• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm in a relationship. With myself

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
In case there was any doubt im the best baby sitter, my niece and I are making music in Mario paint.

mnxXeDGh.jpg

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yeah, I feel kinda rejected by these guys, gotta say. Of course they're gonna pair the two gay dudes. BECAUSE THAT'S EASY.
Don't get me wrong I'm okay with you and I would do plenty of things with you (And other gaffers ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) but the pairing just comes off lazy and just pairing us cause we wanted to be paired with someone in the thread and we're both gay.

Jobbs

Banned
Let me know when the bukkake party is over.

yeah really

My girlfriend is getting off shift early. then it's deadpool and maybe I'll make her watch me play UC4 if it EVER FINISHES PATCHING.

then maybe a two way if I prove too irresistible

this pairing thing is like we're prepping for a gay Noah's ark.

this would be the shittiest noah's ark ever, given its purpose. I'll have to work overtime

In case there was any doubt im the best baby sitter, my niece and I are making music in Mario paint.

oh man looks like fun. I spent so many hours in the mario paint music thing when I was a kid.

Vazra

yeah really

My girlfriend is getting off shift early. then it's deadpool and maybe I'll make her watch me play UC4 if it EVER FINISHES PATCHING.

Why not go at it while UC4?

jb1234

... really? I thought you were gay for some reason...

Don't get me wrong I'm okay with you and I would do plenty of things with you (And other gaffers ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) but the pairing just comes off lazy and just pairing us cause we wanted to be paired with someone in the thread and we're both gay.

Yup. I think we should just go off and pout.

OK you get Granadier and Vazra gets Seath, Symphonia and Silphonica.

I have no idea what Granadier looks like! :p

THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR BEING WHINEBOYS

The gay part hadn't even crossed my mind to be fair

FloatOn

:; waits patiently for pop defense force to respond to my well articulated rant about why pop culture is poisoning the minds of youths everywhere ::

Jobbs

Banned
You kind of look like this guy tbh

I don't see it but I'll allow it. Maybe his mutant brother. :)

There are cutscenes longer than 60 seconds tho and there are things HN can do while you play to not ruin the field of view if you catch my drift. No need to thank your sex guru.
bts_lina.gif

I plan on giving her the biz, but I don't mix biz and games. One or the other!

I think she said she's getting off at 10 (in one hour), which hopefully means she won't be as tired as usual.

*Distant "I just wanted directio-...."*

oh God I'm the last person anyone should be asking for directions. I get lost pretty easily and am not very good at reading road maps, so Siri basically saved my life.

I said evil specifically for a few reasons.

For one thing the companies that make games like uncharted and tomb raider have large budgets specifically for targeting people that are wowed by flashy graphics. This is manipulative.

Second, the average gamer has a limited budget and so when they are tricked into paying $60 or more for a game that only entertains via their graphics or narrative they are robbed of other experiences that they could be having that actually engage them in a substantial way.

Third, this also hurts the independent developer because funds are being dropped into the hands of companies that pump out sequels to games that only have reason to exist for such weak reasons as "story". People want to see what happens to Drake or Lara next because of what stories they think they are going to be spoonfed and not how these games actually innovate within their genre.

It's a very similar problem to those people that only listen to pop music or go to the theater for summer blockbusters. While there is nothing inherently wrong with that a person that limits themselves to just those experiences are missing a whole fucking universe of goodness they could be having.

Wow, I agree with almost none of this. If people wanted indie media they could get it, and people who do want that do get it. If people are content with mainstream media then there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I love summer blockbusters. I love AAA games. Most people do too. That's the reason popular things are popular, because people like them. That's what popular means. Your viewpoint is overly cynical and selfish.

Furthermore, innovation for the sake of innovation should not be praised inherently. Most innovation is bad. Most good innovation eventually gets picked up into the mainstream.

yeah really

Just curious, have you considered offering her a turn to play? I don't know what her gaming acumen is but I always have fun sharing a game with my partner.

AcridMeat

Banned
People aren't idiots if they're concerned with how they spend their time and money. They will seek out the resources to discern whether they want to consume said content.

Especially with modern gaming.

That's why I don't see many movies anymore. I know my tastes and most don't match up.

Music is slightly different because there are so many different factors that go into making music, and so many different sounds. You can say you dislike something up until you hear one song from that same thing you dislike and all of a sudden you're opened up to an expanded viewpoint. Frankly that can happen with anything but I find it happens much more frequently with music.

Jobbs

Banned
Just curious, have you considered offering her a turn to play? I don't know what her gaming acumen is but I always have fun sharing a game with my partner.

Of course. I'm not a ball hog. Generally she prefers to watch.

I made her play a little Dark Souls 3. She took a crack at Aldrich (which is a difficult boss pretty late in the game). Was cute.

People aren't idiots if they're concerned with how they spend their time and money. They will seek out the resources to discern whether they want to consume said content.

Especially with modern gaming. That's why I don't see many movies anymore. I know my tastes and most don't match up.

Music is slightly different because there are so many different factors that go into making music, and so many different sounds. You can say you dislike something up until you hear one song from that same thing you dislike and all of a sudden you're opened up to an expanded viewpoint. Frankly that can happen with anything but I find it happens much more frequently with music.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND PEOPLE WHO DON'T DO THIS

Like there are people in MCU threads who say that they're like 90% mediocre to shit, but still see all of them. Like...why?

If I don't like something, or don't think I'll like something, I'll bail on it. It's a waste of time to do anything else and it just makes people unbearably bitter about the thing

AcridMeat

Banned
I DON'T UNDERSTAND PEOPLE WHO DON'T DO THIS

Like there are people in MCU threads who say that they're like 90% mediocre to shit, but still see all of them. Like...why?
Same reason why people stick with TV series. They're invested and have to see it through no matter how bad it gets.

I made that mistake with Dollhouse, that shit was fuck awful by the end.

Xiao Hu

::wakes up and sees all the gay pairing shit going around here::
::decides not to go university today because he feels like shit::

I can confirm alcohol does it. I can't get it up while drunk to save my life.

Thankfully the effect goes away.

Complete opposite of me. I get easily horny while under the influence of alcohol, and that usually means a painfully hard erection.

________

I might have told the Japanese girl that I'm bi. (she send me a picture of her boyfriend and I said I would totally seduce him. Then jokingly called gay but I corrected her that I'm actually bi) And she's like the third person I have ever told that.... I mean I don't give a fuck if it spreads around the campus but she hasn't texted me back since yesterday night...

Vazra

Who gives a shit if a game innovates or not? I only care if it's enjoyable or not.

Overall what matters is if you enjoy the game or not. It can be a cinematic game, it can be a fighters, a visual novel or what some would call a spreadsheet game and as long as someone has fun with it that is what should matter. Afterall there are different markets for people out there and people will buy what they feel like playing in the end. The people feeling threatened that X thing would stop existing because X thing is a trend is a bit silly cause overall there is variety of games to play with.

As for the alcohol and not being able to get it up I actually function fine but the morning after I am extremely horny. TMI WARNING
The last time I got drunk I fapped 6 times in the day. R.I.P

FloatOn

Wow, I agree with almost none of this. If people wanted indie media they could get it, and people who do want that do get it. If people are content with mainstream media then there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I love summer blockbusters. I love AAA games. Most people do too. That's the reason popular things are popular, because people like them. That's what popular means. Your viewpoint is overly cynical and selfish.

Furthermore, innovation for the sake of innovation should not be praised inherently. Most innovation is bad. Most good innovation eventually gets picked up into the mainstream.

Look, people are free to like what they like. And I'm not asking you to be a conspiracy theorist here but you should really take a moment to understand how manipulative marketing is within mainstream media.

It's not that I don't partake in pop culture. You may be surprised to know the majority of the time when I'm on my commute I'm listening to top 40. I can appreciate extremely shallow stuff for fun too. I'm capable of that.

The problem comes in when people are duped into only partaking in mainstream media. Because as I said, people are missing out on so much by doing that.

Diversity is the spice of life and all that.

I just think that the companies that make the uncharted, tomb raider and call of duty games would love nothing more than for people to only buy those games. And I think there are quite a few people that fall into that trap and ignore worthwhile games like kerbal space program, prison architect, stardew valley and so many others that are more deserving of a persons attention

SystemBug

too say uncharted doesn't innovate is pretty weird. it does so in the tech and art side a lot

I just think that the companies that make the uncharted, tomb raider and call of duty games would love nothing more than for people to only buy those games. And I think there are quite a few people that fall into that trap and ignore worthwhile games like kerbal space program, prison architect, stardew valley and so many others that are more deserving of a persons attention

you pretty much just listed the most popular indies which made like a shitton of money

AcridMeat

Banned
So, I get your pie in the sky viewpoint, but games are a business. Apart from the headstrong indies who are also head in the sand about their beliefs, everyone would love it if everybody bought their game.

We don't live in a world where appreciation is enough to survive. You can argue about how shitty that is but it won't change that fact.

I agree, people should be experimental and branch out and try new things, but I don't think arguing with people that they should do that is necessarily beneficial. In fact, it turns people away from whatever you're pushing them towards, even if it's something they would enjoy.
But that's so dumb
Yeah, I learned my lesson after that. That's why I dipped out of Walking Dead after the first episode. I had to force myself at points to keep watching Breaking Bad because a few episodes were so numbingly boring or the characters were acting in a way they weren't built up.

Look, people are free to like what they like. And I'm not asking you to be a conspiracy theorist here but you should really take a moment to understand how manipulative marketing is within mainstream media.

It's not that I don't partake in pop culture. You may be surprised to know the majority of the time when I'm on my commute I'm listening to top 40. I can appreciate extremely shallow stuff for fun too. I'm capable of that.

The problem comes in when people are duped into only partaking in mainstream media. Because as I said, people are missing out on so much by doing that.

Well yes

That's how businesses work

They want money

I mean everyone knows that I have grievances with capitalism but focussing on this is...weird

And saying people are being duped is kind of super insulting. It's more that people just don't care enough to look into less well known stuff, so they don't bother.

No duh.

Companies are not your friend. They are not looking out for you, they are looking out for them. Doesn't matter how big or small they are, they just want your money. Especially the indy devs who make those games you mentioned. They want your money, first and foremost.
What are your reasons for finding uncharted enjoyable?

Funny lines, fun story (undead enemies aside), fun shootbang. It's just fun. It wasn't my GOTY, but it was fun. And that's what matters.

You have described what marketing is.

Marketing exists to convince a person that if they should by one game this year, buy this one.

Why do you think companies don't stop bullshit console wars? Because it's free exposure/ marketing and guarantees an audience for a thing.

Luckily most people are pretty savvy towards this and pick apart the bullshit to find if a game is worth playing or not.

But marketing also doesn't change a persons opinions or likes, merely reinforces them.

Naughty Dog (as an example) don't need to trick anyone to buy their game.
It's the fourth in a series, people suddenly aren't going to realise that they don't like Uncharted.
Those same people are always going to return because they like those games.

Everything else I was going to say has been pretty much covered already by other people.

Edit : Granadier, doing the lords work there.

Vazra

Overall I think everyone wants to sell their product. Some have more budget to promote than others but in the end the want the money no matter indie or mainstream. As much as someone might love working for the arts they want money to keep working on their craft.

also LOL Vazra hahaha

044cb00257.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom