• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm doing dark souls 3 and witcher 3 currently

It's heaven

Next I'm gonna do dragonz dogma
Dragons Dogma combat is so good but man does the world gets boring quick and the story is trash. Imagine DD with Witcher 3 world. Whewwww

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I should play more Doom

*plays overwatch instead*
I'm disappointed that the multiplayer in Doom 4 didn't go for a more Quake-like approach, instead doing something more akin to Halo. I mean, I'm cool with Halo, but that's not the sort of thing that I would hope for in an id title.

FloatOn

holy shit I just saw the most hilariously lewd gif ever

pretty sure I would get banned if I posted it

Dragons Dogma combat is so good but man does the world gets boring quick and the story is trash. Imagine DD with Witcher 3 world. Whewwww

I've always wanted dark souls combat in an elder scrolls world.

I feel like witcher 3 comes close to that. Maybe one day both combat and world design will be perfected in an arpg

FUME5

fb4a835c58.png

Scissorwalk2.png

Gameswise, juggling DS3 (almost done), Doom (4/5ths), Total Warhammer (got an hour in last night, already far more hooked than I was for Rome II), Overwatch (Do I need to say anything?), all the magic talk in this thread has me playing a match or two of that a night, Duelyst and I realised on the weekend that Gothic Armada had left early access so playing that as well.

In D3 every character of the same class is the same... There are no builds or choices, everyone just has everything, so nothing means anything

I didn't like the PC/Mac release of D3, I found it boring, but I don't think for those reasons. Giving you everything to choose from means you can experiment and see what's fun and effective for you. There are builds and choices, but nothing is irrevocable. Playing d2 as anything but a lifestyle meant regret at each poor choice at level up.

marrec

Banned
I'm disappointed that the multiplayer in Doom 4 didn't go for a more Quake-like approach, instead doing something more akin to Halo. I mean, I'm cool with Halo, but that's not the sort of thing that I would hope for in an id title.

I like the MP if only for the maps and the quick movement and the hot swapping of guns.

I also enjoy the demon spawns.

But Overwatch is just.... better?

Jobbs

Banned
I don't buy into the religious dogma around mad max that it's the best movie ever or whatever. it was ok and a little tedious

I didn't like the PC/Mac release of D3, I found it boring, but I don't think for those reasons. Giving you everything to choose from means you can experiment and see what's fun and effective for you. There are builds and choices, but nothing is irrevocable. Playing d2 as anything but a lifestyle meant regret at each poor choice at level up.

this is just a fundamental difference in worldview, then, if you think leveling up and making choices is inherently bad because you might make a choice you regret, but I think that's integral to the experience. I think a character should be the sum of your choices in an RPG. If there are no choices and no specialization then something is lost and the game becomes dull.

marrec

Banned
I don't buy into the religious dogma around mad max that it's the best movie ever or whatever. it was ok and a little tedious

Removing all the bullshit from it, come with me into a vacuum where it's not overhyped:

It's still a beautifully shot and extremely well choreographed movie with explosive and hard to reproduce action scenes and a decent story.

Misha

Banned
Removing all the bullshit from it, come with me into a vacuum where it's not overhyped:

It's still a beautifully shot and extremely well choreographed movie with explosive and hard to reproduce action scenes and a decent story.

Here's the thing though: its underhyped

AcridMeat

Banned
I actually returned Doom. Will be getting it at a later date after I upgrade my PC and can fully enjoy it. Plus with Overwatch out, I really don't need it right now.

Bingo bango. Story is pretty thin but I think it fits with everything else.

FUME5

I like the MP if only for the maps and the quick movement and the hot swapping of guns.

I also enjoy the demon spawns.

But Overwatch is just.... better?

As a competitive shooter? Unquestionably.

Jobbs, how would you draw two lesbians scissoring while crossing a tightrope?

Jobbs

Banned
I actually agree. Watching it recently I think it's underappreciated.

how is that in any way possible?

It's impossible to be undersold on this movie when everyone on the internet says in the most extreme terms possible that it's the best and greatest movie ever and if you say anything negative they'll fite you

I don't think any movie has been hyped more in the history of movies

marrec

Banned

It's impossible to be undersold on this movie when everyone on the internet says in the most extreme terms possible that it's the best and greatest movie ever and if you say anything negative they'll fite you

Does that make you like it less?

I truly think this movie is the best action movie of all time. Hands down.

SystemBug

But it's not mediocre the way you put it either. It just can't be, especially in the way its shot and edited. It's filmmaking at its best

FUME5

Ya, as a competitive shooter only.

As an FPS in general DOOM is much better.

I started playing Overwatch and actually sucked shit because it was so slow and I couldn't double jump on every char.

Took a bit of re-adjusting. I only played 2-3 rounds of the beta, which was enough to know I'd be buying it so reflexes were very much tuned to Doom.

Played Pharah, Reinhart and D-Va last night, dig 'em all.

marrec

Banned
But it's not mediocre the way you put it either. It just can't be, especially in the way its shot and edited. It's filmmaking at its best

Yes exactly.

Jobbs may feel that it doesn't meet the expectations put on it from the Internet but it is objectively a masterclass in shooting and editing.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Pacific Rim
The Rover
Edge of Tomorrow
22 Jump Street
Guardians of the Galaxy
Kingsman: The Secret Service
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Slow West
Dredd
Mad Max: Fury Road
Seven Psychopaths
Django Unchained
The Nice Guys

Which is the best action film of the last 5 years?

Jobbs

Banned
Jobbs, how would you draw two lesbians scissoring while crossing a tightrope?

Very carefully! LOL

You're right, someone running in a straight line against a gigantic rolling doughnut is better.

At least Prometheus has pacing... We have uptime and downtime. I think that sort of thing is important in movies. If your movie is basically just two long action scenes, we could almost describe it as one long action scene -- it kinda loses me in the noise

Anyway I actually watched Prometheus last night because I wanted to go over it again with a more critical eye.

There are some stupid ass things that happen that don't make sense (like why did everyone go on a 2 year mission without being told what the mission is or who's in charge? why did David poison Fake Tom Hardy's drink, and why didn't FTH notice it when he did it right in front of his face? why did Weyland keep his presence a secret? why did the mowhawk engineer get lost in the very caves that his own robots mapped?... sigh... why did he and his friend approach and touch the fucking vagina penis alien in the goo when they previously were too afraid to even go near a body that's been dead for 2,000 years? A 2,000 year old body scares you, but a freaky ass alien lifeform coming at you from black goo doesn't scare you? you want to touch it? it's cute? REALLY?)

And this one just really pushes my buttons.. If you assemble a group of scientists to go on a mission, and they've just been in hypersleep for 2 years to go on said mission, wouldn't you think telling them that you have reason to believe the greatest scientific discovery in the history of mankind awaits would spark some kind of interest or intrigue as opposed to heckling? the fuck? I feel like they just wanted to make a slight callback to the scene in Aliens where Ripley describes the mission to the marines and is met with skeptical looks and defiance. The difference is those were fucking space marines. These are scientists!

anyway... even after the thousands of small to medium problems, I still find the movie entertaining, largely on the strength of its visuals -- And the Self surgery scene is just as metal as it was the first time. That one scene is better than Mad Max, so we can pack this up

AcridMeat

Banned
Pacific Rim
The Rover
Edge of Tomorrow
22 Jump Street
Guardians of the Galaxy
Slow West
Dredd
Seven Psychopaths
Django Unchained
The Nice Guys

John Wick
kappaRyu.png
Real answer, The Raid 2
At least Prometheus has pacing... We have uptime and downtime.
Yeah sorry if you think there isn't downtime/pacing in Fury Road I don't know what to say.

And Prometheus is riddled with plot holes and poor writing. I'd take incredible visuals and a flamethrower metal guitarist over one short scene any day.

For the record, you can like whatever you like, but the way you argue the two is super silly. It just reeks of going against what's popular for the sake of it.

Misha

Banned
Pacific Rim
The Rover
Edge of Tomorrow
22 Jump Street
Guardians of the Galaxy
Slow West
Dredd
Seven Psychopaths
Django Unchained
The Nice Guys

Star wars the force awakens. What a perfect movie

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Pacific Rim
The Rover
Edge of Tomorrow
22 Jump Street
Guardians of the Galaxy
Slow West
Dredd
Seven Psychopaths
Django Unchained
The Nice Guys

Weed out some. I think I would give it to Guardians of the Galaxy followed by Mad Max then Kingsman.

marrec

Banned
Pacific Rim
The Rover
Edge of Tomorrow
22 Jump Street
Guardians of the Galaxy
Slow West
Dredd
Seven Psychopaths
Django Unchained
The Nice Guys

Mad Max easily.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Fury Road is brilliant in so many ways. I'm not gonna sit here and justify how very fucking wrong you are Jobbs.

Overwatch is boring af. Someone give me my $50 back

Jobbs

Banned
Pacific Rim
The Rover
Edge of Tomorrow
22 Jump Street
Guardians of the Galaxy
Slow West
Dredd
Seven Psychopaths
Django Unchained
The Nice Guys

Some odd selections here, but I think my favorite is TFA. My fanboyism obviously plays a role, but I enjoyed it most.

Dredd is one of the best comic book movies out there so it probably gets #2

P.S. I hated Guardians of the Boring

I think a character should be the sum of your choices in an RPG. If there are no choices and no specialization then something is lost and the game becomes dull.

I don't think Diablo is an RPG. The choices you make are entirely reduced to the few choices when levelling up in an RPG-- and typically those games have far fewer than all the levels in Diablo. If I put D2 down for a while I have to read guides again when I start playing again-- it felt like a chore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom