alright racing game that doesn't really bring anything amazing to the table. 7.5 is exactly what those types of games should get. They are not a pain to play, but they aren't amazing either. I'm sure there are people that would rate this game 10/10, but most reviews are mostly supposed to tell what and average gamer would think of the game. I still don't know why some people are throwing hissy fits over the scores.

VanWinkle

Absolutely. I've been saying as much right along in basically every conversation about this game I've had. I've also been steady pointing out the elements I've been happy are well executed or seem like they will be.

Oh I didn't think you were overtly negative, but you aren't exactly ecstatic obviously, and as somebody who seems to love racing games, I'm interested in what your opinion will be once you get your hands on it.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
yeah, listen to this guy, the guy with the driveclub avatar.

What does that even mean? LOL

That I liked the game? Yeah, nice observation there Sherlock.

If you're assuming/implying I'm a blind sheep to the game's "glaring flaws" for sporting the game's logo then you're way off base.

Gestault

Oh I didn't think you were overtly negative, but you aren't exactly ecstatic obviously, and as somebody who seems to love racing games, I'm interested in what your opinion will be once you get your hands on it.

Spoiler alert: I'm probably going to love it, lol. The "active scoreboard" element of something like Geometry Wars 2 being successfully built into a racer with mechanics that draw in a lot of players is a match made in heaven. Any game has quirks, and I won't ignore them if I'm talking about it critically, but that won't stop me from enjoying what's there.

ShutterMunster

I absolutely adore it. I don't really understand what these other cats were expecting. My main gripes are car selection is too small, the world is not represented well enough in terms of car type and manufacturer, the whole paint job selection thing is unnecessarily obtuse, and there are not enough racer models. The last one is so minor being as though you rarely see your guy's face.

The handling model is incredible. I've found the A.I to be adequately challenging and dare I say...human? They are NOWHERE NEAR as aggressive and psychopathic as the Forza 5 driveatars which ruined a lot of the enjoyment of that game for me.

I don't really read reviews to be honest, but from the outside looking in this gen has been full of really harsh review scores. I guess these guys have to make a name for themselves somehow.

nib95

Banned
You didn't really prove your 'certain posters doing it over and over' accusation when you just focused on posts in this thread.

I give your effort a 6/10.

That cool_dude or whatever is doing it in this very thread. One or two others seem to have a penchant for focusing on the negatives too.

I also didn't mean the very same posters posting negative reviews over and over in every other review thread, I doubt they'd stick around for long if they did. I meant it's predictable that in some review threads, posters with certain slants tend to focus on the lower scoring reviews to highlight, or to sway or formulate their opinions.

As my quotes show, certain posters clamouring on to this being the PS4's LAIR, or saying they expected 7/10's as if there weren't loads. Then there's the 50% club comment and follow up etc.

Spoiler alert: I'm probably going to love it, lol.

I really didn't think I was going to love it as much as I do, so it's surprised me. I prefer Outrun and Burnout usually, but having to feather the throttle and having to actually brake to slow down rather than start a power slide has been refreshing. I reckon I'll struggle as the difficulty rises, but I'll either stick with it and overcome, or I'll have had enough by that point anyway.

Some of the Scotland, Norway and Canada tracks are wonderful to race on.

Collectively, they mirror the average gamer's opinion.

That still makes zero sense, it's like saying all plasticine is brown because that's what you get when you mush all the colours together.

Hubble

/flamesuiton

But has anyone played both Horizon 2 and DriveClub at this point? I don't really have time to invest into 2 different racing games... quick preferences summary?

Not looking to start a war here, just get an idea of where I should invest my time/money.

For reference - Hate GT/Forza, Love Burnout/NFS/Dirt/GRID/Motorstorm.

Edit: Also soundtrack is a big deal... almost leaning Horizon 2 for the soundtrack alone.

Yes.

IMO if you want gameplay and a more 'fun' experience look for Forza Horizon 2. The breadth of the game is just there and there is much more to do. Forza Horizon 2 clubs offers more than DriveClub in playing with friends. Check out some reviews for more information.

DriveClub is pretty but feels like a shell while playing. It's a great idea of adding a big social component into the racer but that falls wayyyyyy too short, so it is a shame they didn't compensate enough and the options of racing are limited. So far, it seems like it is just times being associated with your friends. I expected much more for this title being marketed as social. Forza Horizon 2 there is plenty of more to do. Right at the moment you begin, you can be entertained just free roaming for hours exploring finding new things, to racing options, online gametypes,, etc., etc., and the presentation really surprised me getting you into it and the festival that I did not expect. Anyhow, my quick impressions is Forza offers more variety and fun while DriveClub is strictly racing, which isn't a bad thing if that's your cup of tea. I'm just disappointed about the social thing.

And also not trying to start a war - just sharing thoughts.

Yes.

IMO if you want gameplay and a more 'fun' experience get Forza Horizon 2. The breadth of the game is just there and there is much more to do. Forza Horizon 2 clubs offers more than DriveClub in playing with friends. Check out some reviews for more information.

DriveClub is pretty but feels like a shell while playing. It's a great idea of adding a big social component into the racer but that falls wayyyyyy too short, so it is a shame they didn't compensate enough and the options of racing are limited. So far, it seems like it is just times being associated with your friends. I expected much more for this title being marketed as social. Forza Horizon 2 there is plenty of more to do. Right at the moment you begin, you can be entertained just free roaming for hours exploring finding new things, to racing options, online gametypes,, etc., etc., and the presentation really surprised me getting you into it and the festival. Anyhow, my quick impressions is Forza offers more variety and run while DriveClub is strictly racing, which isn't a bad thing if that's your cup of tea. I'm just disappointed.

And also not trying to start a war - just sharing thoughts

Considering the DC servers have been pretty much constantly down since the game release I don't know how much you could have dove into it's MP and social offerings. I wasn't even able to touch them when I was playing last night.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

This is obvious.

Unbiased? I'm not so sure about that.

Granted I'm not a certified "game journalist/reviewer"

Reviewers aren't hired or chosen because their opinions are likely to be the consensus of millions of others, they're just people with journalistic backgrounds who have experience in gaming.

I have just as much experience in gaming, as do many other users in Official Topics, we could all be Angry Joes if we wanted, and my glowing opinion of this game is just as valid as those who strayed off in their articles with trifles about the way this game was designed in comparison to other games which they gave more favorable reviews.

Since when are objective reviews written as comparison pieces?

If you wanna talk bias, there's a pretty glaring one.

zoukka

I meant it's predictable that in some review threads, posters with certain slants tend to focus on the lower scoring reviews to sway or formulate their opinions.

Just like some people only focus on high scoring reviews. What's new?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Hm. So another hyped title that the bigger sites don't pander to.

Gotta say I'm kinda liking this trend. Luckily this game will be free in one form so I'll grab the PS Plus edition at least.

Business

Even the most respected movie and music critics have shat on stuff that became a classic later on. They're not reviewing washing machines or lawn mowers (though I suspect somewhere someone is arguing about those on a forum too). And 7.5 isn't close to bad.

I can agree anyone can make a mistake of course.

Regarding scores 7.5 was pretty good at school and maybe for washing machines too (I don't know) but it's mediocre in videogames, it always has been. We can agree the scale is fucked up but I've been watching review scores for more than 20 years and 7.5 means mediocre.

Top Bottom