• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

Infinite

it is scary at the beginning, but definitely is too fun to learn all advanced stuff, Samus is a good starter since is not too fast and has a lot of tricks to learn, then you can jump to faster characters

It's not that I just had no desire to learn those technical nuances just to be able to compete and probably still be a pot monster. It wasn't rewarding.

The thing is for your average player, Fox/Falco really don't require any more inputs then any other character (i.e. baby bullets lol), that's something only competitive players will notice.

I'm speaking as a competive player of course but yeah you're right.

Marz

I got respect for Fox players because even though he's broken...he takes an incredible amount of effort to win with, Falco is brain dead easy and terribly overpowered.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I got respect for Fox players because even though he's broken...he takes an incredible amount of effort to win with, Falco is brain dead easy and terribly overpowered.

Falco is so good. That's why I stuck with him instead of Fox cause your asking for carpal tunnel syndrome. Eventually my hands gave out on me so I picked up Shiek instead. A lot more simple but sadly no spikes -_-

Jazz-ism

Banned
SF v Marvel tournament entry rates would say otherwise.

I'm not trying to crap on fast games (I wouldn't touch Marvel/Anime games' speeds), I'm just saying that it really can be detrimental if you're going for a relatively broad audience.

When people say "I have trouble with fast games" - responding with "The problem is you" is a pretty silly answer.

>: } kirblar ur a christopher robin type dude

Nyoro SF

SF v Marvel tournament entry rates would say otherwise.

...I'm going to go on a limb here and say that the tournament entry rates for Marvel and its speed have ZERO correlation.

Same goes for the little Goldeneye example back there.

While I don't mind if you just state your preferences for speed like I have, pulling tales from your ass as factual statements is pretty untrustworthy.

Kimosabae

Banned
Falco has just as high a ceiling as Fox does.

Anytime someone calls a character "braindead" or "overpowered": bells go off immediately.

I find it amusing that some people often want to be viewed as hospitable and advocating of competitive mindsets until something overtly challenges their personal, practical competitiveness. What's funny is that they don't seem to be conscious of what is actually being challenged. The delitescent scrub bursts forth from their pretense with the alacrity of a newborn child in that moment.

Not calling anyone out in particular, this is in regards to the current vibe of this thread.

vulva

Anytime someone calls a character "braindead" or "overpowered": bells go off immediately.

I find it amusing that some people often want to be viewed as hospitable and advocating of competitive mindsets until something overtly challenges their personal, practical competitiveness. What's funny is that they don't seem to be conscious of what is actually being challenged. The delitescent scrub bursts forth from their pretense with the alacrity of a newborn child in that moment.

Not calling anyone out in particular, this is in regards to the current vibe of this thread.

ya but viper is braindead

Infinite

Wow you're being condescending for almost no reason.

Meta Knight is overpowered, come at me bro

kirblar

...I'm going to go on a limb here and say that the tournament entry rates for Marvel and its speed have ZERO correlation.

Same goes for the little Goldeneye example back there.

While I don't mind if you just state your preferences for speed like I have, pulling tales from your ass as factual statements is pretty untrustworthy.
It's my opinion, which I'm very confident in. It's not based on my preferences (I like casual Marvel/BB/etc.), but both my personal experiences and observations of other people and of other data. You may disagree, but I think you're sort of being willfully ignorant if you don't think that the "only a god with reaction speeds in the 99th percentile can block this" stuff in high-level Marvel has no correlation with less people choosing to play it in a tournament setting.
Meta Knight is overpowered, come at me bro
You are obviously a scrub who simply needs to learn how to fight him. He's perfectly fair and balanced.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Eh, the Smash tournament doesn't say much in terms of Nintendo/Sakurai having a more competitive focus. Nintendo pretty much needs anything for momentum right now and they're gearing up for their next big title that is unique because it's on both of their platforms. It's good for the community though.

If we can't get SolarPowered, then SolarKnight or Solune work as well.
SolarKnight it is then, don't want to go through the trouble of hunting down SolarPowered to be frank.

SolarKnight, you willing to do this week's spotlight?

Kimosabae

Banned
Wow you're being condescending for almost no reason.

Except I'm really not. I'm trying to get people to realize that it truly is scrubby to not step up to these challenges instead of dismissing them outright with excuses. "Scrubby" is not an insult, if Seth Killian is anyone to appreciate. Everyone has their scrubby moments: lord knows that I do. But as soon as I realize I'm playing the blame game instead of taking self-responsibility to overcome whatever hurdle I'm currently facing - I become a better player in that very moment.

It's my opinion, which I'm very confident in. It's not based on my preferences (I like casual Marvel/BB/etc.), but both my personal experiences and observations of other people and of other data. You may disagree, but I think you're sort of being willfully ignorant if you don't think that the "only a god with reaction speeds in the 99th percentile can block this" stuff in high-level Marvel has no correlation with less people choosing to play it in a tournament setting.

so by this logic, why has Brawl fallen off as of late

Infinite

Except I'm really not. I'm trying to get people to realize that it truly is scrubby to not step up to these challenges instead of dismissing them outright with excuses. "Scrubby" is not an insult, if Seth Killian is anyone to appreciate. Everyone has their scrubby moments: lord knows that I do. But as soon as I realize I'm playing the blame game instead of taking self-responsibility to overcome whatever hurdle I'm currently facing - I become a better player in that very moment.

Maybe I'm taking what you're saying a bit too personal but in regards to my last couple of posts in this thread I admitted that I don't care to play characters that have a high execution threshold mainly because I'm lazy but also because my enjoyment of fighting games comes from player to player interactions and the joy of actually controlling your characters. Characters that I can't control properly frustrate me personally so much so that losing with them doesn't bring me enjoyment. It's important that you have fun when you losing and winning with a video game.

All that being said if you think the mentality of picking a character who suits you and avoiding characters you don't is scrub mentality then I guess it is what it is. However you can't impose what you enjoy about a particular game onto others even on a competitive level. I never said people are fools for trying to master fox I simply said I ain't about that life. For me the game is about how I interact with the other player and not what I can pull off because I practice in training mode than you.

Azure J

Smash kiosks at Best Buys? Which means I'm gonna have to deal with people running in to play, possibly? Nintendo hates me confirmed.

Just saw your post on the matter in the other thread. I feel so sorry for you.

This is what you get for asking for Marf nerfs. :p

kirblar

There's a difference, though, between personal frustration at a given technique/matchup and the slow realization that a certain matchup/character may be a problem because other options lack the tools to effectively match up against it. Margins definitely matter, too. Cammy/Akuma are top tier in AE2012, but they're not so much better than the rest of the characters as to invalidate them as reasonable options. Characters like MetaKnight and Kokonoe, though, with such a massive gap, become massive liabilities for a competitve game as they strangle diversity out of the game. If people liked monotony, Chess would be way more popular.

FSLink

Banned
Melee is most definitely not too fast. You just need to play the game enough to adjust to the speed. People thought Marvel was "too fast" for a good year after its release. Unless you have some form of debilitation, a game's speed tends to be negligible in terms of accessibility.

I disagree and yeah the way you phrased this feels pretty condescending. I don't consider it too fast now, but I know when I first picked the game back the speed as a casual definitely felt fast. I always felt 64 had a good game speed that led itself well to both casuals and competitive matches. I wanted Brawl to be somewhere near that speed but with a larger cast and better balance. Unfortunately we didn't even get hitstun in that game, haha.

I wouldn't mind something like Melee's speed, but considering it's Nintendo, and the fact that other big franchises seem to go for a slower paced fighter (see Marvel 3 vs Marvel 2, SF4 vs SF2, etc), I think hoping for something like 64 seems reasonable.

Toxi

Banned
There's a difference, though, between personal frustration at a given technique/matchup and the slow realization that a certain matchup/character may be a problem because other options lack the tools to effectively match up against it. Margins definitely matter, too. Cammy/Akuma are top tier in AE2012, but they're not so much better than the rest of the characters as to invalidate them as reasonable options. Characters like MetaKnight and Kokonoe, though, with such a massive gap, become massive liabilities for a competitve game as they strangle diversity out of the game. If people liked monotony, Chess would be way more popular.
If we're talking about characters that strangle diversity, King Dedede is just as bad as Metaknight. Game just has balance issues in general, and unlike Melee the mechanics don't really make up for the horrid balance.

kirblar

If we're talking about characters that strangle diversity, King Dedede is just as bad as Metaknight. Game just has balance issues in general, and unlike Melee the mechanics don't really make up for the horrid balance.
Yeah, wasn't trying to steer things in that direction (as to specific characters), just pulled a few out that were blatant examples. In MTG the general rule of thumb is that if you're getting to ~50%+ of entrants selecting a specific deck, you probably have a problem with the format, and I think it holds true as a metric in FGs as well.

Kimosabae

Banned
Maybe I'm taking what you're saying a bit too personal[/B] but in regards to my last couple of posts in this thread I admitted that I don't care to play characters that have a high execution threshold mainly because I'm lazy but also because my enjoyment of fighting games comes from player to player interactions and the joy of actually controlling your characters. Characters that I can't control properly frustrate me personally so much so that losing with them doesn't bring me enjoyment. It's important that you have fun when you losing and winning with a video game.

All that being said if you think the mentality of picking a character who suits you and avoiding characters you don't is scrub mentality then I guess it is what it is. However you can't impose what you enjoy about a particular game onto others even on a competitive level. I never said people are fools for trying to master fox I simply said I ain't about that life. For me the game is about how I interact with the other player and not what I can pull off because I practice in training more than you.

You are taking what I said too personally. All that matters is that you find a means to compete that is amicable to you. I applaud the expressed attitude (I did in my last post to you). If more people had that attitude, more people would appreciate the diversity in approaches to playing these games (and the diversity in games themselves) and more people would actually compete in tournaments (or at the very least adopt a genuine competitive mindset, generally).

The problem comes in when people without the humility you've expressed get on the internet and complain about a game they likely have no interest in competing in in the first place being "too fast" or a about character that frustrates them being "braindead". In those instances all you do is fail to learn the lessons that would make you a better player and become an oblique wedge to the players that have put in the actual time and focus and have conditioned their brain/mind/body to accept the challenges to compete, competently. People feel entitled to express a need for acceptance in a community they're only tenuously attached to, because, the internet.

Then Brawl gets made and everyone is unhappy in due time.

kirblar

The problem comes in when people without the humility you've expressed get on the internet and complain about a game they likely have no interest in competing in in the first place being "too fast" or a about character that frustrates them being "braindead". In those instances all you do is fail to learn the lessons that would make you a better player and become an oblique wedge to the players that have put in the actual time and focus.
They may not be competing, but they are still buying and playing the same game, just not the way you prefer.

Kimosabae

Banned
They may not be competing, but they are still buying and playing the same game, just not the way you prefer.

That's part of the problem - you think I believe there should even be a preferred way. It's a total misunderstanding of the competitive perspective that we want to lay value judgements down on how others play the same game.

Kimosabae

Banned
I disagree and yeah the way you phrased this feels pretty condescending. I don't consider it too fast now, but I know when I first picked the game back the speed as a casual definitely felt fast. I always felt 64 had a good game speed that led itself well to both casuals and competitive matches. I wanted Brawl to be somewhere near that speed but with a larger cast and better balance. Unfortunately we didn't even get hitstun in that game, haha.

I wouldn't mind something like Melee's speed, but considering it's Nintendo, and the fact that other big franchises seem to go for a slower paced fighter (see Marvel 3 vs Marvel 2, SF4 vs SF2, etc), I think hoping for something like 64 seems reasonable.

If that came across as condescending you should consider the idea that maybe you're being a bit sensitive. These are still video games, which have relatively low-barriers for accessibility when all is said and done. You're not learning the mechanics of shooting a basketball, throwing a football or catching a bullet. Unless you have some form of debilitation, the human brain/mind/body is highly malleable, and is prone to conditioning. If a game is initially "too fast" that should be seen as a challenge to improve your conditioning in regards to that game - not as a dismissal because you feel uncomfortable out of the gate. A good game, ideally, provides some form of challenge, generally. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time. Maybe a time-waster is what you want from fighting games but that would be where we part ways.

Busaiku

Seriously, a new Guilty Gear, licensed ArcSys games, a new Arcana Heart, a new "Melty Blood", and no new Capcom games.

Dark Ages 2: Yandere Hell

kirblar

That's part of the problem - you think I believe there should even be a preferred way. It's a total misunderstanding of the competitive perspective that we want to lay value judgements down on how others play the same game.
People have preferences. Those preferences shape feedback/market research when you're doing game design. And you have to balance both sides when in design/development - competitive v casual. Their desires often aren't aligned.

The thing is- the casual appeal- that's the lifeblood. The competitive side is always a minority population. That's not to say that things that affect them aren't important- they very much are because they flow downhill into the casual side eventually. It's just that they're not always going to be pushing for things that keep the game open to a wider audience.

I was wondering, is it possible to make a fighting game without footsies?

Not really, since it's basically just slang for the mid range game. I guess if you made a fighter that was literally just shooting projectiles at each other from far away.

Kimosabae

Banned
People have preferences. Those preferences shape feedback/market research when you're doing game design. And you have to balance both sides when in design/development - competitive v casual. Their desires often aren't aligned.

The thing is- the casual appeal- that's the lifeblood. The competitive side is always a minority population. That's not to say that things that affect them aren't important- they very much are because they flow downhill into the casual side eventually. It's just that they're not always going to be pushing for things that keep the game open to a wider audience.

I will admit that I believe having a competitive mindset towards games is morally justifiable. I wouldn't blatantly foist that perspective on the casual mindset unless they became an infringing identity, however. It just goes back to what I was saying earlier about adopting more people into having/appreciating the competitive mindset. Advocating fighting games isn't just about pushing the games or the scenes - it's about pushing a value system.

Marz

Kimosabe can write all the pointless walls of texts that he wants, doesn't change the fact that Falco is still brain dead.

Even most top players admit his pressure being too strong, particularly shine.

Top Bottom