• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb1234

okay realtalk, not just being a contrarian/Naughty Dick sucker

I don't like Doom. I recognized a couple of interesting design decisions with regards to level design and interaction but it's all shoot shoot shoot zzzz with nothing to break up the action except a hectic camera that snaps to five different places in a single second and gives me such eye strain that it's physically painful to play.

I want to go back and replay my slow, simple Uncharted 4 with its amazing story and coddling gameplay.

Doom has its own share of things that I dislike, like samey levels and those annoying enemy arenas where you fight wave after wave that seem to substitute for interesting encounter design.

Jobbs

Banned

I don't like Doom. I recognized a couple of interesting design decisions with regards to level design and interaction but it's all shoot shoot shoot zzzz with nothing to break up the action except a hectic camera that snaps to five different places in a single second and gives me such eye strain that it's physically painful to play.

I want to go back and replay my slow, simple Uncharted 4 with its amazing story and coddling gameplay.

Doom is so completely what it is. You have to admire its purity even if it isn't for you.

The main character in Doom becoming annoyed with the exposition and smashing computers/speakers to silence it got a bigger reaction out of me than every story moment in UC4 combined.

My appreciation for Doom was perhaps overstated a bit because of the stark contrast it provided with the (in my opinion) dull and vacuous experience of UC4, but it's the type of game you just don't see anymore. It doesn't have much else in common with Dark Souls, but what it does is that they each feel like a game that might have been developed in another timeline that split off from us in the early/mid 90s where a butterfly flapped its wings a couple extra times.

FUME5

Fair enough, you know where I stand on the UC series. Doom is the most fun I've had with a FPS campaign in a long, long time. Have you tried increasing the FOV? I found on default it feels pulled in too tight.

zeemumu

Doom's not bad. That sounds more like it's just not your thing.

I hate being coddled. That's why I turned off anything related to aim assist during my UC4 playthrough.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
j2ZF9Vj.png

BhA5Q_dIIAAgEpq.jpg

"Hey, do you have any more of those sketches? Maybe like one where the lady's, like, looking right at you?"

Oh DOOM is definitely very good at being DOOM. I just have never liked that, and this latest iteration changes nothing. For reference, I also hate Quake, Counter Strike, Call of Duty, Team Fortress and Halo. So my criticism of it isn't in reference to shooters, but in deterrence from the genre. Only Borderlands has oddly escaped my revile.

So it was a product of its time and maintained its status since then, makes sense.

Agree with you there.

Silk still has its place. Like it's hard to beat a nice silk tie. But it should be used sparingly.

Jobbs

Banned
"Hey, do you have any more of those sketches? Maybe like one where the lady's, like, looking right at you?"

I can make her do anything I want if I put some effort in.

I hate being coddled. That's why I turned off anything related to aim assist during my UC4 playthrough.

If you hate being coddled you may need to turn off more than the aim assist in UC4. Maybe try the power button

Misha

Banned
Oh DOOM is definitely very good at being DOOM. I just have never liked that, and this latest iteration changes nothing. For reference, I also hate Quake, Counter Strike, Call of Duty, Team Fortress and Halo. So my criticism of it isn't in reference to shooters, but in deterrence from the genre.

Imo increase in graphical complexity made the maps less interesting. Just too busy. Less of a maze
Silk still has its place. Like it's hard to beat a nice silk tie. But it should be used sparingly.

Not a fan of ties. Especially shiny ones

Jobbs

Banned
Can you make her real like in "Take on Me"?

that's where I got my girlfriend, so, yes, duh

speaking of, she shoulda been here long ago :(

Oh DOOM is definitely very good at being DOOM. I just have never liked that, and this latest iteration changes nothing. For reference, I also hate Quake, Counter Strike, Call of Duty, Team Fortress and Halo. So my criticism of it isn't in reference to shooters, but in deterrence from the genre. Only Borderlands has oddly escaped my revile.

oh yeah, I kinda generally hate FPS just as a whole, but I've talked about that many times and given my reasons. In Doom's case I felt more connection to the character than other FPS, though (which is a real problem with FPS, if I can't SEE the character, I can't form a connection with them) because in Doom the guy is channeling my raaage.

Jobbs

Banned
You know she wouldn't have to drive so much if you let her move in, jerk.

She has to go to and from the hospital whether she moves in or not. She hasn't moved in, but she has some of her shit here (there's a little skyline of girl stuff in my bathroom) and she's here a fair amount hanging out when she isn't working.

I try to keep an open mind. Every genre is what it is and i won't penalize it for that as long as it has a win/loss condition.

I submit there is no win/loss condition in games that have such frequent checkpointing that virtually no time is lost if you die.

Incidentally, one of the early scenes in UC4 was my favorite for several reasons. The 80s flashback. It was generally well done and effective and felt like a proper preamble -- The problem is that most the game ended up feeling like a preamble.

I also liked it because it was unintentionally funny. I fell to my death fuckin' twice. This 12 year old kid dies just because his brother wants to show him a bike, and they'll god damn risk everything to do it. I woke up laughing because of it.

zeemumu

Win/haven't won yet >>> win/loss

Win/loss for games that aren't puzzles. Puzzle games don't need loss conditions.

I submit there is no win/loss condition in games that have such frequent checkpointing that virtually no time is lost if you die.

Incidentally, one of the early scenes in UC4 was my favorite for several reasons. The 80s flashback. It was generally well done and effective and felt like a proper preamble -- The problem is that most the game ended up feeling like a preamble.

I also liked it because it was unintentionally funny. I fell to my death fuckin' twice. This 12 year old kid dies just because his brother wants to show him a bike, and they'll god damn risk everything to do it. I woke up laughing because of it.
At least you didn't wake up dead

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
She hasn't moved in, but she has some of her shit here (there's a little skyline of girl stuff in my bathroom) and she's here a fair amount hanging out when she isn't working.

Is that what the kids call
eating burritos and watching Inside Out
these days.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I keep telling myself I need to give Witcher 3 a shot.

It's billed as an action-y RPG game, but really the narrative is it's main selling point. It just doesn't hold your hand through that narrative. (Unless you want it to, in that case you can turn all those options on)

FUME5

he looks so efficient here

Hahahah

You will need to be prepared for this level of discourse.

EDIT

Probably just me, but that dude looks more like he's smoking a bong than smoking a pole.

601166278510915586-Twitter.png

High school friend got in contact with me on Facebook last night (well, she tried last year but since she's plumped lips / platinum blonde and send me a message saying "Dan the man, 'sup bruh" I thought she was a bot at first, but I digress) she went to our 20 year HS reunion last year which is why she thought of me I guess. Anyway, talking about life, her husband / kids etc.. and she suddenly says "I remember getting fucked up on bucket bongs in your dungeon and watching Fresh Prince marathons".

I told her I didn't (for obvious reasons). I did remember this morning about smoking joints at her house and watching Jem and the Holograms though....

Jobbs

Banned
I want to text her "I've been watching breastfeeding videos and I'm all worked up" but my phone broke and my new one still hasn't arrived

I should probably get her into using hangouts

Send her one of those email things!

I'd have to find her email address.. as weird as that sounds

She's on facebook all the time but I don't use facebook.

Granadier

Oh, okay. Yeah, that's probably true. Unless I find a way to make a different face for each person.

Now that would be interesting. Although I feel like the act of consciously choosing your o-face would take away some from the orgasm itself. Like you would have to think about something rather than a mindless release.

I want to text her "I've been watching breastfeeding videos and I'm all worked up" but my phone broke and my new one still hasn't arrived

I don't even have a landline anymore so I'm unreachable except by computer atm.

Send her one of those email things!

jb1234

Now that would be interesting. Although I feel like the act of consciously choosing your o-face would take away some from the orgasm itself. Like you would have to think about something rather than a mindless release.

Yeah, I would agree. And I think by the time I've gotten to the orgasm, the last thing on my mind will be the expression on my face. ;)

Granadier

High school friend got in contact with me on Facebook last night (well, she tried last year but since she's plumped lips / platinum blonde and send me a message saying "Dan the man, 'sup bruh" I thought she was a bot at first, but I digress) she went to our 20 year HS reunion last year which is why she thought of me I guess. Anyway, talking about life, her husband / kids etc.. and she suddenly says "I remember getting fucked up on bucket bongs in your dungeon and watching Fresh Prince marathons".

I told her I didn't (for obvious reasons). I did remember this morning about smoking joints at her house and watching Jem and the Holograms though....

All I cherry picked out of this is that you used to have a dungeon in high school and girls willingly joined you in it.

There's nothing worse than returning to work on something that you haven't touched in a long time and everything's broken because you can't remember what's missing in the first place.

I started to throw all the finalised UI in for battle stuffs and everything is on fire.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Taken a few years after high school obviously, but looked pretty much the same. I have better photos somewhere I think.

EDIT

A few in my Photobucket, sure I uploaded more but guess not.

oh yeah, that's totally teenager aesthetic right there. My best friends in high school had a similar room.

jb1234

There's nothing worse than returning to work on something that you haven't touched in a long time and everything's broken because you can't remember what's missing in the first place.

I started to throw all the finalised UI in for battle stuffs and everything is on fire.

Which UI did you pick?

Doom is so completely what it is. You have to admire its purity even if it isn't for you.

The main character in Doom becoming annoyed with the exposition and smashing computers/speakers to silence it got a bigger reaction out of me than every story moment in UC4 combined.

My appreciation for Doom was perhaps overstated a bit because of the stark contrast it provided with the (in my opinion) dull and vacuous experience of UC4, but it's the type of game you just don't see anymore. It doesn't have much else in common with Dark Souls, but what it does is that they each feel like a game that might have been developed in another timeline that split off from us in the early/mid 90s where a butterfly flapped its wings a couple extra times.

I love how Doom Guy is sort of amazingly self-aware.

jb1234

I ended up doing a hybrid between the two choices with a couple of alterations here and there.

I'm amped because that's kind of defined what the rest of the UI is gonna look like now outside of battle.

I'm fixing up the weird layer ordering bug as we speak :p

Huh. That looks like of those dudes in Super Mario Bros. 2 that shoots bullets out of his nose...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom