• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 - The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year - July 17-19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

What's happening in that second smash gif?

Captain Falcon down airs (L-canceling it, mind you as well) Fox which causes Fox to bounce up from the ground (when you do a meteor on someone while they're on-stage, they go upwards). The Fox DIs it pretty terribly, which sets up for Falcon to do a knee on Fox. After the knee, Falcon runs forward and jumps -- in Melee, jumps carry momentum from the run which causes you to go even further than if you didn't run before a jump -- since Falcon is so fast his momentum carries his jump far enough to reach Fox in the blastzone as he's performing a Falcon Punch.

Anth0ny

• E6AyJsh.gif

• the thing that's so great about this gif is not the up throw up air

it's the fucking perfect dash dancing by fox in and out of peach's range. armada is not a player that just throws out moves for shits. he intends to hit, and he does hit 99% of the time. that's why he's ranked #2 in the world.

but the above gif just shows why mango is ranked #1. god damn perfect movement.

the thing that's so great about this gif is not the up throw up air

it's the fucking perfect dash dancing by fox in and out of peach's range. armada is not a player that just throws out moves for shits. he intends to hit, and he does hit 99% of the time. that's why he's ranked #2 in the world.

Nah the thing that's great about that .gif is that mango has "USA"

What you said it just a side bonus.

Azure J

the thing that's so great about this gif is not the up throw up air

(Good) Dash dancing is seriously the single most hype thing in Melee for me. Not even lying. :lol

It's not, people who say it's bad are being very hyperbolic. There's no reason to not give it a chance.

There's a few different people who could take Melee but right now Leffen is the favorite going in because he's won the last three American majors of the summer so far and has looked the most consistent. Then there's an uncertain player, PPMD, who hasn't gone to anything since he won Apex at the beginning of the year. Either of those two are the favorite depending on you talk to with Mang0, Armada, Hbox, and others closely behind them. It's a very player-focused competitive game in the sense that if you follow the players and know the stories, the game becomes that much more intense and exciting to watch. It also helps that the gameplay, for the most part, is fast-paced (with some exceptions).

In regards to Smash 4, it's too early to say if it's "more balanced" but balance isn't even the reason people scoff at either game. However, Smash 4 for EVO will have customs on so it's going to be wacky to watch and likely look a bit janky compared to customs off. I would still watch it anyway since it's the largest tournament for it so far that has customs on in a time where people could be withholding custom technology (as in, stuff people aren't aware of that works that could bring about advantages in matches and such) similarly to how Marvel players hid stuff until EVO a few years back.

Thanks for this. Mango Hitbox etc all local players? A lot of international players are coming to EVO. I wonder if they will surprise people.

Dahbomb

FChamp's competition?

He can lose against Clockwork, Cloud, Flux, RayRay, Full Schedule, Apologyman along with the other two gods.

This EVO is not free for anyone. The gods have an advantage mostly because A) they are the best and most skilled players and B) they have the most experience at this stage. FChamp and JWong have made top 8 4 times at EVO, ChrisG has made it 3 times. That's a huge mental advantage going in. Other than that anyone can lose.

Revven

Thanks for this. Mango Hitbox etc all local players? A lot of international players are coming to EVO. I wonder if they will surprise people.

Mang0, Hungrybox, and PPMD are Americans.
Leffen and Armada are from Sweden.

There's also a Japanese player named aMSa who mains Yoshi and placed top 8 at Apex in January and he's also going to be at EVO.

BadWolf

Is there a list of players somewhere?

72 players had signed up as of the end of June.

Confirmed players are Ren (Taiwan), Oogosho (Japan), Reynald, Juicebox etc.

There is a good chance Xiaohai and Tokido will enter. Expecting Misterio, Luis Cha and various SoCal players to show up as well.

Bala said that he will try to make it, his buddy Answer is supposed to be coming and doing commentary with Juicebox.

Should be a very solid tournament overall.

There will also be a big KOF tournament in Japan this weekend with a whole bunch of top players:

http://www.orochinagi.com/2015/07/duelling-the-kof-revamp-this-weekend

FChamp's competition?

He can lose against Clockwork, Cloud, Flux, RayRay, Full Schedule, Apologyman along with the other two gods.

This EVO is not free for anyone. The gods have an advantage mostly because A) they are the best and most skilled players and B) they have the most experience at this stage. FChamp and JWong have made top 8 4 times at EVO, ChrisG has made it 3 times. That's a huge mental advantage going in. Other than that anyone can lose.

I'm going to pretend you're joking on the Ray Ray one.

Flux, Cloud good, but I still think they are too inconsistent or any Zero for that matter (yea yea I know Flocker won)....Apologyman I see the same problem inconsistent. And Cl0ckw0rk... our hero... I mean the 9th place god. He's the 9th place god for a reason. I don't know I find Marvel boring this year.

I'm far more interesting in SF this year. Luffy winning was ... "what?" last year. I don't think anyone expected that. I haven't been really paying close attention but it seems that Kaz is the favorite right? But with all these international guy any guy can win on any day. Europe also have 2-3 guys that maybe a dark horse like Luffy last year. I think America has no one..... no one at all except for PR Balrog.

SF top 128 is going to a cluster fuck of awesomeness. Marvel is going to be ZzZzZzz just give me the gods.

Dai101

Banned
Do any of the more popular Killer Instinct fighters main Hisako??

There was one in Top 16 at CEO but got eliminated. Don't remember the name of the player tho'.

This was the Top 8 just in case:

1. UA|Bass (Spinal)
2. Paul B (Sabrewulf)
3. KIT|Grief (Sadira, Jago)
4. The One & Only (Kan-Ra)
5. YOMI|JagoBlake (Shadow Jago, Jago)
5. RM|ShinTristan (Thunder)
7. HitBox|Tyrant (Spinal)
7. Sleep NS (Kan-Ra)

There is a good chance Xiaohai and Tokido will enter. Expecting Misterio, Luis Cha and various SoCal players to show up as well.

Bala said that he will try to make it, his buddy Answer is supposed to be coming and doing commentary with Juicebox.

There will also be a big KOF tournament in Japan this weekend with a whole bunch of top players:

thanks for all the info. I haven't watched KoF, or fighting games in general in a while.

I don't think I'm ready for a Bala vs. Reynald set. How long has it been? This time around though it's looking like everyone will be after Misterio's head.

ironmang

Hoping to hear some Juicebox top 8 commentary if he doesn't make it at least.

Producer

Sounds good, i hope Tokido enters and Bala makes it, but it be solid nonetheless. What happened to the CafeId crew? Havent heard about them for a while now.

Haunted

What's the schedule for the final day? Marvel into SFIV to close out the day I assume? What's the #3 game that leads into the big two?

edit: saw the schedule in the OP, Melee. Makes sense with the turnout. I'm also interested in Guilty Gear, I haven't seen that played at the highest level yet, should be fun to watch.

Dahbomb

I'm going to pretend you're joking on the Ray Ray one.

Flux, Cloud good, but I still think they are too inconsistent or any Zero for that matter (yea yea I know Flocker won)....Apologyman I see the same problem inconsistent. And Cl0ckw0rk... our hero... I mean the 9th place god. He's the 9th place god for a reason. I don't know I find Marvel boring this year.
You obviously have missed some Marvel this year. Zero players have become far more consistent now and they have taken some majors. All those Zero players can definitely win over FChamp. Apologyman is basically playing a Zero type team, if he gets the hit he will just snowball over you and win. Last year's Apologyman vs FChamp match was 3-2 went down to time out with pixels level of health differentiating the two.

RayRay has gotten a lot better as well and was going toe to toe against FChamp just recently.

I am not saying they WILL win.. I am saying they COULD win over FChamp. The chance of them winning this year over FChamp is greater than it was last year or the year before that. Those 2nd tier players have gotten a lot better now.

FChamp's main disadvantage going into this year's EVO is that he hasn't been attending many tournaments this year. Like he did well in the tournaments that he did enter but I am getting the feeling that he might be missing tournament form. Sure he's godlike at his home sitting in FGTV talking smack against CJ Showstopper but quite a few players have been grinding it out in heavy competition all year long that could put down FChamp.

You obviously have missed some Marvel this year. Zero players have become far more consistent now and they have taken some majors. All those Zero players can definitely win over FChamp. Apologyman is basically playing a Zero type team, if he gets the hit he will just snowball over you and win. Last year's Apologyman vs FChamp match was 3-2 went down to time out with pixels level of health differentiating the two.

RayRay has gotten a lot better as well and was going toe to toe against FChamp just recently.

I am not saying they WILL win.. I am saying they COULD win over FChamp. The chance of them winning this year over FChamp is greater than it was last year or the year before that. Those 2nd tier players have gotten a lot better now.

FChamp's main disadvantage going into this year's EVO is that he hasn't attending many tournaments this year. Like he did well in the tournaments that he did enter but I am getting the feeling that he might be missing tournament form. Sure he's godlike at his home sitting in FGTV talking smack against CJ Showstopper but quite a few players have been grinding it out in heavy competition all year long that could put down FChamp.

I really have but still look at the eventhubs results (and shock by how well Flux has been doing, but still #FluxSuck).

Yea Marvel the type of game anyone can win I get that. One touch = TOD on him + next two, but I think when it comes to EVO and the bright lights. The gods will remain gods, and the greats will turn into mere mortals. Every year we get hype on blah blah blah and in the end... it's the same 3 guys up there.

I'm curious as to how MKX is going to turn out too, but A) I don't even play that game and B) they keep patching shit so I have no clue who/what is even good anymore.

Dahbomb

I really have but still look at the eventhubs results (and shock by how well Flux has been doing, but still #FluxSuck).
I don't know what results you are seeing, if anything the Eventhubs (and SRK) supports what I am saying. FChamp has been less prevalent in top 8s than someone like Flux or even Cloud. If you look at points data as well then you will see that players like RayRay/Clockwork/Flux/Cloud have closed the gap more so.

The top 3 are the top 3, that's the whole point of being in top 3. I am just saying that compared to last year the gap is smaller between top 3 and the next batch of players. Yeah it's not as crazy as USF4 where guessing top 8 is basically like picking lots out of a raffle of 64 top players but there will be some crazy stuff that will go down in Marvel as well.

Here's a question: What players claim to be bringing secret new tech to Evo? FChamp and Full Schedule are the two I can think of offhand. And I guess Justin still supposedly has some secret Wolverine mixup he hasn't used.

Edit: I know Angelic has been developing Vergil/Shuma and Morrigan/Shuma tech but I don't know if he's held any of it back.

mbpm1

Here's a question: What players claim to be bringing secret new tech to Evo? FChamp and Full Schedule are the two I can think of offhand. And I guess Justin still supposedly has some secret Wolverine mixup he hasn't used.

According to fgcdrmike Xian has been hiding himself and training all year.

Dahbomb

Most players already showed their "secret" stuff already.

Justin had some new Wolverine mix ups plus he had the Nova counter pick. He already showed those Wolverine mix ups on the FGTV stream and he has already shown off his Nova counter pick a bunch of times. Though he has been playing mostly off stream with FChamp for the "real" practice.

Cloud was saving point Dante against ChrisG's Morrigan. It sort of makes sense but without a good assist for Dante it's not a good strategy IMO. It was one of those things that might take him by surprise but he already showed his hand.

KBR had has that Wolverine pocket team which he has also shown off before EVO.

Full Schedule is a bit iffy because from what I can tell, his buttons are technically legal at EVO but I doubt he would be using them all that much for EVO. I also think that Full Schedule has showcased most of his tech already especially at CEO.

RayRay has also shown his tech mostly his mid screen mix ups with Magneto along with Zero/Doom/Dante counter pick.

I doubt there's going to be any secret tech or strat that gets pulled out at EVO this year but I was wrong last year and Justin pulled out the point Storm to win EVO so who knows. If anything Justin has been MORE secretive this year than last year.

pixelish

hype level for marvel has increased tenfold

やさしいかんがい| ほんぞ ゴンゾ ‏@honzogonzo 1h1 hour ago
Oh wow looks like kusoru is confirmed for coming? Talking to a jp cat I know and he said he entered under a troll name :0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom