• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
HWyZPyy.jpg

Anyone know how to get over there?
aO8BbYA.jpg
Top most teleporter at the 4 Belfries in Liurnia will warp you there.

OsirisBlack

Banned
4QPpOGV.jpg

Best spell so far Meteorite of Astel. Man if this doesn’t kill it, it won’t die.
That's exactly how you should be playing, it's your own grand adventure. I'm clearing every corner of the map, exploring everything. 👍
Best no hud game I’ve ever experienced. Anyone else walking everywhere or is everyone else just fast traveling ?

Edited to emphasize…. EVER.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Put in some more time tonight. Warped out of Raya Lucaria and went back to Stormveil. Finally did the part with the great tune to the east. I should have realized sooner but it finally dawned on me. Also got a bit into both the lower areas (2nd or 3rd Grace point each).

This game is so freaking massive. There’s always something to go do.

Mimics veil is pretty nifty, I should have been using it a long time ago to sneak past terrible parts of dungeons

I feel like I’m playing MGS when I turn into the wooden the box

I thought it was a spell for some reason, not an item

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
ok, just played 3 more hours today I think and I just explored almost all of Caelid. I’m at level 66 and not finding the area hard at all. Defeated the O’Neil guy and then decided to try to go to Liurna divine tower. I didn’t know you had to beat Radann before going there so I went anyway and got my ass kicked three times. That NPC there is really awful but ended up defeating that shitty little thing.

Swift_Star

Banned
4QPpOGV.jpg

Best spell so far Meteorite of Astel. Man if this doesn’t kill it, it won’t die.

Best no hud game I’ve ever experienced. Anyone else walking everywhere or is everyone else just fast traveling ?

Edited to emphasize…. EVER.
I don’t wander anywhere, no, I open the map, see something like a structure in there, but the marker and go after it. The map is filled with hidden indicators of stuff.

Stuart360

30 hours in the game now and still loving it, but man i'm starting to get a little frustrated with having to tab out of the game, go on Google, and search for the answer to some item, quest, or how to access certain places etc. I know that how Souls games are (played them all), but i think its a bit more of a problem in such an open world like this lol.

Doom85

ok, just played 3 more hours today I think and I just explored almost all of Caelid. I’m at level 66 and not finding the area hard at all. Defeated the O’Neil guy and then decided to try to go to Liurna divine tower. I didn’t know you had to beat Radann before going there so I went anyway and got my ass kicked three times. That NPC there is really awful but ended up defeating that shitty little thing.

Is that the teleporting NPC? LOL, I got down to zero flasks and about 20% HP but he was two hits from being done so I just stayed back as he blasted the rails uselessly from afar and regenerated HP with my talisman. Then I charged in and slaughtered him.

Swift_Star

Banned
Is that the teleporting NPC? LOL, I got down to zero flasks and about 20% HP but he was two hits from being done so I just stayed back as he blasted the rails uselessly from afar and regenerated HP with my talisman. Then I charged in and slaughtered him.
Yes, that’s the one. The little shit annoyed me to death.

Swift_Star

Banned
Pretty shitty that to fight Radhan you have to do an obscure side quest. I started it without knowing and now did some research to understand how it goes. This is one thing I don’t like about this game.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I'm at 92 hours clocked now. Cleared all of Nokron up until the boss, all I have to say is:

Looks familiar
Visions of belfry

If you know you know 😆 Ventured into the Northern part of Caelid and did a bunch of stuff there too. Fought an optional boss that rewarded me 65k and Drake Talisman + 2. Unlocked another one of the teleporters at the Four Belfries and 🤯🤯🤯. Also activated the lift in Northern Liurnia but will leave that area until I've wrapped up the other stuff. Fought another optional boss that has some of the most wildly unique attacks in the entire game, tough battle, very cool.

It's interesting to observe how many people in this thread want everything spelled out for them and are constantly Googling stuff, defeats the purpose of these kinds of games. Trust that the answers will come, often you will need something that isn't obtainable until much later or you didn't fully explore the region you're in for the missing piece of the puzzle. Also, if you're rushing through each region trying to get to the end you're literally missing 70% of the game, that isn't even an exaggeration lol. This world is stuffed to the gills with secrets and optional wonders to uncover, even after all these hours I continue to be astonished.

Father Milk's holy crusade continues, my Faith stronger than it's ever been. 🙏 Oh, one other thing. If you summon me to help you with a boss and don't give me the courtesy of a bow what's going to happen is I'm going to enter the boss room with you, lie down in the corner and gleefully observe you get wreck'd. These ADD kids need to learn some god damn respect lol.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I'm at 92 hours clocked now. Cleared all of Nokron up until the boss, all I have to say is:

Looks familiar
Visions of belfry

If you know you know 😆 Ventured into the Northern part of Caelid and did a bunch of stuff there too. Fought an optional boss that rewarded me 65k and Drake Talisman + 2. Unlocked another one of the teleporters at the Four Belfries and 🤯🤯🤯. Also activated the lift in Northern Liurnia but will leave that area until I've wrapped up the other stuff. Fought another optional boss that has some of the most wildly unique attacks in the entire game, tough battle, very cool.

It's interesting to observe how many people in this thread want everything spelled out for them and are constantly Googling stuff, defeats the purpose of these kinds of games. Trust that the answers will come, often you will need something that isn't obtainable until much later or you didn't fully explore the region you're in for the missing piece of the puzzle. Also, if you're rushing through each region trying to get to the end you're literally missing 70% of the game, that isn't even an exaggeration lol. This world is stuffed to the gills with secrets and optional wonders to uncover, even after all these hours I continue to be astonished.

Father Milk's holy crusade continues, my Faith stronger than it's ever been. 🙏 Oh, one other thing. If you summon me to help you with a boss and don't give me the courtesy of a bow what's going to happen is I'm going to enter the boss room with you, lie down in the corner and gleefully observe you get wreck'd. These ADD kids need to learn some god damn respect lol.
I’m playing in offline mode only got online when the dude from the beginning told me to use that invade item so I did that for his quest and got right back off. All bosses solo no summons no co op… more fun to learn this way.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I’m playing in offline mode only got online when the dude from the beginning told me to use that invade item so I did that for his quest and got right back off. All bosses solo no summons no co op… more fun to learn this way.
You are definitely missing out on player messages, an essential part of the Souls experience, many are helpful and many will simply amuse you lol. You *cannot* be invaded while playing solo and playing co-op is completely optional so there is really no reason to not play online other than *not* seeing all the messages/bloodstains which I guess cleans up the screen, more immersive 👍

slade

Bloodhound Fang seems to have broken the early game for me. Combined it with my Uchigatana and an Ashes of War that allows me to slash and leap back at the same time. It's great for baiting and punishing an attack.

Spent the entire day mopping up most of the minor bosses I had left until I was stronger. Even took out a few new ones I encountered in the Weeping Peninsula. Then I took out Margit and made it through a fair chunk of Stormveil Castle without much trouble. Got a bunch of Smithing Stones that are going to make my Bloodhound Fang even stronger.

I hope I didn't mess up Roderika's quest because at first I bypassed the Castle and ended up going to the Roundtable. Met Roderika and talked to her there. Went back and went through the proper path and found the item that she initially wanted me to find.

If you do a really long shift at work and you're zonked out when you start up the game, it looks like there's a crack in the center right of the loading screen when you start the game

Relax, it's actually a bird

Saiyan-Rox

I've never had this much trouble in a souls game....man is the difficulty another level or is my build (spellsword) just shit? I barely beat the first main boss at level 25.

I've never had this much trouble in a souls game....man is the difficulty another level or is my build (spellsword) just shit? I barely beat the first main boss at level 25.
I struggled at the first main boss with my spell sword

Can take a while to unlock a lot of the great spells, especially for faith build

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Elden Ring. Elden Ring. Elden Ring.

TIMESTAMPS
Patches - 0:00
Patches & Radahn (Spoiler) - 1:10
Dark Souls chest - 1:40
Irina & Morne - 2:06
Blaidd's Armor (Spoiler) - 2:39
Selvius & Snape - 3:18
Leonine Misbegotten (Spoiler) - 4:10
D Hunter of the Dead - 4:50
Berserk references - 5:22
Malenia (Spoiler) - 6:10
Berserk references (cont.) - 6:26

Gordon Freeman

Gold Member
You are definitely missing out on player messages, an essential part of the Souls experience, many are helpful and many will simply amuse you lol. You *cannot* be invaded while playing solo and playing co-op is completely optional so there is really no reason to not play online other than *not* seeing all the messages/bloodstains which I guess cleans up the screen, more immersive 👍

Or if you are playing on PS5 where online mode has led to lost saves if you get disconnected because your internet goes out or your console shuts off etc.

Basically if you play online any wrong mistake causing the game to quit unexpectedly can cost you your save.

I’ll go online when I know things are fixed. They still have not issued a patch for that.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Playing on PS5 and graphics mode (cant remember the exact name) and loving it....i swear im not losing my mind but a few occasions when im in battle and locked on i swear i hit circle to dodge an attack and i just stand there and doesnt instantly roll like it should. Happened alot in my many attempts of marjit before i finally killed the fucker lol

Anyone else have this happen?

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Or if you are playing on PS5 where online mode has led to lost saves if you get disconnected because your internet goes out or your console shuts off etc.

Basically if you play online any wrong mistake causing the game to quit unexpectedly can cost you your save.

I’ll go online when I know things are fixed. They still have not issued a patch for that.

I'm on PS5, 92 hours clocked, zero issues, sorry to hear that 👍

SkylineRKR

Playing on PS5 and graphics mode (cant remember the exact name) and loving it....i swear im not losing my mind but a few occasions when im in battle and locked on i swear i hit circle to dodge an attack and i just stand there and doesnt instantly roll like it should. Happened alot in my many attempts of marjit before i finally killed the fucker lol

Anyone else have this happen?

A lot. There is some sort of cooldown, or its just plain input lag. But I do press the button. I also have issues with regular parries, timing is hard to pull off. Could be the inconsistent perf of PS5.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Kind of continuing off my last post:

because the game can be cheap sometimes I’ll never understand the people who say “using summons is easy mode” “leveling up is cheating” “using ashes of war is cheap” ect ect ect
The game uses all the bullshit it can muster against you, and I believe the expectation is that you should be using all your tools in turn against the computer.

Imo, if the game allows it then it’s all good. The idea that you have to SL1 the game in rags or you haven’t “earned it” is nonsense of the highest order. Any viable strategy that gets you the Win is all that matters. Different people approach the game differently and the game allows for that and even encourages it! There’s no right or wrong way to play. Do what’s fun. Enjoy yourself. People on social media be trying to police how others play so hard they might as well be cops in training.
Yet from continues to make these games faster and harder. Bosses have thousands of health, no stamina, no fp limit and usually 2 shot you or 1 shot you during stagger or getting up animation. They deal huge aoe attacks and swipes. They magnetise to you or even change direction of attack midair from spirit to you. They delay attacks and hold them for crazy amount of times too.

Spirit summons are integral part of the game. You are supposed to use them and level them.
Because of people who constantly say shit about game being too easy, we can hardly enjoy these games anymore. The last few bosses are so crazy. I did eventually beat them but they still felt cheap. Even with spirit

NinjaBoiX

I’m absolutely loving this game! The sense of adventure is fantastic. I have no idea what’s “going on”, as I find the story as tiresome as any other souls game, (seriously, just skipping dialogue once I’ve got the gist, bore off!) but I don’t care. It’s fun!

Couple of questions:

- how easily/early can you respec? Are there any downsides?

- in the meantime, how viable is the arcane stat? I always like my item discovery to be quite high

Keep up the good work in here guys!

The_hunter

I got a translation for the latin song that the harpies sing.

O that place, once blessed, but which now reduces! O, send us to [our] mothers. Now they have become foul. We mourn and weep, but no one consoles us. The golden thing, with which you shall be enraged.

Last edited:
Still having such a great time with this game. I've just been slowly making my way through it. I'm playing the game by clearing every zone before I move on, which has the added bonus of making you quite powerful by Souls game standards. Though I'm sure the game will catch up with me before too long.

I think what makes this game so great, is it's like Dark Souls 4, with all the improvements and additions you'd expect from a great sequel in terms of new features and gameplay, and then it successfully integrates the major new aspect of the open world. And the overall impact of the art direction and art design of the world and how it all comes together is just awe-inspiring. I won't hear a bad thing said about this game visually. I like the look of pretty much everything.

NinjaBoiX

So what are peoples thoughts on Arcane in this game? Useful stat or a waste of souls? I like me item discovery to be high!
After the second main boss, at raya lucaria. There's around 12 respecs in the game, but there is a way to get infinite, potentially.
Ah thanks, I just found that place.

I was thinking to respec to take advantage of more magic, plus I could use that magical katana instead of my uchi.

Boneless

on DF weekly video they talk about well one guy talks about how poor elden ring engine is and how dated it is compare to other games in genera. plus it runs so badly , worse on pc , some better on consoles. best on PS5 with Ps4 Pro version.
i dont see how someone can see this game as something special. i run it first 10 min and i saw all outdated things there ...its just is ... no matter is pc low or max settings.

Just accept you have poor taste and move on.

Drunkdadbr

Banned
killed Elemer of the Briar after 30 minutes of attempts and deleted the fuck out of the game. Done.
the guy did that stationary spiral thrust move and i swear for god: i rolled off it and then it just SKIP the GFX to where i landed to kill me. It was in point a, then teleported to point b just to aimbot me. I was laughing at how fucked up is the intended design for this to happen. slow ass character, 1-2 hit kills, terrible camera, fucked up hit detection, surprise ganking... not enough anymore. Release the input reading to give A.I. frame time counter moves against human beings and the aimbot to shot down these suckers who press a button when i don't want then to.

Guess im not ready to submit to the torture. Can't stand cheaters.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
So I went down a deep dark hole, beyond the depths of madness, got myself fingered and now the one eyed lady is upset with me.

what a turn of events.

Top Bottom