• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" New Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then came Yates and ruined the series. Andhe gets to direct this as well :/

I wouldn't go nearly that far and say he ruined it; if anything, he got that series to the finish line when it looked like it had no chance to get there in time

He ain't my favorite but he can get movies out, so he's got that on Del Toro :p

Branduil

I'll give Yates this: he had his work cut out for him, if only because the later books have their own tone problems. Still, he ended up just exacerbating the overall dourness.

inky

Yates has a bland style and wasted some of the more fun material left, but he definitely steered the ship, and more importantly, got better performances out of characters that were spiraling down a hole.

Also, fu Bronson, leave Del Toro alone ;_;

inky

I DRIVE THE KNIFE IN
EVERY CHANCE I GET

It still shocks me that WB puts up with his shit after he did The Hobbit dirty and keeps fucking about with Pacific Rim

Don't forget he also told them to stuff Justice League Dark up there so he could go do PR2, which isn't happening anymore ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Now his last option is trying to swindle Cameron and Fox out of some money for a remake with a Goyer script. Might as well retire innit ;_;

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm pretty sure the "Fantastic Beasts" the title refer to are in fact... Americans. thatsthetwist.jpg

Top+gear+i+don+t+want+to+be+anti+american+or+something+just_09fa9c_4669941.jpg

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

LuuKyK

Apparently Pottermore will be introducing more Fantastic Beasts until the movie is out. Today they talked about The Niffler and The Swooping Evil:

Pottermore can exclusively reveal that the Niffler and a previously unknown creature called Swooping Evil will feature in Fantastic Beasts.

There’s a lot to take in from the new Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them trailer, including some wondrous beasts.

They may have only featured on screen for a few, glimmering seconds, but there was no mistaking the appearance of not one, but two magical creatures in the new trailer. Did you spot them?

First of all, we see a small, grey-snouted fellow who seems to have got itself a purse. This adorable little kleptomaniac – as we’re sure many of you will have figured out – is a Niffler, who was first introduced to us by Hagrid in Goblet of Fire.

Nifflers are known for their penchant for seeking out shiny things, and as we see in the trailer, this one has hit the jackpot. You may remember that the financially-challenged Ron Weasley was particularly taken with the cheeky little critters, and now we see one on film, we wish deeply that we could have one too.

Next up is something pretty special – a creature you won’t have seen or read about before. Introducing… the Swooping Evil.

We don’t know much about the Swooping Evil so far, except from what we see of it in the trailer. Newt throws a mysterious ball into the air and an immaculate, blue bird-like creature emerges from it, like a butterfly from a cocoon. But what exactly is it?

Considering the film’s title, it’s fair to say these won’t be the only creatures we’ll encounter, so keep checking in on Pottermore for more fantastic beasts, and quite literally, where to find them.

FB_Niffler.gif
FB_SwoopingEvil.gif

Really excited for the Harry Potter universe to be expanded!

Trailer didn't show much in the way of 'fantastic beasts' but still looks interesting.

Goosebumps when the harry potter soundtrack played; should be something kept to the mainline films though.

The music is Interstellar's trailer music mixed with the HP theme. That sounds awesome and this movie actually looks pretty cool. I'm down.

LuuKyK

I am starting to think that each Beast is going to act like a different "spell" in the movie, as in each will play a different role, almost in a Pokemon way.

I mean obviously there will still be your common spells like Wingardium Leviosa, Expelliarmus etc, but the way they are presenting all the beasts one by one seems to me like they want to give character to them. Could be interesting.

Yes, the first 2 HP films were slow and boring but at least they had comprehensible plots. By the 3rd and especially 4th films WB just seemed to give up and assumed that everyone watching had already read the books.

I'll never forget watching the 4th movie at home and having to pause every 10 minutes to explain to my parents just what the hell was going on.

yayay.

you know what I was thinking of the other day

is HP, WB's "Star Wars"?

I think it could be, but not really. HP had a source material, while SW iirc, was all of Lucas's doing.

Re-using the HP theme is to be expected; WB is never letting that go. However, I have to admit, the theme did get me hyped especially with the lead-in and drums in the background.

yayay.

you know what I was thinking of the other day

is HP, WB's "Star Wars"?

I think it could be, but not really. HP had a source material, while SW iirc, was all of Lucas's doing.

That really depends if Rowling gave/is going to give (I haven't been paying much to this) the rights of the HP-verse to WB.

.JayZii

Banned
Looks pretty good. I haven't followed Harry Potter developments since the last book came out, but this looks like it could be a good time.

Some of the lines were a little too slurry/mumbly for me to make out. The main character's name, for instance. Thankfully, the thread has extensive notes.

That really depends if Rowling gave/is going to give (I haven't been paying much to this) the rights of the HP-verse to WB.
She had some pretty strict conditions on when they bought the rights in the first place. If they're gonna continue the story it's not gonna be unless she continues it first.

Skii

Trailer looks really good. It's not actually spoiling anything which is great to see in an age where a trailer can show the entire story (looks at BvS).

People have weird expectations calling it dull. It does enough to peak your interest and I'm sure the next trailer will reveal a bit more without ruining the mystery of the story or the world.

JeTmAn81

I'm not sure about this movie. I'm a big fan of J.K. Rowling (I've read all her books, not just Harry Potter) but the HP movies never quite captured the magic that was on the page. So much of that just comes from word choice and things playing out in your own head. I'll never have that connection with this series since it's straight to screen. We'll see how this goes.

Yes, the first 2 HP films were slow and boring but at least they had comprehensible plots. By the 3rd and especially 4th films WB just seemed to give up and assumed that everyone watching had already read the books.

I'll never forget watching the 4th movie at home and having to pause every 10 minutes to explain to my parents just what the hell was going on.
I see people say this a lot but honestly I think moviegoers are just kind of dumb too. If it's not explicitly spelled out they don't get it. See "plot holes" in the new Star Wars for example. GoF does suffer from this the most though (like Barty Crouch's death).

My favorite moment seeing the movies in theatres was in GoF when Voldemort is confronting the Death Eaters for abandoning him after his near-death.

Voldemort: (paraphrasing) And you, Lucius Malfoy, my most loyal supporter abandoned me when I needed you most.

Audience: stone faced

(Voldemort takes off Malfoy's mask and surprise, it's Malfoy!)

Audience: :O

Sean C

She had some pretty strict conditions on when they bought the rights in the first place. If they're gonna continue the story it's not gonna be unless she continues it first.
Yeah, Rowling has been able to keep a very tight grip on the rights to her material. She's got a ton of leverage in contract negotiations and, from what I recall about the Fantastic Beasts deal, has final approval over everything going forward, even the sequels that she's not likely going to be writing.

kharma45

Re-using the HP theme is to be expected; WB is never letting that go. However, I have to admit, the theme did get me hyped especially with the lead-in and drums in the background.

Why would they? It's an iconic theme. It'd be like Star Wars not reusing it's most famous notes.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm waaay too hung up on this trailer's music. Like it a lot.

Never been a Harry Potter fan beyond reading the first two books and seeing the first two movies (magic-fantasy has never really been my thing).

Howeva, I am interested in seeing Rowling play with American history some more, and be heavily involved in a screenplay. So I'll actually be there for this.

i hate harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban and i ain't afraid to say it!
I agree it's overrated, but damn. I think it's fantastic, just not in some other realm compared to some of the others.
i remember being a kid and being so excited to go watch this shit, i think it was father's day too coz my dad was with me, and from the opening credits to the final scene...i could not have been more disappointed. and i was like, what, 13 when that came out? ughhhhhhh. everything about that movie sucked. everything. there's not one scene that i appreciate or get excited for

even quidditch, which was always my favorite part of the movies, was butchered in that movie. fuck the third one!
Yeah, Rowling has been able to keep a very tight grip on the rights to her material. She's got a ton of leverage in contract negotiations and, from what I recall about the Fantastic Beasts deal, has final approval over everything going forward, even the sequels that she's not likely going to be writing.
yeah she gave brief details in a really old jonathan ross interview, back when the 7th book and 5th movie were premiering. she said something like "i didn't want to give them control over the rest of the story. so as long as they could guarantee that any of their sequels would be my sequels, then...then we could talk."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom