• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

Well yes, see Destiny.
Destiny got lambasted for everything in the game that wasn't shooting aliens in the face - and it got extra ire because those other aspects were talked up to the high heavens. The story was going to be up there with Star Wars and LOTR - the hybrid multiplayer was going to define next gen, its the biggest game Bungie has ever made, you create your own particular legend, blah blah blah.

What were DriveClub's expectations? Driving insanely detailed models in lush environments with global illumination and dynamic weather systems. A focus on clubs, scoring, and club vs club rivalries.

If anything I think DriveClub has been pretty humble in its marketing, though it may have oversold the social systems - though I haven't gotten a great look at em yet with the servers being down - docking points for that I'd understand.

Man, I just watched the Gamespot video review and, really, what the hell?

DriveClub is boring because all it is is racing beautifully rendered cars with great handling in exquisite locations. Oh, OK. Sounds horrible.

The AI complaints seem absolutely reasonable, but the crux of the review's disappointment seems to be that the game's focus is squarely set on racing. That somehow makes the game boring?

I don't get it. That's not an opinion - the whole review seems nonsensical. Or else its a review for a fictional game that doesn't exist.

Just watched it myself. His complaints seemed pretty clear to me. It's boring, the AI sucks, and the game is built around a very basic feature set.

Haxxona

Banned
If this is any indication then reviews for The Crew is going to be a bloodbath.
Ps. I am playing The Crew in the closed ps4 beta and it is really really rough both in terms of gameplay and visuals so yeah no looking good for anyone holding hope. Feels like nfs repackaged

Kevyt

With all of this scores, do you guys think we'll see a sequel? Is this going to turn into a franchise? I would love to see a sequel, I think there's a lot of potential in DriveClub as a series. In addition does Sony have any rules towards new IP's that could become a series? I don't think so... but I'm wondering if the low scores might deter them from funding a sequel.

Ps. I am playing The Crew in the closed ps4 beta and it is really really rough both in terms of gameplay and visuals so yeah no looking good for anyone holding hope. Feels like nfs repackaged

I played the PC beta and couldn't imagine playing on the consoles as it looked terrible on the PC and it didn't play well at all. It was cool that you could pretty much drive anywhere you want, but it's so lifeless. To be fair though, I probably should have played it with a buddy.

I get the impression he was expecting something more out of the game modes. Lots of games focus on racing but manage to include either different disciplines or rules/modes.
He's all over the place. Says the game has "no frills", and "no reason to invest in the game long term". There is "no energy or excitement". It's "just races, time trials and drift events".

And "there's nothing to say about the multiplayer except that it functions and functions well". Driveclub is "ordinary races in ordinary events", "basic racing in basic packaging".

He leaves everything lingering in the air without speaking of exactly what this game "should have" been in his mind.

On the AI front he's absolutely detailed and makes his argument well. When it comes to the core driving and cars - the cars are meticulously detailed, handle great, the tracks are gorgeous and technically varied, and the game has nailed its difficulty progression.

But hey, its still just a racing game, so pffffbt.

Just watched it myself. His complaints seemed pretty clear to me. It's boring, the AI sucks, and the game is built around a very basic feature set.
AI complaints aside, the only feature mentioned that was *missing* was tinkering with the internals. And I'm trying to come to terms with how a racing game that does the cars, environments and actual racing really well can be described as boring because its strictly focused on just that - racing - the game's core strength. This review doesn't impart any useful information and you're left to fill in the blanks yourself on everything the game is missing.

don't forget The Crew somehow took home the official E3 award. We could see some bizarro land reversal where it gets metascored higher than Driveclub. I'm gonna try to keep an open mind, but it still has a lot of work cut out for it from what I've played.

watership

The reviews may be, but the response to them won't be that bad.

Haxxona

Banned
I played the PC beta and couldn't imagine playing on the consoles as it looked terrible on the PC and it didn't play well at all. It was cool that you could pretty much drive anywhere you want, but it's so lifeless. To be fair though, I probably should have played it with a buddy.
Yeah I get the idea of free roam but it really didnt work for me, but as you said probably should play it with a buddy first too. Extremely frustrating is that absolutely nothing is happening around you, its just Chicago roads and thats it.
However I want to point out one major dislike that is the HUD and map which is a cluttered mess and it is quite surprising for me because I usually love the UIs in Ubi games
The reviews may be, but the response to them won't be that bad.
Well I hope they can fix some vital parts like the hud but the gameplay is not going change that much seeing as release is in 2 months. I hope for the best mostly because it sure has to be an ambitious project but I am probably going to guess that this will hit Destiny levels on reviews.

Hindle

Banned
I said a few weeks back that DC would likely be critically underwhelming just because how old fashioned the game is in its design. Evolution placed way too much emphasis on the graphics.

don't forget The Crew somehow took home the official E3 award. We could see some bizarro land reversal where it gets metascored higher than Driveclub. I'm gonna try to keep an open mind, but it still has a lot of work cut out for it from what I've played.

You played the beta?

boingball

With all of this scores, do you guys think we'll see a sequel? Is this going to turn into a franchise? I would love to see a sequel, I think there's a lot of potential in DriveClub as a series. In addition does Sony have any rules towards new IP's that could become a series? I don't think so... but I'm wondering if the low scores might deter them from funding a sequel.

I don't think Sony will make the decision based on Metacritic but only on the numbers. How well will this sell? My guess is that it will be the same as with All Stars, which sold a million and that was not enough to warrant a sequel (as per Sony). In fact I see a good chance that Evolution will be shut down after this. The one year delay increased the development cost quite a bit. Originally I planned to play only the PS+ edition, since I don't care about that online social component at all. But I bought all Evolution games since their PS2 days so I thought I should also buy the last game they ever make.

Great post in the other thread connected to this:

Exactly. Couple that with either very brief or non-existent pre-release review windows, publishers treating all media and info on their projects like a direct tap on Angela Merkel's cell phone, and therefore requiring absurd controls (like having reviews done in a hotel room over a forced time period) to ensure no leaks and you wind up with an audience who just isn't in the right frame of mind to do the job.

For what it's worth, and this may not be accurate, but from what I understand Sony has at times been particularly frustrating to deal with when it comes to early review access. If anyone thinks there is a real anti-Sony sentiment that is by far more likely to be the source of such angst than anything else. I know if some pricks made my job impossibly hard while the other pricks I work for are screaming at me to get it done I'm not going to direct more of my ire at the one thing I can control (the review for the first prick's game) than things I can't (my boss).

Personally I'm dubious of that. I think Nintendo gets a tangible nostalgia bump in their scores, but then I feel that same nostalgia so even though I see through it that doesn't make Mario Kart 8 any less charming to me.

I think MS is amazingly good at manipulating anyone it can have it's marketing teams interface with directly, and it shows in how the gaming press covers them. It isn't some grand conspiracy, just the truly elite person to person marketeers hitting home runs every day like you would expect them to when any one of them makes more than the entire staff at any video game news outlet combined. It isn't a fair competition and the video game press isn't going to win.

But then, what do people expect when you take those who have significant vested interest in video games and the stunted social skills to prove it and pair them off with the most cunning alpha types in an industry full of super competitive alphas when the later has been given a clear agenda to push? I mean, it's got to be like shooting fish in a barrel. Add that most of the industry's various major platforms are more reliant on the publishers they work with than ESPN is with the NFL and you've got one hell of a fucked up structure with zero checks or balances anywhere in sight. Really, bitching about members of the gaming press having an agenda is starting to feel like victim blaming.

Spot on.

If you don't want to delve too deeply into the reasons why the current videogame review system and the culture around it is incredibly flawed to render reviews pretty much worthless save for acting as a semi-accurate first impression of a title, just think about the most immediately glaring flaw in the process - the review deadline culture or, simply put, the lack of time 'reviewers' have with a game before they are asked to slap a score on the end of it and pump out their review article to remain relevant. This problem is exacerbated by some of what Drek mentioned above (chiefly the fact that reviewers, aside from suffering from a culture of brevity, are also generally not well paid and therefore open to inducement) but let's concentrate on the most glaring problem.

DriveClub and the game's reviews is a pretty perfect example of the problem. The game's core, aside from the actual racing, is on being a socially connected experience. The joy from the game will come from forming clans, racing friends, challenging rivals, climbing up online leaderboards, competing against other connected racers, etc etc.

Yet the environment and the context from which Eurogamer, Gamespot and the like are reviewing the game is from game-time with empty servers bar a handful of other early access owners. They probably haven't formed clans.They can't get into the meat and bones of online leaderboards and challenging to beat meaningful record laps. And most glaringly, they've only experienced a fraction of the game in the likely several hours they get to play the game so that their review hits the deadline.

In what f*cking world would you put stock in a score or piece of text produced by someone in this situation when it comes to a title you are deciding on whether to buy or not? You wouldn't because It'd be stupid. If I wanted to use these reviews for something, it would be as a means to discover the first impression of the game, which would be pretty worthless in any case. Or more likely, use the review to find out about what's in the game and what the options and modes are etc.

Imagine an album from a really talented artist is coming out. You've been waiting for it for over a year...the band/singers are really talented because of previous work which you've really liked. So the day before release day, the album gets thrust into the hands of a 'reviewer'. He's tired, he has a cynical nature from being in his particular profession.

He likely doesn't like this genre of music, first of all. Then he listens to the first 3 tracks in their entirety and skips through most of the remaining tracks on the album to get a feel of it. He ain't got much time. He didn't enjoy it, so he proceeds to slap a 2/5 on his review article as he needs to hit his deadline. Would you put stock in this man's opinion, and 20 other individual cases like his, on a product you want to buy?

It seems we do. This is what Metacritic is. A great algorithm for determining how good a game appears in its first 15%.

orochi91

I said a few weeks back that DC would likely be critically underwhelming just because how old fashioned the game is in its design. Evolution placed way too much emphasis on the graphics.

It's unfortunate really. But they absolutely deserve it. They would have been
better off releasing this game at the PS4 launch.

I'm watching the Giantbomb Quick Look and Jeff Gertsmann is tearing this game apart.

Spookie

He leaves everything lingering in the air without speaking of exactly what this game "should have" been in his mind.

Well thankfully there are plenty other reviews detailing the same pros and cons of the game going in to greater detail on the same problems listed in that review. Jeffs quicklook is equally negative, if not more so. Maybe I shouldn't have been expecting a PGR homage, it seems vastly inferior to that franchise. :(

Bloodworth gave it an 8.6. His review is really the only one that matters when it comes to racing games.

No personality/no soul translates to: where are the crashes! the jumps! the customization! And lack of any other stuff designed to appeal to 12 year old's.

It's a real problem though. Case in point, the game your avatar is from is a PERFECT example of an excellent game that was lambasted because half the people that reviewed it couldn't be bothered to learn how to play it properly.

Ha

Ha

So painful to read ;)

Thank you. I'm fairly new here as a member but I've been lurking for a couple of years. And I remember the absolute shit storm when those Wonderful 101 reviews came in with fans complaining about the exact same thing StreetsAhead claims is becoming 'painful to read'.

EDIT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77046091&postcount=221

Yes, I made some embarrassing posts in the past. Thank you for digging them up. I was banned twice late last year for being too emotionally involved. It was stupid when I did it and it's stupid now. In fact, part of the reason I find it painful to read now is because that was exactly how I used to act. Thankfully, I've changed my opinion and don't like that sort of tantrum-esque behavior now. But if my past behavior is going to color discussion then I'm out.

Well thankfully there are plenty other reviews detailing the same pros and cons of the game going in to greater detail on the same problems listed in that review. Jeffs quicklook is equally negative, if not more so. Maybe I shouldn't have been expecting a PGR homage, it seems vastly inferior to that franchise. :(
Have been sampling a few - and I don't mind if an outlet loves the game or hates it - that particular Gamespot review just bugged me for being so lazy and almost completely void of information besides the fact that the reviewer didn't think highly of it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

I'm watching the Giantbomb Quick Look and Jeff Gertsmann is tearing this game apart.

Well as long as you found someone to kick in your confirmation bias...

Hindle

Banned

DC has likely had about 4 years in development, plus they received an extra year. I just think that right from the start, the way the game has been handled has been a mess.

Spookie

Have been sampling a few - and I don't mind if an outlet loves the game or hates it - that particular Gamespot review just bugged me for being so lazy and almost completely void of information besides the fact that the reviewer didn't think highly of it.

I'm indifferent, at the end of the day it gave me enough information about the game to let me know to hold off. It didn't seem any worse or better than the other 4 reviews I read.

Caayn

Hearing complaints about the AI doesn't sound too good. Does this mean that DC has the same shitty rubber band/cheating AI as Motorstorm?
I'm confused. Just a few months ago, we were saying that Reviewers were not critical enough, now they're too critical?
Depends on how much I like the game :p

Played two hours, game is fucking awesome. Granted I only finished the rookie races so far, but journalists think it's hard? Took me two races to get used to the driving model. Feels really good like a modern day MSR. Pretty much what I was hoping for.

Also do yourself a favor and use manual transmission. So much better than automatic.

Padinn

Damn I really wanted this to be good...I'll grab it on sale. For those who actually own it, share your impressions.

Hindle

Banned
I think the reason this game looks so similar to GT is because, well it was originally meant to be a GT spin off. But Kaz refused to let the GT brand be used by another developer. I recall reading something like that.

He's explaining his points though, which is great. Pointing out his expectations, where he thinks the game falls short of those expectations, and the parts that seem confusing.

All of these reviews are making me worry about the AI though.

Alchemy

The reviews docking points for DC not being open world can fuck off. Open world design is the worst thing to happen in racing games ever.

IcyEyes

Great post in the other thread connected to this:

Spot on.

If you don't want to delve too deeply into the reasons why the current videogame review system and the culture around it is incredibly flawed to render reviews pretty much worthless save for acting as a semi-accurate first impression of a title, just think about the most immediately glaring flaw in the process - the review deadline culture or, simply put, the lack of time 'reviewers' have with a game before they are asked to slap a score on the end of it and pump out their review article to remain relevant. This problem is exacerbated by some of what Drek mentioned above (chiefly the fact that reviewers, aside from suffering from a culture of brevity, are also generally not well paid and therefore open to inducement) but let's concentrate on the most glaring problem.

DriveClub and the game's reviews is a pretty perfect example of the problem. The game's core, aside from the actual racing, is on being a socially connected experience. The joy from the game will come from forming clans, racing friends, challenging rivals, climbing up online leaderboards, competing against other connected racers, etc etc.

Yet the environment and the context from which Eurogamer, Gamespot and the like are reviewing the game is from game-time with empty servers bar a handful of other early access owners. They probably haven't formed clans.They can't get into the meat and bones of online leaderboards and challenging to beat meaningful record laps. And most glaringly, they've only experienced a fraction of the game in the likely several hours they get to play the game so that their review hits the deadline.

In what f*cking world would you put stock in a score or piece of text produced by someone in this situation when it comes to a title you are deciding on whether to buy or not? You wouldn't because It'd be stupid. If I wanted to use these reviews for something, it would be as a means to discover the first impression of the game, which would be pretty worthless in any case. Or more likely, use the review to find out about what's in the game and what the options and modes are etc.

Imagine an album from a really talented artist is coming out. You've been waiting for it for over a year...the band/singers are really talented because of previous work which you've really liked. So the day before release day, the album gets thrust into the hands of a 'reviewer'. He's tired, he has a cynical nature from being in his particular profession.

He likely doesn't like this genre of music, first of all. Then he listens to the first 3 tracks in their entirety and skips through most of the remaining tracks on the album to get a feel of it. He ain't got much time. He didn't enjoy it, so he proceeds to slap a 2/5 on his review article as he needs to hit his deadline. Would you put stock in this man's opinion, and 20 other individual cases like his, on a product you want to buy?

It seems we do. This is what Metacritic is. A great algorithm for determining how good a game appears in its first 15%.

I would like to spent some time to support your post, but I have no time, but in the meanwhile let me say I really like your post. The last sentence is pretty good. Compliments.

Karatechop250

Neo Member
This will probably come off as a bit crazy but looking at at the progress of Drive Club I really doubt that Sony was being honest about it being a launch title in the first place. When it was revealed they were only what, 35% complete? Were they really THAT confident in programming the majority of a AAA title in several months? Were they really off their mark by a YEAR?

It makes more sense that Sony was just calling it a launch title to help guarantee good early press.

Here's what gets me is that Sony is saying it had a 3 year development cycle uhh don't get me wrong its a pretty okay game but there is no way it was in development for 3 years. Maybe 1 and a half at most.

Mononoke

Banned
I didn't realize the overall Metacritic for Forza 5 was 79. I was personally let down with that game. I guess what really matters is what reviewers are saying and not what the score is. I have to admit, I've been baffled by a handful of the reviews here (what their cons for the game were). This isn't to say, that I'm not okay with critical opinions. I am. I just want to understand them. And some of them are weird (like IGN's knock against it not being open world). I would have to go back through the Forza 5 reviews to see what their complaints were (but at least for me, Forza 5 just felt like it lacked content, and the load times were pretty bad in spots).

I would like to spent some time to support your post, but I have no time, but in the meanwhile let me say I really like your post. The last sentence is pretty good. Compliments.

Thanks.

I think the reason this game looks so similar to GT is because, well it was originally meant to be a GT spin off. But Kaz refused to let the GT brand be used by another developer. I recall reading something like that.

I really don't know what the fuck you are going on about at this point. You've been waffling on, moaning, thread-page after thread-page, about a game you don't own or have no intention of ever buying.

It's got to the point where you're saying it looks like Gran Turismo (?!?!) for some wonky reasons. You are a lunatic.

Hindle

Banned
Thanks.

I really don't know what the fuck you are going on about at this point. You've been waffling on, moaning, thread-page after thread-page, about a game you don't own or have no intention of ever buying.

It's got to the point where you're saying it looks like Gran Turismo (?!?!) for some wonky reasons. You are a lunatic.

I've made 3 posts in this thread dude, so no I have not been waffling on.

Amir0x

Banned
I implore everybody to ignore reviews if they're confused as to the spread and try the PS+ edition if available to them and make their own determination. DriveClub will remind you of the glory days of skill-based, meticulously hand designed racers, but with next-gen sprinkled on top. It's supremely well designed and streamlined in exactly the right way.

Racing is one of my favorite genres and I'm extremely critical of shit racers. Under no classification, not even with the shittiest of shit opinions, can this be called a bad racing game. I would go so far as to suggest people who say it is a bad racing game need to seriously have their views analyzed to the fullest. Every aspect that makes a racing game great is nailed pretty much in DriveClub - supremely well honed simcade mechanics, great track design, and a moderately well classed selection of vehicles (probably my main complaint, other than the fact a lot of very meaningful content is still not here until future DLC, is that they needed a more globalized selection of vehicles).

This sort of "straightforward racing" (i mean this in non-euphemistic way, there's nothing remotely wrong with this) may not be your flavor - you may have played enough of this sort of racing game or you may not be in the market for it right now - but it is designed in best-of-its-class way. This is a fantastic game.

Hindle

Banned
I'd really love to know what went on with DC. The game was delayed for unknown reasons, but ships a year later, being very barebones in terms of content.

Top Bottom