• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

keit4

Banned
ibuGWoZabEnopW.png

I hate this trend of announcing games way before the launch date.

I think they should tweak the drifting to be a tad easier to pull off and be a bit more forgiving. Maybe make the AI a little less aggressive. That can be patched up to address criticism.I had assumed the game would be more arcade than sim since it is a massive give away game so making it more casual friendly makes the most sense. I'm a bit shocked they went more to the sim side of design.

Sounds like a great racer marred by some content issues (which was to be expected). I need myself a more arcadey style racer in my library so I'll pick this up as planned. I'm pumped.

Still don't understand what the announcement dates have got to do with it.

He's making a statement about the length of time it took Evo too release DC after it was announced, and how two higher scoring Forza games came out in the same time and how he likes Forza and doesn't particularly like Sony's game but doesn't want to talk about it and then a bit about how somebody (was it Sony? I don't know) said DC was a 'Forza Killer' but it was 1976 and no one died.

Lmao.
Gold.

Or maybe this guy can explain it better, he seems to get the joke.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's the best alternative though.
It depends. Its the best alternative to see the average score of people who review games for certain outlets. If people argees to that average score (or with reviews in general), its something that will variate from person to person.

ShapeGSX

When it comes to driving fast cars skillfully in beautifully rendered locales, around challenging track designs, with your friends' skills literally painted onto the pavement for you to compete with, for all the bells and whistles you can put on Forza, it just doesn't hold a candle to Driveclub.

Have you played Forza Horizon 2?

watership

To be fair, MS has almost always had short announce/release schedules, especially compared to Sony. Actually production is another thing.

Driveclub has been a troubled project though, and I think there is more to the story of his development that any of us know. Reading some of the reviews, and watching the giant bomb quicklook, so many common racing features are just not there. Some are coming post launch sure, but the game was delayed a year already. I'd love to see a honest post-mortem.

test_account

XP-39C²
Lmao.
Gold.
What is the gold? Honest question. The picture just shows some average review scores, or am i missing something?

EDIT: I see now that the dark red color in the background is when the game was announced until it was released. I dont think that is too relevant because it is the developement time that is important.

I can agree anyone can make a mistake of course.

Regarding scores 7.5 was pretty good at school and maybe for washing machines too (I don't know) but it's mediocre in videogames, it always has been. We can agree the scale is fucked up but I've been watching review scores for more than 20 years and 7.5 means mediocre.

A 7.5 is a good score.

T.O.P

Banned
When it comes to driving fast cars skillfully in beautifully rendered locales, around challenging track designs, with your friends' skills literally painted onto the pavement for you to compete with, for all the bells and whistles you can put on Forza, it just doesn't hold a candle to Driveclub.

It is, in the purest sense, driving at its finest.

I'm sory but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about here

Seventy70

Tell that to Destiny's sales numbers. Or Madden's annual sales. Or every CoD game after the first MW. etc. etc..

I'd say we've seen a pretty massive divergence from what the mainstream gamer thinks and what reviewers give for scores. Driveclub is likely another legitimate example as some of the more negative reviews are basically chiding it for not being some new revolution to the racing genre or singlehandedly validating a PS4.

In fact, I'd argue that is a running theme in all too many Sony first party reviews. Every title is treated as if it needs to justify the existence of the system on it's own. They're the only first party still being held to the "system seller or GTFO" standard by a significant portion of the gaming press in nearly every review.

But then that was the case last generation as well with "is this the reason to buy a PS3?" teasers before every major exclusive's review until basically Uncharted 2. Just how the industry works (and by that I mean games journalism, as it's pretty clearly a fetish industry spawned off the video game industry and not actually relevant to video games as a whole anymore).
1. Sales != quality. People can still buy a 7.5 game and enjoy it. That doesn't mean it is not a 7.5 (average) game to the person buying.
2. That is because most websites put the reviews into context that will make sense for most people reading them. In this case the people reading them will be deciding whether or not it is worth $60 or adds some incentive to finally buy a new gaming system.
3. Again, context. Reviews for exclusives that release relatively close to the launch of new systems are meant to be most useful to the average gamer (a person that doesn't buy all next gen systems on day 1)
4. Around that time last generation, many people that are reading these reviews were going with the 360 as their main gaming machine due to a greater number of games coming out before 2009 when that changed. It makes sense for review sites to put it into that context, so people actually get good use out of their review.
There's no single way a review has to be. Every website weighs things differently when they decide on a score.

I don't think so. You clearly have not played Forza.

Niteandgrey

Neo Member
Not sure why there's so much negativity in this thread.

Well, I get why there's some. Everyone knew the xbone fankids were going to be ready to jump all over this game if the metacritic score was even a point lower.

But it seems like most of the reviews are very positive with a few outliers. And perhaps it's because my memory is a bit longer than other's, but the day Gamespot's review on anything means a damn thing to me is the day I should stop playing video games.

The game looks gorgeous and it looks fun. I'm downloading it off of PSN as I type this and I'm looking forward to playing it.

nib95

Banned
LOL he manages to call it a "corridor racer." And the handling most resembles Ridge Racer? Is he kidding? No sane person would say that.

I mean, some of the categories, he's objectively right on, like there being more to do, more music, and more cars on FH2, but come on.

Massive and well known Xbox fanboy refers to Driveclub as a corridor racer and that it's handling resembles Ridge Racer, why am I not surprised.

Btw, here's Ridge Racer's handling for comparisons sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N5stanasVU

T.O.P

Banned
You are a fan of one console and he is of the other. Both of you are never going to agree so what is the point?

Apart from the fact that i'm not shitting on the driving model, the car physics, the track design and still menaging a decent discussion

Yeah it's just like you said

Last time I checked I think there is also "gameplay" in DriveClub... and better driving model too.

If by gameplay you're implying open-world layout, then there's no comparison here, if that's your preference you shouldn't even be considering DriveClub.

It really doesn't. You've forgotten what constitutes a racing game if you're declaring DC a shell for the reasons listed below.

Having more to do doesn't objectively make a racing game better. You're just entertaining the idea of sandbox game design more than strictly racing, and marking down a racer for sticking to its purpose is dismissing the foundations of the entire genre.

To call this game a shell, and soul less and bland, is insultingly ignorant.

You are talking to people who most likely have not played DriveClub, have no interest in playing DriveClub, and perhaps not even have a PS4. Just go and play the game! :)

You are talking to people who most likely have not played DriveClub, have no interest in playing DriveClub, and perhaps not even have a PS4. Just go and play the game! :)

He replied to someone who was answering a question that was directed at people who played/owned both FH2 and DriveClub.

It's a cheeky response to a claim that wasn't even made by Sony, but the take home message is that pre-launch list wars and months of hype threads don't really translate to the real world. MS released 2 good next gen racing games in the time that Sony WWS released one. To be fair to the total output during that time, the image might also include GT6, which had a short turnaround of May 2013 to December 2013, and has a metacritic of 82.

Last time I checked I think there is also "gameplay" in DriveClub... and better driving model too.

If by gameplay you're implying open-world layout, then there's no comparison here, if that's your preference you shouldn't even be considering DriveClub.

It really doesn't. You've forgotten what constitutes a racing game if you're declaring DC a shell for the reasons listed below.

Having more to do doesn't objectively make a racing game better. You're just entertaining the idea of sandbox game design more than strictly racing, and marking down a racer for sticking to its purpose is dismissing the foundations of the entire genre.

To call this game a shell, and soul less and bland, is insultingly ignorant.

No offence man, but after reading your impressions the past couple days, and then playing the game, I'm not sure id call your opinion anywhere near objective.

I actually trust most of the impressions before release 100x less than the reviews because almost everything that was über hyped turned out to be just okay. Especially when it comes to visuals.

Top Bottom