• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 2.0: The Return of the Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
For a few seconds I thought "ling in the tooth" was an idiom I hadn't heard before.

Linius

I'm very content with my laptop at the moment. MSI GE40.

i7 4702MQ
GTX760M
8GB Ram
1920×1090 Full HD

Ordered my Watch Dogs key yesterday. I'm on board the hype train again.

Linius

Haha, was kind of expecting that.

And god, I dunno. I can probably go up to about £700 maybe? I've got a bit more than that saved up but don't really want to blow it all at once. Feel free to try to convince me though >_>

You should be able to build a great desktop with that money. My laptop was about 822 pounds and with desktops you get better parts for lower prices.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Ordered my Watch Dogs key yesterday. I'm on board the hype train again.

I didn't play San Andreas, GTA IV, GTA V, or RDR, I think it's too late for me to get on board any third-person open-world game at this point.

Linius

I didn't play San Andreas, GTA IV, GTA V, or RDR, I think it's too late for me to get on board any third-person open-world game at this point.

I played RDR and GTA V and loved both. Think I put about 40 hours into both (SP). And about 40 more hours into the MP for GTA V because I had a bunch of people to play with. Alone it would have been pretty boring. I just love open world games, exploring and stuff. And I don't mind repetitive game design :p

I finally started Arkham Origins today. More open world!

Guess I'll see how much I make over the summer then.

Where you at?

Haha, was kind of expecting that.

And god, I dunno. I can probably go up to about £700 maybe? I've got a bit more than that saved up but don't really want to blow it all at once. Feel free to try to convince me though >_>

I'm not familiar with uk prices but I just did some cursory searching and 800 might be a more optimal budget. I'll work out a ~700 build in the meantime tho. I'll run by da pc thread

Acid08

Banned
I'm playing Gravity Rush right now, that's open world. Pretty fun game though the camera and gravity stuff can be pretty disorienting. Lovely style though.

Linius

Ubi is on a roll this year. First South Park, which they bought okay. But then Trials Fusion which is awesome. And I'm hyped for Child of Light and Watch Dogs. Granted I'm a sucker for their games so I'm also looking forward to the new AC game in Paris, The Division and Far Cry 4 next year. Still need to get Rayman Legends though.

Where you at?

Michigan. I'll be making food and stuffs for a small cafe. Not sure how much I'll be getting paid though, so we'll see. The cool thing is the college here has a computer grant that I can get as well, so that'll help.

Unless you meant something else with your question.

P.S. I made this to help commemorate the Microsoft Excavation.

ukiiyfK.gif

USA prices! Nice

Yeah. My current rig was built for somewhere between 1500-1800 and has lasted for around five years now. You mentioned something being from 2010. I haven't had any issues gaming wise until Dark Souls II. I've bee thinking about just upgrading my parts over just building from scratch though. Not quite sure what to do just yet.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I just love open world games, exploring and stuff. And I don't mind repetitive game design :p

I finally started Arkham Origins today. More open world!

The most flattering thing I can say about Arkham Asylum is that it was competently done and I was never bored, but I don't get out of bed for anything less than "I fucking love this game".

And man, if you want open-world endlessness-ness, Fallout 3. I picked that game up on a whim and loved it. I used to be so much more venturous when it came to games.

You will want to change mobo, ram, cpu and vid card. Hdd, psu, case and os might be reusable, but dat new pc shiny factor...

You will *really* feel the squeeze on current-gen-only games this year and beyond with that setup. You will meet min recs but not too much beyond.

Linius

The most flattering thing I can say about Arkham Asylum is that it was competently done and I was never bored, but I don't get out of bed for anything less than "I fucking love this game".

And man, if you want open-world endlessness-ness, Fallout 3. I picked that game up on a whim and loved it. I used to be so much more venturous when it came to games.

I have New Vegas but I never finished it :p

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I have New Vegas but I never finished it :p

I lost hope in the game after I realised the game's ending is determinate on a stupid decision tree and I hated all the factions and didn't care whether any of them succeeded.

I'm playing Gravity Rush right now, that's open world. Pretty fun game though the camera and gravity stuff can be pretty disorienting. Lovely style though.

I enjoyed that game a lot. I can't wait until the sequel comes out, hopefully they will announce something at E3 this year.

Linius

I'm terrible at finishing games. During the entire life span of the 360 I probably have finished about 15 games :p

Attention Rob:

This build seems ok, it was thrown up by someone in New PC GAF:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3z8WO

If you intend to wait for more than a month or two, I would recommend adding an extra 50-100 pounds onto your budget and getting an entry level card from the upcoming 800 series (or perhaps a better 700/AMD equivalent card if their prices drop in response) as well as 16gb RAM instead of 8.

Linius

Attention Rob:

If you intend to wait for more than a month or two, I would recommend adding an extra 50-100 pounds onto your budget and getting an entry level card from the upcoming 800 series (or perhaps a better 700/AMD equivalent card if their prices drop in response) as well as 16gb RAM instead of 8.

No SSD? Seems worth the investment to get an SSD if you get a new build anyways.

SSDs are awesome but not strictly essential and you can always add one on six months down the road. You can't really just upgrade your CPU 6 months later, or at least not without the hassle of flipping it to someone else / trying to find a buyer.

Linius

Yeah, that's true. If you're on a tight budget it's better to save an SSD purchase for later. Pretty much the same with adding RAM, those are easy fixes.

Attention Rob:

Oh awesome, thanks. I'm probably gonna get it all just before I go to Belgium next week so it's here when I get back. I also might just get the extra RAM anyway since why not.

Thanks a lot dood! :D

Oh awesome, thanks. I'm probably gonna get it all just before I go to Belgium next week so it's here when I get back. I also might just get the extra RAM anyway since why not.

Thanks a lot dood! :D

Make sure you enter the PC thread and ask others to TRIPPLE CHECK that your parts work together. The only concern I might have is PSU, I think you'll be ok but I'd ask around before buying it.

Attention Rob:

Getting a 4770K instead of a 4670K at that budget is not worth it, better to upgrade the GPU or put a SSD in.

EDIT: Also get Dual-Channel memory.

EDIT2: Aaaaand I saw your post there, Maxwell cards are rumored for June, not sure if it is worth waiting. Also you'd have to shell out more money for one of those.

Getting a 4770K instead of a 4670K at that budget is not worth it, better to upgrade the GPU or put a SSD in.

Maybe maybe not - watchdogs reqs have people a bit spooked that games are going to start needing 8 threads in the not too distant future. As for maxwell, if it's comings soon he'll be able to get a better pre-maxwell card because of price drops and people selling their second hand cards.

Ah, CK2 is the best game in the history of forever.

Adam rules for getting me into it.

ohhh yeah

Maybe maybe not - watchdogs reqs have people a bit spooked that games are going to start needing 8 threads in the not too distant future. As for maxwell, if it's comings soon he'll be able to get a better pre-maxwell card because of price drops and people selling their second hand cards.

ohhh yeah

Probably not, we now got a very few titles that have higher framerates on the 4770K (BF4, BF3 are the only ones I know of). Basing that choice on the unproven system requirements of a company with some questionable PC ports would be bad. Besides that, with all the talk about reducing CPU overhead, I rather take my chances on that. A better GPU will make all your games better, a SSD the entire user experience, a hyper-threaded CPU might have some benefits at some titles some time in the future. Of course the other parts are easier to upgrade, but it just seems like wasted money at that budget.

Waiting for Maxwell can't hurt.

EDIT: The new one posted is much better. Keep in mind there is no optical drive there though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=109669054&postcount=13943

I'm not sure if you get more used to it or what but it's much less disorienting as you get further in the game. By the time I beat the game and went to replay missions; it felt like second nature. But yeah, definitely feels disorienting when you first play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom