• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
And I get what you mean... my first try at college was a mess. Dropped out, lost my full ride, etc. Having a bad schedule (plus bad teachers) can really fuck you up.
And depression.

This this this. I finally got checked out in my junior year and it's turned things around immensely. Still have technically dropped out to accept an apprenticeship, but treating my depression has changed my life.

Misha

Banned
I'm sorry to hear that. :( I'm not sure if it gets any better. I find it hard to give individual recommendations for Wonder Woman because DC doesn't treat her very well and she doesn't get the standalone treatment that Batman and Superman do. Greg Rucka is one of the few authors that I can really vouch for to write her properly and his run isn't even available digitally. D:

Searching around, I see good things about The Legend of Wonder Woman which is being published digitally first. It's an all-ages retelling of her origin story. Not finished yet but you could get the first issue and see if you like it!

(All-ages superhero comics tend to be of a higher quality than the regular output because they don't treat the women like trash and draw them with sex appeal as the first priority.)

I have no hope for it. :(

I'll hold you to that!
The issue wasn't exactly characterization cause they did make her seem like she was strong and all that but it seemed like she was the fifth most important character and it seemed like the writers just wanted to do a Greek gods comic and used her as an excuse to do it.
You weren't around for it but my recent interest in wonder woman is partially because of my love for (and interest in cosplaying) atomic wonder woman from the infinite crisis game. Would love for there to be a comic for that character (and I wouldn't mind writing one, myself, someday)

Just downloaded the first two chapters of the one you just mentioned and its a much better read but not exactly what I was looking for so far. Will probably keep up with it regardless.
Zeemumu also suggested wonder woman earth one to me. Any experience with that one?

Also that game Rn is pretty much just dependent on my anxiety surrounding coding and such. I know I have the ability to pump out a prototype in a day or two but it takes a lot longer as is

Misha

Banned
Okay kindle store is really dangerous. All I have to do is click once and it buys things and every time I finish one book it pops up with the next book in the series for me to buy...

Pau

The issue wasn't exactly characterization cause they did make her seem like she was strong and all that but it seemed like she was the fifth most important character and it seemed like the writers just wanted to do a Greek gods comic and used her as an excuse to do it.
You weren't around for it but my recent interest in wonder woman is partially because of my love for (and interest in cosplaying) atomic wonder woman from the infinite crisis game. Would love for there to be a comic for that character (and I wouldn't mind writing one, myself, someday)

Just downloaded the first two chapters of the one you just mentioned and its a much better read but not exactly what I was looking for so far. Will probably keep up with it regardless.
Zeemumu also suggested wonder woman earth one to me. Any experience with that one?

Also that game Rn is pretty much just dependent on my anxiety surrounding coding and such. I know I have the ability to pump out a prototype in a day or two but it takes a lot longer as is
Just looked her up; you should definitely cosplay as her! And yeah, I've heard that complaint about the Azzarello run. You could try asking ComicGAF if they have any recommendations?

I haven't read Wonder Woman: Earth One and probably don't plan to so I can't speak for it. I just have my reservations about Grant Morrison and I'm not really interested in the direction of his take. A lot of people seem to be enjoying it though.

And I'm sure you'll be able to work through the anxiety. No pressure! :3

Misha

Banned
Everyone go listen to Hall & Oates

oates_hull300.jpg

Pau

I'm that shitty person who just listens to movie soundtracks and like maybe a song used in a trailer. Which is why I know who Of Monsters and Men are. Because their song was featured in the Jessica Jones trailer.

Misha

Banned
Just looked her up; you should definitely cosplay as her! And yeah, I've heard that complaint about the Azzarello run. You could try asking ComicGAF if they have any recommendations?

I haven't read Wonder Woman: Earth One and probably don't plan to so I can't speak for it. I just have my reservations about Grant Morrison and I'm not really interested in the direction of his take. A lot of people seem to be enjoying it though.

And I'm sure you'll be able to work through the anxiety. No pressure! :3

Is just the general comical thread a good place to ask or one of the dc specific ones?

What's the issue with Morrison? He's done a lot of batman stuff right?

I've decided everyone should cosplay except me. I'll just be the judge.

:: cosplays as Nathan Drake ::

Don't let your personal distaste enter into the equation.

What if the mice really are the monsters?

Radioactive human sized rats.

Yeah Of Monsters and Men is a lot more folky. This makes me cry literally everytime I hear it.

PVRIS also has an acoustic album and it's v good.

Yeah, I remember this song. And I'll check out that acoustic album.

Jobbs

Banned
:: cosplays as Nathan Drake ::

Don't let your personal distaste enter into the equation.

you just liked the game because nathan is hot

I was trying to imagine if the lead wasn't shitbag liar-face fuckboi and instead an appealing woman shitbag -- would I enjoy the game more?

probably a bit more, yea

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist

They're in that house you want to rent. You know it.

I FUCKING KNEW IT.

The word radioactive has been ruined by that shit forever.

you just liked the game because nathan is hot

I was trying to imagine if the lead wasn't shitbag liar-face fuckboi and instead an appealing woman shitbag -- would I enjoy the game more?

probably a bit more, yea

How dare you. I'm not that shallow.

(But lowkey, I was positioning the camera on Nathan's butt when he was in the scuba gear.)

I'm that shitty person who just listens to movie soundtracks and like maybe a song used in a trailer. Which is why I know who Of Monsters and Men are. Because their song was featured in the Jessica Jones trailer.

This is how I got into my favorite band Muse.
28 weeks later trailer had Shrinking Universe
, my sister's boyfriend at the time was watching the trailer with me and he goes "oh I know that band I have some of their CD's".

All of the versions of this trailer that got uploaded to youtube in 2007 originally now have "this clip contained copyrighted music and has been muted as a result" LOL

Jobbs

Banned
(But lowkey, I was positioning the camera on Nathan's butt when he was in the scuba gear.)

there's swimming butts here too

Tomb Raider Rising = non-stop leering at Lara. The camera movements and lighting are frequent enablers.

I actually found her so distracting at times that it got in the way of playing the game

Wait, what button do I push? What am I doing again?

whatever!

Pau

Is just the general comical thread a good place to ask or one of the dc specific ones?

What's the issue with Morrison? He's done a lot of batman stuff right?
Yeah the general comic thread should be good!

I have a love/hate relationship with Morrison. We disagree on some fundamental stuff about characters like Magneto. (His New X-Men was the first book I read by him; he thinks Magneto is Hitler. I think that's too uninteresting and easy when Magneto has a better and more compelling and challenging analogue in Malcolm X.) I generally agree with his Batman opinions and like a lot of his Batman run. But it is marred by it's neglect of the female Batman characters and some weird out-of-character stuff to try to sell Damian as the one true Batman heir because he's the only biological son.

As far as his writing style goes, his actual structure/plot is kind of all over the place (partly by design). Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

In regards to Wonder Woman: Earth One, I was following the book back when it was first announced he'd write it. He really wants to explore sexual themes with Diana because of her creator. Which makes sense but I'm just kind of tired of that stuff being delegated to just female characters. Add on to that an artist that does a lot of male gaze-y stuff and it's just not something I particularly want to read.

Yup, that's the one. :D

there's swimming butts here too

Tomb Raider Rising = non-stop leering at Lara. The camera movements and lighting are frequent enablers.

I actually found her so distracting at times that it got in the way of playing the game

Wait, what button do I push? What am I doing again?

whatever!

Gah, I still need to get Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I really enjoyed TR 2013. So I'm sure I'll love this one.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
VxWWzwn.jpg

my life, replace lifting with running

missing the last panel where he grows the beard back and goes back to being a hermit though

Misha

Banned
Yeah the general comic thread should be good!

I have a love/hate relationship with Morrison. We disagree on some fundamental stuff about characters like Magneto. (His New X-Men was the first book I read by him; he thinks Magneto is Hitler. I think that's too uninteresting and easy when Magneto has a better and more compelling and challenging analogue in Malcolm X.) I generally agree with his Batman opinions and like a lot of his Batman run. But it is marred by it's neglect of the female Batman characters and some weird out-of-character stuff to try to sell Damian as the one true Batman heir because he's the only biological son.

As far as his writing style goes, his actual structure/plot is kind of all over the place (partly by design). Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

In regards to Wonder Woman: Earth One, I was following the book back when it was first announced he'd write it. He really wants to explore sexual themes with Diana because of her creator. Which makes sense but I'm just kind of tired of that stuff being delegated to just female characters. Add on to that an artist that does a lot of male gaze-y stuff and it's just not something I particularly want to read.

Definitely agree on magneto. I hate when people just go for an evil character cause its easy (see kuvira in legend of Korra)

Everything I've read about wonder woman's creator hasn't been good. He seems to try to push empowerment through his fetishes. Sorta like Stephen Moffat these days.
It seems rare doe guys to be good at writing female sexuality

zeemumu

Back from the wedding and danced awkwardly, but it was better than sitting awkwardly so I've decided that the risk vs. reward of having confidence might be worth it after all. I'm gonna give it a try.

Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist

I introduced my best friend to that movie a few months ago. Then we left to go see Star Wars where a kid blurted out the spoiler death about an hour before it happened and it was her first time seeing the movie after we had spent months organizing movie nights and watching all 6 movies.

Pau

Definitely agree on magneto. I hate when people just go for an evil character cause its easy (see kuvira in legend of Korra)

Everything I've read about wonder woman's creator hasn't been good. He seems to try to push empowerment through his fetishes. Sorta like Stephen Moffat these days.
It seems rare doe guys to be good at writing female sexuality
I didn't watch the later seasons of Legend of Korra (Despite ATLA being my favorite TV show of all time) but if it's anything how they handled Amon..

And yeah, concerning a lot of male creators, that's how it seems to me too. It just sucks because you don't usually have to wade through that shit for the male characters.

Numb

Did everything in the 80's look like an amusement park run through a vaseline filter?

I need to lose weight. It's the end of the week so now's the perfect time to cut fast food/fried foods for a bit.
get a stationary bike infront of your tv and do it while watching shit

jb1234

I just let down Dude #2 easy by telling him that I need to work on myself right now (which frankly is true as fuck) and he responded with four paragraphs, ultimately stating he really wants to talk and then he tried calling.

Edit: The voicemail is two and a half minutes long. Good god.

Yeah, I don't like dating.

zeemumu

get a stationary bike infront of your tv and do it while watching shit

There's a Home Exercise Equipment : Actual Exercise ration that I'm trying to avoid. It seems like when you own a lot of home exercise stuff, it's because you're really fit and want to be able to work out outside of the gym, or too lazy to go to the gym.

Writing for Wonder Woman seems to shift between pretentious and bloodthirsty Wonder Woman and "least subtle message on gender roles ever" Wonder Woman. I like a middle ground where it's clear that she's working to understand/fix the world of man from a realistic point of view but it's still clear that she can fuck you up at any given time. That seems like the direction that the BvS Wonder Woman is going towards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom