• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" New Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuuKyK

Looks awesome.

Also, that music.

Edit: In-depth analysis of the trailer courtesy of Pottermore:

It’s here! It’s finally here! Yes, we’ve all seen the trailer for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them now, so it’s time to get down to business: analyse it intensely.

We’re gradually picking up more and more about what to expect from Fantastic Beasts, but thanks to this big, shiny new trailer, there are certain blink-and-you’ll-miss-them moments that could spell out brand new clues. So, what are these fantastic scenes? And where do we find them?

1. Newt was expelled!

So Newt Scamander was expelled from Hogwarts for ‘endangering human life with a beast’. Oh boy. And that’s years before Hagrid shows up with Aragog. But, intriguingly, a certain Albus Dumbledore gentleman ‘argued strongly’ against his expulsion.

Dumbledore would be in his mid-40s when our movie takes place. Not quite Headmaster yet, but a mere Transfiguration teacher. So, even though we find ourselves in the Twenties, Dumbledore is already making waves at Hogwarts as a younger man.

2. This is Newt’s first visit to America

It’s his first trip to America, and already Newt is raising eyebrows at Customs. Well done on going incognito, Newt. To make matters worse he arrives in America on a big freaking boat. Can’t he just Apparate? Perhaps it’s too far, or there are certain Apparition laws for where Newt needs to go – rather like the not-within-Hogwarts-grounds rule? Or maybe he just wanted to make an entrance. We prefer to think the latter.

3. That suitcase may not be entirely reliable

Ah, that pesky, wonky suitcase that Newt has been ‘meaning to get fixed’ which will definitely not spell any trouble for Newt during the course of the film, we imagine.We also learn that Newt’s suitcase has a ‘Muggle Worthy’ setting, which must be handy as animals are not exactly well known for being quiet on command.

The innards of his case give the appearance of your average, bumbling British traveller: pyjamas, magnifying glass, maps, handkerchief. However, there is also a yellow and black scarf, which can only mean one thing. Newt is keeping the Hufflepuff dream alive!

4. Planting evidence?

Speaking of Hufflepuff dreams, one shot shows Newt seemingly extracting something in a room full of plants. So Professor Sprout wasn’t the only Hufflepuff who had green fingers.

5. A (possibly illegal) night on the tiles?

What’s all this? Crates of alcohol? Smoky rooms with people in vintage outfits? This must be the dawn of wizard hipsters. OR, considering the decade we’re in, quite possibly a bar evading the Prohibition laws that would be in place during the time in North America. Are Newt and his new pals frequenting a speakeasy?

6. There’s something going on at MACUSA

Here we have another glimpse of the US Ministry of Magic, MACUSA, with a glorious moving portrait of President Seraphina oozing with fierceness in the corner. We can also see what appears to be a gaggle of Aurors running dramatically towards (or away?) from something. It doesn’t look like a relaxed Friday afternoon at the office, that’s for sure.

They all share Graves’s signature look, so at least wherever he goes he’ll have backing dancers.

Later on, we spot Newt and Tina, looking concerned, hanging around MACUSA too. Why so serious? There’s also something funny about that clock in the corner, the one with one hand that doesn’t seem to point to any numbers. That isn’t a very helpful clock to have in the middle of New York. You’d definitely miss an appointment. What do you guys think, maybe it’s not meant to tell the time?

7. American wizard newspapers are a real sign of the times

Please excuse us while we read every word of this one second shot of a wizard newspaper, for a moment. This would probably be the US equivalent of the UK’s Daily Prophet… The New York G-something, we can’t quite read the end.

Among several headlines, the top story appears to be ‘International Wizard Hunt Intensifies’ as well as a shifty looking fellow called Alberto Macellarus, who is wanted for 3,500 Dragots. This really helps us understand the divide between wizard-kind that defined American history. We also are seeing a lot of fears about ‘Wizarding Exposure’ and ‘Magical Exposure’. We learned in ‘History of Magic in North America’ that American wizards were a lot more isolated from non-magical folk than the European ones were – and it seemed that isolation really dominated their news and culture.

8. A candidate promising a ‘SHAW’ future for America.

Oh look, another American election. But unlike our current 2016 one, it seems a man called ‘SHAW’ was the hot candidate of the time – but what is he running for? With a poster assuredly emblazoned with ‘America’s Future’ (we wonder what that’s like!) it isn’t long before Shaw’s campaign is seen overthrown by some kind of disarray. Chairs are knocked over! It’s chaos! But why?

9. What is this little girl doing?

She’s either casting some sort of mysterious spell, catching something, or doing the Macarena. We can’t be sure, but we’re not ruling out anything.

10. Is it a bird?

A-ha, an actual fantastic beast! This makes sense considering the title of the film. A lovely peacock blue, winged creature emerges from a small object thrown by Newt – one that doesn’t look very familiar…

11. Apparate Good Times

Ah, so Newt can Apparate. And he has some very slick Apparating moves too. You wouldn’t want to splinch yourself mid-air like that. Remember the three D’s, Newt: Destination, Determination and Deliberation.

12. Take it to the Graves

Colin Farrell’s Percival Graves is seen casting quite a dramatic spell. We’re going to put money on it right now: that ain’t no Wingardium Leviosa.

13. We like the look of this little guy

Who is this little, large snouted fellow clutching onto a purse?. Whatever he is, we would definitely like to borrow one to help us find loose change at the bottom of our sofa. Although, come to think of it, this creature does seem to remind us of something…

14. Seraphina gives us Office Chic Goals™

Seraphina looks one of the most exciting characters of the movie to us, and if her story is as good as her pinstripe suits, we reckon we’re in for something special. This is office chic at its most fierce, and we need to see more of Seraphina’s wardrobe immediately.

15. Just in case

With the ‘Muggle Worthy’ setting well and truly off, Newt climbs into his own suitcase, which appears to be bottomless. We’ve seen this before with Hermione’s suspiciously spacious jewelled bag in Deathly Hallows, as well as faux Mad-Eye Moody’s trunk from Goblet of Fire, which opens up into a small basement. A word for the wise, folks. Never say yes when someone ushers you into a suitcase.

16. And then darkness…

This black screen. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

Want to watch it again? Of course you do...

FB-TRL2-2.jpg
FB-TRL2-3.jpg
FB-TRL2-4.jpg
FB-TRL2-16.jpg
FB-TRL2-18.jpg
FB-TRL2-7.jpg
FB-TRL2-8.jpg
FB-TRL2-5.jpg

Hey look, an actual goddamn trailer this time!

Looks solid, but Yates has fooled me before. Also are they seriously just going to use the HP theme again

Looks solid, but Yates has fooled me before. Also are they seriously just going to use the HP theme again

Trailer music is rarely actually part of the score. It's not out until November I think and scoring doesn't take place until much later. James Newton Howard is doing it this time, and he's incredible. Seeing as Yates made my favorite installments, I've no personal reason to be concerned. I'm all in.

Wow. Seems a lot more city-centric than I was anticipating, especially since the book mostly follows his journies across the globe charting magical beasts.

Still, this seems like a fun spinoff. Always wondered what America was like in the HP universe.

Jedi2016

I've heard nothing about this. Actually looks pretty interesting. Nice to see them expand on the world without being super heavy-handed with the originals.

Trailer music is rarely actually part of the score. It's not out until November I think and scoring doesn't take place until much later. James Newton Howard is doing it this time, and he's incredible. Seeing as Yates made my favorite installments, I've no personal reason to be concerned. I'm all in.

Yeah I know that.

Barf McBarf, Yates is sleepy and safe. Cuaron did the best IMO.

Damn, I didn't know Colin Farrell was in this, took me by surprise.

Colin Farrell doing wizard shit = A+

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Really digging the visual aspect but not so much the story

It kind of feels like a tv movie

Barf McBarf, Yates is sleepy and safe.

I found them to have a lot of energy and I have no idea how, while Cuaron's is very well done, how his movie isn't "safe." It was darker and a little different than the ones before, but it still felt like... a Harry Potter movie. But yeah I can see where this is going and I don't agree with the "Azkaban is the only good one cuz Cuaron" crowd, so I'll hang it up, been there and done that :p

I do feel like they're holding a lot back so far, but I think that's a good thing. Being November we're still likely to get several more trailers so just give it time.

But yeah I can see where this is going and I don't agree with the "Azkaban is the only good one cuz Cuaron" crowd, so I'll hang it up, been there and done that :p

Azkaban is just my favorite HP movie, since 1 and 2 were pretty garbage in retrospect once you get past the wonder. I thought 4 was good, and 5 is when I fell off (coincidentally when I fell off with the books too)

Nothing Yates brings to the table HP wise hooks me at all. Tarzan looks alright.

EktorOni

This is a bad trailer. Quite bad.

And especially jarring, coming from the fantastic Rogue One trailer also released this week.

Akiraptor

Visually it looks interesting, but I expected more fantastic beasts, or at least hints of them. I know it's a teaser trailer, but it hasn't gotten me more excited than I was already.

Apt101

It doesn't inspire the same sense of wonder as the early HP films, but I'll take it. Colin Farrell seems to be playing another investigator type? He is really type cast in US(centric) films that way. Shame, because he showed he is amazing in roles like In Bruges and Seven Psychos.

LuuKyK

Added the pottermore analysis to the OP. So many HP related things in the trailer that I missed the first time. Holy shit, this is super exciting.

Wow. Seems a lot more city-centric than I was anticipating, especially since the book mostly follows his journies across the globe charting magical beasts.

Still, this seems like a fun spinoff. Always wondered what America was like in the HP universe.

People tend to forget that this was confirmed to be a trilogy. I am pretty sure not all three of them will be city-centric.

Visually it looks interesting, but I expected more fantastic beasts, or at least hints of them. I know it's a teaser trailer, but it hasn't gotten me more excited than I was already.

I think they started releasing trailers too early, this should have just been the first teaser. We already got one teaser that didn't show much, and here's another one that still doesn't show much. Star Wars VII did something similar, only that second teaser beat the religion back into fans and this one is just sort of an extension of the same kinda stuff.

But it's the Potterverse, they can literally do whatever the fuck they want with it.

Im gonna watch it because im a huge fan of the series but man this move could use some color. Sheesh. Also pumped cuz i didnt know Colin Ferrell was attached to the film.

Looks fun.

My kid, though. She could not be less excited about this movie. She is a big HP fan and the idea of a HP-universe movie without the characters she loves is an affront to cinema as far as she is concerned.

Dragging her to the theater anyway, I want to see it ;p

pestul

I usually rag on trailers for revealing too much but this one frankly didn't show enough. Redmayne looks like he was born to join this universe though.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
looking gooood

I bet the racism towards wizards and vice versa is amped up to the max in this trilogy

SalvaPot

Style and presentation looks stellar, Newt looks like a dork so I think he is going to make a fun protagonist. Also damn, expelled?

This is the first Straight-to-movie adventure for Rowling and Yates, hope is good!

ivysaur12

Banned
This looks so good. I'm so excited.

I'm also stoked that this is an entirely new story and I have no idea what's going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom