• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Cyberpunkd

Ah FROM, even thought this game has lots of QoL improvements you still cannot help yourself and need to put shit corpse run to the boss once in a while. Here, have 10 casters spamming magic missile.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ah FROM, even thought this game has lots of QoL improvements you still cannot help yourself and need to put shit corpse run to the boss once in a while. Here, have 10 casters spamming magic missile.

Assuming you're talking about the academy, you can sprint past them and get maybe one hit in the back, worst case scenario.

Imps are one of those annoying mobs where if you get hit once, it can send you into hit recovery where you basically are going to die because they spam their attacks

those walking hands do the same shit

I don't know if there is a way to free yourself from getting thrown into hit recovery, I don't think there is
Ya the hit lag in this game is atrocious. Get hit once have fun waiting 2 secs before you can control again. Worse is getting knocked down and watching for like 5 secs as your character slowly gets up, and of course your hit box is active during this time so you can easily get hit again while you have no control at all. Ya lol that sure does make the game “hard” lmfao.

I’ve played every single souls game, hundreds and hundreds of hours, but that hit stun has never been as bad as it is in Elden Ring. The game overall is great, but there is a truck load of jank you have to deal with.

Ya the hit lag in this game is atrocious. Get hit once have fun waiting 2 secs before you can control again. Worse is getting knocked down and watching for like 5 secs as your character slowly gets up, and of course your hit box is active during this time so you can easily get hit again while you have no control at all. Ya lol that sure does make the game “hard” lmfao.

I’ve played every single souls game, hundreds and hundreds of hours, but that hit stun has never been as bad as it is in Elden Ring. The game overall is great, but there is a truck load of jank you have to deal with.
My biggest issue is hit box detection while on horseback and sometimes the lock-on jumps to the back of a mob rather than the person right in front of me.

All the same though, I just deal with it accordingly. Every time that has happened, I'm usually overwhelmed and put myself in a bad spot. So I view it like 60/40, with me being the one more at fault.

Last edited:
Worse is getting knocked down and watching for like 5 secs as your character slowly gets up, and of course your hit box is active during this time so you can easily get hit again while you have no control at all.
Weird, I've been able to roll out of knockdowns; were you blocking when you got knocked down? Perhaps you got guard broken at the same time.

Vaelka

I love the game a lot, one of my favorite games in recent memory.
But holy hell I hate how I feel like I can't play a female character...
There's virtually no difference between '' body type A and B '' with gear, the gear looks like it's all tailor-made for the male character and then copy pasted to the female character.
In past Souls games at least I remember the proportions being a bit different and actually make them visually distinct.

In Elden Ring I feel like the game is forcing me to play a male character basically.

Weird, I've been able to roll out of knockdowns; were you blocking when you got knocked down? Perhaps you got guard broken at the same time.
Some types of hit stun you can roll to cancel that’s true, but there are other hits where you just gotta eat it or not get hit. That’s fine, but it sucks when it essentially just makes more moves effectively “1 shots” you might be getting hit multiple times, but after the first hit you lose control of your character the 2 or 3 hits that follow kill you. \_0_/ not a 1 shot lol.

Don’t let my criticism of the game make anyone think I’m not hopelessly addicted to it. Just gotta get the salt out of my system from time to time. I mean, if I really hated it that much, I’d just stop playing… and that’s not gonna happen ; )

SkylineRKR

Imps are one of those annoying mobs where if you get hit once, it can send you into hit recovery where you basically are going to die because they spam their attacks

those walking hands do the same shit

I don't know if there is a way to free yourself from getting thrown into hit recovery, I don't think there is

Enemies could use a phase where they're out of stamina. Those hands just keep on attacking relentlessly. I eventually dropped Greatsword, its doable, but the margin of error is rather small. With shield you just tank a hit and R2. There are more like these enemies, such as those bullshit guys with 4 arms.

On the other hand, shield is much like DS3 onward, so useless against most bosses. I 2hand bosses mostly anyway, but a longsword or something has faster frames so I can get out quicker. I miss being able to beat the entire game with UGS, like I did with DeS, DS1 and DS2, its still possible but I find it too much risk with these fast incoming attacks and interrupts.

Last edited:
Enemies could use a phase where they're out of stamina. Those hands just keep on attacking relentlessly. I eventually dropped Greatsword, its doable, but the margin of error is rather small. With shield you just tank a hit and R2. There are more like these enemies, such as those bullshit guys with 4 arms.

On the other hand, shield is much like DS3 onward, so useless against most bosses. I 2hand bosses mostly anyway, but a longsword or something has faster frames so I can get out quicker.
I don't really mine the hands too much. while I don't use a shield, they seem super susceptible to slash damage. my katanas can fuck them up, the trick is to hit them before they hit you. if I can connect first it isn't an issue.

the imps are just annoying as fuck because due to level design you usually have one hiding in the corner, another one dropping from the ceiling, and two facing you down the hall, all aggro at the same time

I'm not sure why I hate them so much but they're one of the most annoying creatures in the game, outside of like mosquitos and shit

scalman

on DF weekly video they talk about well one guy talks about how poor elden ring engine is and how dated it is compare to other games in genera. plus it runs so badly , worse on pc , some better on consoles. best on PS5 with Ps4 Pro version.
i dont see how someone can see this game as something special. i run it first 10 min and i saw all outdated things there ...its just is ... no matter is pc low or max settings.

SkylineRKR

on DF weekly video they talk about well one guy talks about how poor elden ring engine is and how dated it is compare to other games in genera. plus it runs so badly , worse on pc , some better on consoles. best on PS5 with Ps4 Pro version.
i dont see how someone can see this game as something special. i run it first 10 min and i saw all outdated things there ...its just is ... no matter is pc low or max settings.

Brilliant open world that keeps on giving. And art direction goes a long way, sometimes it looks phenomenal. I'd rather play this than Horizon, Cyberpunk or whatever game is technically more advanced. I do wish the native PS5 version was complete stable though.

scalman

briliant maybe compare to previous souls games, surely not to other open world games. its nothing to compare here even to like 6 yr old open world games.

Swift_Star

Banned
My number one is probably these guys, although I will say, they are important to the game in a way that some people will never even discover.

maxresdefault.jpg

Apart from that, fuck the imps.

jade_goblin_wildlife_creature_elden_ring_wiki_guide_300px.jpg
I find the imps ok, I just spam r2 jump on them. The clay dolls on the other hand are completely unfair. They spam the grab attack. Really shitty and badly designed enemy. And I got transported to volcano manor because of them. Lmao

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
another souls seems like . looks kinda outdated, runs no probs on gtx 1060 laptop , movements souls style again "wooden" and kinda old allready. gravity defying jumps and falls again. leveling is stupid as you can just ride on that horse pretty much everywhere without fighting anyone and collecting all that cool stuff for your upgrades.
dont feel any satisfaction from exploring for sure. zelda botw made sense to explore and fight, or AC or RDR2 ... but this ... its not bad but nothing special too. never cared for souls games so this is not much diff from those . for souls fans its amazing im sure.
but man it can look bad visually inside buildings , dungeons ... so outdated look. good thing that it runs on almost anything there.
compare this "open word" visually to something like Horizon first game its like full generation appart games.
briliant maybe compare to previous souls games, surely not to other open world games. its nothing to compare here even to like 6 yr old open world games.
W8A7Jb4.gif

the spot where you battle Radahn that then opens up after the fight seemed WAY too big to contain nothing. I'm talking about the battlefield where the fight takes place.

so I searched it after the fight, didn't find anything interesting

went back this past weekend because, on reflection, I assumed I must have missed something. the area is just too big to having nothing special. didn't find anything.

went back today for a final sweep and found something...this game just keeps delivering

this is the laziest troll attempt ever

Last edited:

jadefire66

Fuck, you just reminded me of the Draconic Tree Sentinel. Every time he knocks your horse down, you are helpless for like 5 seconds while trying to get up and he hits you on the ground and kills you EVERY TIME. No i-frames during that forced get up animation (that you cant even dodge out of) lmao.

jadefire66

80 hrs in, I did like 90%+ of the content. Looked up npc questlines and stuff, did everything apart from two that I can't do on this character (will do them on NG+ or another char). Some of them were really fun. Love how obscure most stuff is. Too lazy to do every cave/dungeon that I missed so tomorrow I'm going past the Forge of Giants? Leads to the Crumbling Azula level right?. So I might actually finish it tomorrow :) Think I unlocked every ending as well.

Next character I will try to rush to the Mimic Tear. I wanna get it asap. That means fighting Radahn at low level 😳😨

Last edited:
Kind of continuing off my last post:

because the game can be cheap sometimes I’ll never understand the people who say “using summons is easy mode” “leveling up is cheating” “using ashes of war is cheap” ect ect ect
The game uses all the bullshit it can muster against you, and I believe the expectation is that you should be using all your tools in turn against the computer.

Imo, if the game allows it then it’s all good. The idea that you have to SL1 the game in rags or you haven’t “earned it” is nonsense of the highest order. Any viable strategy that gets you the Win is all that matters. Different people approach the game differently and the game allows for that and even encourages it! There’s no right or wrong way to play. Do what’s fun. Enjoy yourself. People on social media be trying to police how others play so hard they might as well be cops in training.

Next character I will try to rush to the Mimic Tear. I wanna get it asap. That means fighting Radahn at low level 😳😨
it's possible to easily cheese that boss (might actually be a glitch). when I tried it, I was able to beat Radahn without taking any damage. I can share the technique if you're interested, but it is cheesy as hell.

edit: even without a glitch, it seems you can use rot to kill pretty much everything in this game. I'm honestly predicting that rot gets patched. it is incredibly OP.

Last edited:

jadefire66

it's possible to easily cheese that boss (might actually be a glitch). when I tried it, I was able to beat Radahn without taking any damage. I can share the technique if you're interested, but it is cheesy as hell.

edit: even without a glitch, it seems you can use rot to kill pretty much everything in this game. I'm honestly predicting that rot gets patched. it is incredibly OP.

I was sure it was gonna be rot. I've seen people on reddit mention cheesing bosses with it. I remember the vast majority of bosses in this series were either immune or very resistant to poison/toxin so it's interesting to see it being effective vs bosses in this game, it's a nice change. I also love how effective bleed is, against soo many bosses. Last time it was this good in PVE it was DS1. In fact it's even better in Elden Ring, I think.

You know any weapons with rot? Cause I wasn't planning on using spells.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

I faced my first group of Hands......what in the ....who thinks of these things.....why....I just ran away.

I love this game, I hate those hands.
Good ol hand spiders, fire is good to stun them. They should of kept the hand hippos from ds3 too, put them together

DeaDPo0L84

70 hours in, level 115, this is shaping up to being one of my favorite gaming experiences in quite some time if not ever,but it's being held back still by some pretty glaring technical issues and lack of PC specific features (unlocked framerate/ultrawide support).

But I find myself when I'm not playing often thinking about what I'm gonna tackle when I get home and that's a good sign for me.

I was sure it was gonna be rot. I've seen people on reddit mention cheesing bosses with it. I remember the vast majority of bosses in this series were either immune or very resistant to poison/toxin so it's interesting to see it being effective vs bosses in this game, it's a nice change. I also love how effective bleed is, against soo many bosses. Last time it was this good in PVE it was DS1. In fact it's even better in Elden Ring, I think.

You know any weapons with rot? Cause I wasn't planning on using spells.
the way I was talking about cheesing Radahn doesn't actually use rot

but for rot, you can craft arrows or darts with rot, which is what I do. I stopped doing that though because it turns out the resource to make it is very rare and I haven't found a way to get them to respawn. you use Aeonians Butterflies which I've found in the swamps of Caelid and scattered aroudn Caelid in general. I stopped crafting rot stuff until I find a way to farm for it. I don't want to burn through all my butterflies and have none for the end game.

I'm sure there is a rot grease recipe for your melee weapon too, I just haven't found it yet.

Majukun

No idea what are you supposed to do on the second phase of the boss in stormveil castle.

his attacks in the new form literally cover the entire battlefield

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
maybe I'm just getting ocd as fuck as I get older because im 20 hours in and I still can't get out of the starting area because I keep checking and re checking every inch for shit I don't want to miss and it's taking me forever to cover new ground

anyone else have this problem? maybe using an online map might be better for my mental health :messenger_dizzy:

Ah, what method then? I wanna know!
run at him directly on foot then on horse, don't spawn any of the NPCs to help you fight. just get to him safely. that's the firs step.

once you get to him, auto lock onto him and simply run behind his butt/rear and swing your weapon. just hold forward on the controller. you must be on your horse.

you will follow him as he gallops back and forth, constantly turning around. it is hard to explain, but he basically runs this same pattern back and forth while you auto follow him from behind. you can attack him and he wont even enter phase 2, let alone attack you

I'm sure videos exist of people doing this, might make it easier to understand

Last edited:
maybe I'm just getting ocd as fuck as I get older because im 20 hours in and I still can't get out of the starting area because I keep checking and re checking every inch for shit I don't want to miss and it's taking me forever to cover new ground

anyone else have this problem? maybe using an online map might be better for my mental health :messenger_dizzy:
I've learned to move on and use it as an excuse to revisit whenever I need a break

I'm level 90 and still visit Limgrave, Caelid, and Liurna when I want to chill a bit. and I still continue to find new shit.

Duellist

So what is the best setup for duel wielding uchigatana’s? Right now I have a keen uchi with bloody slash on my right hand and just a regular on my left. Are there any cool combos that you can do? Right now just hitting L1 does a 2 sword combo but that’s really it.

So what is the best setup for duel wielding uchigatana’s? Right now I have a keen uchi with bloody slash on my right hand and just a regular on my left. Are there any cool combos that you can do? Right now just hitting L1 does a 2 sword combo but that’s really it.
I use unsheathe w/ keen on both. I dual wield most the time if I'm facing monsters I can't easily kill with 1-2 hits with 2h a single katana, if that makes sense.

if I am fighting a beefy enemy or boss, I find dual wielding to be superior as it lets you proc bleed faster. for those fights, I use the rolling L1, jumping L1 and regular L1 combo a lot. and of course unsheathe.

all other times I just 2h the uchi that is the highest level. this eats up less stamina and allows me to be more precise with my attacks. it is safer IMO, as the attack animation is shorter so you can get in and out faster. I find the dual wield animation a bit long, and if you are fighting several enemies it can leave you exposed.

I also use a bow a lot, because if you are going dex you gotta have a decent bow!

Last edited:

Duellist

I use unsheathe w/ keen on both. I dual wield most the time if I'm facing monsters I can't easily kill with 1-2 hits with 2h a single katana, if that makes sense.

if I am fighting a beefy enemy or boss, I find dual wielding to be superior as it lets you proc bleed faster. for those fights, I use the rolling L1, jumping L1 and regular L1 combo a lot. and of course unsheathe.

all other times I just 2h the uchi that is the highest level. this eats up less stamina and allows me to be more precise with my attacks. it is safer IMO, as the attack animation is shorter so you can get in and out faster. I find the dual wield animation a bit long, and if you are fighting several enemies it can leave you exposed.

I also use a bow a lot, because if you are going dex you gotta have a decent bow!
Ok cool, I don’t have the unsheathe art of war yet so when I get it I will try it out. Thanks!

Ok cool, I don’t have the unsheathe art of war yet so when I get it I will try it out. Thanks!
it is the weapon art that comes as the default on the uchi, but you do want to find the weapon art ash as it will allow you to apply keen

this is a very spoiler free hint as to where to find the weapon art if you're interested, will just say the region:

it's in Limgrave

Last edited:

Majukun

kinda, my issue is that the moment i'm given an objective i purposefully wander off elsewhere..i'm like 26 hours in and i'm only now on stormveil castle...i did visit other regions though in the meanwhile

I was just riding around not paying attention to the map and came across a shack sitting by itself at the end of a ravine. Then I noticed a small ladder going up, sweet, turns out it's a mine, but it's hitting different because there are actual ruins here. Suddenly I'm traversing a sprawling set of ruins on a cliff face in a place where I wasn't expecting anything to be. Turns out it's a place called Ruin-Strewn Precipice. I love this game.

Rob_27

Same mate. Not met a boss yet lol. Only a bear.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
FROM sure loves their bull fighting….”Full-Grown Fallingstar Beast” sure was something, the guy barely took any damage. You have to hit his head in order to inflict decent damage on him.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
The beauty of this games level design and the amount of unbelievable things that happen from moment to moment are blowing me away. I’ve got 4 great runes and put over 100 hours into the game. I’ve got a sword that doubles as a laser cannon and a flame thrower that I literally found running away from some enemies in an area I was too low to be in. After leveling for a bit and finding Radahn I got my ass handed to me. After I finally figured out the first phase of the fight this mofo just turns it up a notch and does ….. yea amazing. The most amazing part was after the fight. I just ran around aimlessly taking pictures in the desert then as I’m riding my wife asks, is that a door? Nope I just beat a boss they dont put doors in these areas. She insisted and I went back and sure as shit there’s a door. God tier game design.

Also the level of interactivity the enemies have with the world is also blowing my mind. I can’t break stone walls or knock over trees but giants and dragons sure as shit can. Love jumping over a wall only to have a giant knock that shit down while chasing me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom