• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I would start with some standalones. A lot of people recommend Killing Joke, I personally think it is overrated and kinda gross.

I would start with like DKR and the Long Halloween.

If you want to get into serial Batman I would start with Snyder's recent run then go back and get some Neal Adams collections.

Oh fuck yes. Somebody else hates The Killing Joke. Its core premise is so laughably implausible. Guy has some money issues because his comedy career isn't working out so instead of returning to his stable job he goes on this extremely dangerous mob-driven chemical robbery? I'm sorry, but that string of events describes no one in their right mind. And if Joker wasn't in his right mind, then it was much more than "one bad day".

And the
Barbara death
is pointless shock value. Grrr.

Well, to be fair I'm not exactly dating dudes ever.

I think my sexuality is just Horny.

Bisexuality isn't "I don't want to date women", but rather, is about what you're sexually attracted to. So if guys and girls both get you hot under the collar, then you're bi.

Doesn't mean you'd have to date them, but you'd definitely bang them, and that's what matters in the definition.

Pau

Found it! Here are the first books bare in mind that this is all before the Nu-52! (so it was all retconned, at least the stuff I care about!) so it won't necessarily help you jump in to the current stuff.

Pre-Robin/First Years:
Batman: Year One. Standard stuff and probably the only Frank Miller on the list. Movie has a good scene with Selina in which their fight is a draw rather than Bruce winning as in the comic.
Alternative origin story: Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. My head canon includes parts of both.
Batman: The Man Who Laughs. If you want a decent introduction to the Joker.
Batman: Snow. Mostly here because it's pretty.
Somewhere here Bruce confronts Joe Chill and pretty much drives him to suicide. (As seen in Grant Morrison's run.)
The Long Halloween. Introduction to the world, villains and one of my faves: Two-Face.
Alternative: BTAS Two-Face Part 1 and 2.
Arkham Asylum A Serious House on Serious Earth. Forget exactly when this takes place but I think it's weird/interesting/different enough despite it's flaws.

The main thing here is that Bruce is on a downward spiral despite everything he's doing for the city. (I also don't care for the whole "Batman makes Gotham worse!" interpretation. I think he makes it different, but probably a net good and he is NOT responsible for the creation of his villains. Except Jason.)

Dick Grasyon as Robin
Dark Victory. Pretty much The Long Halloween retold but introduces Dick so it's worth it. A bit darker take on Dick's introduction.
Alternative/Accompanying: BTAS Robin's Reckoning Part 1 and 2.
Alternative/Accompanying: Batman: Legends Of The Dark Knight #100
Robin: Year One. One of my favorite Batman stories.
Batgirl: Year One. Barbara's origin story.

Of course, there's a bunch of campy stories from before Crisis on Infinite Earths with Dick as Robin. As well as some "flashbacks" that I'm forgetting. So I'd have to go through those again and pick out some standouts for Dick growing up and going to college and then becoming Nightwing. Crosses over with Teen Titans.

Jason as Robin
This is a bit hard because Jason became Robin just as they did the first reboot so you have some weird stories where he's a Dick clone.
Whatever issue his origin story was in.
Alternative: Nightwing: Year One. There's some stuff I don't like about it, some stuff I do.
Whenever he kills that rapist.
A Death in the Family. Really needs to be rewritten because the actual comic is bad but I like some of the stuff that is left out of the flashbacks in the Under the Red Hood movie. (Like his mum finding him and betraying him. That shit's important.)
There's another retelling of Jason's death that I absolutely adore but I always forget the issue. It's some random thing. I need to find it again.

Tim as Robin
A Lonely Place of Dying. Tim's introduction.
Oracle: Year One. Barbara becoming Oracle.

True. I just took ward as adopted since it was basically the same thing.
I always got the feeling that Bruce didn't quite know as much what to do with Dick since it was the first time and he was quite a bit younger so its a fairly different relationship. But I'm not even sure where I get that from :p

Yeah I didn't care much for stuff like killing joke or arkham asylum: a serious house on serious earth and found long Halloween surprisingly underwhelming definitely prefer random stories with robins and batgirls instead
Totally agree. I don't think Bruce ever really expected to be a dad and went through a lot of growing pains with the first kid. I put him as being at least 25 but probably a bit older when he first takes in Dick.

And also agree about stuff like The Killing Joke. Arkham Asylum I think is interesting because of its style and general narrative style but the best stories are the random ones with his kids for sure. :3 I just binge read through every Robin, Nightwing, and Batgirl issue in high school so I can't recall actual issue numbers and there aren't that many trade paperbacks anyways.

Pau

Oh fuck yes. Somebody else hates The Killing Joke. Its core premise is so laughably implausible. Guy has some money issues because his comedy career isn't working out so instead of returning to his stable job he goes on this extremely dangerous mob-driven chemical robbery? I'm sorry, but that string of events describes no one in their right mind. And if Joker wasn't in his right mind, then it was much more than "one bad day".

And the
Barbara death
is pointless shock value. Grrr.
Even worse when you know how DC reacted to it. "Cripple the bitch." And even Alan Moore admitted that it wasn't saying anything interesting anyways.

Jobbs

Banned
So I would start with some standalones. A lot of people recommend Killing Joke, I personally think it is overrated and kinda gross.

I would start with like DKR and the Long Halloween.

If you want to get into serial Batman I would start with Snyder's recent run then go back and get some Neal Adams collections.

Found it! Here are the first books bare in mind that this is all before the Nu-52! (so it was all retconned, at least the stuff I care about!) so it won't necessarily help you jump in to the current stuff.

Pre-Robin/First Years:
Batman: Year One. Standard stuff and probably the only Frank Miller on the list. Movie has a good scene with Selina in which their fight is a draw rather than Bruce winning as in the comic.
Alternative origin story: Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. My head canon includes parts of both.
Batman: The Man Who Laughs. If you want a decent introduction to the Joker.
Batman: Snow. Mostly here because it's pretty.
Somewhere here Bruce confronts Joe Chill and pretty much drives him to suicide. (As seen in Grant Morrison's run.)
The Long Halloween. Introduction to the world, villains and one of my faves: Two-Face.
Alternative: BTAS Two-Face Part 1 and 2.
Arkham Asylum A Serious House on Serious Earth. Forget exactly when this takes place but I think it's weird/interesting/different enough despite it's flaws.

The main thing here is that Bruce is on a downward spiral despite everything he's doing for the city. (I also don't care for the whole "Batman makes Gotham worse!" interpretation. I think he makes it different, but probably a net good and he is NOT responsible for the creation of his villains. Except Jason.)

Dick Grasyon as Robin
Dark Victory. Pretty much The Long Halloween retold but introduces Dick so it's worth it. A bit darker take on Dick's introduction.
Alternative/Accompanying: BTAS Robin's Reckoning Part 1 and 2.
Alternative/Accompanying: Batman: Legends Of The Dark Knight #100
Robin: Year One. One of my favorite Batman stories.
Batgirl: Year One. Barbara's origin story.

Of course, there's a bunch of campy stories from before Crisis on Infinite Earths with Dick as Robin. As well as some "flashbacks" that I'm forgetting. So I'd have to go through those again and pick out some standouts for Dick growing up and going to college and then becoming Nightwing. Crosses over with Teen Titans.

Jason as Robin
This is a bit hard because Jason became Robin just as they did the first reboot so you have some weird stories where he's a Dick clone.
Whatever issue his origin story was in.
Alternative: Nightwing: Year One. There's some stuff I don't like about it, some stuff I do.
Whenever he kills that rapist.
A Death in the Family. Really needs to be rewritten because the actual comic is bad but I like some of the stuff that is left out of the flashbacks in the Under the Red Hood movie. (Like his mum finding him and betraying him. That shit's important.)
There's another retelling of Jason's death that I absolutely adore but I always forget the issue. It's some random thing. I need to find it again.

Tim as Robin
A Lonely Place of Dying. Tim's introduction.
Oracle: Year One. Barbara becoming Oracle.

Totally agree. I don't think Bruce ever really expected to be a dad and went through a lot of growing pains with the first kid. I put him as being at least 25 but probably a bit older when he first takes in Dick.

And also agree about stuff like The Killing Joke. Arkham Asylum I think is interesting because of its style and general narrative style but the best stories are the random ones with his kids for sure. :3 I just binge read through every Robin, Nightwing, and Batgirl issue in high school so I can't recall actual issue numbers and there aren't that many trade paperbacks anyways.

This is awesome, thank you :)

"When he first takes in Dick" come on :p ha ha

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Even worse when you know how DC reacted to it. "Cripple the bitch." And even Alan Moore admitted that it wasn't saying anything interesting anyways.

It's scummy.

I will say however, Barbara as Oracle was a way more interesting and important character than her Batgirl.

As much as I like the Burnside stuff, I think Cass and Steph were way more interesting Batgirls.

Also, JOBSS!

CHecks out the Batwoman books, they are all fucking brilliant and beautiful and so creative.
latest

Pau

It's scummy.

I will say however, Barbara as Oracle was a way more interesting and important character than her Batgirl.

As much as I like the Burnside stuff, I think Cass and Steph were way more interesting Batgirls.
Yup, agree. Did you read the Oracle: Year One issue? I think it does a good job of deconstructing what was fucked up with The Killing Joke.

I really dislike that they've de-aged Babs and sidelined Cass and Steph. I know they brought them back eventually but I dunno. :(

Misha

Banned
Yup, agree. Did you read the Oracle: Year One issue? I think it does a good job of deconstructing what was fucked up with The Killing Joke.

I really dislike that they've de-aged Babs and sidelined Cass and Steph. I know they brought them back eventually but I dunno. :(

You know with rebirth trying to retcon most of the new52 they didn't bother making Barbara oracle again. They had the perfect opportunity

Ohhhhh yeah it matches your tag. Irony and stuff :)

Misha

Banned
I actually never got into batwoman. Always hated other versions of the same hero unless that hero wasn't there anymore. I know she's not like that but that's how it seemed to me

Jobbs

Banned
i've been sitting here playing with the little spark effects that come off this monster for like... over 2 hours

I have no concept of time management. I just work on things and then work on something else. I don't know how to tell people timelines and stick to them.

Pau

You know with rebirth trying to retcon most of the new52 they didn't bother making Barbara oracle again. They had the perfect opportunity

Ohhhhh yeah it matches your tag. Irony and stuff :)
Boooo.

Is Cass back to being Bruce's daughter at least? Did they fix Tim?

Misha

Banned
i've been sitting here playing with the little spark effects that come off this monster for like... over 2 hours

I have no concept of time management. I just work on things and then work on something else. I don't know how to tell people timelines and stick to them.

A lot of your issues are ones I have. Interesting.
Boooo.

Is Cass back to being Bruce's daughter at least? Did they fix Tim?

Haven't read enough to know tbh. I just know the premise behind rebirth. Its super early in anyway. Primary thing they seemed to fix is Wally (it seems like we're getting both versions of Wally from what I saw). I think they just did the rebirth intro comic and then one for title so far
Seems tim and cases are in detective comics which I've ben planning on reading

Pau

Haven't read enough to know tbh. I just know the premise behind rebirth. Its super early in anyway. Primary thing they seemed to fix is Wally (it seems like we're getting both versions of Wally from what I saw). I think they just did the rebirth intro comic and then one for title so far
Seems tim and cases are in detective comics which I've ben planning on reading
Let me know. :O

:mad:

Digivolving and Masaru are also involved, so any comic hero without psychic powers would get rekt. EVEN MAGNETO.
Nah, Magneto can control pretty much everything. Really doubt Digimon are somehow not affected by the electromagnetic spectrum. :p

FUME5

I don't think anything can make me roll my eyes harder than people debating which fictional character would beat which fictional character.

FUME5

Magneto controls more than just metal. :mad:

I've actually been writing all the fiction all along so there!

Yeah, so in your universe Magneto wins, in Beefs universe a fucking Digimon wins, in Jobbs universe Quicksilver wins and in my universe I don't write fanfiction.

Jobbs

Banned
Quicksilver or The Flash would always win in any universe if they actually stay true to their internal logic

Watching The Flash
(who sometimes can run so fast he travels time) struggle to dodge ice blasts from a gun because the fight called for it in that fucking awful CW show was painful

Misha

Banned
Let me know. :O

Just read the first two detective comic comics post-rebirth. Idk how it was at the end of new-52 but cassandra is orphan and Stephanie is spoiler. They each got set sup with apartments by Bruce but that's all that was really mentioned on that front. Bruce gave a bit of a speech to tim about how he's needed as robin and tim seemed to agree.

For the premise though it seems to be about a bat team led by batwoman and helped by batman with orphan, spoiler, red robin, and a former villain. So for they're just preparing for whatever is going to happen
Quicksilver or The Flash would always win in any universe if they actually stay true to their internal logic

Watching The Flash
(who sometimes can run so fast he travels time) struggle to dodge ice blasts from a gun because the fight called for it in that fucking awful CW show was painful

Flash needs no logic. Speed force travels past the speed of plot :p

Jobbs

Banned
What's the name of the little girl in GOT who runs a house and is smarter than everyone else?

She's my favorite. If anything ever happens to her I'm quitting the show

Pau

Just read the first two detective comic comics post-rebirth. Idk how it was at the end of new-52 but cassandra is orphan and Stephanie is spoiler. They each got set sup with apartments by Bruce but that's all that was really mentioned on that front. Bruce gave a bit of a speech to tim about how he's needed as robin and tim seemed to agree.

For the premise though it seems to be about a bat team led by batwoman and helped by batman with orphan, spoiler, red robin, and a former villain. So for they're just preparing for whatever is going to happen
Okay her name is Orphan Bruce you know what to do.

Jobbs

Banned
Finally watching It Follows omg hold me

best movie ever. friend of a friend did the music in it btw (disasterpeace)

Okay her name is Orphan Bruce you know what to do.

Pau I really picture you pretty much exactly like your avatar, raining down the postage from your batman shirt :D

Lyanna motherfucking Mormont

Jorah's cousin and the lady of Bear Island.

yes. she's the best. if the evil writers of that show ever hurt her I'm truly out

FUME5

We're being silly; you don't have to be mean about it.

As far as I know you do not live in a universe where Magneto actually exists. Unless... D:

Hmm.

*begins plot synopsis for Magneto and Me*

"Dan and Magneto are two 30 something roommates still searching for their place in life. Dan is a straight talking environmental consultant looking for love but who must learn to love himself first, while his roommate Magneto engages in constant Tinder hookups to mask a deeper wound. Together, with a little help from their friends, they might just be able to make it work."

Pau

Pau I really picture you pretty much exactly like your avatar, raining down the postage from your batman shirt :D
Kark thought it was a drawing someone made of me which made me really happy because it's actually Helena Wayne. :3

Hmm.

*begins plot synopsis for Magneto and Me*

"Dan and Magneto are two 30 something roommates still searching for their place in life. Dan is a straight talking environmental consultant looking for love but who must learn to love himself first, while his roommate Magneto engages in constant Tinder hookups to mask a deeper wound. Together, with a little help from their friends, they might just be able to make it work."
Can I be Magneto's love interest? (Don't tell Kark.)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This has happened

13494996_1606562426024141_1699933879122817562_n.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom