• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Encouragement of Climb S2 05

GsaZX2Q.jpg

An episode with some comedy hijinks.

Not much about mountain climbing. :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The only difference between this show and any other featuring a 'final boss' is that I imagine the situation here will be resolved with talking.
Have you read Naruto? Most final bosses there are defeated by talking.

e_i

GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class

Great show. Kind of like a more hyper version of Hidamari Sketch, but with art lessons. The series has its lovable characters, from the shy Kisaragi, the playful Noda, the energetic tomboy Tomokane, the princess of darkness Miyabi, and the tsukomi Namiko.

javac

Just watched the first 2 episodes of RahXephon. I've been meaning to watch this for YEARS so I thought that I'd tackle it and make 2015 a year in which I destroy my backlog! Anyways it's a strange show. What drew my attention to the show many years ago was its parallels to Evangelion, something I was (and still am) infatuated with. So far within both it's imagery and music there are obvious calling cards to Eva. A track during a certain moment sounded very familiar to Decisive Battle for example. It does have some funky music here and there but shows like Infinite RYVIUS have conditioned me to that so it's all good! :p
The show obviously tries to carve it's own unique identity, with some unique designs and audio cues and that's something I full expect to come to fruition as the show progresses. I am by no means watching this expecting Eva-lite. Trying to summarize the show like that would be a disservice to the show and its creators one would think and I think being a show that has parallels to something like Eva would...by virtue do some crazy stuff and flip the table numerous times leaving you with something you didn't expect, one would think anyways.
Character designs are fine so far and the dialogue is genuine and funny thus far. Nothing special audio wise apart from the ending theme which I really love! Opening theme is pretty nice too!
2 episodes is not enough to really write up about, I generally watch around 6 before writing something but I thought that I just change it up a bit. The show is a bit long and I was going to go for something a bit shorter but I guess I was just in the mood for this. Nothing is truly pulling me in at the moment, but like I said I'll let it get it's rhythm going first. I'll update next when I watch episode 3 to 7 or thereabouts I guess in a few hours unless I get sidetracked :p

Midonin

Funi turning their simulcast announcements into clues can be baffling, but their latest tweet appears to hint at Lesbian Bear Storm being their next pickup. Gonna wait until later today for confirmation. Not quite what I expected them to pick up, but they got Akuma no Riddle, and that also falls into the category of "yuri and guns".

I can't even remember CG in that show I was too mesmerized by the absolute swag that man had. That penis was a deadly weapon.

I've seen both, and I think you are comparing the good parts of Ronja against the bad parts of Berserk. Both have moments where characters looks off and "CGey".

Oh don't get me wrong, the third movie fixed most quirks of the CG. I guess my joke also stems from once again not getting anything past the fucking golden age. Still waiting for more skull knight.

is the golgo 13 movie the one with the italian lady? If so I recall some CG but maybe I watched it without truly appreciating PS2 CG like I do now. Bahamut was the winner this year with those sweet dragons.

amrod

Dunno if its allowed but for crunchyroll.com I had laying around... Enjoy

12/31/2014 KGACFCDMAPP All-Access Guest Pass - 48 Hours Valid Dec 31, 2015
12/25/2014 4ZFC46L9KS7 All-Access Guest Pass - 48 Hours Valid Mar 25, 2015
11/25/2014 LPWM4U6PAA8 All-Access Guest Pass - 48 Hours Valid Feb 23, 2015
10/26/2014 NSWFFTNPNBL All-Access Guest Pass - 48 Hours Valid Jan 25, 2015

Midonin

I wonder if Funi's going to pick up KanColle. They already have Strike Witches, so it's within the range of shows they like to own.

Rainy

Banned
Nagi no Asukara 14

They really made Hikari not age huh...time to manufacture drama with Miuna I guess. Older Chisaki is A+. God Tsumugu still annoys me, maybe he'll grow on me.

No. Just no.

I know I'm a bit late on this, but sorry if I offended you with that.

I realize that Madoka Rebellion to many of you here is a really good film with extraordinarily done symbolism.

I only made that comparison because like Eureka Seven AO, it did not need to exist when the original series ended on a satisfying note.

S-CRY-ED
*snip*

Well, on the plan-to-watch list this goes!

Is Twintail like the new Samurai Flamenco here?

It's not, trust me. I thought it started that way, but by episode 4 the joke got old.

Gundam Build Fighters END

Now that's how you do a finale.

AOTY 2014.

Jex

[Princess Arete ] - (2001)

Princess Arete is a fantasy movie from Studio 4oC directed by Sunao Katabuchi. That name might not ring any bells, but it really should. He was the original director of :

Kiki's Delivery Service, before Miyazaki hijacked the entire project, leaving Katabuchi as the assistant director. Katabuchi spent many years at Studio Ghibli but he was never given the responsibility of directing a film. Eventually, he left and worked on a number of projects that you've probably heard of such as Mai Mai Miracle (2009)
and most famously

Black Lagoon (2006).

Before all that came Princess Arete. This is a story about a princess who is held against her will in a tall tower. Suitors come to seek her hand in marriage and an evil sorcerer steals her away.

That brief summary sounds incredibly generic and it could be the description for any medieval fantasy story. In this case, however, the point of the movie is not to wonder 'what's going to happen next?' or to experience some thrill ride. Princess Arete is largely a character piece, focusing on the lives and goals of a handful of characters. It's an intimate story.

Princes Arete certainly resembles a fantasy Ghibli movie but I really don't want to give people the wrong impression. This is a deliberately paced, some might even argue slow, character study. This isn't an adventure like Castle in the Sky. Rather than Miyazaki, Katabuchi's directorial approach is reminiscent of the other grand master of Ghibli, Isao Takahata. If you're familiar with Takahata's works and his approach then you have some idea of whether this kind of movie might be for you.

As I mentioned above, this movie isn't really 'about' it's basic plot at all. Throughout the film Arete is imprisoned both literally and figuratively within the model of the traditional women and movie is about her struggle to escape.. At the start of the story her distant father keeps her locked away from the world to draw suitors to his kingdom. Arete defies the patriarchal (literally, in this case) society she's in both secretly and eventually later overtly. She doesn't wish to be a useless princess thinking of nothing but being married to some man; Arete wishes to live as a human and create something real with her own hands.

It's important to note that the film doesn't reduce struggle down to Arete vs the world of men. Instead, we see the idea of entrapment explored through multiple characters, both men and women, throughout the film. The film is filled with images of entrapment which largely takes the form of either top-down shots emphasising closed spaces:

or extremely heavy 'framing' where characters becomes 'trapped' by internal frames within the image. For example:

Princess Arete may be a fairly restrained tale but that doesn't mean that it isn't filled with beautiful imagery and Katabuchi certainly carriers within himself a certainly Ghibli sensibility on that front:

Now I mentioned that Katabuchi's direction is reminiscent of Isao Takahata. Katabuchi shares a number of traits with Takahata but he also strikes out on his own in a number of areas.

Like Takahata, Katabuchi is a realistic and logical director that focuses on building grounded, well understood worlds with real people engaged in mundane tasks. This is something you'll notice in Takahata's works. You can clearly see that he has a fascination with depicting people taking part in work:

The film is filled with what you might think of as 'background' people doing the necessary but un-glamorous jobs that need to be completed such as sewing, smithing, farming and so forth. These shots only last a few seconds but Katabuchi puts these 'normal' people front and centre because what they're doing is as important to keeping the world running the knights and the sorcerers and the kings - possibly more so. By the time the movie draws to a close this becomes even more obvious.

Another stylistic tick that reminds me of Takahata's direction is how strictly Katabuchi establishes the geography of the world. Basically, in some films where any location is in respect to any other location isn't really established and characters just teleport from place to place with so sense of them inhabiting a real 'world'. As Takahata and Katabuchi are both logical directors they ensure that their cinematography depicts a consistent and defined world. It's unlikely that you'll consciously pick up on this when you're just watching the film but subconsciously you're going to 'feel' how grounded and defined the world of the film is. This makes it feel more real and by extension makes the characters that live in the world feel more real.

This has been a fairly rambling and unfocused review of Princess Arete but I'd really urge you to check this out if anything I've mentioned above sounds like it would interest you. It's also another example of the great talent that Miyazaki managed to scare away from Studio Ghibli.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the show, but I don't think I'm a big enough fan of Sega for the show to resonate with me. I suppose in a way, the premise as you describe it kind of suggests that this is basically Reboot but with officially licensed games. lol
While of course liking Sega games makes liking this show a lot more likely, I think that anyone who likes videogames might well get something out of it. I mean, Sega's made so many different kinds of games, of course knowing all the references makes it better, but I could see liking it even if I didn't know them all, sure.

Also, the humor between the girls is often amusing, too; I mostly like that element of the show as well.

As for Reboot, never did watch that, so I don't know if this is like that or not. Maybe?

Not that I finished Neptunia, but I have to assume this show is going for the same audience in some way. I mean, you don't turn them into girls and not want that audience to watch your show.
If they were going for just the Neptunia audience, they'd have made SeHa Girl a lot creepier. No, I think there's little question that they were going for a wider gamer audience than Neptunia's otaku niche. Sure, they did make the hard-characters girls, but just having that doesn't make something Neptunia levels of awful! The Microsoft OS-tan girls aren't Neptunia either, you know. So yeah, for a male audience, yes, but for creepy otaku only? Definitely not.

One thing I wonder if there was a Nintendo version of this show if more people would have watched it though. There's probably more nostalgia anyway.
There are plenty of people with Sega nostalgia... though sure, a Nintendo version would surely be more popular, there's even more of that. I can't quite see Nintendo approving something like this show, though.

IS2
The assassination of her character is terrible,
I'm sure the excuse is "well none of their IS suits were working so she was able to be hurt", but it's still impossible that someone with her skills could have overlooked that guy. And I do mean impossible.

I still hate Cecilia's "I actually love him" moment more, though. I mean, the anime skipped over that scene, but as described in the manga it's so ludicrously sexist... you know, that she falls for him because she, as this rich daughter of a powerful woman, actually wanted a guy who could defeat her, etc. At least this one's just an impossible defeat, not that kind of thing, and Russia's still trolling him in amusing ways afterwards too.

but I think the fact that the OVA turned into a psychosexual examination of the harem genre made up for that. I mean, the dude fighting himself in order to prevent the girls from having sex is just genius and is basically the perfect counterpart to School Days.
First, did you read that review of mine that I linked in the last post?

Beyond that... heh, this returns to the issue S1 raised -- is the ridiculous plot intentional, or accidental? Do they know what they are creating, or not? In this case, is it as you suggest, or just an unintentional result of following the "TV harem must be sexless" rule to the letter... either way the results are pretty amusing though, yes. It's a great example of the kind of thinking School Days disassembled.

Firemind

Great show. Kind of like a more hyper version of Hidamari Sketch, but with art lessons. The series has its lovable characters, from the shy Kisaragi, the playful Noda, the energetic tomboy Tomokane, the princess of darkness Miyabi, and the tsukomi Namiko.
It's better than Hidamari Sketch. RIP AIC

Strike Witches S2 - 5

In which Lucchini
ends up taking the Duchess of Rome on a tour around Rome. Simple enough. Though I have to wonder what the Duchess was doing getting her men to act like Mafia members towards her. Was she trying to test the citizen's loyalty towards fellow citizens to see if someone would rescue her or something? I don't know. Doesn't really matter anyway.

BluWacky

[Princess Arete ] - (2001)
It's important to note that the film doesn't reduce struggle down to Arete vs the world of men. Instead, we see the idea of entrapment explored through multiple characters, both men and women, throughout the film. The film is filled with images of entrapment which largely takes the form of either top-down shots emphasising closed spaces:

As you're probably well aware, the male entrapment in the film (of
Boax and his familiar
) is Katabuchi's addition to the original story - an effective one, I might add.

I don't have anything else to add - I did my rewatch of the film back in July - except that it's a good film and people should watch it!

cajunator

Banned
Happy New Year AnimeGaf

~wan wan wan

Happy new year cute puppy-san!

I wonder, what's vocal fanservice...

When Kana Hana sings. THATS vocal fanservice!

Encouragement of Climb S2 03

The fun ends and shit gets real.

No benches, steeper inclines and dangerous mountain stream water drinking :p

I hiked some of the Appalachian trail before and its probably as dangerous as that. Steep dropoffs from the path, no guardrails, jagged rocks. Really dangerous and really beautiful vistas.

hnnngh

Denki-Gai 04

The perfect customer.

One of those crazy book towers at the start and valentine chocolate for all.

Thats my general approach to anime, though not the cheapest option.

I DEFINITELY need to check this out!

It looks like Funimation has Lesbian Bear Storm (Yuri Kuma Arashi).

Funimation has been on fire lately.

It's better than Hidamari Sketch. RIP AIC

This is a lie.

phaze

Ore Twintail ni Narimasu 7-12 END

AOTY. I never thought Twintails could be so strong.

Show certainly lost some steam after the glorious episode 4 but the finale pretty good. I lost it at the
Evangelionesque dialogue with his inner Twintails.

Also RIP in pieces Worm Guildy-chan. You will be remembered.

Narag

Shirobako 8

I think from episode 5 onward this has felt like a different show, one more fully realized as the various characters get their turn in the spotlight. This is more or less what I expected out of the show going in and I can finally begin to understand why some are so enamored with it.

Jex

As you're probably well aware, the male entrapment in the film (of
Boax and his familiar
) is Katabuchi's addition to the original story - an effective one, I might add.

I don't have anything else to add - I did my rewatch of the film back in July - except that it's a good film and people should watch it!
I didn't really go into it because my post was getting too long but I was vaguely aware of that. The same visual language of entrapment is applied to all the major characters in the film bar one important women.

I think that change to the story is really important because not only does it flesh out all the characters but it widens the idea of a 'feminist fairytale' (everything about this description seems wrong but people keep referring to the story like this) somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom