• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to go ahead and starting reading the Parasyte manga and I have to say the female characters are much, much better. From how they look to how they act just... lol. Also the show missed a critical moment that explains why Kana finds Shinichi so interesting.

Glad to hear, I was doubting at this point how I missed some flaws when I read the manga, as I remembered it a bit better than the anime.

What's the critical moment? Write it in a spoiler.

Giovanni's Island

Then the uncle is somehow involved is the father being detained (they never clarified it, in fact this subplot ended here, a pity).

The uncle gave up the father to save himself from being arrested for smuggling.

Summary: idiot kid character do idiot things, one get killed, tearful drama, credits. The postwar setting is really a bit of window dressing, if you are going to have a character being idiot, he can die for it in any kind of setting.

So not so dissimilar from Grave of the Fireflies. And I have to disagree about the setting; the whole point was exploring the culture clash and then the resulting tragedy that arises from conflicting impluses.

Blusby

So I decided to go ahead and starting reading the Parasyte manga and I have to say the female characters are much, much better. From how they look to how they act just... lol. Also the show missed a critical moment that explains why Kana finds Shinichi so interesting.

Were we reading the same series?

The uncle gave up the father to save himself from being arrested for smuggling.

Well, it could have implied it but I'm not that sure, it didn't give me the feeling the uncle was that scummy. More like he was the cause for the arrest, but accidentally.

So not so dissimilar from Grave of the Fireflies. And I have to disagree about the setting; the whole point was exploring the culture clash and then the resulting tragedy that arises from conflicting impluses.

Yeah, no dissimilar to Grave of Fireflies. Except Grave of Fireflies execution, it resulted to me a more beautiful movie, and better directed.

The culture clash could have been interesting if the movie would have focused on it, but it was just a bit looked upon. For five minutes. As I said, the first part of the movie was the one I liked more, and I wish it would stayed there, exploring said culture clash in a bittersweet story after the war.

-Minsc-

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying 1-13

This was a treat. There was a surprisingly large amount of substance packed in those vignettes.

selector infected WIXOSS 01

XqYmCTu.jpg

So this is about a card game right? I can see where the Madoka comparisons come form. The imagery in her dream is comparable to the witch labyrinths. Evil cat things are replaced with talking cardboard. The selectors fight each other in card battles to earn any wish they want to be granted.

Yuzuki had an innocent enough wish. She just wants to be with the one she loves. I guess a little wish and magic never hurt anyone to get the one you love to reciprocate.

... Well then.

Thoraxes

Good.
THANK YOU BASED XEBEC!

http://a.pomf.se/rpcmni.webm

This adaption of the Yui cellphone/honey was outstanding.

Honestly, this may very well be one of the best instances of an already stellar manga chapter being improved in almost every way for its anime counterpart.

And considering this was originally done by our lord and savior Yabuki, its really saying something.

And we still have another OVA and Darkness Season 2 coming next year! Yabuki and XEBEC are saving anime, redeeming the anime industry and spreading joy and world peace to all!

I think the anime handled it pretty well though. I see some people saying what a joke female characters are in this show but I don't see what the problem is.

Kana was deluded in love. She knew her sensing powers lead her to different people but she wanted so hard to believe that her power was a fateful connection to Shinichi, that the two would always be connected. Making up lies and rituals foolishly thinking it would somehow work......as migi said it was inevitable.

A quick question for people who know more about this stuff than I do. I've just finished watching The Devil is a Part-timer anime and I very much enjoyed it. I just looked into the manga and it doesn't appear to be as far ahead as what I just watched. Did the anime take from just the light novels for its adaptation or did it kinda do its own thing in the latter half?
The anime adapted the light novels .
what was adapted were book 1 & 2.

We have 6 times more content ready to be animated if someone wants too.
this kinda explain why most of the plots points about ente isla are glossed over or not solved for this 13 eps.

the anime has no fillers and doesnt go an original ending 90% of those were in the books

Blasty

Gundam Build Fighters 2

"Are you disobeying me?" Wow, in anime in general, who do these student council people think they are?

robin2

Shin Sekai Yori / From The New World (Rewatch)

[...]

One thing I never understood was that a lot of people said the show took a dip in the last arc. I personally thought it was the best arc in the show.
Shun suddenly reappearing and talking to Saki was a weird plot hole but aside from that, from the timeskip until the end,
the show is just one amazing ride.

I don't think it's a plot hole; just ambiguous and open to interpretation.
This is mine:
It's explained that the holy barrier is there to drive the fantasies of the subconscious -and their effects of reality- outside of the village. Tokyo not only sits outside it, but it is also an unknown landscape filled with bizarre things. "In this place there could be Shun too": this is what the subconscious of Saki started believing at that moment, and, consequentially, it materialized the "ghost of shun".

VRMN

This is probably going to be a stream of consciousness post, for better and worse. I'm conflicted on the show, you see. I recognize it as being a very well animated (if in an unorthodox style) series that told a story about its characters that was pretty interesting. The characters had some depth to them and it was definitely about more than just the sport the story centers around. It's one of the best sports-focused anime I've ever seen, if not the best.

But I still don't really care about ping pong and found myself drifting out of the show when matches were going on. I liked the characters a lot, but the show in its later stages drifted away a bit from show, don't tell and was increasingly compelled to speak out loud its characters' motivations in an occasionally ham fisted way. I felt Kazama's character suffered for this because they kind of just infodumped ahead of his match with Peco in episode 10. I can't say it was done that badly, though, and it might be the only storytelling complaint I have with the series in general.

The focus of the show was still mostly Peco and Smile, which was, fittingly, a Hero's Journey for Peco. He was pretty uncomplicated, but that was kind of the point. He just loved the game and that was and is his strength. The one thing that had me bracing for the worst, the foreshadowing about playing while injured, didn't pan out the way I was fearing, so the biggest bullet the series had to dodge, it did dodge. It still turned into an echo of the past, but not in quite the same way I was thinking it would.

In the end, it was still a tale of friends united through the sport they both love, even if they love it in different ways, for different reasons. My disinterest in the sport causes it to miss in some places where it should have hit, because I didn't really care who won or lost at any point. That took out a lot of the drama, because while the characters cared at least most of the time, and their caring was the source of much of the plot, I just never got to that point. It's a problem I have with most sport anime and this was not immune to it. That keeps it from being a masterpiece in my eyes. It doesn't stop it from being one of the best shows of 2014. 9/10

TUSR

Banned
Oy!

We watched it together!

Haha, was it a unique experience for you too?

Is this how we're judging the quality of anime now?

To answer the question Black Rock Shooter is a unique experience that filled my life with color. A must watch.

I vaguely remember your series impressions, are you sure it's a must watch for the right reasons?

imaishi klk storyboards sure do explain a lot

B55Vr3ECYAAygdP.jpg:large

Hey I think I know what this is from.

If you honestly think that the length of a piece of art determines it's quality I can't even begin to understand your thought process. That's a staggeringly reductionist way of consuming any piece of culture.

Well with that line of thinking we might as well start rating PV's.

Of course a length of a piece matters. A single awesome 30 second scene cannot be favourably compared to a one hour feature film. I think that 5 minute shorts don't have the time to give any real narrative, music or animation style any justice. I don't think the list should be extended just so that can get on.

Jex

Well with that line of thinking we might as well start rating PV's.

Of course a length of a piece matters. A single awesome 30 second scene cannot be favourably compared to a one hour feature film. I think that 5 minute shorts don't have the time to give any real narrative, music or animation style any justice. I don't think the list should be extended just so that can get on.

I just don't understand how this argument works. How long does an anime need to be before it can have any 'narrative' or 'thematic' weight? 8 minutes? 11 minutes? What's the magic number? Don't you realise how ridiculous this line of reasoning is?

You know, I think if a painting isn't big enough they shouldn't put it in a museum. If a painting is too small, it can't really have any theme or artistic value at all.

Thoraxes

Sound! Euphonium staff:

Director: Tatsuya Ishihara
Series Composition: Jukki Hanada
Series Director: Naoko Yamada
Character Design: Shoko Ikeda
Animation Production: Kyoto Animation

I'm okay with this. Was secretly hoping for Yamada because of the premise lol.

Edit: If Kyoani animates the fingerings correctly for the Euphonium, I will shit myself. And i'm qualified to know if they're all correct relative to pitch too. It's the one thing i'll be watching for the most, for all of the instruments.

fertygo

Stockholm syndrome alert.

Vito

Banned
I'm sorry you don't like him, but he was the first source I saw for the information. Blame Branduil for retweeting him if you wish!

Because he's clueless and his list is incomplete.

Complete list from kyouray, who at least has a clue about staff

Series director: Naoko Yamada
Director: Tatsuya Ishihara
Series Configuration: Jukki Hanada
Character Design: Shouko Ikeda
Director of Photography: Kazuya Takao
Color Design: Akiyo Takeda
Background: Mutsuo Shinohara
Musical Instrument Design: Hiroyuki Takahashi
Music: Akito Matsuda
Sound director : Yota Tsuruoka

Yuki Yuna Is A Hero 7

They really brought a wheelchair into the hot spring? lol. Also continue to sexualize the girl that cant use her legs. Nice. /s

D-Gray Man Episode 52-59

The anime just got a whole lot interesting and better. The Fallen
was introduced whom are Exorcists that have been rejected by their Innocence or to be more precise by God.
This information added a bit more mystery towards The Order on their earlier experiments.

Seeing Suman's backstory and actions leading up to him
becoming a Fallen
honestly made me tear up a bit.
I mean he sacrificed his honor, his pride by giving information on other Exorcists. Just in order to live to see his family again. Add to the fact the only reason he became an Exorcist was to aid his ill daughter to pay for her medical bills. Shows that he's willing to sacrifice everything for his family. Then to see Suman survive at the end all due to Allen's help made me happy, till that shit with the hat from the Noah Clan destroyed Suman's body.

When Lenalee saw Allen suffer through the Hologram of Timcampy, it killed me.
I felt bad for Lenalee as she thinks Allen is dead while he's actually alive.
Seeing a depressed Lenalee isn't great.

Anyways we have Allen in the China base recuperating in order to get back his Innocence. I really hope he gets back to his group especially Lenalee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom