• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

I can agree anyone can make a mistake of course.

Regarding scores 7.5 was pretty good at school and maybe for washing machines too (I don't know) but it's mediocre in videogames, it always has been. We can agree the scale is fucked up but I've been watching review scores for more than 20 years and 7.5 means mediocre.

If you've been watching scores for that long, you must have also seen a ton of great games that you love get 7s and 7.5s. Because it happens all the time.

driver116

ibuGWoZabEnopW.png

What's your point?

Seventy70

Unbiased? I'm not so sure about that.

Granted I'm not a certified "game journalist/reviewer"

Reviewers aren't hired or chosen because their opinions are likely to be the consensus of millions of others, they're just people with journalistic backgrounds who have experience in gaming.

I have just as much experience in gaming, as do many other users in Official Topics, we could all be Angry Joes if we wanted, and my glowing opinion of this game is just as valid as those who strayed off in their articles with trifles about the way this game was designed in comparison to other games which they gave more favorable reviews.

Since when are objective reviews written as comparison pieces?

If you wanna talk bias, there's a pretty glaring one.

Show me where it says in the Review Constitution™ that all game reviews are meant to be treated equally. Each website has different ideas about what a review should be about. The people that are going to get the most use out of these reviews are the ones that want a racer, so it makes sense for most websites to put it into context. For most fans of the racing genre, this isn't a must have game and probably isn't going to be worth $60 to them.

23qwerty

I don't know how people can only look at the mediocre scores and call this mediocre when there's plenty of high scores.
(Oh wait I do know how people can do that)

sqwarlock

Been watching this guy on twitch for a while now and it pretty much confirmed my thoughts on the game

http://www.twitch.tv/trig8787

I decided to skip for now and wait for a 20€ price or something

Maybe once the free dlcs and the weather patch hits it might have more appeal, as of now it just looks bland and unfinished imo

This guy is frustrating to watch. Running into walls and other cars on every turn. He's playing it like it's Burnout or something. Game looks great though, and I'm looking forward to playing the PS+ version at least.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So why single them out or give any shits about it? I don't see you chasing people who are biased for Sony games even though the same double standards might apply.
He made a statement and then bish said he needs to back it up. He then delivered and hasn't been banned yet.

A different poster got a different challenge by bish.

You're not being helpful. I look at that image and am confused - so don't be rude.
I would also like to know the motivation or question the image seeks to answer. I mean I see the colors and such, but it was just posted without context or commentary and everyone should just know what point is is making.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Yes.

IMO if you want gameplay and a more 'fun' experience...

Last time I checked I think there is also "gameplay" in DriveClub... and better driving model too.

If by gameplay you're implying open-world layout, then there's no comparison here, if that's your preference you shouldn't even be considering DriveClub.

...look for Forza Horizon 2. The breadth of the game is just there and there is much more to do. Forza Horizon 2 clubs offers more than DriveClub in playing with friends. Check out some reviews for more information.

DriveClub is pretty but feels like a shell while playing.

It really doesn't. You've forgotten what constitutes a racing game if you're declaring DC a shell for the reasons listed below.

It's a great idea of adding a big social component into the racer but that falls wayyyyyy too short, so it is a shame they didn't compensate enough and the options of racing are limited. So far, it seems like it is just times being associated with your friends. I expected much more for this title being marketed as social. Forza Horizon 2 there is plenty of more to do. Right at the moment you begin, you can be entertained just free roaming for hours exploring finding new things, to racing options, online gametypes,, etc., etc., and the presentation really surprised me getting you into it and the festival that I did not expect. Anyhow, my quick impressions is Forza offers more variety and fun while DriveClub is strictly racing, which isn't a bad thing if that's your cup of tea. I'm just disappointed about the social thing.

And also not trying to start a war - just sharing thoughts.

Having more to do doesn't objectively make a racing game better. You're just entertaining the idea of sandbox game design more than strictly racing, and marking down a racer for sticking to its purpose is dismissing the foundations of the entire genre.

When it comes to driving fast cars skillfully in beautifully rendered locales, around challenging track designs, with your friends' skills literally painted onto the pavement for you to compete with, for all the bells and whistles you can put on Forza, it just doesn't hold a candle to Driveclub.

It is, in the purest sense, driving at its finest.

To call this game a shell, and soul less and bland, is insultingly ignorant.

nib95

Banned
So why single them out or give any shits about it? I don't see you chasing people who are biased for Sony games even though the same double standards might apply.

I don't post nearly enough in the said review threads to notice. Generally I spend more time in the review threads for the games I am interested in, or may intend to buy.

Side note, here's what I said about the review thing.

What about GT's 8.6, or Videogamer's 8? CVG's 8? IGN's 7.9? There's a reason the game's average score is above 70 and not 50. It seems to be a very divisive game, which means you ought to look at it from the perspective of what you yourself are looking for in a racer based on the commentary, not just a review score itself. For example, are things like track based racing, lack of driving lines and rewind options, aggressive AI etc things that really put you off? If so, this might not be for you, if however they're not, then look at the other reviews that took less of an issue with these things.

Servbot24

Banned

Regarding scores 7.5 was pretty good at school and maybe for washing machines too (I don't know) but it's mediocre in videogames, it always has been. We can agree the scale is fucked up but I've been watching review scores for more than 20 years and 7.5 means mediocre.

It's mediocre by comparison, but taken on their own terms they are usually competent and fun games.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Show me where it says in the Review Constitution™ that all game reviews are meant to be treated equally. Each website has different ideas about what a review should be about. The people that are going to get the most use out of these reviews are the ones that want a racer, so it makes sense for most websites to put it into context. For most fans of the racing genre, this isn't a must have game and probably isn't going to be worth $60 to them.

The thing is everyone is assuming Forza Horizon 2 is more of a racer, and a better racer than Driveclub for being a sandbox racer.

That's ridiculous, and I don't need to show you the Reviewe Constitution (nice one) to prove that. It's just logic.

The gaming community (not the racing community) has grown a boner for sandbox games, and that's a damn shame, because we're dismissing quality games that do everything right, but didn't do it right the way we've grown accustomed to.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Honeslty, no.

Scoring has inflated hardcore in the previous gen. 7-8 used to be good games, for the most part. It isn't so much of that part of the scale being broken as much as the high end of the scale being broken. WAY too many games in the 9+ range.

I'm actually enjoying it thus far. I'm not but maybe Lvl3 or so, but as of right now I'd give it an 8/10. All just my opinion up to this point. The driving feels great, like a blend between Simulation and Arcade. Fun! Fun! Now just to balance my time between DriveClub and Forza Horizon 2, & Destiny. Next is Lords of the Fallen on Oct. 28th. That looks like a great blend of Zelda / Dark Souls / DarkSiders, I think it may be a sleeper hit.

Daffy Duck

7.5 on a scale of 10 does equate to mediocre!

It should equate to good. Mediocre would be 5.

Unless you're using the modern scale which starts at 6/7 for some.

rac

Banned
The gaming community (not the racing community) has grown a boner for sandbox games, and that's a damn shame, because we're dismissing quality games that do everything right, but didn't do it right the way we've grown accustomed to.

What games are doing everything right? I'd like to play them.

Hubble

Last time I checked I think there is also "gameplay" in DriveClub... and better driving model too.

If by gameplay you're implying open-world layout, then there's no comparison here, if that's your preference you shouldn't even be considering DriveClub.

It really doesn't. You've forgotten what constitutes a racing game if you're declaring DC a shell for the reasons listed below.

Having more to do doesn't objectively make a racing game better. You're just entertaining the idea of sandbox game design more than strictly racing, and marking down a racer for sticking to its purpose is dismissing the foundations of the entire genre.

When it comes to driving fast cars skillfully in beautifully rendered locales, around challenging track designs, with your friends' skills literally painted onto the pavement for you to compete with, for all the bells and whistles you can put on Forza, it just doesn't hold a candle to Driveclub.

It is, in the purest sense, driving at its finest.

To call this game a shell, and soul less and bland, is insultingly ignorant.

No, not just that, in a lot of things and what I mean is I don't think this game will hold my attention for long when I mean gameplay and shell. And calling the game a shell is not insultingly ignorant at all. I enjoy playing but as I said I feel like all I am doing is racing while all the social aspects being touted seem very minimal so far to comparing times and the content (like the racing types) seems very little. Granted the servers have been down and I only got in a few hours but from what features I've seen I expected more from a title called "DriveClub" in the social department. We can disagree. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Seventy70

The thing is everyone is assuming Forza Horizon 2 is more of a racer, and a better racer than Driveclub for being a sandbox racer.

That's ridiculous, and I don't need to show you the Reviewe Constitution (nice one) to prove that. It's just logic.

Many gamers prefer sandbox games, and that's a damn shame, because they aren't enjoying games that I think are better
ftfy
It's silly to think that people don't like a game just because they aren't familiar with it. There are plenty of games that come out that do things differently and people love them. In fact, it's encouraged.

Drek

Collectively, they mirror the average gamer's opinion.

Tell that to Destiny's sales numbers. Or Madden's annual sales. Or every CoD game after the first MW. etc. etc..

I'd say we've seen a pretty massive divergence from what the mainstream gamer thinks and what reviewers give for scores. Driveclub is likely another legitimate example as some of the more negative reviews are basically chiding it for not being some new revolution to the racing genre or singlehandedly validating a PS4.

In fact, I'd argue that is a running theme in all too many Sony first party reviews. Every title is treated as if it needs to justify the existence of the system on it's own. They're the only first party still being held to the "system seller or GTFO" standard by a significant portion of the gaming press in nearly every review.

But then that was the case last generation as well with "is this the reason to buy a PS3?" teasers before every major exclusive's review until basically Uncharted 2. Just how the industry works (and by that I mean games journalism, as it's pretty clearly a fetish industry spawned off the video game industry and not actually relevant to video games as a whole anymore).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

So what's an 8?

Top Bottom