• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" New Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do wonder how much less flak this movie will get, seeing as people won't be able to complain about their favorite moments being cut from the book.

BTM

I do wonder how much less flak this movie will get, seeing as people won't be able to complain about their favorite moments being cut from the book.

It'll be quite refreshing. I'll admit I was one of those people who would complain about certain parts being left out. I remember being pissed off at the end of Azkaban when the Firebolt showed up. Once OotP came around I accepted the fact that the movies didn't have to be exactly identical to the books.

Sean C

I'm really interested to see what a J.K. Rowling screenplay is like. The HP films often struggled to fit a very novelistic story into a movie; in this case, she can tailor the material for a film right off the bat.

LuuKyK

People will change from "this was not in the book" to " its Yates fault" if this thread is anything to go by. lol

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
nah, this time we'll hear complaints from Americans
"people here don't talk like that"
"of course the wizards have to be assholes here"
"Omfg what kinda stupid name is Ilvermorny"
" this movie is racist"

etc

Movie. Though...I might actually have gotten a little excited. On recent re-watch, Order of the Phoenix didn't sit as well as I remembered.

My favorite book is Goblet of Fire. All the Harry Potter books have some nature of mystery to them, but Goblet of Fire just did it the best. And I loved it.

GOF is incredible, easily my second favourite after OOTP, which has it all

rekameohs

Banned
Really liked the trailer, a lot better than that earlier one.

And I think the Yates Potters are good to great. Don't really know where the internet's hate-boner comes from, other than "oh no, that was different from the book!!"

GavinUK86

INHAaks.gif

Jonm1010

Banned
Even if I want to use "safe" as a criticism, which I don't because I feel like it's a deplorably throw-away criticism used to say "the director didn't do something CRAZY enough," the movies did take risks in some ways and they could have kept the whole hoo-haa magical whimsy intact for families but didn't do that. The look of the movies got very different and became less about the whiz-bang and I've seen people complain about this.

So no, I don't think he's "safe," he adapted to the tone of the books going forward and didn't pander to the crowd that thinks Harry Potter should be nothing but people doing cool magic shit. And there's a lot of those. It's also not really a series where the director should feel as though they don't need to be safe, it isn't an arthouse picture.

Listen you clearly feel passionately about Yates. I don't. That is fine. We can disagree. I never read the books so all I am judging the series on is my experience with the films. And frankly only PoA actually impressed me enough to want to return to it multiple times willingly.

I didn't dislike his films. They also weren't anything very memorable. They lacked personality and were a mixed bag for me. I mean I distinctly remember he struggled with establishing shots in 5-6 and it felt like if you hadn't read the books things became hard to follow and some story issues cropped where I was asking my girlfriend to explain things the film decided to leave out but felt required for proper understanding. That is unacceptable story telling to me. The pacing was often odd and the films felt disjointed at times and the overall imagery was boring outside HBP.

So from my perspective I would of preferred Curaon had not turned down the film or they would of brought in someone new. I get WHY they went with Yates as a backup. I just personally am still skeptical this will be more then solid like I felt his films were and this trailer reminded me of how uninteresting his films often looked with his bland coloring.

Saya

David Yates is directing? And he's doing that new Tarzan film too? Well, at least he will have made one commercially successful film this year.

Draconian

That just looks incredibly dull to me. I understand that they don't want to put anything big in the trailers, but there was nothing in there at all that made me excited to see this.

Wasn't there at least one fantastic beast in the trailer? That flying feathered-Serpent thingy at 1:27

I'm on the side of loving that HP theme, sends chills down my spine.

This looks great, I cannot explain how excited I am for more in the Harry potter world.

Also, this trailer was actually good! That first one was...not great. Kinda funny how they're also calling this one the 'teaser trailer', and seemingly ignoring that first attempt.

Yates is sleepy and safe. Cuaron did the best IMO.

Agreed - Yates has a stunning ability to suck all the magic and charm out of world about magic and charms.

This is a bad trailer. Quite bad.

And especially jarring, coming from the fantastic Rogue One trailer also released this week.

On the contrary, I found the Rogue One trailer to be all sorts of average, manufactured looking, and underwhelming. Plus cheesy as all fuck - yet I'm still pumped.

This was a good trailer - not a showstopper, but a good trailer.

It's a Niffler!

Geist-

Based on the trailer alone it looks better than all 8 HP movies. The sets/costumes looks amazing and I love 1920s NYC.

On the contrary, I found the Rogue One trailer to be all sorts of average, manufactured looking, and underwhelming. Plus cheesy as all fuck - yet I'm still pumped.

This was a good trailer - not a showstopper, but a good trailer.

Now I feel self-conscious for enjoying both trailers immensely.

KonradLaw

Looks interesting. Love Harry Potter world and I'm glad I will finally get a story about adult and what's more a story I don't already know from reading books.

Based on the trailer alone it looks better than all 8 HP movies. The sets/costumes looks amazing and I love 1920s NYC.

God I know right?

GAF seems to have the effect that you become self-conscious for liking anything

B33

Banned
Really wish Yates wasn't involved.
I would have preferred Alfonso Cuarón for his distinct visual style, but David Yates is a fine choice. It can't be as bad the first two Harry Potter films.

Terry Gilliam should have directed those movies. Chris Columbus was a bad choice.

_Isaac

I'm a little surprised it's so... New Yorky. I was expecting an Indiana Jones type of adventure set in the wizarding world. I'm thinking a lot of the CGI is probably still being worked on though.

Nah, the Rogue One trailer was enjoyable enough. It just had some awkward moments, sure, and coming off of the amazing 'Star Wars' feel of The Force Awakens trailers it didn't blow me away.

Basically, because it was Star Wars I had higher & different expectations for it.

Peru

I'm sure the script will be better crafted than the HP movies but I'm not sure the concept is going to get to people in the same way. An adult businessman on a trip vs school kids exploring a magical school.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with it as a trailer is that it leans SO HEAVILY on the HP universe vs. showing any fantastic beasts.

I guess that's not always a bad thing if its a surprise.

LuuKyK

God I know right?

GAF seems to have the effect that you become self-conscious for liking anything

Coming from Facebook, youtube, fansites, and walking into this thread as someone who can't wait for the movie has been quite a... contrasting experience, I would say. This really seems to be the only place where people don't like the trailer in general. So weird. I feel left out in this thread. :(

I'm a little surprised it's so... New Yorky. I was expecting an Indiana Jones type of adventure set in the wizarding world. I'm thinking a lot of the CGI is probably still being worked on though.

Well, part 2 and part 3 could be that. Perhaps Rowling (and Yates) wants to do a lot of in-depth world building across the trilogy, with just part one focusing on America/New York. Each part could go in-depth on other parts of the Wizarding World.

B33

Banned
I'm sure we'll get a better look at the creatures in the next trailer. The film won't be released until November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom