• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Put in another couple of hours today. Cleared up a bunch of small stuff I've been meaning to do. Now my questions becomes how to go about exploring Caelid. I don't have the second item to take the lift. But the item description on the first part tells me exactly where to find part 2. So that's where I will go. Around level 52 at the moment.

I have 2 underground sections opened at the moment as well. Maybe I should explore there.
I would get the second half if it's the half I think you need. Something cool happens.

Most important thing to remember is to make sure you have VRR on. Barely notice the FPS drops. Haven't tried on the fidelity mode but 30 FPS is intolerable anyway. Don't ruin the game by playing without.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Ok, Playstation 4 version on PS5 will be the one I play on the monitor at work. The graphics downgrade is too much and there is no point since I have a CX. I don't see any difference in frames compared to the XSX version. I'm happy to buy this game again. From Software deserves another purchase lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hoarfrost Stomp destroys endgame. I’d say asking for co-op made those fights harder. Hoarstomp is incredibly powerful. I finished the main game, but still doing NG. I switched to Moonveil and put Hoarfrost Stomp weapon ash on a Lordsworn Greatsword.

Hoarfrost Stomp destroys endgame. I’d say asking for co-op made those fights harder. Hoarstomp is incredibly powerful. I finished the main game, but still doing NG. I switched to Moonveil and put Hoarfrost Stomp weapon ash on a Lordsworn Greatsword.
yeah, it's bonkers

it helped me wreck Melania. if you block Melanias attacks and constantly hoarfrost stomp her, it fucks her up. beat her on 2nd attempt after using that strategy.

it's also devastating in PVP. when I PVP with dual whips, I use the bloodhound step on one whip, hoarfrost on 2nd whip.

this combo is insanely deadly, I just teleport around them smacking them with whips that are hard as hell to roll dodge. if they shield up or know how to roll dodge the whips, I hoarfrost stomp them. it can catch them in rolls and ignores shields.

really, really fun PVP build.

Last edited:

The_hunter

So many items that are callbacks to fan favourites from bloodborne, so far I've found items similar to
Kirkhammer, cane sword, raven cloak, pizza cutter, cannon.

Yeah. Assuming you don't go off chasing a butterfly into completely unrelated areas and get off track for 10+ hours like I spent most of the game doing.
I might hold off, I have A LOT of side quests I haven't finished yet. debating whether to just beat the game and start a new play through as an Astrologer or finish up on my dex build

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just reached Maliketh, not only I continually lose health but also lowers my maximum health bar.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Finished the platinum.

The only other FS game ive platinumed is BB. I must say it was easier and faster than BB, it gave loads of tools and OP builds to walkthrough most bosses. And nothing comparable to the chalice dungeons.

Mimic+10 is essentially broken hes so op. I guess that makes up for it being a dumbass lol i cant count the amount of times it tried to fight enemies of the outside of the boss arena, doing nothing the whole fight only to leroy Jenkins in and make the final blow lol

Sword of night and flame should have been locked behinda boss. Way to op to just grab, spamming that r1 magic will knock down most enemies and you can keep them down. Its possible to cheese one of the harder bosses this way.

Overall it was a good game but i think i preferred bloodborne

DavidGzz

Gold Member
It seems that From made an easy mode by allowing OP weapons and summons. Now I see people talk about how easy the game is as they are stacking these OP items. Well yeah. I guess it's possible people stumbled on these items and decided to upgrade them on their own, and didn't follow a guide, but I bet that's rare.

I wonder if that was From's intention to make the game more accessible to people complaining about the difficulty in the past or if these items will be patched. They may be too busy trying to figure out performance issues to worry about it at the moment.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
It seems that From made an easy mode by allowing OP weapons and summons. Now I see people talk about how easy the game is as they are stacking these OP items. Well yeah. I guess it's possible people stumbled on these items and decided to upgrade them on their own, and didn't follow a guide, but I bet that's rare.

I wonder if that was From's intention to make the game more accessible to people complaining about the difficulty in the past or if these items will be patched. They may be too busy trying to figure out performance issues to worry about it at the moment.
I hope they don’t nerf the items. They’re optional so people should use them if they feel like it. The game gives you options and that is good.

Valonquar

oVraJZ9.jpg

Such a fun game. Some of the quests are a bit frustrating as usual. It seems like a LOT of them lock out some NPC invasions if you clear the main area boss for the zone, so avoid killing them as long as possible if you are messing around with side quest stuff.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
I hope they don’t nerf the items. They’re optional so people should use them if they feel like it. The game gives you options and that is good.

I agree, it would just be nice to not hear people talk about the game being easy when they are using OP items though. I have two friends playing their first Souls-like because of those OP items, so that's awesome to see. Now they are making new side characters that require more skill and are having problems but loving every second.

For the love of God someone help me beat
Malenia, my nickname on steam is PlayofAthens
on PC because I'm going insane after 60 trys

For the love of God someone help me beat
Malenia, my nickname on steam is PlayofAthens
on PC because I'm going insane after 60 trys
While i know you want someone to join to help, in case no one can and you dont mind going an easier route, a tip that helped me is that her poise is rather low. A strong enough attack can knock her down and followups keep her down.

If you turn on easy mode by using sword of night and flame, you and a mimic can essentially Kamehameha her until she dies barely letting her get up. Its cheesy but works

The game broke me. I went and leveled up… from 70 to 130, the final areas were just getting too hard with such low stats. Things feel more… comfortable now 😈

I swear to God I thought I was getting crazy in the sewers under the capital city , me a 35 year old man with a new born baby spent 4 hours in the middle of the night trying to figure the place out and at 5am in the morning I found the final boss of the area.
I usually don't do that kind of hardcore gaming anymore but I think I've put more time in elden ring in the last 2 years of of all the games Ive played combined.

It looses it's luster when ur off track and are stuck somewhere but when u know where to go and making progress it's a fucking masterpiece

Dr Bass

Only an hour in but this game just feels old school in a good way. I don't like comparing to Horizon, since the only reason to do would be because of the vicinity of their release dates, and their open world nature. But this game already has a feeling of exploration and discovery that HFW lacked. Maybe I'm biased because I grew up on harder games with this kind of sense of discovery and exploration built in (Zelda 1 anyone?), but so far I like it. Also, no this isn't my first Miyazaki game so I basically knew what to expect.

And again the combat ... it goes to the point I made in my little Horizon review. It's a simple concept that you can use to execute more complex gameplay, which is the exact opposite of Horizon IMO. Already with groups of whatever those goblin things are, I'm blocking, dodging, parrying, trying to lure them in different directions so you can divide and conquer etc. It engages the mind and the reflexes far more than Horizon in that sense IMO.

And I just love the scale of the world. Crumbling empires, mystical creatures etc. It really does feel like something you would have dreamed of as a kid back in the 80s/90s.

Not sure how quickly I'll go through it, and I am also part way through Halo Infinite, which I'd like to finish as well, but so far so good. I know none of my impressions are a new take or have much of an original viewpoint, but I suppose you can count another one among the happy players so far.

Last edited:

zkorejo

I swear to God I thought I was getting crazy in the sewers under the capital city , me a 35 year old man with a new born baby spent 4 hours in the middle of the night trying to figure the place out and at 5am in the morning I found the final boss of the area.
I usually don't do that kind of hardcore gaming anymore but I think I've put more time in elden ring in the last 2 years of of all the games Ive played combined.

It looses it's luster when ur off track and are stuck somewhere but when u know where to go and making progress it's a fucking masterpiece
I haven't been so addicted to the game like this for so damn long. I don't even play games regularly anymore. I have yet to finish like 3 games but I just can't out the controller down once I'm in this game.

Yesterday I decided to do two things I had planned. Was planning for a short 1-2 hour session. Ended up staying up late till 3 am doing tons of stuff. Had to force myself to quit the game.

Last edited:

SCB3

I've just realised something, there are no upgrades to Torrent at all to do, that feels kinda strange if I'm honest

Bartski

Gold Member
Now they are making new side characters that require more skill and are having problems but loving every second.

That's so good, I'm doing NG+ now with a rule never to use some of the stuff that carried me through the toughest fights in NG.

My current jam is end game offensive incantations mixed with faith scaled Katana and left hand Wakizashi combo.

Wakizashi is awesome. It counts as a dagger, but it powerstances with a katana and allows attaching parry ash of war.

On that note, I'm still absolutely shit at parrying in this game. Trying to practice now a lot but its far from being a viable strat atm.

This game desperately needs a boss replay mode ctrl+c ctrl+v from Sekiro.

FunkMiller

Well, after 75+ hours I had to cheese a boss for the first time. God damn
Fire Giant
is as dull and as slow as shit.

Massive health pool, many one shot moves. Just got bored to tears with it and did the cheese strat.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Are you sure? What I do is exactly that. I exit to main menu, put in rest mode. I can always reconnect from the main menu. That was never an issue to me.

Tested again, and nope, broken. The automatic reconnect tries NEVER work. However, manually choosing Log In from the menu does. Annoying, but whatever I guess.

I also have never seen a summoning sign. Not once. Do I have to do something for that? I do see messages and player "ghosts", so online seems to be working. Just no signs anywhere.

Last edited:

SCB3

Tested again, and nope, broken. The automatic reconnect tries NEVER work. However, manually choosing Log In from the menu does. Annoying, but whatever I guess.

I also have never seen a summoning sign. Not once. Do I have to do something for that? I do see messages and player "ghosts", so online seems to be working. Just no signs anywhere.
You have to use an item to see the summons "Furcurled Finger" its craftable

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You have to use an item to see the summons "Furcurled Finger" its craftable

Ah... That didn't use to be the case right, you would just see the signs? Items were only needed for leaving your own signs and invading I think?

Last edited:

yamaci17

I'm also done with the game, a great experience, some unbalanced, broken bosses here and there but last 4-5 main story bosses were consistently great and raised the bar and I was happy overall !

Endgame part of the game started pretty badly but the final stretch was surprisingly great. I kind of started to expect something mediocre by the time I've reached there, but they managed to outsurpass my expectations

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Found the village of dancing witches like something out of an A24 horror movie. Game keeps surprising. I also found what I guess was a hidden cave with many invisible walls, but when I zoned into the boss area I experienced my first and only crash in Windows while playing. Same thing happened a second time. So I guess that boss will remain unbeaten heh

SCB3

Ah... That didn't use to be the case right, you would just see the signs? Items were only needed for leaving your own signs and invading I think?
kinda, you still needed to be "Human" if you died you needed to use a Human Effigy or something, same idea

Top Bottom