• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I get it now, this shit is addictive. When I die I don't get angry. I instead form a burning a grudge against my enemy, swearing to return once I am stronger. I could go for some accessibility settings but it feels fine as is.

One thing is for sure, I need a lot more levels to take on this boss that keeps pumping my asshole.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
cq22et0rfxl81.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I get it now, this shit is addictive. When I die I don't get angry. I instead form a burning a grudge against my enemy, swearing to return once I am stronger. I could go for some accessibility settings but it feels fine as is.

One thing is for sure, I need a lot more levels to take on this boss that keeps pumping my asshole.

Guy on a horse just outside where you walk outside? Yeah, come back later.

GymWolf

Gold Member
essa

look up DS3 builds. What you can do in that game and in this games is pretty much the same. That will help you have some idea of builds you could make. I went with str/fth because it’s versatile enough.
But in ER you have so much stuff between summons, streamlined magic etc.

Also i don't really like watching guides, i still prefer having a gut made shitty build than a tailored one.

Just tell me if respec is a thing in this game or not.

Thanks anyway.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

You unlock respec after killing the 2nd big boss, there are enough items in one run of the game to respec 10 (or 11?) times but you need to go find the items to do so.

You can never go lower than your starting point values though, if you started with 10 STR you can't have 9.

Swift_Star

Banned

Also i don't really like watching guides, i still prefer having a gut made shitty build than a tailored one.

Thanks anyway.
It is, you will be able to respec after the Academy boss.
But it comes at a price.
It really is better to know what you're going to specialize into and focus on that. These games get really frustrating if you don't know what you're doing and if you mess your stats too much.
I really recommend you to do some research. I promise you it won't spoil the fun.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It is, you will be able to respec after the Academy boss.
But it comes at a price.
It really is better to know what you're going to specialize into and focus on that. These games get really frustrating if you don't know what you're doing and if you mess your stats too much.
I really recommend you to do some research. I promise you it won't spoil the fun.
I'm very close to restart the game after 15 hours to try an int\faith build, never tried before and magic seems too cool on this game to make my usual boring melee class with shiled.

The only thing that stop me from doing that is that the block counter mechanic is too good to only do a magic build...

GymWolf

Gold Member
You unlock respec after killing the 2nd big boss, there are enough items in one run of the game to respec 10 (or 11?) times but you need to go find the items to do so.

You can never go lower than your starting point values though, if you started with 10 STR you can't have 9.
I started wrech so no problem.

Just one more thing, are the items to upgrade the summons pretty rare? because i have like 6 of them already but all at level 1 because i don't know how rare the upgrade materials are...

I would love if any object in the game had a simple rare\common stat to avoid these questions entirely.

Last edited:

AV

I'm very close to restart the game after 15 hours to try an int\faith build, never tried before and magic seems too cool on this game to make my usual boring melee class with shiled.

The only thing that stop me from doing that is that the block counter mechanic is too good to only do a magic build...

Then there's no need to restart the game at all, there's a LOT to do after the 2nd main boss, you can just play as you are until then and switch later.

If I remember right you're the guy with 600 hours in Monster Hunter and I think you might find magic really boring honestly. Don't throw away your current character, if you can beat Margit in 3 tries you can beat the game with a shit build. Get a few larval tears (the respec items), try it out, if it's not for you you can use a magic scaling weapon or just go back and perfect the STR/DEX build.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Then there's no need to restart the game at all, there's a LOT to do after the 2nd main boss, you can just play as you are until then and switch later.

If I remember right you're the guy with 600 hours in Monster Hunter and I think you might find magic really boring honestly. Don't throw away your current character, if you can beat Margit in 3 tries you can beat the game with a shit build. Get a few larval tears (the respec items), try it out, if it's not for you you can use a magic scaling weapon or just go back and perfect the STR/DEX build.
It was just to try something different, there is really a fuckton of cool stuff related to int\faith builds and unless the game has some incredible tricky melee weapon ala bloodborne\mh that can keep my interest high, i don't feel like i would miss that much except for the block counter mechanic that i love, i chose melee in all the soulsborne games i played.

Last edited:

WoodyStare

Guys, did they improve load times? I see I'm on version 2.02 on Xbox now. Load times in Stormveil are like 3-5 seconds and I am not seeing the frame dips.
It’s funny you mention this because last night I thought I noticed something similar with the load times. I wasn’t sure if it varied depending on the area, but even then it felt a lot quicker than usual.

This is hilarious. Check this tweet exchange between Ubisoft and Guerilla devs. Ahmed is UX Director @ Ubisoft Stockholm:

FNLSHkPWUAwrIq8

Now this:

FNKa1q5WQAIG6PU

Really embarrassing, petty, and unprofessional.

Still, it's pretty entertaining and fascinating to see the meltdowns triggered by this game. Sad too though. Wish I could coop with the people struggling and show them how much fun it can be when you just wander around and explore.

AV

Can a kind soul point me a spot for farming? i'm lvl 45. Tonight i'm going to the Raya Lucaria city and academy zone.

Don't. The game is absolutely massive enough without wasting time repeating the same zone. If you can beat Godrick, you can beat Elden Ring. Just go explore the multitude of optional areas and you'll quickly rack up plenty of runes.

BadBurger

I am playing PC, 4K, maximum settings. It hovers between the high 40's to mid 50's mostly. Not had any issues. Is this considered poor by some? I realize the game is no Horizon in the graphics department, but it ain't bad. Character and enemy models look amazing.

Is it me or does this sound like Latin? Anyone here know it?

Yeah, it's Latin. I had it in school so I recognize it a bit.

O locus ille, beatus condum num deminuit, nos destinate matribus, nunc fiunt turpes, ploravimus, lacrimavimusque, sed nemo nos consolatur aureum, cui irascebaris

Don't ask for a translation though, school was almost 15 years ago for me :messenger_beaming:

AV

I am playing PC, 4K, maximum settings. It hovers between the high 40's to mid 50's mostly. Not had any issues. Is this considered poor by some? I realize the game is no Horizon in the graphics department, but it ain't bad. Character and enemy models look amazing.

Try lowering it to medium settings and you will still get almost the same framerate. That's what people are talking about mostly, it's horribly optimised but that's par for the course with Fromsoft honestly.

It might have "outdated" graphics like some people are complaining about but the art direction is absolutely sublime. So many incredible areas that Twitter warriors aren't going to see because they either don't play the game or give up in Green Hill Zone. Art > fidelity which is why BOTW was more interesting to look at than any Assassin's Creed game.

BadBurger

Try lowering it to medium settings and you will still get almost the same framerate. That's what people are talking about mostly, it's horribly optimised but that's par for the course with Fromsoft honestly.

It might have "outdated" graphics like some people are complaining about but the art direction is absolutely sublime. So many incredible areas that Twitter warriors aren't going to see because they either don't play the game or give up in Green Hill Zone. Art > fidelity which is why BOTW was more interesting to look at than any Assassin's Creed game.

I see, I could understand why that would be frustrating.

Does dex improve attack speed? I am really enjoying this knife I have - easy to interrupt enemies, does good damage with light attacks when improved. Thinking about a dex build. Found a flail that requires a few more points as well.

Also, I was thinking "boy the map is really plain and boring", then I finally found a map. Very nice.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

For whatever reason I realized my weapon will hit much harder once I upgrade it. It should scale to a B and right now it’s at a C. It’s easy to get in the habit of multiple retries when the answer is right there. I had this boss down to a quarter bar and I moved the item in my menu and it made me stand there like a duck out of water.

I bought the PC version yesterday because I want to play this on a Steam Deck. I had to cancel my preorder.

BadBurger

For whatever reason I realized my weapon will hit much harder once I upgrade it. It should scale to a B and right now it’s at a C. It’s easy to get in the habit of multiple retries when the answer is right there. I had this boss down to a quarter bar and I moved the item in my menu and it made me stand there like a duck out of water.

I bought the PC version yesterday because I want to play this on a Steam Deck. I had to cancel my preorder.

I installed it on my Deck as well. Runs over 30 fps most of the time with limited settings. Looks fine on the small screen.

AV

I see, I could understand why that would be frustrating.

Does dex improve attack speed? I am really enjoying this knife I have - easy to interrupt enemies, does good damage with light attacks when improved. Thinking about a dex build. Found a flail that requires a few more points as well.

Also, I was thinking "boy the map is really plain and boring", then I finally found a map. Very nice.

Not weapon attack speed, it does affect magic cast speed. Weapons have their own attack speeds and cadences, it's just about finding the style you like.

Primarily stats like DEX, STR, INT, FAI are there to give better weapons limitations before you can equip them. Mostly you will probably want points in VIT and END. You'll notice as well that weapons have a grade next to specific stats and this is their affinity scaling, so for example you might have a dagger with D Dex scaling and when you upgrade that dagger to a +10 this becomes C scaling and every DEX point you have will increase the damage done even more. That doesn't necessarily mean you should pump DEX of course.

As a map hint, there are tiny little pictures of obelisks on your map's unexplored areas where you'll find map fragments.

Ar¢tos

Just one more thing, are the items to upgrade the summons pretty rare? because i have like 6 of them already but all at level 1 because i don't know how rare the upgrade materials are...

I would love if any object in the game had a simple rare\common stat to avoid these questions entirely.
Gloveworts grow in Catacombs mainly, you can find a few in mandatory areas of the game, but farming them is in catacombs. Just run by catacombs ignoring enemies and collecting them (you should have the mentality that dying is not important by now).

SkylineRKR

The hostile NPC's can fuck off and die. Everytime I think I've slain the worst, another pops up. Fuck something something Preceptor.

so i think i'm finally ready to face the first boss :messenger_tears_of_joy:

defeated some more mini bosses today. some guy with swinging hammers, assassin dude who was super weak, the dragon at the swamp area, the black calvary knight or at least i think that's what he was called...the one on the bridge. i was invaded by a red NPC but the guy with the cone hat turned up and helped me. met Patches and bought some stuff (an item for the Margit boss fight?). he thought he was being funny transporting me to the the big ass bear in the woods. jokes on him cause i had already defeated it a few times. killed 3 for the fun of it and got a lot of runes to lvl up! the guy at the roundhold table showed me where a portal was (i had actually already found it but avoided it) so i went there and spoke to the big guy. explored that area for a bit but i'm dying way too easy so i'll come back later. the only things i haven't done are the 2 gaol fights. can't be bothered with that right now so i'll do that later aswell.

i will probably give the boss a shot next to get an idea of whether or not i'm strong enough (lvl 30, +4 sword, +2 shield, upgraded my spirits to +1). if i feel i can't beat them i'll go explore more. i unlocked the map for the area south of the starting area where the big giant fires arrows at you and of course the map area where the bears + portal are. i don't want to go into the reddish part of the map. too many dragons there!

As a map hint, there are tiny little pictures of obelisks on your map's unexplored areas where you'll find map fragments.
i was wondering what they were! i had an idea it was map fragments but never knew for sure. i was riding around looking for a map fragment ... i knew i should've headed towards that. good to know! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Gloveworts grow in Catacombs mainly, you can find a few in mandatory areas of the game, but farming them is in catacombs. Just run by catacombs ignoring enemies and collecting them (you should have the mentality that dying is not important by now).
I already visited 2 caves so i probably already have a couple of them, i need to check.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
90 hours in, level 100... And I just started the Altus Plateau. Guess I still have game ahead of me, although I think I cleared all there is to do in the underground areas, and finally reached that pleateau at the south of Liurnia.

Btw, beaten a boss which might be the most crazy shit I've seen in those games in some time, design and attack pattern wise. And it was optional.

I thought the honeymoon effect would go away, but nah, more than one week after release and I still think this might be the best games I've ever played. Top 5 for sure, at the very least.

Crazy thing is that I still see window for improvements, so I really hope we get some Elden Ring sequels down the line.

The hostile NPC's can fuck off and die. Everytime I think I've slain the worst, another pops up. Fuck something something Preceptor.
Preceptor Miriam? She's a bitch, but I kinda like that fight.

Last edited:

AV

My top 3 of most hated enemies so far:

3. Those fucking birds.
2. Those centipede looking dudes in Caelid. Asshole endless spamcast that never runs out of jizz.
1. The asshole aimbot archers down at siofra river.

My number one is probably these guys, although I will say, they are important to the game in a way that some people will never even discover.

maxresdefault.jpg

Apart from that, fuck the imps.

jade_goblin_wildlife_creature_elden_ring_wiki_guide_300px.jpg

AV

90 hours in, level 100... And I just started the Altus Plateau. Guess I still have game ahead of me, although I think I cleared all there is to do in the underground areas, and finally reached that pleateau at the south of Liurnia.

Oh ho ho, you have game ahead of you still. And unless you did a big optional boss as a result of a long quest chain, you're not done in the area you mentioned. I went back there on 3, maybe 4 separate occasions.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Oh ho ho, you have game ahead of you still. And unless you did a big optional boss as a result of a long quest chain, you're not done in the area you mentioned. I went back there on 3, maybe 4 separate occasions.
I spent 12 hours doing that quest for Ranni. I think it's done, but now that you mention I think I've cleared the Ansel and Siofra, but still have another area to do, the one that comes after the gargolyes.

Man do I love this videogame.

Last edited:

Aesius

Likewise.

The game amplifies everything I love about Souls games, but also the underlying frustration. Its obtuseness is starting to get a little tiresome.

And I’m sure most will disagree, but the game just feels too big. Needs editing. Wonder has been displaced by a feeling of mild pointlessness.

Still incredible.
I think that’s the downfall of almost all huge open world games. The difference is how long they can maintain the illusion before you start to see behind the curtain so to speak.

AV

I spent 12 hours doing that quest for Ranni. I think it's done, but now that you mention I think I've cleared the Ansel and Siofra, but still have another area to do, the one that comes after the gargolyes.

Man do I love this videogame.

I think you're exactly where I am then, done the one at the end of the Ranni chain but I put the game down last night after the gargoyles.

But yeah, in terms of main content, you've got a ways to go if you just started the plateau.

Has to be one of the best games ever made. It just absolutely shits on 99% of "adventure" video games out there.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Those slimes with electricity are fun in groups. There's a particular hallway where about 20 of them drop from the ceiling and it's just an endless chain once one goes off.

Also there's a room with a treasure chest inside and once you run ins the door closes and a big ball drops behind you. The aftermath bloodstains are hilarious.

TintoConCasera

I think you're exactly where I am then, done the one at the end of the Ranni chain but I put the game down last night after the gargoyles.

But yeah, in terms of main content, you've got a ways to go if you just started the plateau.

Has to be one of the best games ever made. It just absolutely shits on 99% of "adventure" video games out there.
Right on the nail my man. "Adventure" is the feeling this game has been giving to me since I started playing, and almost no games out there are able to even come close to it.

By the way, did that boss's name at the end started by "As***"? Becuse man, was that some crazy boss fight.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

This quest man... so good. And the underground areas are just outstanding. The shocking part is how much of this there is.

BTW if the gargoyles you mentioned are the fight I think... you have a real lot left to see!

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: AV

BadBurger

My top 3 of most hated enemies so far:

3. Those fucking birds.
2. Those centipede looking dudes in Caelid. Asshole endless spamcast that never runs out of jizz.
1. The asshole aimbot archers down at siofra river.

I really hate the giant bats that roam around at night. So fast.

AV

Right on the nail my man. "Adventure" is the feeling this game has been giving to me since I started playing, and almost no games out there are able to even come close to it.

By the way, did that boss's name at the end started by "As***"? Becuse man, was that some crazy boss fight.

Yep, that's the one. Unlocks a unique ending by defeating it, I'm not at the end yet but getting my ducks in a row so as not to have to replay the whole thing 4 times, gonna make save backups. If I didn't have a job, maybe I would beat it 4 times :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Swift_Star

Banned
What’s with the sound of this game? It sounds so compressed. If I turn the volume over a certain threshold, it sounds compressed with lots of digital noise. That doesn’t happen in any other game with the same volume.

TintoConCasera

Yep, that's the one. Unlocks a unique ending by defeating it, I'm not at the end yet but getting my ducks in a row so as not to have to replay the whole thing 4 times, gonna make save backups. If I didn't have a job, maybe I would beat it 4 times :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Just as I thought. And if you ask me... Fuck the Two Fingers. Ranni is much cuter and Blaidd and Iji are total bros.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: AV

I feel like a scrub. I was lvl 25 or so, used the golden summon and used jellyfish ashes (super cheese tbh, did thousands of damage on its own) and I barely killed him. At least I got Godrick on the second try :messenger_beaming:

TintoConCasera

surprise-smile.gif

That feeling when, after being "trolled" for about 100 times, you actually find an illusionary wall for the first time in 40 hours of playtime.
Don't let that dopamine rush turn you into a "I must hit all walls" junkie. I've been there, it's not fun. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Specially since, aside from secret walls, there's also secret floors.

AV

I feel like a scrub. I was lvl 25 or so, used the golden summon and used jellyfish ashes (super cheese tbh, did thousands of damage on its own) and I barely killed him. At least I got Godrick on the second try :messenger_beaming:

Didn't take long, as usual these videos should be evidence for the people who claim these bosses are "unfair". Motherfucker just beat up the biggest wall in the game as a caveman.

So I'm level 82 and doing a bit of side shit cos I got road blocked on a certain fecking boss. In a nowhere place called the unsightly catacombs that you need to use one of those stoneswords just to get in. Not much chance of coop here right? Oh look 2 bosses... drop sign and good lord constant summoning! Mostly squishy mages to be fair. Being a tank has some advantages.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired

Thanks anyway.
Respec is something you unlock once you reach and finish Raya Lucaria. It requires an item called Larval Tears? Iirc.

They become increasingly more common later on in the game. I have respecced twice and I still have 8 of those items left.

Top Bottom