• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

Jazz-ism

Banned
nothing worse than watching marvel patch/smash 4 hype masochists

i want to tell them the truth...i want to save them but they just wont listen

alstein

I learned my lesson with Aquapazza. I'll buy Love Max when it hits $20 or less.

Well, we'll know about the netcode from the Japanese release- and AH3 had solid netcode- if that's what you're worried about.

Gameplay-wise, Examu > Arcsys these days

Kimosabae

Banned
If you're not being a cynical phallus it's quite clear the two phenomena aren't analogous in any way.

Furthermore, there's clear evidence that Nintendo has a pulse of the interests of the enthusiasts of its series, and could effect how the game is designed.

alstein

Aksys has the stones to actually press discs this time! Gotta do something with all that leftover Aquapazza stock.

So crossbuy with the Vita? A Mei-Fang pillow? I need some sort of incentive to wait 3 months on this and cancel my pre-order.

$30 less? Showing that these games sell in the US?

I was two days away from importing this myself, I'll wait now.

early October I'm going to have grind fighters hard in prep for TFC if Ultimax comes out around same time.

Jazz-ism

Banned
If you're not being a cynical phallus it's quite clear the two phenomena aren't analogous in any way.

Furthermore, there's clear evidence that Nintendo has a pulse of the interests of the enthusiasts of its series, and could effect how the game is designed.

except we have been here before. now granted things have somewhat changed, and there have been positive changes/notes made that please the series enthusiasts, but lets quickly review what we know (and see how misguided our optimism is):

* nintendo netplay still gonna be ass. what do you expect from a company that in 2014 still thinks netplay is a "gimmick"

* they have no interest in creating something real with it or paying any attention to the community. no real relationships or dialogues have been made. we are talking about a company that tried to shut down the stream of a community playing their game on the biggest stage 2 years ago.

*there is -0- chance nintendo has learned anything and will make any moves to create an outstanding product that caters to both casuals and the hardcore community. there will be no updates, no balance patches, nothing like that which are the positives that developers/games have access to now that they didnt a decade ago. its more of the same.

*bandai namco helps develop a lot of things. their presence is irrelevant.

am i cynical or do i just see things for what they are? reality is the cruelest dream... now if u want to actually get hype....let me know when the project m team hacks smash4 and we get proj m 2.0

jbug617

Banned
Well, we'll know about the netcode from the Japanese release- and AH3 had solid netcode- if that's what you're worried about.

Gameplay-wise, Examu > Arcsys these days

I'm worried about how fast the price dropped on Aquapazza. I think the same thing could happen to Love Max.

I also take it that there is a strong possibility of UNIB coming over.

$30 less? Showing that these games sell in the US?

I was two days away from importing this myself, I'll wait now.

early October I'm going to have grind fighters hard in prep for TFC if Ultimax comes out around same time.

Money's no object when it comes to DEM LOLIZ & I really think if Aksys knew the answer to question 2 they wouldn't have even tried pressing discs and went all digital this time around as well.

This is Arcana Heart. No way in hell was I waiting anyhow. By time this even comes out over here I would've had my fill. Just like with Vanilla before it.

Honestly, I'm just sick of uploading & watching videos of it and I just want to play it.

Dahbomb

They'll probably use the 3DS version as sort of a beta for the Wii U version.

Although I am not even sure if Nintendo knows the concept of beta testing.

Kimosabae

Banned
Jazz you're just being cynical. Not only are you fudging the facts, but you're completely misrepresenting people's expectations (at least my own). You're not keeping anyone grounded - you're just attempting to stamp on people's hopes for a good Smash game. Your post is silly precisely because you're being real.

Jazz-ism

Banned
Jazz you're just being cynical. Not only are you fudging the facts, but you're completely misrepresenting people's expectations (at least my own). You're not keeping anyone grounded - you're just attempting to stamp on people's hopes for a good Smash game. Your post is silly precisely because you're being real.

i laid out 2-3 solid points (purely focused on the devs and game standpoint, lets not even start general nintendo incompetence talk) on why those hopes are ill placed and likely to end in disappointment, and your response is im "just being cynical."

the sad part is i hope you are right. I really really do. but given the fact that the creator himself has stated he deliberately does not want to please the group you and I belong to...I just dont see this ending well. unrealistic expectations running rampant...

ive been burned before. i think ppl have short term memory

kirblar

I love that it appears Sakurai's going ahead with not announcing unlockable characters again. (I suspect this means we have a simultaneous worldwide release, otherwise there's not much of a point.)

Hopefully the last few unlocks are less of a letdown than last time though. "Congratulations you have...Wolf and ROB?" :(

Metaknight crying was so loud it blew people's ears out. Nintendo didn't do squat
They fixed MK7 eventually, so if something's really egregious they'll likely patch it.......eventually. A Smash patch is definitely not at "Marvel" levels of unlikelihood.

Infinite

At this point I think I'm more hyped for UNIB than Love Max!!!!! I hope the community for both games are strong cause I'm looking forward to playing those seriously

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I thought maybe you could find him in the SG thread but I guess not?

Can anyone get a hold of him and ask if he's willing to do the spotlight? No pressure if he doesn't want to.

Dark Souls 2 came out on console and then PC a couple of days ago. I know he's as addicted to it as any other Souls fan. Could have sworn I saw him posting on the OT for Dark Souls II, unless he has other illegitimate relatives on GAF that go by the same name.

I laughed at this for some reason...
SolarPowered, SolarKnight, Solune.... Praise the Sun!

PRAISE IT!

Fucking goobers still caring about whether there's a press conference or not.

i know right?

Also, I kinda agree with Jazz on this. Nintendo tends to disappoint to make ends reach with a casual audience when it involves iconic franchises. Smash 64 was good, Smash Melee was hella hype, got me into the series seriously for 8 years until I dropped it to pick up Marvel and SF. Brawl came out a while before that but it just ruined everything I liked about the original Smash.

The assumptions may be one thing (they are odd since we haven't seen the product yet and only extrapolating from previous iterations of the game, who knows if Nintendo enlisting Namco did the game a lot of good to the point that the online will be glorious) but I'll play it safe and hold my criticisms of Nintendo until the game comes out.

Nyoro SF

Melee is actually not that fast of a game. It's just that Sheik/Falco/Fox are the fastest characters you see a lot of while Captain Falcon and Marth just have fast dashes (even with that Marth and Falcon are known better for dominating space and battles with huge hitboxes, not because they fly around at mach speed).

A middle ground between Melee and Brawl is not a great thing to hear.

kirblar

Melee is actually not that fast of a game. It's just that Sheik/Falco/Fox are the fastest characters you see a lot of while Captain Falcon and Marth just have fast dashes (even with that Marth and Falcon are known better for dominating space and battles with huge hitboxes, not because they fly around at mach speed).

A middle ground between Melee and Brawl is not a great thing to hear.
People playing competitively (who are going to tend to be people with very good reaction speeds) are almost always going to be comfortable with the higher speeds and push for them to be higher. (See: Turbo modes, "Anime" games, etc.) But for people who aren't (like me, and especially younger kids/casual players) it can be a gameplay detriment.

As an example- I think Goldeneye's relatively slow pace of play (compared to traditional FPS shooter offerings at the time on PC) was a big under-appreciated contributing reason for why it blew up so huge at the time.

Shouta

Oh just wondering like when the venue is open, when matches are gonna start, that kind of stuff;

I haven't been to a big tourney in many many years, so I don't know how they go these days.

Oh ok.

Well, Pool schedule will be up soon but what games do you want to know about?

As for venue, we should be open Friday night at 5pm. 10am or so on Sat/Sun until like 11pm or midnight.

KOF is gonna be crazy this year for fans. If you like to watch it, be ready to get A LOT of it, lol.

Kimosabae

Banned
Melee is most definitely not too fast. You just need to play the game enough to adjust to the speed. People thought Marvel was "too fast" for a good year after its release. Unless you have some form of debilitation, a game's speed tends to be negligible in terms of accessibility.

People playing competitively (who are going to tend to be people with very good reaction speeds) are almost always going to be comfortable with the higher speeds and push for them to be higher. (See: Turbo modes, "Anime" games, etc.) But for people who aren't (like me, and especially younger kids/casual players) it can be a gameplay detriment.

As an example- I think Goldeneye's relatively slow pace of play (compared to traditional FPS shooter offerings at the time on PC) was a big under-appreciated contributing reason for why it blew up so huge at the time.

This assumes they can tell in the first place, most people can't.

Azure J

Melee is most definitely not too fast. You just need to adjust to the speed. People thought Marvel was "too fast" for a good year after its release.

Pretty much. FWIW, coming from Smash into Marvel I thought Marvel was actually faster for a good bit (but with fewer freedoms in movement).

Infinite

Melee is most definitely not too fast. You just need to play the game enough to adjust to the speed. People thought Marvel was "too fast" for a good year after its release. Unless you have some form of debilitation, a game's speed tends to be negligible in terms of accessibility.

I don't think it was inaccessible but the amount of inputs fox and falco needed to operate made me stay clear away from those two.

kirblar

SF v Marvel tournament entry rates would say otherwise.

I'm not trying to crap on fast games (I wouldn't touch Marvel/Anime games' speeds), I'm just saying that it really can be detrimental if you're going for a relatively broad audience.

When people say "I have trouble with fast games" - responding with "The problem is you" is a pretty silly answer.

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't think it was inaccessible but the amount of inputs fox and falco needed to operate made me stay clear away from those two.

Awesome. You made a smart and humble decision in staying away from high-ceiling characters and allowed those willing to challenge themselves to have their fun. Yea for diversity. Win-win.

Kirblir; SF gets more entrants because Marvel's too fast? Please.

BadWolf

Oh ok.

Well, Pool schedule will be up soon but what games do you want to know about?

As for venue, we should be open Friday night at 5pm. 10am or so on Sat/Sun until like 11pm or midnight.

KOF is gonna be crazy this year for fans. If you like to watch it, be ready to get A LOT of it, lol.

Excellent, can't wait.

Silky

Banned
it definitely IS given the parties involved

You're acting as if Nintendo is foreign to the idea of patching content/adding additional post-content.

I get that Nintendo has no idea how to do online correctly, and I have low expectations for them to get it right (seeing as they've yet to release a game with serviceable online--Mario Kart being the only big title that features netplay..) At the same time, if they go with what they've learned from their 3DS releases (MK7 has good netcode despite the flaws with that game, and Smash'll probably be decent--it's all P2P servers in the end) there could be something worthwhile coming out of it.

Delicious.

El Sabroso

it is scary at the beginning, but definitely is too fun to learn all advanced stuff, Samus is a good starter since is not too fast and has a lot of tricks to learn, then you can jump to faster characters

The thing is for your average player, Fox/Falco really don't require any more inputs then any other character (i.e. baby bullets lol), that's something only competitive players will notice.

Top Bottom