• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

tassletine

Initially I thought that From were building on the Breath of The Wild template, but they aren't.
All they've done, is take away all the handholding that developers put in place when introducing 3D worlds to us all those years ago.

It's kind of obvious really-- Realising that these systems were only there to help us understand 3D space initially, and they aren't actually necessary anymore because culturally we've moved past that moment.

yamaci17

You are probably right, but man... I used the wolves in some catacomb boss at the beggining and it felt very cheesey. Instead of trying to play properly, I went all out since the dude was busy with the wolves. Didn't felt as good as beating him solo, so I decided to not use summons any more.

Yeah right? I always played souls games without using multiplayer or npc summons, so it kinda felt bad to use them here even if they are trying so hard for me to do so.

Btw! Congrats dude, I don't play Destiny but that seems like quite the acomplishment.
Same, I ended up continuing the game without using any summons. It helped with initial area bosses here and there, but it definetely made the game *too* easy for me. Afteer I noticed that, I only used summons for only one specific super hard boss fight (you know her. and even then, I still did not enjoy the fight and the glory meant nothing because i kept staggering her alongside with my summon which made no sense and completely destroyed the design of the boss). all other bosses were enjoyable without summons aside from that infamous redhead lady. most bosses were fair and square, aside from the duo bosses (even then, for some unknown reason, I never struggled with godskin duo or crucible knight duo. it took me 20-25 mins to crack the crucible knights and i handled the godskin bros with 3rd try. i'll have to admit Wing of Astel was a great help in godskin fight with its strong stagger buildu.

Though, as others said, its a self imposed challenge but I love it. I'd say that I wouldn't have enjoyed the challenges the game provides if I spammed summons every fight, but that's me.

I do have to say though, I've practically mastered the art of shield block timing. maybe that also makes the game too easy, idk? shield seems very strong for me but you also have to use stamina very efficiently and I still dodge a lot.

one thing I noticed that if I hold my trusty shield in my hand, I dodge "better". for some reason, the secure feeling it gives makes me more calm and steady and helps me be able to dodge attacks with a calmer approach. whenever i leave my shield, i panic roll and dodge all the time. its a very weird feeling i've developed while playing this game. i noticed that I can indeed perfectly time my dodges, but with a backup shield block in tow

at times, shield makes me so confident that i practically keep so close to the bosses that some of their attacks completely miss me, lmao. i would never be confident enough to get them that close without a shield. when i see their attack miss, that's free 2-4 sword hits for me, since I didn't spend stamina neither for dodging nor blocking. its crazy stufy at times.

and ofc, i have tons of vigor. but I lack damage as a result. its a tade off, but I like the survivability. although most big story bosses can still one shot me, thats another topic

Last edited:

Orbital2060

And I'm out!

SrqzpoH.png

75hrs, lvl 175. Found my way through most of it naturally but absolutely used guides for the remaining items and endings (with save backups obviously). The requirements for the other other main endings are wild, doubt I'd have gotten there on my own. Found myself summoning NPCs a lot in the final few hours because you end up so powerful anyway that creating an arbitrary ruleset to play this game "properly" would require so many parameters. Ashes are broken, magic is broken, bleed is broken, certain weapons are broken, etc, etc, it never ends.

I don't wanna say you approach "burnout" towards the end of ER but I certainly preferred those initial hours where we had no clue about anything - no idea how big the map really was, what worked, what didn't, how long the game would be, etc. It definitely becomes an endless string of bosses right at the end, although none compare to a certain optional boss, which was sort of one of my predictions during the hype cycle, but it's definitely just one in particular.

Those minor complaints - and major technical complaints - aside, it's been one of the best video game adventures I've ever played. BOTW, RDR2, this. God only knows what comes next.

One of the greats.
Well done but Im wondering how people - not just you as Ive seen several post a platinum or 100 % - can play through the game for each ending in such short time? Im at SL 81 and 116 hours played, three demigods down. And there are at least six endings from what Ive read, but some of them are maybe not tied to achievements?

Im loath to ask, but curious how its done so quickly. I know a lot of people savescummed Sekiros endings. And people play games differently, Im usually one of the last to finish lol.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Elden Ring has more potential endings than any previous FromSoftware game, with 6 potential endings. There's also 3 achievements related to different Elden Ring Endings. In this guide, Dave will take you through how to unlock each one, and how you could mess them up. He'll cover the various Elden Lord endings: Age of Fracture, Age of Duskborn, Blessing of Despair, and Age of Order. As well as Lord of the Frenzied Flame and Age of the Stars.

Additionally, Dave will help you unlock yourself out of the Lord of the Frenzied Flame ending, once you've gone down that path. So, here's a guide and walkthrough on the many endings of Elden Ring.

0:00 - Intro
0:40 - Elden Lord Age of Fracture
1:10 - Elden Lord Age of Duskborn
3:41 - Elden Lord Blessing of Despair
5:42 - Elden Lord Age of Order
8:13 - Age of the Stars
10:46 - Lord of the Frenzied Flame
12:28 - Undoing Lord of the Frenzied Flame
17:21 - Conclusion

The various endings will require you to go through the quest lines of various NPCs - including the likes of the big 5 from the intro cutscene - Dung Eater, Goldmask, and Deathbed Companion Fia play pivotal roles in alternate endings, while Hoarah Loux and Sir Gideon Ofnir relate to the main story. Meanwhile, Ranni plays a major role in yet another potential ending, plus Shabriri and the Three Fingers. What will you choose?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well done but Im wondering how people - not just you as Ive seen several post a platinum or 100 % - can play through the game for each ending in such short time? Im at SL 81 and 116 hours played, three demigods down. And there are at least six endings from what Ive read, but some of them are maybe not tied to achievements?

Im loath to ask, but curious how its done so quickly. I know a lot of people savescummed Sekiros endings. And people play games differently, Im usually one of the last to finish lol.

Just backing up saves, triggering the ending then restoring the saves. I don't plan on playing the full game 3+ times so I just wanted to see them and get the pings.

The processes for accessing the 2 main alternate endings can be done way in advance, and then after you kill the last boss you just trigger the one you want.

Orbital2060

Just backing up saves, triggering the ending then restoring the saves. I don't plan on playing the full game 3+ times so I just wanted to see them and get the pings.

The processes for accessing the 2 main alternate endings can be done way in advance, and then after you kill the last boss you just trigger the one you want.
Right, I see that. Its easier to back up saves on a PC too. I think you can savescumm on console somehow, not sure about the process. But fair enough if you just want to wrap up the achievements.

mansoor1980

THIS BAD BOY......................
Screenshot__4_.png

Screenshot__3_.png

annihilated general radahn on first attempt , i should have used the gold pickled fowl foot to get more runes , why didnt neogaf tell me radahn was such a PUSSY?

Bartski

Gold Member

Knowing it most likely works the same as in every other FROM game, I looked up ending conditions when knew I’m approaching the final boss. Found out I was all set for 5 out of 6 endings, except the „bad” one that is really well hidden and easy to miss IMO

yamaci17

Knowing it most likely works the same as in every other FROM game, I looked up ending conditions when knew I’m approaching the final boss. Found out I was all set for 5 out of 6 endings, except the „bad” one that is really well hidden and easy to miss IMO

i somehow completely missed stuff about goldmask and his questline. i look forward to replay the game just for that

i wonder if i need to grind lots of levels for ng+? how tougher enemies become, i wonder?

SCB3

Screenshot__4_.png

Screenshot__3_.png

annihilated general radahn on first attempt , i should have used the gold pickled fowl foot to get more runes , why didnt neogaf tell me radahn was such a PUSSY?
how the fuck are people level 129 or so at this point? I've done everything in Lurmia, Limgrave, 2 underground areas, most of Caelid and some other areas and I'm about level 60

Bartski

Gold Member
i somehow completely missed stuff about goldmask and his questline. i look forward to replay the game just for that

i wonder if i need to grind lots of levels for ng+? how tougher enemies become, i wonder?
they’re much tougher but at lvl150+ I’m just blasting through… doing all the sidequests I messed up on NG, like Yura

Orbital2060

I just read that there are no more items or upgrades in the ng+ cycles in Elden Ring. Which bummed me out at first because that was part of the fun to try and get better gear too. Now everything including +1 and +2 items are in the first game.

The upside is that there is so much content that I still have a ton of dungeons and dragons and shit left to do which might push to ng+. Because its so much. All of the evergaols. And stuff I dont know yet, just over halfway through.

Ulysses 31

Anyone else suprised by how dark the story is in this game?

I mean Bloodborne level of dark. Hyetta's storyline for instance.. LOL.
You'll notice a theme with each questline you complete that the quest giver dies, Ranni's the only exception I think.

This game is a bit one note in that regard.

chris121580

Shit gets fucking real once you have to work your way through capital city. It's absolutely brutal and I'm over level 100. I feel like it ramps up quite a bit at this part and I'm losing patience

G-Bus

Banned
Took Rennala down first try. That was.... Really easy? Unexpected consideringiit took me a good dozen tries on the carian knight.

Not sure where to go now.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Took Rennala down first try. That was.... Really easy? Unexpected consideringiit took me a good dozen tries on the carian knight.

Total RNG. That fight can go sideways in the 2nd phase very quickly. But if you can hit it hard and fast (zing!), it can all go your way.

Whats stranger still is even the PC version of the original Dark Souls has this, it saves constantly, does ER not do the same? A bit strange as it'd be the only one in the series that doesnt do this

I am seeing reports of a game exploit being abused by invaders that resets spawn points. Supposedly this this moves you to Shrine of Anticipation and causes you to fall from your death repeatedly, on PC. I suspect this happens on consoles too, considering the coincidence that I just finished a blue phantom session in Lyndell and my save says I am in Shrine of Anticipation. Only difference is I am playing on PS5 and there is no death screen, just a crash as soon as it’s done loading my save.

partime

My Astrologer was so unbalanced that after getting past Lift of Dectus enemies would one hit kill me.

I focused mainly on Faith and Archane to master all the spells and incarnations I obtained. At 72, my max equipment load was 56 and I've only upgraded my health a few times.

Luckily after Rebirth I'm having fun again! Game's a lot more manageable with higher strength, health, etc~ Some of those spell stats are TOO DAMN HIGH.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

First two bosses are legit the hardest fights in the game until much later because of the way the difficulty curves. Start incredibly weak, get suddenly very powerful, the hardest bosses are optional. It's strange but interesting at least.

Biggest disappointment is how much of a pushover one of the Elden Lords is and how one of them is a total gimmick fight.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
After 130 hours of adventuring across these wildly beautiful and dangerous lands I've finally reached the capital. I'll just say this: it might be the single best "level" in any game ever, on the real for real, it's everything I'd hoped and dreamed it would be. Grand, labrynthine and filled with surprises, it's the Super Saiyan version of The Ringed City, absolutely epic.

My post many many many pages back saying this is a 100+ hour game has proven more than true, my mind continues to be boggled by the scope and scale of it. Anyone who rushed to finish it missed half the game. Anyone who used a guide throughout eager to be one of the first to 🏆 missed half the game *and* spoiled one of the greatest gaming experiences of all time for themselves, completely counterintuitive to what this game is supposed to be but hey, play however you want to play I guess, you only live once *wink wink*.

SCB3

First two bosses are legit the hardest fights in the game until much later because of the way the difficulty curves. Start incredibly weak, get suddenly very powerful, the hardest bosses are optional. It's strange but interesting at least.

Biggest disappointment is how much of a pushover one of the Elden Lords is and how one of them is a total gimmick fight.
Wouldn't be a Souls game if that wasn't the case

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
160 hours in and... Wasn't there an NPC with the bloody wolf armor set from the network test? I think I might have missed that dude entirely. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
160 hours in and... Wasn't there an NPC with the bloody wolf armor set from the network test? I think I might have missed that dude entirely. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Even though I feel I'm thorough I think I missed so much, mostly regarding armor sets

Btw I'm playing blind af and have no idea regarding NPC quests or the whole story progression save for it's premise. Going to keep it that way till NG+ and binge on all the lore and stuff.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Even though I feel I'm thorough I think I missed so much, mostly regarding armor sets
How far are you into the game? I started getting cooler armor sets after doing Limgrave and Liurnia.

TintoConCasera

Hard to say.. Feel I did a lot if not all in Limgrave and so so and more in Liurnia. Just beat that Wolf in the academy.. I'm taking my time, chilling around =P
Ah then you don't need to worry! There's still tons of content left and many armor sets to find. :)

Bartski

Gold Member
I missed it on my first playthrough as well, it's a reward for one of the Volcano manor invasion missions but if you kill the area boss too early - it's gone.

In general, some of the coolest gear from the CNT is rather late-game stuff and easy to miss, like the Dragonscale katana

TintoConCasera

I missed it on my first playthrough as well, it's a reward for one of the Volcano manor invasion missions but if you kill the area boss too early - it's gone.

In general, some of the coolest gear from the CNT is rather late-game stuff and easy to miss, like the Dragonscale katana
Ouch. Well that explains it! But hey, now I have something to look forward to on next playthroughs.

tmlDan

So im near the end now and i can truly say this is the easiest souls game ive ever played, i essentially have one shotted every boss.

Maybe since im a completionist and I am over leveled but some of the weapons and weapon arts are just too OP.

The one thing im concerned about when getting the plat is if i can get all the endings on one playthrough, i really don't want to play 2 more NG+ to get it.

Pejo

So I made my way through Siofra and out the other side, finally found a way to make it to XXL pot man in front of that tower/arena thing in Dragonbarrow.

I put together that he wants me to beat the three NPC duel summons in front of him, but what do you get for doing it? I was way under-leveled to fight those guys, I could barely damage them even with my stronger attacks. If it's something "meh", I'm just going to fuck off and return later. If it's worth it, I might try to git gud as is.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Well, level 129 sounds absurdly high to me. I don't know the average level for Radahn, but I was around 60 and he was manageable. So that probably factors in why he was so easy.

But, practically you can beat him without doing anything besides summoning NPC's. They will eventually win the fight for you.

Found a way to get back and beat that very first boss that kicked our ass at the beginning if the game. The dead lady as you first wake up that was
our maiden right.

Aesius

So I made my way through Siofra and out the other side, finally found a way to make it to XXL pot man in front of that tower/arena thing in Dragonbarrow.

I put together that he wants me to beat the three NPC duel summons in front of him, but what do you get for doing it? I was way under-leveled to fight those guys, I could barely damage them even with my stronger attacks. If it's something "meh", I'm just going to fuck off and return later. If it's worth it, I might try to git gud as is.
You get a talisman that increases your maximum equip load by 19%.

Mephisto40

how the fuck are people level 129 or so at this point? I've done everything in Lurmia, Limgrave, 2 underground areas, most of Caelid and some other areas and I'm about level 60
The bird farming method, you can get from level 50 to 130 in about an hour and a half

You can get to one of the end game areas pretty early on and just keep farming an enemy that runs off a cliff using a single arrow, you get 13000 souls every 20 seconds or so from it

They'll probably patch it, but that is how people have power leveled so high

Last edited:
Top Bottom