• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
Just noticed this. People "judge" all the time. Judgement is just a function of logic so there really shouldn't be a negative association with it.

The problem comes when people get mean spirited or nasty about it. I was just stating my personal preference when it comes to unnatural hair color, nothing mean spirited about that at all.

I was only taken aback by some of the reactions here because I rarely internally remark on unnaturally colored hair unless it looks blazing good and then I'm like "damn that looks good".

But ya, I agree with you, judgement is part of being human.

So I progressed further in Dark Souls II last night, beating another boss (the one where you have to fight three things) and I've had a revelation. Dark Souls encounter design reminds me of WoW dungeon design.

You have trash mobs that are boring to kill but not easily killed (until later). You have boss runs, shortcuts, and necessary Trash you have to kill. And boss encounters become rather easy once you've figured out the tricks.

It's basically just a boss rush game tbh. What differentiates it from WoW for the most part is the fact that you can and absolutely should skip the trash mobs between you and the boss. Like, the entire goal of the game is just to open shortcuts to bosses so that you can NOT fight the garbage trash before the boss.

Honestly, I'm super not impressed.

I do like the boss encounters, but the other enemies in the game feel completely superfluous and the fact that they respawn only reminds you of how useless they are as you run past them a few times before you "figure out" the boss.

I just don't know if I'm having fun doing this. I do like killing the bosses because they're well designed encounters with interesting arenas... but the in between parts are hellishly boring. What is the point of filling levels with endlessly respawning enemies that aren't hard to kill but take time to kill and you can just run past once you've opened whatever environmental shortcut you need to in order to quickly get to the boss?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Lily Allen jumping on the bandwagon.
NuMVEMk.png

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I am none of those, I am just

none of the above. I should get into game dev'ing when I get more time tho

seems fun and I have legitimately great game ideas
Then there is us, the trifecta of outliers

I know that was an incorrect statement but it's staggering how closely it leans to being true

FloatOn

So I progressed further in Dark Souls II last night, beating another boss (the one where you have to fight three things) and I've had a revelation. Dark Souls encounter design reminds me of WoW dungeon design.

You have trash mobs that are boring to kill but not easily killed (until later). You have boss runs, shortcuts, and necessary Trash you have to kill. And boss encounters become rather easy once you've figured out the tricks.

It's basically just a boss rush game tbh. What differentiates it from WoW for the most part is the fact that you can and absolutely should skip the trash mobs between you and the boss. Like, the entire goal of the game is just to open shortcuts to bosses so that you can NOT fight the garbage trash before the boss.

Honestly, I'm super not impressed.

I do like the boss encounters, but the other enemies in the game feel completely superfluous and the fact that they respawn only reminds you of how useless they are as you run past them a few times before you "figure out" the boss.

I just don't know if I'm having fun doing this. I do like killing the bosses because they're well designed encounters with interesting arenas... but the in between parts are hellishly boring. What is the point of filling levels with endlessly respawning enemies that aren't hard to kill but take time to kill and you can just run past once you've opened whatever environmental shortcut you need to in order to quickly get to the boss?

Enemies are there for you to earn those delicious souls so that you can build your character to your liking.

I'll agree that dark souls 2 more than any other game in the series suffers from the trash mob game design mentality. However, there are some pretty purposeful fights in most of the areas and they really are mostly designed to teach you lessons on how to better face those boss encounters.

The areas are also littered with sick loot for you to find so that keeps things interesting as well. And beyond the loot there are often NPC quest lines to keep things interesting. And finally there are the risk of player invasions which always keeps me on my toes.

I'm sorry that you are finding things boring but I will say that the Dark Souls 2 gets better as you go along. The end game content and DLC is super dope

edit - Also you are pretty close to getting Santier's Spear I think. Get that shit ASAP and break it. It's the best weapon in the game..

marrec

Banned
Enemies are there for you to earn those delicious souls so that you can build your character to your liking.

I'll agree that dark souls 2 more than any other game in the series suffers from the trash mob game design mentality. However, there are some pretty purposeful fights in most of the areas and they really are mostly designed to teach you lessons on how to better face those boss encounters.

The areas are also littered with sick loot for you to find so that keeps things interesting as well. And beyond the loot there are often NPC quest lines to keep things interesting. And finally there are the risk of player invasions which always keeps me on my toes.

I'm sorry that you are finding things boring but I will say that the Dark Souls 2 gets better as you go along. The end game content and DLC is super dope.

So, the souls you earn from the trash mobs are puny in comparison to the boss souls and (so far anyway) completely unnecessary.

And ya, some of the encounters are fun, like when there is clearly some kind of trap or way to open a shortcut using the enemies. Again though it suffers because AFTER you've been through that the encounter will reset anytime you die/visit a bonfire. So the awesome discovery feeling you had is replaced with "oh right, I have to take 30 seconds to pull this guy over here and kill him again" or "run past everything for the boss run!" neither of which convince me the need of having them respawn other than a way to farm souls or needless padding of length and difficulty.

I do like the design of the levels, the ways the shortcuts change things, and the loot. (The NPCs are garbage so far though, holy shit)

If the trash mobs took less time to kill it wouldn't be so bad. But even the easiest trash mobs have to be approached with a bit of caution and/or knowing exactly how many hits it takes to kill them and performed precisely that way. Or, you know, just running past them.

I dunno.

Bloodborne never made me feel so bored in between bosses.

FloatOn

So, the souls you earn from the trash mobs are puny in comparison to the boss souls and (so far anyway) completely unnecessary.

And ya, some of the encounters are fun, like when there is clearly some kind of trap or way to open a shortcut using the enemies. Again though it suffers because AFTER you've been through that the encounter will reset anytime you die/visit a bonfire. So the awesome discovery feeling you had is replaced with "oh right, I have to take 30 seconds to pull this guy over here and kill him again" or "run past everything for the boss run!" neither of which convince me the need of having them respawn other than a way to farm souls or needless padding of length and difficulty.

I do like the design of the levels, the ways the shortcuts change things, and the loot. (The NPCs are garbage so far though, holy shit)

If the trash mobs took less time to kill it wouldn't be so bad. But even the easiest trash mobs have to be approached with a bit of caution and/or knowing exactly how many hits it takes to kill them and performed precisely that way. Or, you know, just running past them.

I dunno.

Bloodborne never made me feel so bored in between bosses.

I sadly haven't played bloodborne so I can't comment on that.

The amount of souls the enemies drop do increase as the game progresses so I wouldn't advise skipping them.

Another thing is the fact that I love Souls combat so killing things isn't a drag for me in these games. If you don't like the way the combat works then yeah I can see how it would be a problem for you.

Dark Souls 2 does have the enemies despawn after a certain point (I think if you kill them 10 times) though if that's any consoloation. It's the only game in the series to offer this.

but like I said, play the game human and allow yourself to be invaded. It totally spices things up.

See? This is a case example of a person who cannot rock the blue hair.

What? She looks fine.

I would love it if my partner dyed her hair or got piercings (she has her ears pierced but never wears earrings) or tattoos, but she's absolutely not interested. Alors— we all settle in the end. She's said she may try interesting colours when she goes grey, but that doesn't appear at all imminent.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
What if you're half gay AND in the military

What are those
Your ABU pants :p

Also ACU, NWU, MARPAT, whatever. It was just something I always heard the boys say on deployment when they would do stuff like oil checks and gay chicken and nut taps or what have you, they always said boot pants instead of referring to any particular uniform.

SystemBug

#Art , gotta be unique man, we aren't all the same, wake up
#LegalizeRanch #Investigate311
:p

But the thing is, the oddest looking typical art kids were in the fundamentals program, so they weren't even that good. The good artist looked pretty much normal, the ones in the illustration, animation and design programs

I'm so fucking irrationally pissed off and hurt I don't even get it.

Like I've been talking with my old roommate this morning and I just...I can't find it in me to be sympathetic to her struggles. Like, we're wicked close. We're best friends. She means everything to me.

And yet Im so heartless. I'm trying to listen and be kind but I just don't have it in me anymore. This anger feels like a cancer that I can't fucking shake and I don't know how to get rid of it and it's made even worse that I'm so fucking alone all the time.

Fuck I don't even know why I'm typing this, I'm tired and hungry and I lowkey wanna cry. I just needed to get it out I guess.

Does this shit ever end or can I just expect to be a bitch for the rest of my life, honest question

FloatOn

I got my Butterbeer. It's okay

you can make this at home pretty easy

butterscotch syrup + cream soda = butterbeer

Like I've been talking with my old roommate this morning and I just...I can't find it in me to be sympathetic to her struggles. Like, we're wicked close. We're best friends. She means everything to me.

And yet Im so heartless. I'm trying to listen and be kind but I just don't have it in me anymore. This anger feels like a cancer that I can't fucking shake and I don't know how to get rid of it and it's made even worse that I'm so fucking alone all the time.

Fuck I don't even know why I'm typing this, I'm tired and hungry and I lowkey wanna cry. I just needed to get it out I guess.

Does this shit ever end or can I just expect to be a bitch for the rest of my life, honest question

you should punch a bag until you feel better

it really sounds like you need some kind of release

zeemumu

You're not a bitch for not being sympathetic to everything. It happens. But the fact that it's frustrating shows that you care about this friend. That's not heartless. You're trying. Give yourself more credit for the good things about you because trust me, they're there.

You're not a bitch for not being sympathetic to everything. It happens. But the fact that it's frustrating shows that you care about this friend. That's not heartless. You're trying. Give yourself more credit for the good things about you because trust me, they're there.

That's the thing, I'm not sympathetic to anything. I don't give a fuck about half the things I did this time last year.

How do I legitimately bring myself to care

FloatOn

also don't feel bad dragonz because you are probably waaaaay better of a person than me because I'm like

There-Will-Be-Blood-quotes-3.gif

99% of the time

I've made my peace with this

zeemumu

That's the thing, I'm not sympathetic to anything. I don't give a fuck about half the things I did this time last year.

Go spend some time doing what you used to do for fun, and then try some new things. If you still feel that apathy constantly then there's a chance it might be depression (I'm not a doctor but it's what I feel fairly often), but it in no way means that you're a bad person. You're nifty-keen (whatever the hell that means. I think it's good).

Misha

Banned

Likely is related to something else. Like for instance mild depression seems to cause anger from my experience.

As usual I'd recommend seeing a therapist if it's really bothering you

Go spend some time doing what you used to do for fun, and then try some new things. If you still feel that apathy constantly then there's a chance it might be depression (I'm not a doctor but it's what I feel fairly often), but it in no way means that you're a bad person. You're nifty-keen (whatever the hell that means. I think it's good).

Yeah well it's a little hard to fucking enjoy things when they're all closed when you wake up

FloatOn

The fact that you care that you don't care is an excellent start and puts you way head of Seth ;)

I wasn't always this way

I was probably the most optimistic and cheerful person you would ever meet prior to the divorce

I'm getting my life together but I've kind of become a nihilist if you couldn't already tell ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah well it's a little hard to fucking enjoy things when they're all closed when you wake up

read Bukowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom