• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Same root reason as console wars and other nerd clique hierachy bullshit that keeps happening

MIND YOU I understand why, I have a completely irrational hatred of Sword Art Online (even beyond the legitimate complaints about s1) and I can't believe people like it at all... but I wouldn't, you know, call 'em pedofiles or something

also I don't realy understand how AoT could be related in any way to pedofiles. It's not some moe-stuff where everyone looks 12 or something

Its not like nerd clique hierarchy BS doesn't exist even on AnimeGAF. A few pages back someone was legit confused that UBW and Parasyte were on the top of the ANN poll. This is because AnimeGAF has a tendency to be an echo-chamber, particularly about anything popular, so people are legitimately out-of-touch with what the larger community thinks.

Its just internet anime guy who thinks everyone wants all anime to be clones of Cowboy Bebop and have nothing but adults in it making super serious rational decisions all the time. Trust me, someone in the very near future will post how much Fate/Naruto/AoT/Sword Art is ruining everything with pandering shonen nonsense they don't like. That IS nerd clique hierarchy BS.

cajunator

Banned
AnimeGAF, I don't understand peoples hate toward anime, or rather, the people who enjoy it. I was hanging out at my friends birthday party, just now, talking to a group of people. The subject of anime came up, my friend watches mainstream shows, so he got to talking about AoT. Anyway, the people in the group were trash talking individuals who watch it. Saying things like it's for, "Pedophiles," "Losers," etc. I was upset, I spoke out and told them flat out that they are wrong, that you can't generalize like that and that I'm a big anime fan, so they are labeling me with those titles. Needless to say I got into a huge debate. It was frustrating. Ughh, why do others care so much what others choose to do with their own damn time?

^

I give approximately zero fucks about these kinds of people but maybe its closer to 1% since I even respond at all.
Most people are surprisingly open to learning about it though. Just be prepared with some more casually relatable examples to suggest they check out.

The wider perception of anime is pretty negative— and it's admittedly not unearned. The titles people hoist up and praise are generally brainless dreck with a focus on pandering and, as a result, the niche medium they fall under pays the price. It also doesn't help that western anime fans do tend to be socially inept and weird. Outside of my close group of friends, I very rarely meet an anime fan who's just a reasonable person. They substitute anime— a hobby— with their identity, and become an awkward weaboo.

That being said, if you're speaking to someone who's only offense is that it's for pedophiles and losers, I mean, why talk to them? They don't sound like they actually care who it's for, they're just tossing a blanket statement on something they've seen and decided upon. People like that probably aren't worth the time because they don't care and really neither should you. Why bother?

Hahahaha

Its roughly the same as people who listen to a couple popular rap tracks and say its all shit or any genre or fandom. Some people just will close themselves to all possibilities that something can be enjoyable and tune it out. Dont listen to these people in general.
Or better yet, annoy the hell out of them with said fandom just for sadistic fun!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The wider perception of anime is pretty negative— and it's admittedly not unearned. The titles people hoist up and praise are generally brainless dreck with a focus on pandering and, as a result, the niche medium they fall under pays the price. It also doesn't help that western anime fans do tend to be socially inept and weird. Outside of my close group of friends, I very rarely meet an anime fan who's just a reasonable person. They substitute anime— a hobby— with their identity, and become an awkward weaboo.

That being said, if you're speaking to someone who's only offense is that it's for pedophiles and losers, I mean, why talk to them? They don't sound like they actually care who it's for, they're just tossing a blanket statement on something they've seen and decided upon. People like that probably aren't worth the time because they don't care and really neither should you. Why bother?

This + the fact that this hobby is of Asian origin makes it extra hard for "normal" westerners to understand. At least with Star Wars/Trek etc. those are geekdoms of western origin.

Quasar

I give approximately zero fucks about these kinds of people but maybe its closer to 1% since I even respond at all.
Most people are surprisingly open to learning about it though. Just be prepared with some more casually relatable examples to suggest they check out.

Yeah. Once you get past the folks who see cartoons/comics as the realms of kids entertainment I don't really run int much hate at all IRL.

And this was one of my points to argue. I brought up shows Like Bebop, Berserk, Champloo etc. Explaining that these shows are great, well written shows. How anime has a lot of quality material, like ANY other form of medium, you just need to know where to look. It was after this point I backed out, because they essentially shrugged it off.

AnimeGAF, I don't understand peoples hate toward anime, or rather, the people who enjoy it. I was hanging out at my friends birthday party, just now, talking to a group of people. The subject of anime came up, my friend watches mainstream shows, so he got to talking about AoT. Anyway, the people in the group were trash talking individuals who watch it. Saying things like it's for, "Pedophiles," "Losers," etc. I was upset, I spoke out and told them flat out that they are wrong, that you can't generalize like that and that I'm a big anime fan, so they are labeling me with those titles. Needless to say I got into a huge debate. It was frustrating. Ughh, why do others care so much what others choose to do with their own damn time?
When non-anime fans see all the barely clothed women that suspiciously look like little girls in all the advertising it tends to fulfill their confirmation bias about the entire medium.

Midonin

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 22

Everything was mostly going well, too. There were maid outfits and cute things, and it was a break from the despair of the last two episodes. Until that ending scene. Haruma hasn't really investigated where Choco came from, or how Santa created her (I'm still placing at least one of my chips on the homunculus theory), but that doesn't mean he should deny her. In some ways, a repeat of the first half of the show, but the stakes don't feel as intense.

Kiddy Grade 19-21

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

The EcLu clones get to live a happy life, and the villains' plots are foiled! Hooray! I like how the opening and ending had some small alterations to match their new looks, but it appears this is not the end of worries, merely the start of them. Alv and her partner are also way more twisted than I thought. Thinking about it, this all was foreshadowed, but man will it be good once they're dealt with. Good on Tim for making good on his word and becoming a true philanthropist. Quite the endgame we've got going on here.

When non-anime fans see all the barely clothed women that suspiciously look like little girls in all the advertising it tends to fulfill their confirmation bias about the entire medium.

I can agree with that, but if someone were to say that I would counter with something like, "Rap is only about gangs, drugs, sex etc." Which is obviously and absurd notion. There is more to it and even so, songs that are about that do serve a specific purpose. Same with anime, though it is almost impossible to defend any shows that are as you explain.

Yu Yu Hakusho 20

I fucked up the episode count. God damn it.

I guess Genkai is right. Yusuke really had it easy, especially given how he won his previous fights

mdubs

Banned
I find that at least for among people born in the 90's they tend to be very open to anime, I've never had a problem discussing it with any of my friends. I think its probably because almost everyone remembers when Pokemon, Digimon, Yugioh and such were things everyone watched, so everyone already has basic exposure to it. The easiest thing is to tell them about Death Note, compare it to Breaking Bad or Attack on Titan to Walking Dead because that makes it easier for them to grasp what the show is like compared to just hoping they'll understand. I've never had problems with this approach and many people who would never have thought about watching anime have been exposed to it now. I've found that many anime fans are absolutely horrible at explaining the medium in a way that will actually get people into it and are quite out of touch in real life.

The best example (although not super relevant) is when someone goes into one of the "I'm new to anime give me suggestions" and proceeds to suggest Oreimo or something. But the principle there is the same, if you want people to understand why you like a medium like anime we as fans need to do a better job explaining it.

fertygo

I actually don't care with those label and shit there's truth in it, but fuck I still can enjoy harem/moe hijinks.. I can just accept the media for what it is.

Branduil

Another

Not really a big horror guy but I enjoyed the series.

Tone of the show was a little off at points.

I have no idea what you mean.

ie5wOOjOUYHoa.gif

e_i

Inou Battle

Came for the chuunis with super powers. Got harem shit. And dismemberment.

To Love Ru all of it, TV and OVAs

Harem shit with the lead being beaten every episode.

Yu Yu Hakusho 21

Finally, done with the Saint Beasts arc, and Keiko is now in on Yusuke's shit. But that's not important. NEXT up is Yukina, the person whose tears can satisfy many.

Clearly an allegory for forum posters profitting off of salty people.

Yowa Peda Grand Road Episode 12

Bad writing if Toudou gets dropped next. Also if iMYzumi, Naruko, and Onoda also get dropped too. Surely the non third years can be successful...please? Ace of Diamond cant be the only show where that happens can it...

Ending thing was hilarious, rewatched it due to how funny it was.

Agreed. My gf is actually one of the types who has never really watched anime before but has been very open to it.

TUSR

Banned
im too dude bro irl, no one knows i watch anime

LWA

Jintor

Its not like nerd clique hierarchy BS doesn't exist even on AnimeGAF. A few pages back someone was legit confused that UBW and Parasyte were on the top of the ANN poll. This is because AnimeGAF has a tendency to be an echo-chamber, particularly about anything popular, so people are legitimately out-of-touch with what the larger community thinks.

Its just internet anime guy who thinks everyone wants all anime to be clones of Cowboy Bebop and have nothing but adults in it making super serious rational decisions all the time. Trust me, someone in the very near future will post how much Fate/Naruto/AoT/Sword Art is ruining everything with pandering shonen nonsense they don't like. That IS nerd clique hierarchy BS.

I in no way implied that AnimeGAF is free from it, it's just that I tend to agree with more of it

Beefeater

Banned
This is something we all have to deal with, as a consumer of on-going entertainment. Hitokage, RIP, was a firm believer in "Wait Until It's Done" and while that's a fine way to avoid disappointment I wouldn't want to be so divorced from the conservation. If I recommend only picking a few shows that you're certain will be good and also dropping shows that disappoint you very quickly.

Good points. I'll probably follow at least one of the coming shows – Death Parade feels like a safe bet. Episodic shows are safer to follow weekly in general since the ending matters less.

And I'll be dropping shows much more quickly in the future. This hobby is something I'm supposed to enjoy, which I'm reminded of every time I watch something truly good like Mushishi or Giant Robo (my latest backlog title). I can't believe all the trash people in this thread subject themselves to, when there's a vast world of great shows and movies out there.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What are some recent anime that you guys would say have a good dub? I want to buy some blu-rays to take advantage of some of that 5.1 sound, but a lot of recent anime dubs I've heard have been bad.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I in no way implied that AnimeGAF is free from it, it's just that I tend to agree with more of it

I just wish every criticism of a mainstream-popular show didn't read the same down to the same specific wording. Its a lot of appealing to the peanut gallery.

John Blade

What are some recent anime that you guys would say have a good dub? I want to buy some blu-rays to take advantage of some of that 5.1 sound, but a lot of recent anime dubs I've heard have been bad.

The one I can think of from my top of my head is Spice and Wolf. It have a very good dub which I like actually.

This is something we all have to deal with, as a consumer of on-going entertainment. Hitokage, RIP, was a firm believer in "Wait Until It's Done" and while that's a fine way to avoid disappointment I wouldn't want to be so divorced from the conservation. If I recommend only picking a few shows that you're certain will be good and also dropping shows that disappoint you very quickly.

I think, if you have the time, its good to watch the first episode of most shows, too. If you aren't somewhat interested in what you see by the first episode, or if you can't actually make it through the first episode, then I think it is generally safe to drop it. Though, some people would say to give it three episodes, even if you aren't liking it. I don't like that rule.

I say this because there always seems to be a hidden gem every season, like Shounen Hollywood for me and Inou Battle for others.

Inou Battle END

I now feel cheated. Ending was dumb as fuck. If you thought Kill La Kill's ending was bad this takes it to another level holy fuck.

WAN

Rainy

Banned
Aldnoah Zero 5

What a quick armistice.
They sure defeat these enemies easily...
also lol at the cpr at the beginning
The ED is really nice, I like it.

fertygo

Good points. I'll probably follow at least one of the coming shows – Death Parade feels like a safe bet. Episodic shows are safer to follow weekly in general since the ending matters less.

And I'll be dropping shows much more quickly in the future. This hobby is something I'm supposed to enjoy, which I'm reminded of every time I watch something truly good like Mushishi or Giant Robo (my latest backlog title). I can't believe all the trash people in this thread subject themselves to, when there's a vast world of great shows and movies out there.

Already pushing your anecdotal preference to other people, you would doing fine in this thread.

Recently there was a comi-con event near my place and it was the first time i ever openly appreciated looking at anime stuff. It's sad, but for how much i absolutely adore a lot of anime (including my unending love for Eva, of which only my brother is aware), no one actually knows just how deep my relationship with the medium is. Being at that comi-con was one of the most life affirming things i've experienced. It was an immense change from online interactions too, because even though i love shitting on your favorite shows as much as anyone else, the sheer strength of the implicit knowledge that all those present were displaying their passions on their sleeves meant that everyone was incredibly nice and jolly with each other.

I actually loudly complained, at one stand which was selling imported stuff, that the Eva manga was a very poor adaptation but that adapting Eva would be night impossible anyway and some girl next to me went like "hmm, yep". I've never had anything like that happen to me, and in some ways i feel like that obsession with knowing as much as i can while never wholly disclosing the extent of my knowledge has shaped me in ways i can't consciously discern.

It's a tough life, watching little girls do cute things.

Quasar

When supernatural battles became commonplace 12 - Its over and I am sad. Really ends with setup for a wider story we'll never get. This really was my surprise of the season. Probably my most enjoyable watch of the season.

I guess I have to pray the show convinced some group to fan translate the novels.

Compsiox

Banned
I tried watching the first season of Log Horizon.

I felt COMPLETELY lost!

Is there something I should know before getting into it?

It's good to have some standards, even in art/entertainment.

Compsiox

Banned

Mushishi is really really good but don't hate on other people's anime interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom