• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yui

truly impressive. the only other pink koala I know of is in Noozles.

Hunter x Hunter had one too.
dsgdfsgsdgfdgfipur1.jpg
Meh... I was hoping CR would get it.

Edit: lol, too slow

Oh no, really? How come?
Don't listen .. it's a show that is good and that you need to make your own opinion.

The ending was divisive but it can't be helped considering the premise.
So like it , some don't , but it doesn't undo the fact that the serie as a whole has plenty of good point and plenty of powerfull scenes during the way.

Badly done cg action sequences, the very juvenile placement of a certain plot twist, heavy contrivances made for the events of the climax, a lack of thematic weight for most of the cast's future circumstances, and finally an ending that completely undoes everything that the series was building up towards.

Disagree 100%

Lack of thematic weight ? In yuki yuna ? really ? have you seen the same show as everyone else ? The theme of the future of the cast is the' entire setup for the entire finale .. you can't be serious.

Jex

As much as I dislike KLK, I feel like it had something most shows don't knowadays. Flair and character.

How many shows really try to go for broke like that? That's something I have to applaud Imaishi for in that he really does give his works his all.

In my eyes, that only throws the abject failure of the series into sharper relief. It's a reminder of how their grasp exceeded their reach.

Midonin

I'm curious who's going to end up with Milky Holmes TD.

Crunchyroll got the first season, Funi/NicoNico got the second, nobody got the third, so whoever gets TD is completely up in the air at this point. But I want somebody to get it, because Milky Holmes is still evolving.

Jarmel

Banned
In my eyes, that only throws the abject failure of the series into sharper relief. It's a reminder of how their grasp exceeded their reach.

Well we do know Imaishi is capable of doing a better/more refined version of KLK however for whatever reason, be that production or budgetary, he couldn't do it this time.

That's mainly why I'm curious about what Imaishi's next project is going to be like. Is he going to try for something big again, this time with a more stable and mature studio backing him, or something smaller and less ambitious ala PS&G.

1419909713333cbuf1.jpg
1419652490929e7u64.jpg

These are going straight into my reaction folder

Praise Yeezus.

The two best mascots finally have a scene together.

And what a scene it was.

Bless Earth's heart for having the 2nd best suggestion.

http://a.pomf.se/rurosb.webm

Equal opportunity fanservice is always a plus.

Pretty surprised to see another show containing a horse giving birth at the end.

Didn't expect to see it happen again after watching Walkure.

Blusby

Amagi Brilliant Park 12: Well, how that was resolved was pretty damn dumb. At the very least how they managed to reach their goal in the last second was hilarious.

Fox318

You really don't want to do this.

D-Frag 05-07

The humor can get a bit low brow, the harem slowly makes its way toward the surface and Kazama playing the straight man to everyone else can be a bit tiring( As the show itself admitted) but despite all those issues, D-Frag remains completely hilarious. The whole tournament and the resolution to the final duel was golden.

I've never seen any Gundam. I remember Toonami pimping the fuck outta wing growing up.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You can keep saying KLK was bad till you're blue in the face, but you'll never be able to wipe the fact you all voted it as one of the best shows of last year.

cajunator

Banned

It was ambitious but very few shows ever realize their ambition. People like to champion Hyouka but even that couldnt do it.

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru - 01

wooooooooah this blew my expectations by a fucking mile. Those who have seen it, does this
get dark and horrible
and do
people die/suffer
?
Soundtrack was a surprise, and that Vertex sound made my subwoofer shake my windows. I was
pogchamp.png
during these 'powerups'

Abort while you still can.

I thought Yuki Yuna was good up until its ending, to which I still enjoy it, but it's kind of hard for me to actually recommend as a good show. Still, the action scenes are pretty cool though.

I still haven't seen Gurren Lagann.

:(

Last things I finished was Kokoro Connect, Nisekoi, Another, Sakasama no Patema, and Amagi Brilliant Park.

I'd like to try watching Gundam Wing, Summer Wars, Death Note, and K-On! soon.

MyAnimeList has me really going through what I've seen...

Well what are you waiting for? You're missing out on one of the greatest anime that's out there, as well as my most favourite anime that's out there!

I thought Yuki Yuna was good up until its ending, to which I still enjoy it, but it's kind of hard for me to actually recommend as a good show. Still, the action scenes are pretty cool though.

This is about where I am on Yuki Yuna, that ending really did the rest of the show a disservice.

Amagi Brilliant Park! 09

I forgot the fairies had names and weren't just referred to by their color motif. Also the level of convenience that the emergency release system are 4 trials meant to teach them how to work with each other is like something out of a kids show.

Jintor

Yuki-Nagato-the-melancholy-of-haruhi-suzumiya-32311582-450-258.gif

Noticed it in the crunchyroll ddos thread. What anime has the best computers in it? Look at those LAN cables and that hot OS action. I don't actually know what Yuki is doing but at least she's opening up like twenty Command Prompts to do it!

Crocodile

As much as I dislike KLK, I feel like it had something most shows don't knowadays. Flair and character.

How many shows really try to go for broke like that? That's something I have to applaud Imaishi for in that he really does give his works his all.

I agree here, and honestly I think KlK gets way too much flac in general. It was grossly overhyped in hindsight and Ragyou's daughter-fondling scenes deserve condemnation, but as a production it stands over a lot of the chaff just for the sheer energy it had.

This is kind of how I feel and why, in spite of all the faults (Branduil's list is both damning and pretty accurate unfortunately) I was able to find enjoyment in the show and why it sticks with me now (mostly in a "if I was a Wizard with unlimited resources, how would I improve the show so that it actually lived up to its potential/hype" but still :p). They tried to grab for the Sun and failed but at least they tried which is more than I can say about a non-insignificant amount of media on either side of the Pacific. It's easy to construct an argument for disliking the show and I think people are a bit too liberal in recommending it in general OT anime threads but some people seem to REALLY hate which I find a bit much - though an opinion they are of course entitled to :)

/XX/

Since the topic of indie animation or animation shorts have been a bit of a topic recently, maybe some would be interested in some others that, I think, came out this year.
After making a shout-out like that you must bump the 'Animated Shorts!' thread with recommendations like those, because that is what I would do too... if it wasn't because double-posting that much on it feels a bit wrong already. :p

I still haven't watched all of those either but I had just looked Airy Me up and found it. I will echo your sentiment that more people should take a look at it. The animation in this is really great and the way the camera moves and spins around the characters. Really good work. The story around it seems a bit sad or morbid though.
Maybe it was all just a dream? So perhaps not that sad all along, if we take into account what singer Cuushe explained about it, and how relates to the personal concepts of butterflies she has (the question is... does Ms. Kuno share that perception?):

Dazed Digital: Your new album released this month is titled Butterfly Case and there are many butterflies in this animation – what do butterflies symbolise for you?

Cuushe: Butterflies are creatures that connect dreams to reality for me. To see a butterfly in your dream can mean longevity, creativity, romance, joy, and spirituality. It can also mean a new way of thinking. I know of a story called "The Dream of the Butterfly” in which the lead character in the story was dreaming about a butterfly. Well, they thought they were dreaming. When they wake up, they are actually not sure if they are still dreaming about having a dream.

(...)

DD: What was the thinking behind the video’s elliptical narrative?

Cuushe: The prologue is set in the past. In a hospital, a doctor is doing mysterious living-body experiments. A nurse runs to a tree and eats an apple from the tree, but when she opens the apple there is a worm inside. Humans made the apple. This represents the idea that the place is still under the control of the doctor who is carrying out these experiments. In the main part of the animation the patient is being given an injection everyday and when she receives her final dose, her nose turns into a switch. Upon pressing the button, the young girl turns in to a chimera. Even though she may be a chimera, she still has human heart. What’s going to happen to her? This is the main theme of the video. Is it a dream? Is it real? Where am I? Who am I? These are things I think about when I watch this animation.
An interesting complete interview overall from an article that 'premièred' the MV at the time!

e_i

GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class episode 1

Now I know what happens when you give the Hidamari Sketch girls caffeine. Go go Color Rangers! Also, Kisaragi needs smaller glasses.

/XX/

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...choly-of-haruhi-suzumiya-32311582-450-258.gif

Noticed it in the crunchyroll ddos thread. What anime has the best computers in it? Look at those LAN cables and that hot OS action. I don't actually know what Yuki is doing but at least she's opening up like twenty Command Prompts to do it!
Those are precisely the kind of details pretty well worked on for the Rebuild of Evangelion project films; obviating the product placements of hardware from Panasonic and such that also come with it, things like Ritsuko's workstation featuring OPENSTEP (derived from NEXTSTEP new APIs after NeXTSTEP Release 3.3... 3.3, huh? How curious!) as OS seem like nice touches to me!

Hattori

Banned
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SQCyl476ZV0/U9SB2KaO6aI/AAAAAAAI9O0/NWdIIPWqU9k/w450-h258/Yuki-Nagato-the-melancholy-of-haruhi-suzumiya-32311582-450-258.gif[IMG]

Noticed it in the crunchyroll ddos thread. What anime has the best computers in it? Look at those LAN cables and that hot OS action. I don't actually know what Yuki is doing but at least she's opening up like twenty Command Prompts to do it![/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/q6ZN3UW.jpg
Lain
Ace Attorney anime by Shaft when
Cosigned.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A lot of the movie is really pointed towards modern society and how we've given up space exploration and I feel like that sort of 'Wild West' ending is supposed to inspire people. I've heard people mention stuff like the movie should have ended at the Black Hole and I feel like that goes against the entire concept of the film.
I felt insulted that they both explained the entire movie and then wrote in what is essentially a happy ending. It's like if they added another 20 minutes to 2001 in order to try to explain everything and wrap things up in a neat bow.

I haven't finished anything else, anyway. Didn't start all that many, actually, yeah; not many looked interesting at all... and anyway, part of what makes IS good is that it's so ridiculously bad, remember.

Other than Yuki Yuna, I guess I did also watch a few episodes of Inou Battle. Pretty bad show, I dropped that one fast.

Watch it and you might understand. Following twelve good to great episodes of silly comedy and Sega references, the last episode has a completely different tone...

Warning: ending spoilers!
After saying how after graduation they will be friends forever, they are told by Center-sensei that actually, after graduation they will become videogame consoles and go to the real world. Then in order (Megadrive first, then Saturn, then Dreamcast) they step into the light, and are "reborn" in our world as consoles. No more Sega Hard Girls? Why? But the consoles are great too, so it's not all bad, and that's the tone they focus on, but still... :(
I didn't expect that ending at all, and it was definitely sad! Also the whole tone of the episode reminded me of Sega's demise in the early '00s, which added a lot more to the sentiments. I'm sure they were going straight for this of course,
it can't be an accident that the school is Sehagaga Academy! Look up the game Segagaga and you'll understand. The "SeHa" in the name refers to Sega Hard [Girls], but the 'gaga' has got to be a Segagaga reference...
Oh, I was expecting them to bring up that Sega is a third party now or something. Which is strange considering how Neptunia goes anyway.

Also, the IS OVA is genuinely good of course.

I would say that Shirobako documents the realities of making animation (including some real events, as far as I am aware) but it chooses to have a comic outlook. I wouldn't say it's mocking anything so much as salvaging the story from being incredibly depressing. If it was more realistic it would be far too sad and unpleasant, Shirobako still sees itself as entertaining.
Well, I didn't quite have the same reaction as this GAF poster, but they said that they cried at the end of The Comeback... so you can tell a serious and interesting story but still have it wrap up in a genuine human moment. I guess right now, Shirobako just doesn't have that kind of hook whatsoever... and I wonder, if I wasn't an anime fan, would I find anything enjoyable about something that is so specific?

Yama no Susume S2 - Episode22-24 (End)

It's nice to see that even at the very end of the series, they're able to introduce a brand new character who adds something to character dynamics. There were a number of nice moments in the final episodes, but things mostly play out the way they're expected to. There isn't much to really say about a show like this other than the fact that it effectively does the job it needs to - it's a nice relaxing show which doesn't rely on much drama allowing the viewer to enjoy watching characters just interact with each other. Ending the series with another pseudo-fight between Hinata and Aoi is a little repetitive, but it does help highlight the ups and downs of friendship and also how things don't have to change after they fulfilled their "promise" in the climb.
I just think the start of 24 was a nice twist on the whole ending of 23. But even they were directly referencing the earlier fight in the season to the point where I thought I was watching a clip show for a moment. It worked for me for some reason. lol

e_i

GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class episode 2

Hah, it's a appearance by Shoulder-A-Coffin Kuro. Also, that's one evil Obasan.

Despite its flaws, KLK was fucking awesome. At least we got a feel good somewhat positive ending on that instead of the bullshit ending of Gurren Lagaan.

Accel World EX

Pretty much your basic set of post-finale OVA episodes after an anime.

First episode was ok, if not a little weird. I mean
so the pumpkin guy attacking people's virtual avatars and stripping them of their clothing was actually a girl trying to find opponents for an MMO fighting game that no one plays anymore? What does that have to do with how I started that sentence?

Second episode I found to be more enjoyable. It was nice seeing a standard slice-of-life scenario for these characters. I did get a laugh out of
the hot-springs scene with everybody in their Brain Burst avatars. Ending it with another heartwarming moment between Haru and Kuroyukihime.

All right, Accel World is done. Time for the rest of Fumoffu! And after that....the rest of Strike Witches S2 before The Second Raid.

CDiggity

Well we do know Imaishi is capable of doing a better/more refined version of KLK however for whatever reason, be that production or budgetary, he couldn't do it this time.

That's mainly why I'm curious about what Imaishi's next project is going to be like. Is he going to try for something big again, this time with a more stable and mature studio backing him, or something smaller and less ambitious ala PS&G.

I would assume KLKs shall we say...shortcomings probably had to do with a studio that decided to make its first TV anime:
1. An Anime Original Plot
2. Reliant on shoutouts, references, humor and tropes from a something that is arguably unfashionable at the time.
3. 25 episodes
4. High energy atmosphere that requires a lot of effort to properly animate
5. With resources that you would expect from a studio that was only about 3 years old around the time of KLK pre-production.

I will say kudos to whoever pitched the idea and managed to get it greenlit. Must have taken some wizardry, since if you pitched the idea to me, credentials aside, I would have shot it down so hard.

Honestly, it's not a bad show and if I was a business owner I'd be super jealous of the action Trigger is getting in such a short time for a brand new company. Makes me hope Yuasa's Science SARU gets similar traction in the next couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom