• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Log Horizon s2 13

Much better bridging episode than expected, some darkness and serious matters to surround the fluff. Next week looks like it's going to be mad hype though.

Encouragement of Climb s2 05

Cute but contrived, I guess. Comedy was pretty on-point though.

BluWacky

Wonder

FINALLY got around to watching this. Interesting and creative and all that - there's not much to say other than it's an excellent piece of independent animation. It's of course not what most people look for when they're watching anime, but it remains excellent animation nonetheless.

I note that, unsurprisingly, it has government funding. I suppose that's the only way someone like Mirai Mizue can afford to create things like this.

How on earth do you bridge the gap between this kind of animation and commercial anime? While it's clearly possible - otherwise Masaaki Yuasa wouldn't get any work, or the Shinya Ohiras of this world - but even recognisably gifted animators in the commercial sector are often not as visually inventive as this. I was thinking about this because of the Animator Expo shorts that Khara is producing; while they're well animated in that there are lots of frames, interesting motion etc., there's not really much of a way to comment on individual flair because what they're actually animating is either someone else's ideas or just pedestrian. Perhaps it's showcasing the skills they need to succeed in the modern industry but it would be nice to see more ideas.

PS I hope that all of you voting for shorts in AOTY haven't forgotten Paulette's Chair!

I just don't understand how this argument works. How long does an anime need to be before it can have any 'narrative' or 'thematic' weight? 8 minutes? 11 minutes? What's the magic number? Don't you realise how ridiculous this line of reasoning is?

You know, I think if a painting isn't big enough they shouldn't put it in a museum. If a painting is too small, it can't really have any theme or artistic value at all.

So a 1 second song and a 3 minute song have the same artistic value? The argument works both ways.

/XX/

Heh, that's from the french compilation right?

I started it yesterday night. This night I should finish it.
But which one exactly? This one made by Marco de Blois, perhaps? I've been following Alexis Hunot after seeing another list he prepared for ARTE this year, and I'm glad his opinion is well valued and featured on this other one.

And precisely yesterday (December, 27) Mr. Hunot linked on his personal 'blog' (http://www.zewebanim.com/blog/) to a recent and very interesting interview with Isao Takahata, where Mr. Takahata mentions again his willingness to make yet another film, even if he isn't able to complete it in the end:

Immersed in Movies: Isao Takahata Talks 'The Tale of the Princess Kaguya' Swan Song | Animation Scoop said:
Bill Desowitz: You've discussed retirement but do you have another film you'd like to make?

Isao Takahata: I do have a plan for a film that I desire to make, but I am now 79-years-old. If I still have the physical stamina, will, and mental powers left in me, and there are people who will invest in it, a producer who will manage it all, and if I am blessed with the kind of collaborators I had on this project, I would like to make another film. But this would require a miracle, so when I consider whether it is possible or impossible, I think it is more likely to be impossible.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/animatio...ale-of-the-princess-kaguya-swan-song-20141223

That producer call-out... wouldn't Mr. Nishimura be enough to completely fulfil Toshio Suzuki's position? Too busy with another project?

OMG GUYS GIGGUK MADE A VIDEO! HE IS ALIVE HE IS ALIVE! PRAISE THE LORD!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jpA0DEGEQtM

And it is glorious.
Seeing such enthusiasm about a reviewer from YouTube made me think for a moment that Grumpy Jii-san was back...
from the dead. :'-(

Hi-sCool! Seha Girls 09

jfWVFnc.jpg

The most ad-like episode so far.

Narag

Shirobako is not slice of life. There was a clear and explicit arc that followed the production of a specific show that provided a narrative through line.

Erroneously labeling everything Slice of Life will be the next big thing.

PS I hope that all of you voting for shorts in AOTY haven't forgotten Paulette's Chair!

I can confirm I totally forgotten about it. But thanks for the reminder, let's see if it can enter somehow...

I think this year has been stronger in the movie / ova / shorts category than in the series category.

PS and I will remind people that Mushishi not only had a very solid second season in tv, it also aired the very good Sun-Eating shade OVA in Jan 4th 2014. So I expect seeing it in your lists.

But which one exactly? This one made by Marco de Blois, perhaps? I've been following Alexis Hunot after seeing another list he prepared for ARTE this year, and I'm glad his opinion is well valued and featured on this other one.

This one
And second part

. List of Films: BELUGA Shin Hashimoto (2011) SOUGIYA TO INU Shin Hashimoto (2010) 663114 Isamu Hirabayashi (2011) COLUMBOS Kawai + Okamura (2012) MODERN NO.2 Mirai Mizue (2011) TATAMP Mirai Mizue (2011) FUTON Yoriko Mizusiri (2012) KAPPO Yoriko Mizusiri (2006) HAND SOAP Kei Oyama (2008) DREAMS Keiichi Tanaami, Nobuhiro Aihara (2011) RED COLORED BRIDGE Keiichi Tanaami (2012) PIKA PIKA Takeshi Nagata, Kasue Monno / Company Tochka (2006) MAZE de Takeshi Nagata, Kasue Monno / Company Tochka (2012) GURETO RABITTO Atsushi Wada (2012) HARU NO SHIKUMI Atsushi Wada (2010)

List of Films: MIDORI-KO de Keita Kurosaka (2010), MY FACE de Keita Kurosaka (2005), NINJA & SOLDIER de Isamu Hirabayashi (2012), AIRY ME de Yoko Kuno (2013), WONDER de Mirai Mizue (2014), AND AND de Mirai Mizue (2011), SNOW HUT de Yoriko Mizusiri (2013) & IN A PIG'S EYE de Atsushi Wada (2010). APANTALLADO/ADJUDICADO EL: Festival Internacional De la Película De Berlín, ...The Independent Japanese Animation (Volume 2) ( MIDORI-KO / MY FACE / NINJA & SOLDIER / AIRY ME / WONDER / AND AND / KAMAKURA (SNOW HUT) / WAKARANAI BUTA (IN A PIG'S EYE)

My AOTY list is complete. All that remains is to do a bit of a write up for the last four. Rail Wars! will finally get the respect it deserves.

~wan

Narag

Shirobako 2

Despite the drama intertwined with it, I found myself more interested in the audio production side of things as I'd never really considered that part of the process. The rest just seemed whatever, at least until they settled on Arupin's character and things took a turn for the hilarious..I have some concern that' I'll be enamored with the creative process to the point that I don't really sympathize with the characters going forward but we'll see.

FS/N UBW

You know, apart from the all the flaws I already picked in the previous episodes with the setup, the characters and the writing, this is feeling like... too small. The battle for the Grail is feeling small, while in F/Z the way the changed povs sometimes to different Masters and different Servants all with different personalities made it feel bigger.
Here, at least for this first part, it focused too much on Shirou relation with Rin and Archer and with Caster as the evil bad boss to beat. Berserk and Lancer didn't appear again since their first fight, his masters haven't had any protagonism, Rider died super soon, etc.

Hastati

FSN UBW 12

I've really been enjoying this show coming right off of Fate Zero. I understand a lot of the complaints, but personally it's been a joy and a great contrast to its prequel. I think I started watching it the day after I finally finished Zero, and it's nice to have a sense of silly idealism and hope compared to the despair and brutality of Zero. I definitely like it a lot more than the first F/SN anime.

I agree that it feels small in scope, but I still like the slower buildup of this season. Maybe I'm too much of a fanboy, I don't know, it's just enjoyable watching their interactions, and I really like the peaceful slice of life segments that focus on the human and unbroken daily lives of our characters (whereas Zero was just a cluster from the very beginning). If I wasn't already a fan of the universe and especially Rin, I think I'd have a different perspective. That being said, the first half of this episode was just pure gold for me, and the second half made me wish I could time-slip through the next 4 months.

e_i

Celestial Method episode 13

HORRAY!
Interesting animation style at the end.
And damn Shione is hot in those clothes.

Midonin

Celestial Method 13 + Final Thoughts

I love anime like this and will admit as much, so this one was going to be something I looked forward to from the day it debuted. Some drama and people making rash decisions, sure, but that's what makes people human. To recover and learn from those mistakes. It had a really great atmosphere to it, and Noel was one of the cutest characters of the season. One of the most pleasant shows of the season (but not the most pleasant, though that's also on today). While the genre is hardly unique to Japan, the way it was presented here felt very anime-like, in a good way, and the way the final shots of the show were drawn was pretty cool.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I need the 2015 winter schedule. I think there's a lot of good stuff. Especially since I have quite a few continuations from this year that are badass.

Hastati

So what did you guys think of Amagi Brilliant Park? Just about to start watching it, KyoAni has been pretty hit or miss for awhile but it looks kinda interesting...worth the investment?

So what did you guys think of Amagi Brilliant Park? Just about to start watching it, KyoAni has been pretty hit or miss for awhile but it looks kinda interesting...worth the investment?

Apparently it ended up being decent as long as you don't have high expectations for the studio or the show. Unfortunately many of us are hoping to see another show of theirs that reaches the heights of Hyouka, but like Icarus KyoAni flew too close to the sun.

Well it's the 2nd best KyoAni show post-K-on!!, but that's about as faint as praise can get.

Defuser

If you like curvy babelicious booty ass boob trash shows then its right for you.

Meguro

Banned
So after not having internet access for like 3 weeks, I decided that the first thing to do besides catch up on all the still running stuff this season was to finally watch the first 2 Kara no Kyoukai movies. I have some friends who were getting on my nerves urging me to watch them since I love playing as Ryougi in Melty and blabla.

So ahm, why are these things revered? I´ve never seen something that confusing and boring as that second movie. The first one was fine, but damn that second movie made me stop and it´s killing any desire to watch the third one.

it's shit.
but its a less smelly shit, and when i mean less, i mean a tiny bit.

Narag

So after not having internet access for like 3 weeks, I decided that the first thing to do besides catch up on all the still running stuff this season was to finally watch the first 2 Kara no Kyoukai movies. I have some friends who were getting on my nerves urging me to watch them since I love playing as Ryougi in Melty and blabla.

So ahm, why are these things revered? I´ve never seen something that confusing and boring as that second movie. The first one was fine, but damn that second movie made me stop and it´s killing any desire to watch the third one.

They're not. They're bad Type-Moon trash aside from the fifth movie which is regarded as an outlier in quality.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

It was okay. The comedy is hit and miss. The fanservice is there. Average when compared to other Kyoani show

Theonik

Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro 9

Pacing on this has gone from deliberate to glacial and I'm beginning to fear there's actual danger to my health in this suicide pact with madpierrot.
It wouldn't be a very good suicide pact otherwise now would it.

sonicmj1

The third movie is somewhat better than the first, and the fifth is incredibly good.

Outside of that, I dunno.

Defuser

My god that Sound! Euphonium PV.....

Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on!Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on! Please don't be like K-on!

Beefeater

Banned
Much obliged with the resources! I'll definitely consider getting a MAL account sometime in the near future once I finally amass all my current noteworthy recommendations in a master document.
I recommend Taiga. When you have it, all your list-making will be easier than using Notepad or whatever, and it will track your progress through each anime you watch. Not sure I would even bother with MAL without a program like Taiga, to be honest. It's great.

Off the top of my head, I'm currently considering these titles:
  • Attack on Titan (2013)
  • Baccano! (2007)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (2006 - 2008)
  • The Garden of Sinners (2007 - 2013) = Beautiful and pretentious
  • Knights of Sidonia (2014 - 2015) = Would be visually impressive if it wasn't animated at 2fps, otherwise generic and mediocre.
  • Mushishi (2006 - 2014)
  • Trigun (1998)

I've seen the above and would avoid the bolded. Underlined are probably the best objectively. AoT and CG are very flawed but can be super entertaining if they click with you. Trigun is ok.

Let me offer some recs in no particular order from other sides of the spectrum. IMO these are undeniable classics. For all I know you've seen them all, but eh.
Shows:
  • Kino's Journey
  • Welcome to the NHK
  • Tatami Galaxy
  • Mononoke
  • Giant Robo
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena
Movies
  • Death Billiards
  • Tokyo Godfathers
  • Redline

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 11

Hm... Since he's so young now he could be considered one of those 5000 year old demons people speak about in anime? ;P

It's an episode of Kokkuri-san babies with the theme song from Halloween.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom