• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

decisions

How, out of all the pages they put in your inventory screen, did they not add a “New” page? Every time I get an item I can’t bothered to search for it in different 10 pages. Once you get further in the game and have a ton of items it just becomes completely unmanageable, half the time I get an item I’m just like, “Well, I’ll never know what that does since I just tossed it into my black hole of an inventory”.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
How, out of all the pages they put in your inventory screen, did they not add a “New” page? Every time I get an item I can’t bothered to search for it in different 10 pages. Once you get further in the game and have a ton of items it just becomes completely unmanageable, half the time I get an item I’m just like, “Well, I’ll never know what that does since I just tossed it into my black hole of an inventory”.

You can switch sort order by pressing L3 (or equivalent). Defaukt sorting is "by type", but you can make it show items in order of acquisition so newest things appear at the bottom of the list.

Note that sort order is set per category, so you can manually tweak it to show say crafting items in order, but weapons etc. by type.

hollams

Gold Member
I'll run through an area to get to a boss fight and have some enemies on my heels. I go through the fog and summon my help and they turn around and start fighting the enemies that were chasing me through the fog. This has happened several times. I've also gotten hit through the fog as well.

Swift_Star

Banned
So it's a "palete swap" when they use the same model twice and give him a totally different moveset?
Yes. It is. Just like they do it in JRPGs. That’s exactly what a palete swap is. And it’s disappointing for a game with this scale. And it’s not a totally different moveset. He has the same moves as before, but faster and with some new moves to boost. The only good thing about this fight is that I destroyed him since I’m OP. And let us not forget we fight him three times at least because you can face him outside the castle. A random enemy turns into him.

Last edited:

Bald-N-Furious

Neo Member
Just finished the game, its first time i play this sort of game and i thought it was going to be frustratingly hard but i was suprised it was not hard at all.

I like it a lot but it could be harder, i heard Demon Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro is harder so im gonna try them out.

Elden Ring is great game but could be a little harder.

Swift_Star

Banned
Just finished the game, its first time i play this sort of game and i thought it was going to be frustratingly hard but i was suprised it was not hard at all.

I like it a lot but it could be harder, i heard Demon Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro is harder so im gonna try them out.

Demon souls is piss easy compared to this. Bloodborne is a challenge but it gets easier overtime. These games usually are harder at the start and gets progressively easy as you create and develop your build. That’s until they throw you some BS bosses… those exist in DS3 I think, in BB not so much.
And “could be a little harder” got to be some kind of joke. This game is as hard as you want it to be. It’s amazing that you yourself is able to tailor the challenge you face by making certain choices. It adds a lot of depth. So, no, the challenge is fine. Don’t abuse mimic tear and other stuff if you want the game to be harder.

Last edited:

That's the thing, it's not hard per se, it just takes some thoughtfulness and patience. When I'm stuck on a boss, after about 15 deaths I'll do an attempt where I just try to stay alive for as long as possible. Every boss can be made easy if you're more frugal with your attack windows. 95% of Souls boss deaths are due to impatience.

Bartski

Gold Member
Yes. It is. Just like they do it in JRPGs. That’s exactly what a palete swap is. And it’s disappointing for a game with this scale. And it’s not a totally different moveset. He has the same moves as before, but faster and with some new moves to boost. The only good thing about this fight is that I destroyed him since I’m OP. And let us not forget we fight him three times at least because you can face him outside the castle. A random enemy turns into him.
You're just trying way too hard to make it sound like it's a re-used boss, which it isn't. Ignoring the fact that while it is the same character model, it has a totally re-designed behavior.
Given, ok - 90% different moveset, not a 100% give you that, but maybe you just haven't noticed. The whole fight feels very different, with different spacing, openings, different delays for parry as well as various new aggressive distance cutting combos and new AOEs to outmaneuver.

That doesn't mean the game isn't full of reskins and boss re-uses which in some places don't really make much sense, just elsewhere.

Wait till you get to the grand finale, could be an occasion to complain about something together.

Swift_Star

Banned
You're just trying way too hard to make it sound like it's a re-used boss, which it isn't. Ignoring the fact that while it is the same character model, it has a totally re-designed behavior.
Given, ok - 90% different moveset, not a 100% give you that, but maybe you just haven't noticed. The whole fight feels very different, with different spacing, openings, different delays for parry as well as various new aggressive distance cutting combos and new AOEs to outmaneuver.

That doesn't mean the game isn't full of reskins and boss re-uses which in some places don't really make much sense, just elsewhere.

Wait till you get to the grand finale, could be an occasion to complain about something together.
It is a reused boss lol. You wrote all that but it’s still a palete swap. He could be digging the ground or flying a mount, the model is the same, hence a palete swap. You should make your peace with this.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
That's the thing, it's not hard per se, it just takes some thoughtfulness and patience. When I'm stuck on a boss, after about 15 deaths I'll do an attempt where I just try to stay alive for as long as possible. Every boss can be made easy if you're more frugal with your attack windows. 95% of Souls boss deaths are due to impatience.
wTY07Aq.jpg

It is a reused boss lol. You wrote all that but it’s still a palete swap. He could be digging the ground or flying a mount, the model is the same, hence a palete swap. You should make your peace with this.
This is a superficial take. Different moveset and tempo makes it a new boss. Very much "but muh graphixxs aren't different" See God of War 2016 bosses for true pallet swaps.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Nah, he's right. It's not a palette swap. There's a whole reason behind it in game. Not to mention the second phase.

A palette swap would be more akin to the various knights of different regions that have different color armors and shields.

Swift_Star

Banned
This is a superficial take. Different moveset and tempo makes it a new boss. Very much "but muh graphixxs aren't different" See God of War 2016 bosses for true pallet swaps.
Nah, he's right. It's not a palette swap. There's a whole reason behind it in game. Not to mention the second phase.

A palette swap would be more akin to the various knights of different regions that have different color armors and shields.
Game has too many of the same bosses in the side content already, to have the same boss with a few new moves and faster is disappointing is what I’m saying. You all can say whatever you want but it’s still disappointing. It’s still the same model, plus the fight was piss easy. I don’t want to keep fighting the same guys over and over in the main quest.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
And I'm out!

SrqzpoH.png

75hrs, lvl 175. Found my way through most of it naturally but absolutely used guides for the remaining items and endings (with save backups obviously). The requirements for the other other main endings are wild, doubt I'd have gotten there on my own. Found myself summoning NPCs a lot in the final few hours because you end up so powerful anyway that creating an arbitrary ruleset to play this game "properly" would require so many parameters. Ashes are broken, magic is broken, bleed is broken, certain weapons are broken, etc, etc, it never ends.

I don't wanna say you approach "burnout" towards the end of ER but I certainly preferred those initial hours where we had no clue about anything - no idea how big the map really was, what worked, what didn't, how long the game would be, etc. It definitely becomes an endless string of bosses right at the end, although none compare to a certain optional boss, which was sort of one of my predictions during the hype cycle, but it's definitely just one in particular.

Those minor complaints - and major technical complaints - aside, it's been one of the best video game adventures I've ever played. BOTW, RDR2, this. God only knows what comes next.

One of the greats.

Aesius

The secret to all FromSoft games is honestly just charging in blindly to new areas/bosses, learning the layout/moveset, and not caring if you die. What’s funny is that was my approach to Gael and I ended up beating him on my first try despite having zero expectation of winning.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is the Flask of Wondrous Physick supposed to sound like an alarm going off, or is my game broken? It doesn't sound "magical" like you would expect, but rather "digital", going up and down between two tones. Really annoying sound.

partime

Is the Flask of Wondrous Physick supposed to sound like an alarm going off, or is my game broken? It doesn't sound "magical" like you would expect, but rather "digital", going up and down between two tones. Really annoying sound.
Game's def broke, I would uninstall/reinstall. If that doesn't help. try reformatting your HDD and play switch. /s

Rex_DX

Gold Member
If you pay attention, when you grab a new item it has an icon on the top left of the splash screen. Instead of mashing OK take a look at the icon. It's pretty intuitive. Sword icon is for weapons etc. That at least gives you a category.

I agree it could be better - personally I'd like a second button prompt to take me right to the item description.

... or take a few minutes and look around your inventory

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I'm trying to beat the game without summons. Guess I'm fucked. :lollipop_content:

Toughest but also one of the coolest imo. I'm having a lot of fun while managing to make it a little bit better each time.
Personal goals - love it.

Reminds me of the time I beat a 6-player raid in Destiny, solo. Nothing to gain, but the personal effort and glory :messenger_tears_of_joy:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The game is balanced around using summons. There’s no reason not to use them.
You are probably right, but man... I used the wolves in some catacomb boss at the beggining and it felt very cheesey. Instead of trying to play properly, I went all out since the dude was busy with the wolves. Didn't felt as good as beating him solo, so I decided to not use summons any more.

Personal goals - love it.

Reminds me of the time I beat a 6-player raid in Destiny, solo. Nothing to gain, but the personal effort and glory :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah right? I always played souls games without using multiplayer or npc summons, so it kinda felt bad to use them here even if they are trying so hard for me to do so.

Btw! Congrats dude, I don't play Destiny but that seems like quite the acomplishment.

Mossybrew

Aright I can safely say that the main design failure of this game is the crafting system. You can clearly succeed without ever engaging with it, yet it is a constant annoyance because of loot, you think you might get something useful and its often another piece of crafting junk you probably wont use, the game would simply be better without this crafting garbage.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah I don't see myselft beating Malenia. :goog_relieved:
+9/10 summons are highly recommended for that. For some reason my summon loved to run towards Scarlet Rot and then I’m screwed. I can’t do that fight without summons. At a +9/10 they can at least survive the onslaught.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Aright I can safely say that the main design failure of this game is the crafting system. You can clearly succeed without ever engaging with it, yet it is a constant annoyance because of loot, you think you might get something useful and its often another piece of crafting junk you probably wont use, the game would simply be better without this crafting garbage.
Or try to actually use it. I see a lot of people cry they don't do damage yet never engage with crafting. It can be useful. Not all the time but you have ten hotbar slots for a reason.

slade

Last two bosses I fought, got double KO'd against both. Feels good, venturing into an empty boss room to pick up my runes.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Was the game patched on PC? I am now getting MASSIVE input lag. It happens randomly but I am talking like four or five seconds where my character will only register a movement or something and I cannot regain control for several seconds. Also other times I will hit attack, and it takes a good three seconds. Wild. Considering reinstalling at this point.

Edit: nm, turned out to be bluetooth related

Last edited:
Wow, I am fucking livid. I love this game so much but this is absolutely inexcusable. Exploring the capital and accidentally trigger a boss fight. Ran away until the health bar disappear and then got summoned for a quick blue phantom visit to squash an invader, upon completion my game crashes and now I can’t load my save.

My level looks right but it says I’m in the Chapel of Anticipation, yet I was right in Leyndell when the crash happened and I haven’t been back to that chapel for like 20+ hours. I’m 115 hours into this game. How the fuck does this game have NO backups to revert to in the event of a crash like this? I could have easily had 115 hours of progress wiped through absolutely no fault of my own. Thankfully it’s just the last 5 or so.

Thank fucking god I was able to restore a prior PS+ backup or else I’d be done with this game forever. Regardless, From needs to fix their shit. It’s absurd how this can come out of nowhere and completely destroy all your progress.

PS5 running the PS4 app saved to the internal SSD, no crashes or problems before this. Error message CE-108225-1 every single time I load that save. New game is fine, I tried reinstalling just in case and no change in behavior.

SCB3

Wow, I am fucking livid. I love this game so much but this is absolutely inexcusable. Exploring the capital and accidentally trigger a boss fight. Ran away until the health bar disappear and then got summoned for a quick blue phantom visit to squash an invader, upon completion my game crashes and now I can’t load my save.

My level looks right but it says I’m in the Chapel of Anticipation, yet I was right in Leyndell when the crash happened and I haven’t been back to that chapel for like 20+ hours. I’m 115 hours into this game. How the fuck does this game have NO backups to revert to in the event of a crash like this? I could have easily had 115 hours of progress wiped through absolutely no fault of my own. Thankfully it’s just the last 5 or so.

Thank fucking god I was able to restore a prior PS+ backup or else I’d be done with this game forever. Regardless, From needs to fix their shit. It’s absurd how this can come out of nowhere and completely destroy all your progress.

PS5 running the PS4 app saved to the internal SSD, no crashes or problems before this. Error message CE-108225-1 every single time I load that save. New game is fine, I tried reinstalling just in case and no change in behavior.
Whats stranger still is even the PC version of the original Dark Souls has this, it saves constantly, does ER not do the same? A bit strange as it'd be the only one in the series that doesnt do this

Last edited:
Top Bottom