• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2016 |OT| San Marino: "I didn't know - anyone but Serhat :("

Status
Not open for further replies.

oipic

Just a little salty that Norway didn't make it through, and I'm irrationally holding Serbia responsible for that - not sure how that got through, but it's probably an indictment on the strength (or lack thereof) of this semi.

if australia wins they'll have to pick a european country to host, which is our only chance to host so.. please pick us?

There were rumours last year suggesting that if Australia had won that a deal had already been made to 'co-host' the event with Germany - haven't heard anything along these lines this year, however.

MrPanic

As far as I'm concerned they can give a single entry to every other continent as well, the more the merrier imo.

Though I heard Justin Timberlake is performing in the finals so we're getting at least some of America already.

Dee Dee

There were rumours last year suggesting that if Australia had won that a deal had already been made to 'co-host' the event with Germany - haven't heard anything along these lines this year, however.

That sounds weird to me, but in the end the UK has made it pretty clear that they have no intention of hosting this event whatsoever, judging from their entries. So I guess Germany has the budget and the needed motivation to somewhat be the next best choice then.

Edit:
Though I heard Justin Timberlake is performing in the finals so we're getting at least some of America already.

Not only that - he will showcase his theme song for the movie "Trolls - The Movie".
You can't make this shit up.

Tugatrix

I want Australia to win and Greece to host
and Germany to pay
that would be great. 😘

schauble.jpg

he might veto that

will watch when I get home tonight but thanks @Red for updating the OP, I'm very OK with the 2nd semi results.

happy georgia got through, sad about macedonia not making it for personal reasons, happy norway failed again because I refuse to forgive them after what they did to my girl Linnea Dale

I hope Jamala and Poli crushed it <3

MrPanic

So, any predictions on potential winners? I personally like Ukraine and Russia the most. I think Australia and swimsuit lady from Armenia got some good chances too. I liked Bulgaria's song a lot as well, but I think the live performance is a bit too weak to score high. I haven't seen or heard the songs from the big 5 and Sweden yet so maybe there's something there as well, but I've been enjoying actually hearing all these songs for the first time live so I'm avoiding looking them up for now.

It's also nice to see that the Netherlands and Belgium are both doing pretty great this year, expecting a nice douze points exchange right there. I still remember the horror period where we only send utter crap to the show, still have some Sieneke nighmares from that. Thankfully Anouk managed to break that streak for us, it's always nicer to follow the show when you got something to root for.

Not only that - he will showcase his theme song for the movie "Trolls - The Movie".
You can't make this shit up.

wow...

s_mirage

Wasn't blown away by anyone in this semi-final. I thought that Australia perhaps had the best singer, but the song was boring.

First off, I need to apologize to the Latvia fans - I heavily dislike the studio version of Justs' song, but the live performance was quite well done, so hats off to that one.

Anyway: I really hope Russia doesn't win, and while I like Ukraine's song a lot, I feel like it's too politically loaded. I don't know how I'd feel about Eurovision being hosted by either of these countries - Russia especially after its even harder crackdown on homosexuals and annexation of Crimea. And if Russia does win, I hope a lot of countries decide to skip that year in order to protest against Russia hosting, so the EBU is either forced to host it somewhere else, or there being only 2 countries in Russia that year (those 2 being Russia and Belarus).

Out of the auto-qualified finalists, Spain I like the most, and I think it's got very good chances to place well, same with Sweden, Italy and the UK (though not as well). Torn on France, though. It feels like it's a song that could go anywhere. Germany will get fucked again.

Australia taking the prize would be the best, imo. Dami Im displayed an absolutely stellar performance tonight, her song is really good, and she's got the voice and personality. Plus it wouldn't have any political undertones.

My secret winner will stay Bulgaria, even if it doesn't do well. Her live performance wasn't as convincing to me, but it still was very solid, and it's a great song. I also am very very happy about Georgia making it through to the finals. I never expected that song to get very far, and given the reaction of the Georgians when they were revealed as having passed, I suspect they were of the same opinion haha.

valeo

Dami is just genuinely likable - this is coming from someone who lives in Australia, hates all reality singing competitions and generally dislikes pop music.

Guy Sebastian is likable too; but a bit more of a 'polished pop star' type. Dami just seems like stumbled out of bed singing and has been made up/dressed up but doesn't really care about that.

Spyware

Dami is just genuinely likable - this is coming from someone who lives in Australia, hates all reality singing competitions and generally dislikes pop music.

Guy Sebastian is likable too; but a bit more of a 'polished pop star' type. Dami just seems like stumbled out of bed singing and has been made up/dressed up but doesn't really care about that.
She reminds me of Loreen. I really like her. Still not sold completely on the song but wouldn't mind her winning at all.

laoni

It's probably been covered already, but what would happen if Australia wins? Would the next ESC be hosted there?

No. The Eurovision rules stipulate that the Eurovision Song Contest must be held in Europe. Australia would have to partner with an EU broadcaster and host it in their country

valeo

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-13/knight-why-is-australia-ruining-eurovision/7411054

This article is kinda spot on. I especially liked this;

"We are in genuine danger of being like dinner party guests who bring along a dessert that's infinitely better than anything the host has prepared earlier."

Australia used to watch Eurovision as a way to see 'those crazy Europeans' dress up and create wonderfully mangled songs. Now they're doing it themselves and have gone from watching it ironically to absolutely watching it without any irony whatsoever.

I really liked Slovenia's entry, Blue and Red.

The motif of the man holding onto the spinning pole really sold it to me. Such an interesting way to depict Blue shift and Red shift and yet they managed to pull it off in such a way that it didn't scream pretentious.

We need more men on spinning poles.

Just caught up, glad Bulgaria/Ukraine/Latvia went through and most of you liked them <3

-Denmark's song is honestly insulting to everyone that had to listen to it, holy shit. It was like the 2nd worst song at Dansk Melodi Grand Prix and that contest was bad this year, it's even worse now. Goddamn I hate that song and everyone involved in creating it.

-how does G:son do it? Cyprus, Georgia???? I mean I liked Georgia's kinda but how???

-Laura Tesoro gets huge props for doing that entire dance routine AND singing live, wow. I still think the song is the bad side of corny and the plagiarism is a bit too much even for Eurovision, but damn that girl has stamina, that shit isn't easy.

-I feel like if Poli had a better stage show she could have been a potential consensus winner a la Azerbaijan in 2011. Nobody seems to hate the actual song and her vocals are actually quite good when she isn't doing the chicken dance.

-I still don't really like the Australian song but jesus, Dami Im is a professional.

-I see why the press went nuts for Jamala, her performance was intense and her vocals were really good imo

Anyway: I really hope Russia doesn't win, and while I like Ukraine's song a lot, I feel like it's too politically loaded. I don't know how I'd feel about Eurovision being hosted by either of these countries - Russia especially after its even harder crackdown on homosexuals and annexation of Crimea. And if Russia does win, I hope a lot of countries decide to skip that year in order to protest against Russia hosting, so the EBU is either forced to host it somewhere else, or there being only 2 countries in Russia that year (those 2 being Russia and Belarus).

I agree that it's a bit loaded, but political songs (or songs with a political message, even obliquely) have won or done well before, like "Insieme: 1992" or "Ein bißchen Frieden" or like 4-5 songs every year in the finals. Last year Armenia, Hungary, Romania to an extent had somewhat political entries. Ukraine's would certainly be the darkest winner ever, for sure, but it would be a deserving one imo.

Russia wouldn't be boycotted. Like Azerbaijan, which also treats gays like shit, it's in Russia's interest to hold a big gay festival and have it go off without any issues. It may sound crass but anti-gay legislation isn't enough to stop any country from participating, just like Conchita winning wasn't enough to have several of the countries boycott last year's contest. Besides, Sergey is a good dude and doesn't deserve to have his win disgraced like that, if he wins.

No. The Eurovision rules stipulate that the Eurovision Song Contest must be held in Europe. Australia would have to partner with an EU broadcaster and host it in their country

Eurovision can be held anywhere; it was held in Jerusalem twice. Australia would have to be joint-hosted in a European country mostly for logistical reasons.

laoni

Finally getting a chance to watch Semis 2. That opening was AMAZING.

Really surprised they didn't save that for the finals.

edit: christ Switzerland is terrible.

edit 2: OMG Belarus opening

edit 3: can Mans and Petra host every Eurovision?

oti

Banned
Easily the worst performance of 2016, closely followed by Finland and Greece

Greece had soul, man. And if it wasn't for the chorus and the rap and the staging and the everything besides the intro it would have been good.

Scipio

This thing always makes me unexplicably patriotic for Belgium. And I really didn't like Laura Tesoro's song when I heard it first. It's a generic pop tune with an incredibly boring text.

It still is, but man, some of the others were that shit, that I actually believe in its chances.

How to win Eurovision 101: copycat a current popular artist (Avicii, Imagine Dragons, Coldplay, Lorde etc.) and have a cool background video/performance and be attractive.

I agree that it's a bit loaded, but political songs (or songs with a political message, even obliquely) have won or done well before, like "Insieme: 1992" or "Ein bißchen Frieden" or like 4-5 songs every year in the finals. Last year Armenia, Hungary, Romania to an extent had somewhat political entries. Ukraine's would certainly be the darkest winner ever, for sure, but it would be a deserving one imo.

I don't mind political songs, but Insieme, Ein Bisschen Frieden, etc. those songs all, while reflecting current political events, aren't provocative. They're about unity, about friendship and freedom. In a similar vein, I would have been uneasy with Bosnia winning the competitions in 93 and 94, even though their songs were very heartfelt and I definitely support the message they sent, just like Ukraine's this year. It's not as blatant as the one entry Georgia got disqualified for with "I don't wanna put in" and whatnot, but it's still not that far from making a commentary about the current situation in Crimea.

Russia wouldn't be boycotted. Like Azerbaijan, which also treats gays like shit, it's in Russia's interest to hold a big gay festival and have it go off without any issues. It may sound crass but anti-gay legislation isn't enough to stop any country from participating, just like Conchita winning wasn't enough to have several of the countries boycott last year's contest. Besides, Sergey is a good dude and doesn't deserve to have his win disgraced like that, if he wins.

When Russia hosted in 2009, they still cracked down on homosexuals and arrested many people. They sorta tolerated gays from outside Russia in the Eurovision orbit, but the anti-gay laws have been heavily armed up since 2009. If Russia hosts, you can expect the EBU being forced to ban all rainbow flags and any other sort of imagery that could be interpreted as "gay propaganda".
With the 2013 crackdown on such, Russia is even worse than Azerbaijan in that regard. And note that even though Russia partook in 2015 still, there were massive protests from the Orthodox church and the public about Conchita Wurst, her victory and Russia's broadcasting and participation in Eurovision. It wasn't without fallout.

oti

Banned
She is attractive iirc :p

Austria was the lovely-dovey pink cotton candy stuff right?

I'm talking about Austria 2014, they won.

Who I could see winning this contest:

- Russia (worst winner IMO, not that interesting but serviceable)
- Ukraine (best winner)
- Australia (coolest winner)
- Spain (I always felt it was better suited than France for the win)
- Armenia (hypest winner)

Who I could see winning this contest:

- Russia (worst winner IMO, not that interesting but serviceable)
- Ukraine (best winner)
- Australia (coolest winner)
- Spain (I always felt it was better suited than France for the win)
- Armenia (hypest winner)

you think spain has a shot?

I agree with the thread's sentiments re: france, I never really liked the song and dude is super likable but the performance is super meh

armenia would be a great winner, ESC in yerevan would be some amazing stuff
even if it means no azeri bop next year :(

I'd just prefer ESC to move back east after being in central/western Europe for 6 of the last 7 contests. I want Portugal back though :(

obin_gam

Also because no one in Europe would be able to watch the competition if it's held at ozzie times.

In case anyone is wondering, Russia found a way to spin Ukraine song into something totally unrelated. The commentator said that the song is "another prayer for people who willingly or unwillingly left home for search of better life".

For those who are wondering this wasn't exactly how it happened. About 230 thousand of Crimean Tatars were forcefully deported from Crimea and up to 100,000 of them died in years following. Even Soviet Union denounced this deportation, but these days Russian government is trying to rewrite history.

Wikipedia: Deportation of the Crimean Tatars

oti

Banned
you think spain has a shot?

I agree with the thread's sentiments re: france, I never really liked the song and dude is super likable but the performance is super meh

armenia would be a great winner, ESC in yerevan would be some amazing stuff
even if it means no azeri bop next year :(

I'd just prefer ESC to move back east after being in central/western Europe for 6 of the last 7 contests. I want Portugal back though :(

I totally thought it had a shot tbh. And then I saw the odds lol. I'm certainly perplexed that it's way lower than France and that France is one of the favourites.

Love how Australia is now #2 right after Russia according to the bookies. As brain dead as the lyrics are, boy can she sing.

As I've said, my favourite is Ukraine and I would love to see it win. It's my favourite song this year.

Also because no one in Europe would be able to watch the competition if it's held at ozzie times.

Actually the EBU doesn't care about that. No matter where the contest is held, it has to start at 9 PM CET. Even when it was held in Baku it started at that time. I think it was like 3 AM over there.

GERMANY-CHAN IS SO K-POP KAWAII DESU NE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPQ3qEqNtGM

Looking at the official YT channel views, it really does seem to be a battle between Russia and Ukraine this year. Well, I'm sure the commentators on both of those videos talk about more than just the performance, but that's a given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom