• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

As they should. Given what they've done with the shorts I could easily see them be competitive with dream works and Sony animation

Live action cgi hybrids where the cast is perfectly split is never good. Either all practical effects or do animation

Gotta get that Avatar money though.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Why doesn't blizzard just make a movie in house? They have one of the best animation teams in the world already and have a bunch of writers who should know the source better than anyone in Hollywood considering they wrote it. Just hire someone to point the project in the right direction and a few more so that it'll have the structure of a movie rather than a game.
Because making cinematic and making full length features are radically different processes and Blizzard can't afford to fun a feature without putting the company health in jeopardy

Misha

Banned
Because making cinematic and making full length features are radically different processes and Blizzard can't afford to fun a feature without putting the company health in jeopardy
Tbh I didn't consider the fact that the people who are doing the movie paid for the right to make a big advertisement that was doomed to fail.

I still doubt blizzard-activision is in a position where they couldn't at least make a direct to DVDs style movie but obviously I don't know their financials personally
Oh they could talk to Netflix about it

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The Legion cinematic itself took 4-6 hours of render time for each frame. ��

FloatOn

IIRC the bloodrayne movie had the female terminator from T3

she's nice to look at

and for the record let me just say that I enjoyed the first Resident Evil movie because it had so little to do with the game. I feel like once video game movies go the fan service route they go to shit.

I wouldn't mind seeing a movie set in the same universe as dark souls but you better fucking not name drop solaire

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The 1st one did but the sequels changed the actress!

Each film had a different actress
laugh.gif

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
they're always bad and always critically panned.

Warcraft looks like a white hot joke.
You shut your pasty white ghost mouth

Misha

Banned
I really don't understand people who say that working takes more of your time than college. Work you are done with when you leave the building (for the most part), college takes up as much time as it can with zero cap and varies depending of the time of the semester and professor

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah

The reviews aren't bad, they are all time worst movies bad

wait there are actually reviews out? Haha, that's even better

edit wait what

edit lol my own new avatar makes me laugh when seeing it with these posts

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really don't understand people who say that working takes more of your time than college. Work you are done with when you leave the building (for the most part), college takes up as much time as it has towing zero cap and varies depending of the time of the semester and professor
Teaching has you working at least 2-3 hours at home every day including weekends, also often with unpaid overtime at the "office"

SystemBug

I really don't understand people who say that working takes more of your time than college. Work you are done with when you leave the building (for the most part), college takes up as much time as it can with zero cap and varies depending of the time of the semester and professor

Work takes more time than college imo. I have no time when I get home from work.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Tbh I didn't consider the fact that the people who are doing the movie paid for the right to make a big advertisement that was doomed to fail.

I still doubt blizzard-activision is in a position where they couldn't at least make a direct to DVDs style movie but obviously I don't know their financials personally
Oh they could talk to Netflix about it
They are publicly traded. Their net income in 2015 was ‎$892 million, this movie cost about $200 million alone including marketing.
wait there are actually reviews out? Haha, that's even better

edit wait what

edit lol my own new avatar makes me laugh when seeing it with these posts

here's a direct review quote:
Critics throw the term “soulless corporate filmmaking” around with abandon, but movies like “Warcraft” really manage to redefine the term. A film adaptation of the hugely popular MMORPG (that’s Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game), this latest video game adaptation ranks near the bottom of the deadly genre. Imagine “Battlefield Earth” without the verve, or the unintentional comedy, and you’ve got “Warcraft.”

Misha

Banned
that sounds nice. on average I get maybe two hours of free time a night on non-school days
Yeah that's why I didn't work and go to school at the same time. Obviously you don't have a choice though (if you want to do school and continue to have your career)

At least you'll just end up with one of the two

FloatOn

the worst part of the warcraft movie is that it is directed by Duncan Jones who also directed Moon. which is one of my favorite movies

after warcraft I suspect he won't be getting much work :/

Yeah that's why I didn't work and go to school at the same time. Obviously you don't have a choice though (if you want to do school and continue to have your career)

At least you'll just end up with one of the two

I like making the money that I make at my job so I won't quit. But it is quite a hustle to do both things.

I'm infinitely grateful that I didn't have kids during this time though. There are some people I have class that do the full time work and school thing and have kids. I feel so bad for them.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
the worst part of the warcraft movie is that it is directed by Duncan Jones who also directed Moon. which is one of my favorite movies

after warcraft I suspect he won't be getting much work :/
Doing videogame adaptations is usually a way to say goodbye to your career lol

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Probably due to them not giving a rat's ass about the source material, like Uwe Boll movies.

Also Uwe Boll is the worst director ever!!!
I don't think it's necessarily that. There's actually quite a few reasons as to why so many video game movies just don't work. And it usually either involves taking away the playable dynamic when transferring the game medium to a non-interactive one, or...well...the fact that many of the stories the games have are highly derivative works that have been mined from more popular series. You'd be surprised at how many games have ripped off elements of the Alien franchise if you took a closer look.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
They are publicly traded. Their net income in 2015 was ‎$892 million, this movie cost about $200 million alone including marketing.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. Like, not at all.

zeemumu

But just like WoW, the Horde are the best part, apparently

While the enormity of the undertaking is evident in every frame of the sci-fi medieval-ish action saga, director Duncan Jones manages, for the most part, to keep it from lumbering. With an emphasis on craft over war, the characters are front and center, and those that are partly digital creations are among its most memorable. They have heart.

FloatOn

Lol its not the end of the world. He will probably work on lower budgeted films for a while. If he does better films he may get another chance

I hope so. I guess even the most artistically talented directors want a piece of that hollywood $$$ sometimes

like when Darren Aronofsky made that Noah movie.....

Get Phil Lord & Chris Miller, kings of making shit that really shouldn't work at all turn out amazing, on a video game film

If anyone could do it, it's them

Or Edgar Wright

EDIT:
he had a pic on a skateboard so I hope he's on the cool end of the skating spectrum.

Ask him to do like a sick 180 kickflip or something

Misha

Banned

I mentioned Netflix before, they were willing to give Adam sandler 80 million dollars to make a movie when his films are only profitable due to product placement.

Other 3D animated movies including despicable me and cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2 seem to be in the 50 to 80 million range pre marketing

Also blizzard already has more natural marketing than most Netflix movies even have marketing on top of a marketing budget for games already that they can cross promote.

It would be a way safer bet than the film that did happen (preferably with some external funding ofc) but I guess whatever company who made it was probably just throwing money at the wall and it wasn't a big deal if it failed miserably

Misha

Banned
I don't think it's necessarily that. There's actually quite a few reasons as to why so many video game movies just don't work. And it usually either involves taking away the playable dynamic when transferring the game medium to a non-interactive one, or...well...the fact that many of the stories the games have are highly derivative works that have been mined from more popular series. You'd be surprised at how many games have ripped off elements of the Alien franchise if you took a closer look.
Halo, mass effect, star craft and a lot more have pretty interchangeable plots.
Ancient race that shaped the galaxy is trying to destroy certain life with the species they control which are actually mutated species of other types

zeemumu

I mentioned Netflix before, they were willing to give Adam sandler 80 million dollars to make a movie when his films are only profitable due to product placement.

Other 3D animated movies including despicable me and cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2 seem to be in the 50 to 80 million range pre marketing

Also blizzard already has more natural marketing than most Netflix movies even have marketing on top of a marketing budget for games already that they can cross promote.

It would be a way safer bet than the film that did happen (preferably with some external funding ofc) but I guess whatever company who made it was probably just throwing money at the wall and it wasn't a big deal if it failed miserably

I think Legendary's willing to try anything once. Good or bad, their movies are usually fun to watch.

Still haven't seen Trick 'r Treat. I'll take a look once I find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom