• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Just wrapped up the game after 72 hours and level 132. Last boss was no joke but Maliketh was absolutely the hardest fight for me.

Got the Ranni ending which was pretty cool. Will hit NG+ if they announce DLC. Amazing game and it’s going to take something incredible to top that.

V4skunk

Banned
Wretch; discarded Club at opening.

Can only use gear found in the world.

Only Shield & Torch for hours

Later only shield & dagger

Hours of naked madman with a dagger, farming, exploring. Underpowered af for 90% of it. I was playing it like Snowrunner tbh, accomplish the simplest, littlest things possible and go from there.

Twelve hours later we’re twinblades +5, flail +2, dagger +1, Vigor 23, Dex 18, and I fucking love it.

This is maybe the best game I’ve ever played.
So you are not even farming for gear at all?

149 hours in and still counting. Did 100% the weeping peninsula, limgrave, liurnia, caelid, and the whole underground, excluding Mohg. Only started the altus plateau and volcano manner. I spent a good 50 hours maybe just helping countless tarnished throughout the game and can't get more arc runes because I gain more than I spend them.

No regrets taking this game the slowest I can. It is a one time experience and I always drag my feet through my first playthrough in any souls game. The most I can play each day is 2 hours before I get myself drozzing holding the controller, then I bury myself into it on weekends. Best gaming experience I've had this year. I'll probably clock 250 hours when I finish my playthrough, then I'll go for build making. Still running with trash curved sword and cestus.

benno

My ps5 disc version says "2+ hours left" on the game select icon box. 2+ hours left of what? Has this loaded up some demo version rather than installed the full game?

rG7bhA.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I hope From doesn’t get into this habit of nerfing and buffing things at will. Many of us love our builds and don’t like the idea of them being nuked at any moment.

My Blasphemous Blade is going to tear up Malenia!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I feel inspired to try another From game. Bloodborne is more accessible than the rest, right? I think I read that here once or twice.
If you’re used to summoning for every fight then Bloodborne will be significantly harder. However, if you play Elden Ring solo most fights then without spamming special powers then Bloodborne shouldn’t be too hard.

Chaplain

"Until 2 months ago, I was a stranger to souls games. As an outsider looking in, I understood two things… they are extremely difficult and they change you as a person. Time after time I saw people say that Miyazaki’s work, in one way or another, has saved them. Depression, anxiety, and the like are something that we all often deal with, but how could such a brutally unrelenting series remedy the mental health of so many? Today on Psych of Play, we dive into the psychology of how exactly this happens."

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I also started Bloodborne after ER. Sorry, but it doesn't feel superior. Still very good, but afer ER, nah.
Agree, it's an amazing game but not better than ER in any sense.

Well, the music maybe? Played it long ago so not sure.

But yeah, aside from that it's the usual souls fare, just with a different coat of paint and some tweaked mechanics. I'd say one of it's weaker points is how the environments can get a bit repetitive, while one of it's strongest one's the world design, which I would put almost next to that of Dark Souls. Gotta love interconnected shit, man.

Last edited:
To everyone trying Bloodborne after ER: Enjoy a fantastic game. A tightly designed gameworld rivaling DS1, with unforgettable locations and great boss battles. Don't fret too much about comparisons between both games, they're doing different things, and it's alright.

To everyone doing the Bloodborne DLC as well: Good luck with that final boss.
snow white witch GIF

Last edited:
I feel inspired to try another From game. Bloodborne is more accessible than the rest, right? I think I read that here once or twice.
i wouldn't say it's the most accessible outside elden ring, i couldn't get into it for a long time. it has much faster gameplay (not quite sekiro) and you can't really use shields. need to get good at dodging, rolling, back stepping, parrying. parrying is really easy though cause even i can do it!

it's a fantastic game but for me i went and played dark souls 1 + 2 before going back to bloodborne. i suppose if you have played elden ring then you should be fine though.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Downloaded the mod that makes FP regen slowly and turned off anti cheat and my PC version is running like butter. It's the anti cheat shit that causes performance issues on my end. Also, for some reason I still have stutters in 1080p on my work monitor but not in 1440p at home? Weird af

i'm enjoying the game and i'm about 70 hours in now but the open world has got quite tiresome now. i'm not hating cause i still like riding around to find caves/catacombs or out of the way items. I was excited to return to Caelid and finally visiting Altus but i got through both areas real quick. Maybe 6-8 hours each. Maybe it's because Limgrave/Mistborn/Weeping Peninsula felt like one big starting area and that's why i feel disappointed now going into a new area.

The thing is i feel like the game is open world for the sake of it. It gives you freedom to go do something else but other than that I don't see the point in it. Everything else could've fit into any of the old From Software maps.

A lot of land is empty and a lot of landmarks are there purely for a single item. Towers hold spells. Ruins have talismans.

I hope if we get Elden Ring 2 they improve on the map and give us more to do. I doubt they will do it but they could cut down the map size considerably. There's a lot of padding and it makes it way too easy to become strong. I'm sure I'm over levelled and so far I've only had 1 real tough fight.

The more I'm thinking of it I miss the old Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro maps.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
65 hours in. Level 125. Good equipment.

The game has just 100% stopped being fun for me. Time to admit defeat and move on to playing something else. My streak of giving up on Dark Souls games continues.

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
Spent a good chunk of today trying to help peeps out with Malenia. It pains me to see most hosts get one shotted so easily. On the bright side, I can now deal with all of her moves. Good practice for an eventual NG+ run.
This was me yesterday too right before starting ng+

I think Malenia might be my favorite boss in the game. I can almost hear hosts gasping when I dodge through waterfowl dance haha.

Orbital2060

Finally beat the game at level 170 / 220 hours.

f5049199-2f9f-46f4-944ukkp.png

dcf01d42-0aec-43d8-b6k0jii.png

Radagan and Elden Beast was a tough encounter and in the end I spent some time levelling 20 levels in Vigor to help with the damage done especially by Radagan. The Pest Threads spell shreds Elden Beast apart pretty quickly, so it was a matter of finding a way to deal with the first phase reliably. Still a great fucking boss fight, although it can feel exhausting when you are learning how to deal with everything. Radagan is a relentless crazy train of damage. Some of his attacks were actually blockable to a degree when I tried that, but I figured the best way to go with him was to just take some damage and make the most of the hemorrhage build and trinkets which worked really well. He went down real fast when I stopped dodging around too much and just lay into him and roll out of the worst bullshit.

Also really loved the way the Arcane attribute is an integral part of both melee and spells, and certain weapons like the Nagakiba and Morgotts great sword which is the other single sword I used a lot for some encounters. Its great for breaking poise, and really smashes shit up. Which is great for a mostly DEX melee character, without the STR to wield the more smashier weapons. At 51 Arcane putting points into the stat still raises the weapon rating on the Nagakiba and River of Blood by 3 or 2 (2 or 1 for the River I think) each step, both scaling with ARC. And the Blood affinity directly scales up with each point put into Arcane, so the hemorrhage build-up goes up by 1:1 for each level up in the stat. Its pretty wild how much damage you can do quickly with an Hemorrhage build.

today i think i'm going to head to deeproot depths > mt gelnir > lake of rot > leyndell.
Maybe I'm just awful but after a couple weeks of failure I've finally done it! Time to push on through the end of the game 192hours 1 play through I'm trying to find more stuff to do before I go to the end

RYc8qdq.png
you're not awful. you beat her :)

i'm half excited and half dreading the fight. she seems to one of the hardest bosses in the game. i'm still quite a bit away from facing her.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
i wouldn't say it's the most accessible outside elden ring, i couldn't get into it for a long time. it has much faster gameplay (not quite sekiro) and you can't really use shields. need to get good at dodging, rolling, back stepping, parrying. parrying is really easy though cause even i can do it!

it's a fantastic game but for me i went and played dark souls 1 + 2 before going back to bloodborne. i suppose if you have played elden ring then you should be fine though.

Two bosses down so far, I'd say it's a little easier thus far. The combat being much tighter and the apparent lack of input reading by the enemies helps (if they are input reading it is really tame). I also didn't realize its clearly inspired by Lovecraft's work - my second literary love after gothic horror.

Also I swear this is my last post about Bloodborn.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Found the underground area finally. Went traipsing around the sewers, and a catacomb area down there. Got more to do.

I'm apparently at the final boss. I still have no clue who Malenia is :messenger_grinning_squinting: Maybe I should go back. Phase 2 of the final boss is kicking my ass anyway.

my progress today:
  • visited deeproot depths. fought the erdtree avatar, crucible knight siluria (took a few tries), and fought fia's champions. apparently a dragon was meant to spawn but i guess i needed to progress a quest.
  • went to lake of rot. was expecting worse than that. was only slightly annoying with the scarlet rot. the enemies in the cloister were kicking my ass so i ran past them :) i might go back at some point to fight the tree spirit and get a golden seed...but i'd rather not!
  • fought Astel. took a couple attempts.
  • finished ranni's quest by going to the cathedral of manus + killing the dragon. tried to do the chelona rise but it must be bugged. only 1 spirit animal appeared for me.
  • headed to Mt Gelnir. started from volcano manor and worked my way down to the site of grace near the bridge from altus. climbed up to the fullgrown fallingstar beast boss. kicked his ass.
  • now i'm at the lux ruins site of grace about to start the southern part. i've already found some caves/catacombs.
i'm level 98 now. +20 uchigatana. nagakiba is still +8 but is doing good damage so can't complain. i really need smithing stone [3]. bloodhound fang is now +9.
I'm apparently at the final boss. I still have no clue who Malenia is :messenger_grinning_squinting: Maybe I should go back. Phase 2 of the final boss is kicking my ass anyway.
she's in a hidden area and she's optional. you need to find 2 items (like you did to activate the dectus lift).

Mossybrew

I want a different build to mess around a bit in NG+ but I'm not sure what. Probably nothing that uses a shield, since I didn't use a shield at all my first playthrough and didn't miss it, so it would feel kinda pointless. Maybe a dual wield katana setup, using Rivers of Blood and something else for bleed?

GermanZepp

I want a different build to mess around a bit in NG+ but I'm not sure what. Probably nothing that uses a shield, since I didn't use a shield at all my first playthrough and didn't miss it, so it would feel kinda pointless. Maybe a dual wield katana setup, using Rivers of Blood and something else for bleed?
Lvl 103 or so right now, i'm trying dual katanas, +20 cold uchi and +8 moonveil, 40 vig and 40 int. the rest of the stat just enough to carry the swords) Those blades also scale with Dex, and i have some magic for range.

Fake

Gold Member
I've really grown attached to Latenna over the course of the game. She isn't the best Ash, probably mediocre overall, but she's my sidekick to the end.

Disagree. She is very poweful IF you're a close combat already used to evade. Just put her on an optimize spot and fight like hell, the boss don't even go after her.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Disagree. She is very poweful IF you're a close combat already used to evade. Just put on her optimize spot and fight like hell, the boss even go after her.
I’ve heard she is good but I need someone to take the heat off myself abs being an archer seems like I’d die quickly.

Fake

Gold Member
I’ve heard she is good but I need someone to take the heat off myself abs being an archer seems like I’d die quickly.

Will vary. People use to get ashes with good close combat because you can get enough room to breath.

Others stick with close gap and evade so increase damage output is better.

She not the best mind you, the Black Knife clan with her black flame litelary destroy any boss, but she can get a decent amount of damage and its very hard for the boss to evade her homming projects while fightning with you.

You just need to put her on a safety spot and she act like a machine gun.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
finished ranni's quest by going to the cathedral of manus + killing the dragon. tried to do the chelona rise but it must be bugged. only 1 spirit animal appeared for me.

Were you using a guide?

Not bugged, just really well hidden, and definitely not where you're expect them to be.

They can be anywhere on the plateau, not just near the tower.

Sygma

Bloodborne is more accessible in the sense that you get all kinds of item to utterly wreck your way through the whole game, its the most aggressive minded title made by From Soft

Now, you still gotta know what to do, and it really plays way differently than any other Souls like.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Finally have my build ready:

Let's see how that bitch Malenia handles this:

Weapon: Blasphemous Blade

Vigor: 56
Mind: 30
Endurance: 32
Strength: 25
Dexterity: 25
Intelligence: 7 (my player is a dumbass)
Faith: 80
Arcane: 12

Talismans:
1. Shard of Alexander - enhances charged attacks
2. Fire Scorpion Charm - raises fire attacks
3. Ritual Sword Talisman - max attack power at max health (goes well with blade)
4. Carian - use less FP

Incantations:
1. Flame, Grant me Strength
2. Golden Vow

Flask of Wonderous Physick
1. FLAME-SHROUDING CRACKED TEAR
2. Cerulean Hidden Tear

With my mimic this should wreck Malenia.

Top Bottom