• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" New Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Who else in the Potterverse has been expelled from Hogwart's? Do you have to be especially bad to get kicked out, or is it like any sorta snooty boarding school?

Looks solid, but Yates has fooled me before. Also are they seriously just going to use the HP theme again

that theme was the best part of the trailer. i love the setting and i'll watch it for more potter but eh.

smiled when the theme kicked in though, it's damn good.

Mentioning Hagrid, was he still not allowed to use his wand after he was proven innocent? I did a re-read last year and I think he was still using those broken pieces inside of his umbrella discretely.

Edit: Damn right Disco!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Much better trailer this time.

I was surprised they used the traditional Harry Potter theme because I assumed since this wasn't a Harry Potter movie, they'd just do "sound-alikes" and make a new theme for this series since the HP theme is the HP theme. But I guess it's not the HP theme rather the "Wizarding World" theme now and will be shared across every film that ever comes from this cinematic universe.

That said, now I'm pretty excited. Isn't the book this is based on completely different? Should I bother reading it? Or is it more of an encyclopedia?

Now I really want to rewatch all the HP movies. I'm on vacation and didn't think to bring them. Guess I'll have a marathon when I get home.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The music gives me goosebumps, fuck.

I can't say I care much about a prequel like this, but as a huge HP fan, I'll be there day one as always.

I was surprised they used the traditional Harry Potter theme because I assumed since this wasn't a Harry Potter movie, they'd just do "sound-alikes" and make a new theme for this series since the HP theme is the HP theme. But I guess it's not the HP theme rather the "Wizarding World" theme now and will be shared across every film that ever comes from this cinematic universe.

It's far too familiar and iconic by this point. It'll have its own themes and motifs as per usual, but they're not gonna ever ditch that theme lol

Mentioning Hagrid, was he still not allowed to use his wand after he was proven innocent? I did a re-read last year and I think he was still using those broken pieces inside of his umbrella discretely.

He used it occasionally but he wasn't supposed to. He was breaking the law, but he broke the law all the time.

edit: technically I don't think he was ever exonerated either. Not for what got him expelled anyway

ivysaur12

Banned

His wand was repaired after it was snapped, but also hidden within his umbrella. He's not supposed to use it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

he was never officially allowed to use magic again, as he confesses to Harry in the first book

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
He's "not allowed" since he was expelled. That is to say, just don't get caught. Dumbledore of course knew it was unfair and probably set it up completely for him to have a secret wand in his umbrella. I guess no one in the Wizarding world cares if he uses magic as long as he doesn't draw attention from the Ministry who would probably be really strict about it. Dumbledore would probably have defended him if he had gotten caught back when he was alive. But I wonder if Hagrid was vindicated or cleared of charges and allowed to take classes and get his wizarding GED so to speak when Voldemort was defeated. That would be nice.

It's far too familiar and iconic by this point. It'll have its own themes and motifs as per usual, but they're not gonna ever ditch that theme lol
When it was left out of the first trailer and replaced with a sound-alike I figured it wasn't coming back. Will be nice to hear that in a theater again.

Quick

Banned
Is this music just for the trailer? That small bit of Hedwig's Theme was cool, but I hope the movie gets its own sound and doesn't rely too much on established Potter themes.

Looks good to me. It's weird (but cool) to see the American side of the Wizarding World.

JSevere

Digging the setting and the look of it. Not much else to go off of still, but it's a Potter flick so I'm there regardless.

he was never officially allowed to use magic again, as he confesses to Harry in the first book

His wand was repaired after it was snapped, but also hidden within his umbrella. He's not supposed to use it.

I don't think y'all read the part about after he was proven innocent.

technically I don't think he was ever exonerated either. Not for what got him expelled anyway.

I was thinking that too and that's pretty fucked up because that fucked up his whole life. Never got a proper education and he could have made more of himself. Dumbledore was gracious enough to make him Groundskeeper and eventually a teacher, but if he had finished his education he could've been something like Madam Beauxbatons woman and more adept to defend himself.

EhoaVash

Still too much mystery in trailer. If it wasn't Harry Potter related, this trailer would gotten so much flack for ...showing nothing really :/

I want to be excited. I liked Harry Potter series but the David Yates directed ones are my least favorite :(

Skab

I was too in love with the HP books to be able to enjoy the movies as much as I hoped. (All the differences bothered me.)

But I've not read Fantastic Beasts, and it's my understanding that this new trilogy is simply inspired by the book and is more of it's own tale, so I wont have the previous problem.

Basically, I'm in!

Jonm1010

Banned
Still skeptical because of Yates but hopefully this delivers.

Not sure why they didn't reach higher for a better director? Seems like a job that good directors would love to be a part of.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I don't think y'all read the part about after he was proven innocent.

I was thinking that too and that's pretty fucked up because that fucked up his whole life. Never got a proper education and he could have made more of himself. Dumbledore was gracious enough to make him Groundskeeper and eventually a teacher, but if he had finished his education he could've been something like Madam Beauxbatons woman and more adept to defend himself.

I think Hagrid was more than capable of defending himself, he's immune to spells and his immense strenght was enough to send various pieces of shit flying across on various occasions, and I also guess that, as a gamekeeper and teacher, he was indeed allowed to use magic again, although it's never officially mentioned, especially because having to deal with all these extremely dangerous creatures could prove problematic without it

the fact he doesn't choose a second wand is a mystery, maybe he just likes his fancy umbrella

Not sure why they didn't reach higher for a better director? Seems like a job that good directors would love to be a part of.

Regardless of your personal opinion (not attacking it), they made shitloads of money, were mostly well-reviewed (Deathly Hallows Part 2 only has 13 negative reviews out of 308 on RT), Half-Blood Prince received an Academy nomination for cinematography, Yates got along super well with the cast and crew, getting better performances out of the younger cast, they mostly looked fantastic, and the only real issues I had were extremely nitpicky scripting issues and nothing much to do really with the director.

I don't see how he isn't a good director, and very successfully closed out that huge series for the studio. It makes perfect sense for them to get him back, from many angles. I mean again, your opinion-- but it's by no means some mystery.

KingK

Regardless of your personal opinion (not attacking it), they made shitloads of money, were mostly well-reviewed (Deathly Hallows Part 2 only has 13 negative reviews out of 308 on RT), Half-Blood Prince received an Academy nomination for cinematography, Yates got along super well with the cast and crew, getting better performances out of the younger cast, they mostly looked fantastic, and the only real issues I had were extremely nitpicky scripting issues and nothing much to do really with the director.

I don't see how he isn't a good director, and very successfully closed out that huge series for the studio. It makes perfect sense for them to get him back, from many angles. I mean again, your opinion-- but it's by no means some mystery.
Yeah I don't think Yates is too bad. I have issues with his movies, but Half-Blood Prince is probably my second favorite behind Azkaban.

BTM

Yeah I don't think Yates is too bad. I have issues with his movies, but Half-Blood Prince is probably my second favorite behind Azkaban.

These are my exact thoughts as well. HBP is the best Yates HP film, and 2nd best HP film overall. This trailer gives me hope that he's elevated his game.

inm8num2

Trailer doesn't really sell the concept of the movie, but they're probably trying to keep its secrets and surprises as such.

Jonm1010

Banned

He is safe and functional but nothing he did with any of the films was notably great.

I do like Bruno Delbonnel and so I can see why Half Blood Prince got a cinematography nod. Amelie and Inside Llewyn Davis are really beautiful examples of good cinematography and he was a key in that. And the Academy seems to like him.

I mean maybe if Cuaron hadn't directed one of the films I wouldn't have something so great to critique Yates work against, but it is what it is.

Jonm1010

Banned
These are my exact thoughts as well. HBP is the best Yates HP film, and 2nd best HP film overall. This trailer gives me hope that he's elevated his game.
Delbonell is a pretty good cinematographer. I think his collaboration really helped that film. Wish he had stayed on for the last 2 films.

kirblar

Rowling being able to write directly for the medium should result in a lot of benefits for the pacing/structure.

He is safe and functional but nothing he did with any of the films was notably great.

I do like Bruno Delbonnel and so I can see why Half Blood Prince got a cinematography nod.

I mean maybe if Cuaron hadn't directed one of the films I wouldn't have something so great to critique Yates work against, but it is what it is.
I know it is damn hard to separate who made what call between the cinematographer and director, but I personally loved the way Yates shot all his Harry Potter films. They were gorgeous with some really creative shots here and there. Deathly Hallows especially was a treat. I know I'll get a lot of hate for this, but after re-watching in the last few months I felt like Yates brought more to the table of Harry Potter than Cuaron.

Even if I want to use "safe" as a criticism, which I don't because I feel like it's a deplorably throw-away criticism used to say "the director didn't do something CRAZY enough," the movies did take risks in some ways and they could have kept the whole hoo-haa magical whimsy intact for families but didn't do that. The look of the movies got very different and became less about the whiz-bang and I've seen people complain about this.

So no, I don't think he's "safe," he adapted to the tone of the books going forward and didn't pander to the crowd that thinks Harry Potter should be nothing but people doing cool magic shit. And there's a lot of those. It's also not really a series where the director should feel as though they don't need to be safe, it isn't an arthouse picture.

movie or book?
Movie. Though...I might actually have gotten a little excited. On recent re-watch, Order of the Phoenix didn't sit as well as I remembered.

My favorite book is Goblet of Fire. All the Harry Potter books have some nature of mystery to them, but Goblet of Fire just did it the best. And I loved it.

Not sure how I feel about this, but it will be fun going back to the HP universe.

I'd always kinda hoped they would make a movie on being an auror from the Ministry of Magic.

Sean C

Not much in the way of fantastic beasts thus far, but I quite like the look of the movie. Redmayne, especially, fits right into the Harry Potter universe.

Ad0ve

Banned
Still skeptical because of Yates but hopefully this delivers.

Because Yates HP movies made a shitload of money, had good critical reception and he worked very well with the actors?

Edit: Basically what brandonh83 said lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom