• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

T.O.P

Banned
It's also kind of funny that

Resolution thread: "to me it still looks fun!" -> "don't care it's a resolution thread, that's what we're here talking about"

Review thread: "reviews are kinda thwroing me off the purchase..." -> "you shouldn't listen to what X has to say, just play the game and decide for yourself, they probably don't even play racing games"

But maybe it's just me, maybe

commedieu

Banned
lol.. same old shit for sony from reviewers. Passes given to the mundane 10'10's everywhere for games that haven't evolved since last gen.. but now its time to reconsider the gaming genre as a whole when theres a sony exclusive on the table. We have to all pretend we are some film critic in a deep dark fireplaced den, with a warm glass of port. Rolling it over our tongues as we dissect games in ways other titles aren't.

Can't wait to see the standard open world featureset coming from Forza & Gran turismo.

When it comes to driving fast cars skillfully in beautifully rendered locales, around challenging track designs, with your friends' skills literally painted onto the pavement for you to compete with, for all the bells and whistles you can put on Forza, it just doesn't hold a candle to Driveclub.
Playing them both, the difference for me is that DriveClub is about rewarding clean driving, not smashing your way to the win.

I love Horizon, but Horizon 2's off-road focus introduces more chaos and aggro to the events, which is great when you just want silly fun, and less so when you want something focused.

Horizon feels way more social though, with a variety of modes, races, rivals, community paints, tunes, screenshots and videos. Servers were down for me with DriveClub last night so maybe I'll change my tune tonight, but just looking at the features I think Horizon takes the title belt easily.

The way I see it I'll play Horizon when I want to drive and explore and I'll play DriveClub when I want to race and master tracks.

Business

So what's an 8?

Oh let's not be silly please. If we can't agree the scales in videogame reviews have forever been flawed in a way a pass is virtually a given and a 5 a fucking bad score instead of average then let's agree to disagree.

Cyborg

So no one is playing the game? All of you guys are here debating the reviews? :)
I must say I expected higher scores but if I enjoy the PS+ edition I will buy the game even if it has low(er) score(s)

On the other hand I keep asking myself how can MS bring two racing games in a year and Sony cant pull the same shit! I need to wait again for GT7, this time 7 years.

Resolution thread: "to me it still looks fun!" -> "don't care it's a resolution thread, that's what we're here talking about"

Review thread: "reviews are kinda thwroing me off the purchase..." -> "you shouldn't listen to what X has to say, just play the game and decide for yourself, they probably don't even play racing games"

Just go play Forza already.

Exile20

ibuGWoZabEnopW.png

LOL

Unbiased? I'm not so sure about that.

Granted I'm not a certified "game journalist/reviewer"

Reviewers aren't hired or chosen because their opinions are likely to be the consensus of millions of others, they're just people with journalistic backgrounds who have experience in gaming.

I have just as much experience in gaming, as do many other users in Official Topics, we could all be Angry Joes if we wanted, and my glowing opinion of this game is just as valid as those who strayed off in their articles with trifles about the way this game was designed in comparison to other games which they gave more favorable reviews.

Since when are objective reviews written as comparison pieces?

If you wanna talk bias, there's a pretty glaring one.

Oh come on. What the hell is in it for reviewers to give anything other than their honest opinion? Why on earth would there be a conspiracy against DC? For a start, to me they are less biased than you because they haven't paid for the game and aren't out to justify the purchase. The fact you are fighting the game's corner so hard tells me you are taking it way too personally.

I have also purchased DC but I'm not going to start dismissing reviewers I don't agree with. I can understand the reasons given for marking it down, just as much as I can see the things the game does well.

I will dismiss the opinion of anyone who is far too invested to take a step back and be realistic.

And on the DC avatar. Imagine if the one of the folks criticising the game had a Forza avatar. Don't tell me you would even begin to take their negative view of the game seriously, no matter how they presented their criticism.

nib95

Banned
Playing them both, the difference for me is that DriveClub is about rewarding clean driving, not smashing your way to the win.

I love Horizon, but Horizon 2's off-road focus introduces more chaos and aggro to the events, which is great when you just want silly fun, and less so when you want something focused.

Horizon feels way more social though, with a variety of modes, races, rivals, community paints, tunes, screenshots and videos. Servers were down for me with DriveClub last night so maybe I'll change my tune tonight, but just looking at the features I think Horizon takes the title belt easily.

The way I see it I'll play Horizon when I want to drive and explore and I'll play DriveClub when I want to race and master tracks.

Sounds good. Appreciate the impressions you've been updating us with.

prwxv3

But better name and shame bro.

krioto

Not quite sure about the narrative you're trying to construct here

R3TRODYCE

I went down to GS this morning and cancelled my preorder for this after reading these reviews. I preordered Uncharted 4 and The Order so not a total loss. I'm going to try the ps+ version then grab the full game down the line when it's cheaper.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
1. Sales != quality. People can still buy a 7.5 game and enjoy it. That doesn't mean it is not a 7.5 (average) game.
And a review is no guarantee of measured quality either. Given that a lot of reviewers tend to review games based on how they think "the people" would like them, there probably should be a better correlation between sales and review scores than there is review score and actual measurable quality of a product.

I agree, it's completely predictable and doesn't think outside the box at all. Also, graphically it's very minimalistic and has no depth. Not to mention that it's too hard to join.

5/10
But what about our soul? Do we have one?

Tell that to Destiny's sales numbers. Or Madden's annual sales. Or every CoD game after the first MW. etc. etc..

I'd say we've seen a pretty massive divergence from what the mainstream gamer thinks and what reviewers give for scores. Driveclub is likely another legitimate example as some of the more negative reviews are basically chiding it for not being some new revolution to the racing genre or singlehandedly validating a PS4.

In fact, I'd argue that is a running theme in all too many Sony first party reviews. Every title is treated as if it needs to justify the existence of the system on it's own. They're the only first party still being held to the "system seller or GTFO" standard by a significant portion of the gaming press in nearly every review.

But then that was the case last generation as well with "is this the reason to buy a PS3?" teasers before every major exclusive's review until basically Uncharted 2. Just how the industry works (and by that I mean games journalism, as it's pretty clearly a fetish industry spawned off the video game industry and not actually relevant to video games as a whole anymore).

What is this Drek?

No special qualifications are employed for Playstation reviews by the gaming media. Please.

Driveclub simply does not offer a compelling package. There is a reason this game has been chided so much since it's announcement. Right from the beginning people were questioning this game's existence in Sony's portfolio, and now people are surprised by it being received with middling reviews?

This image really does make a perfect example for this other thread that was created today. In the time Sony has released a single racing game, Microsoft has somehow managed to release two that both reviewed better than Driveclub.

lol.. same old shit for sony from reviewers. Passes given to the mundane 10'10's everywhere for games that haven't evolved since last gen.. but now its time to reconsider the gaming genre as a whole when theres a sony exclusive on the table. We have to all pretend we are some film critic in a deep dark fireplaced den, with a warm glass of port. Rolling it over our tongues as we dissect games in ways other titles aren't.

Can't wait to see the standard open world featureset coming from Forza & Gran turismo.

So The Last Of Us wasn't GOTY from the vast majority of game review sites?

Saying there is reviewer bias against Sony games is just as dumb as referring to this place as SonyGAF.

IKizzLE

The IGN scale

I'm pretty sure review scales have been following the US Grading system since the dawn of time.

A 75 would be seen as average, just like a C.
A 85 would be seen as great just like a B.
A 90+ would be seen as excellent/amazing or w/e just like an A
A 100 would be seen as perfect.

A 5/10 would be seen as a failure, just like an F.

Goomba64

Banned
yikes. i feel bad for those who foolishly preordered over waiting to try the plus version.
o well the good news is it'll be a full free ps+ by next year.

Majmun

Don't even know how anyone could compare Horizon with DriveClub. Those are two totally different games.

Forza 5 vs Driveclub is a better comparison, since both are traditional racing games. Horizon is more arcade racer and better comparable to Motorstorm or Burnout,

nib95

Banned
I do think this game would have reviewed better if weather and photo mode was in for launch. Weather in particular I think would add a lot to the game, especially a proper snow system, which we've not seen implemented in racing games particularly well yet.

Bsigg12

I think we're starting to see a trend where reviewers are being more critical. Horizon 2, while on metacritic has reviewed better than Driveclub, has its fair share of criticisms. A score shouldn't determine if you buy it or not, that's what the PS+/demo versions are for. As for the open world stuff, the Forza Horizon series will build on that while Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo both maintain the heavy simulation influence of pure track racing (and maybe a moon drive here or there. PD should do a Curiosity track on Mars for the next GT). If they do make a Driveclub 2, I do expect them to expand on what they've done and look into making an open world racer with a varied locale.

The next racer we have coming out is The Crew so it will probably face the harshest criticisms of being both an open world racer and how it looks compared to Horizon 2 and Driveclub.

CS_Dan

Cancelled my preorder. Luckily this is one of the few games where a "try before you buy" approach is actually legal.

I'm hoping that the issues pointed out by reviews aren't big issues to me and I'll end up buying it eventually, but I was disappointed that Gerstmann hasn't enjoyed it at all. My tastes tend to go along with his pretty closely.

Don't even know how anyone could compare Horizon with DriveClub. Those are two totally different games.

Forza 5 vs Driveclub is a better comparison, since both are traditional racing games. Horizon is more arcade racer and better comparable to Motorstorm or Burnout,

After playing both this how I feel as well. Completely different experiences.

Even the Forza 5 to DC one is a bit tough since one's more sim/tuning based and the other is much more arcadey. But it's definitely a closer approximation

saucylion

Surely you're aware that this sort of fanboy nonsense is a regular occurrence for every exclusive game on both systems? Given what we've seen in the past with that sort of thing, 6.3 is actually not bad.

Infamous: Second Son
Metascore: 80
User Score: 80

Killzone: Shadowfall
MetaScore: 73
User Score: 70

Knack
Metascore: 54
User Score 65

6.3 is bad for a ps4 exclusive. I think you are thinking of xbox one exclusives when you meant 6.3 is actually not bad. Last gen the trolls did a pretty good job at counteracting each other. This gen the ps4 trolls greatly outnumber the xb1 trolls which makes sense since it has a much larger user base.

rrc1594

Console warz son shits real

Sounds good. Appreciate the impressions you've been updating us with.
Glad to help, and even happier to play the hell out of both of them.

Am actually fiending for more DriveClub right now. My time with it late last night was way too short.

I agree with this. Horizon is the shallow comparison, but DriveClub and Forza are both track based racers on tarmac, which speaks more to what you'll experience when playing. Its about learning the tracks and shaving off those times. And in that comparison I think I feel the cars more in Forza whereas I feel the tracks more in DriveClub. So the nuance of suspension is plainly felt in Forza but the roads might as well be glass the ride is so smooth - DC has more road texture and elevation changes.

All of these games are different - its not about which one is better in a general sense - its about what you're looking for.

Stike

EXACTLY.

This is like comparing Ridge Racer to Burnout Paradise!

VanWinkle

I do think this game would have reviewed better if weather and photo mode was in for launch. Weather in particular I think would add a lot to the game, especially a proper snow system, which we've not seen implemented in racing games particularly well yet.

Oh, definitely, and if replays and photo mode were there too it would have felt like a more...complete package I guess you could say. It's a full game right now, but these parts that are coming later could have helped boost the scores a little had they been there at launch.

Kayant

I guess you missed bish's warning.

In gamersyde's review they mention that the engine sound is poor. Does anyone have perspective on this? Initially it seemed like this was a selling point. Thoughts?

TP-DK

Just read Gamereactor DK's review. They start it off by saying it's a simulation racer, and then use the rest of the review to compare it with Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport...

Why not compare it with Mario Kart while they are at it.

Hahaha, loved this post.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
No offence man, but after reading your impressions the past couple days, and then playing the game, I'm not sure id call your opinion anywhere near objective.

I actually trust most of the impressions before release 100x less than the reviews because almost everything that was über hyped turned out to be just okay. Especially when it comes to visuals.

Then you were preemptively expecting it not to impress you. I just let the game take me in. Isn't that the way it goes?

You really need to wait for the servers to get their shit together.

I've been playing against reviewers and the game's developers and it's not only how tightly designed the handling model in addition to the meticulously laid out tracks, but how fresh it feels to have your friends scores sprinkled throughout the track as you try to master it.

Horizon 2 just sounds like Burnout Paradise to me... and that was just social, not social racing. It was just a bunch of people crashing their cars into each other.

Oh come on. What the hell is in it for reviewers to give anything other than their honest opinion? Why on earth would there be a conspiracy against DC? For a start, to me they are less biased than you because they haven't paid for the game and aren't out to justify the purchase. The fact you are fighting the game's corner so hard tells me you are taking it way too personally.

I have also purchased DC but I'm not going to start dismissing reviewers I don't agree with. I can understand the reasons given for marking it down, just as much as I can see the things the game does well.

I will dismiss the opinion of anyone who is far too invested to take a step back and be realistic.

And on the DC avatar. Imagine if the one of the folks criticising the game had a Forza avatar. Don't tell me you would even begin to take their negative view of the game seriously, no matter how they presented their criticism.

The conspiracy card, really?

I rarely get buyers remorse. I simply realize that 100's of creative people put years of their lives in these games and that's why I play them. I'm not defending my purchase. I'm advocating an extremely passionate and talented team of people.

Evolution Studios' games have been subjected to so much console war bullshit that some of their best work has been dismissed as third rate without a second thought in format war topics that move at lightning speed.

I just put their logo in my avatar for support, not to "wear my gang colors".

I went down to GS this morning and cancelled my preorder for this after reading these reviews. I preordered Uncharted 4 and The Order so not a total loss. I'm going to try the ps+ version then grab the full game down the line when it's cheaper.

Facepalm-GIFS-1.gif

Gestault

I've gotta say, the really blatant invisible walls that make it more difficult to right yourself after a spinout in this Gamersyde Twitch stream look like they'd be frustrating in a race. Only a handful of reviews mentioned it, but it stands out in practice.

Top Bottom