• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Log Horizon S2 - 4 :

It honestly feels a bit jarring to go from the focus on the raid environment and the strategies involved on that front to a more slower paced look into the world of Akatsuki and Akihabara during Christmas. And Akatsuki's shift to a sort of lost puppy waiting for her master mentality along with a growing inferiority complex while comparing herself to a middle schooler of all things was pretty ... interesting as well. Wasn't really until the end of the episode that something interesting happened.

Not sure if it was confirmed at some earlier time but it seems Ore Monogatari is going to be a Madhouse production.

B569JcGCIAAsE4B.jpg

Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society

I feel like SSS would have been better as a third season or at least a series of OVAs. The movie tries to cram so much information with so little screen time and it leaves a bit to be desired. For example, you'd think Togusa
getting prosthetics
would be kind of a big deal but it just has a one-line mention from Batou and that's it. That said, like most of Stand Alone Complex, this was a fun watch in spite of that and the quality of the animation on Blu-Ray makes me wish Manga would bring the BD for the TV series over here in NA.

Clov

That said, like most of Stand Alone Complex, this was a fun watch in spite of that and the quality of the animation on Blu-Ray makes me wish Manga would bring the BD for the TV series over here in NA.

I'm sure a lot of people want that, but Manga just doesn't seem interested. If it were to happen, I'd guess another company would have to make an agreement with Manga to release them.

You could always look at the AOTY threads we have. The last two years specifically have been pretty good:
AOTY 2012
AOTY 2013

It's incredibly good, if a bit divisive.
You should probably get a MAL account and start listing what you've watched, plan to watch, dropped etc. The site has a great comparison feature, so you can see how similar your tastes are and check out other shows you might like.

For what it's worth, we seem pretty compatible. Have a look at my list, you might find something interesting: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/goody2shoes
Much obliged with the resources! I'll definitely consider getting a MAL account sometime in the near future once I finally amass all my current noteworthy recommendations in a master document. Off the top of my head, I'm currently considering these titles:
  • Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (2011)
  • Attack on Titan (2013)
  • Baccano! (2007)
  • Clannad (2007 - 2009)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (2006 - 2008)
  • Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (2005)
  • The Garden of Sinners (2007 - 2013)
  • Knights of Sidonia (2014 - 2015)
  • Last Exile (2003 - 2012)
  • Mushishi (2006 - 2014)
  • Psycho-Pass (2012 - 2015)
  • Soul Eater (2009)
  • Trigun (1998)
You mean he should get a Hummingbird account so not only is he part of the Cool Kidz Club™ but it also gives him the option to become a Hummingbird Pro member!
I honestly never even heard of the website until I took a glimpse into this thread. It appears to be quite reminiscent of MUBI based on the page features. I have an account with Letterboxd for organizing my general cinema taste, and I'm a bit more inclined toward MyAnimeList with their manga section and extended database, but I'll definitely keep the site in mind for future reference.

Great list. Good taste.
Thank you very much, cajunator! I hope others will find the list as appealing for those stumbling for recommendations.

Should add that it's likely not a

Damn thats actually really cool if true and totally makes sense. I was wondering what would happen
to the Hero system considering the threat still exists and always will. The name of the show kind of implies that as well now that I think about it.

Stupid Yuna :/ At least she technically cant die and wont have to suffer any disabilities herself.
Kind of respect the ending a lot more now learning this
than earlier when I thought it was a total cop out.

Mature

Much obliged with the resources! I'll definitely consider getting a MAL account sometime in the near future once I finally amass all my current noteworthy recommendations in a master document. Off the top of my head, I'm currently considering these titles:
  • Baccano! (2007)
  • Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (2005)
  • Trigun (1998)
These are good choices.

Baccano is a must watch for everybody and I'm still happy I was able to snag a limited edition blu-ray set from the US as they seem to have become hard to get in general

Jex

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 01

Pretty good start. I hope this has a rich universe, a la mass effect or star wars/trek. These enemy alien seem to have similar vehicle architecture to humans.. in before they're just different colored humans.
I like the concept of humanity having to seek shelter underground. Taking that jet fighter from the hangar might not have been the brightest idea, but muh revenge!
Okita looks pretty bad ass. Also dem nurses. It feels like an adventure is about to begin, heres hoping it will be grand.

It's too late for AOTY 2013 voting!
Ping Pong 1-11

Damn. Undoubtedly one of the best anime ever made.

Good.

Jex

I'm glad this thread reminded me that Wonder existed. Just finished watching it, and well... it's wonderful! The animation is so fluid, and the soundtrack is lovely! Gives everything a very lighthearted feeling. I love how colorful everything is, and how creative the transitions are. I also loved how everything sped up towards the end of the short, becoming more hectic. It's just pure psychedelic fun! To me, it's works like this that show the full potential of animation. It's a work of pure imagination from the director, and it's an absolute joy to watch.

Good. Remember, for those having trouble finding it, that's WONDER by indepdenet animator Mirai Mizue.
Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro 8

#toeipls
Yeah, they clearly spent their big budget on Sailor Moon Crystal.

yami4ct

Finally finished the last couple episodes of Mushi-Shi Season 1 and watched the special as well as the first 3 episodes of Season 2. God dang this show is incredible. I'm really shocked to see such emotional story telling in an anthology format. The show has to rebuild itself each week, yet still manages to grow the emotional attachments to characters it needs to do its job. Really shows the strength of the story telling. Last episode of Season 1 was probably the weakest I've seen so far. Seemed like a bit of a disjointed mess. First episode I really didn't love. Special was absolutely amazing, though, so all was forgiven after that. Just an amazing 40 minutes of television. Really interested to see if they can top that or Ginko's past episode from S1.

Ping Pong 1-11

Damn. Undoubtedly one of the best anime ever made.

Seeing this talked about so much here and in the AOTY really reinforces that I need to check it out.

faridmon

Am I the only one who thinks Shirabako is not that amazing?
Its good, entertaining with good characters (except for Tarou because fuck that guy), but its yet another slice of Life Anime with nice production. It never did anything special for it to be considered the GOAT Anime. In fact, some episodes felt like fillers and never made any impression on me whatsoever.

Ping Pong, However Is the best Anime ever conceived!

faridmon

Gotta say I'm pretty surprised.

Director being Ishihara and Hanada on scripts are huge red flags but whatever. I'm really apathetic to this. Feels like the studio is going back to the well.

First, they need stop adapting weak source materials. The likes of Amagi Brilliant park and Chunyobi aren't exactly known fir their good storylines.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shirobako is not slice of life. There was a clear and explicit arc that followed the production of a specific show that provided a narrative through line.

Am I the only one who thinks Shirabako is not that amazing?
Its good, entertaining with good characters (except for Tarou because fuck that guy), but its yet another slice of Life Anime with nice production. It never did anything special for it to be considered the GOAT Anime. In fact, some episodes felt like fillers and never made any impression on me whatsoever.

Ping Pong, However Is the best Anime ever conceived!

I only watched the first two episodes. Well done, but It felt to me too much like real life: the anime.
I don't think every anime has to be about fantasy, dragons and laser and giant mechs, of course, but seeing a story about people working (the fact the work itself is anime is less important you may think of), having problems with a coworker because he doesn't do his job well, having a boss which doesn't manage well the projects, being always late in the schedule of the projects and having to rush things, having to do crunch...
Well, it's all passed by the filter of anime production but if you dig the core issues, that's basically every office-worker everyday life. Which includes myself. Except they add discussions about moe and they invest way too much in a silly magical girl anime :p.

Still, I'm tempted to see how it has advanced in later episodes, if it has found something more unique and idiosyncratic and interesting.

Nagi no Asukara - 22

Only 5 minutes in but at this point its clear that Manaka has some kind of memory loss and/or some weirdly childish behavior that wasn't there before...why can't there be some happiness and catharsis already D:

Great show though, am really glad I actually picked this up before the AOTY voting is over.

In 5 years time people will be complaining about feet ruining anime, noting how they didn't have to deal with this in the 90s

In 15 years time people will be complaining about what supplanted feet and cite Otaking's 5-Toe Teikoku as an example of the good ol' days.

Hehe

Off the top of my head, I'm currently considering these titles:
  • Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (2011)
  • Clannad (2007 - 2009)

Watch those two. I'd say watch Kanon 2006 before Clannad, but that's just me though.

Pooya

FSN UBW 12

This is totally the same Saber from Fate/Zero, totally, lolz.

Pretty good fights, for the first time since Berserker episode this wasn't boring as dirt, even talk talk bits were better because finally things were moving forward a bit. Second half will be far more watchable with Gilgamesh and Kirei more involved and there will be more time for battles and far less for chitchat and bad characters. Maybe it would be good time for 'droppers' to jump back, there is little to no need to catch up on the previous episodes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom