• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

Dahbomb

Do you defend speed as in how many decisions a player has to make or how much shit is flying across screen?
It's how fast actions are in the game, how fast mix ups are, how many inputs you need to make in the neutral in a given time and yes how fast you have to make decisions.

Shit flying across screen has nothing to do with it really but that's a different matter. That would more fall into "how much stuff you have to keep track of at a given time".

I would consider both MVC3/MVC2 and Smash fast games along with Tekken. Most fighting games are fast though... few are legitimately slow. It's all relative really.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iFNUpPCVZkEIi.gif

Out goes RedRapper!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That is the only one that will ever be like that. The other stuff I did wouldn't look right in that kind of lighting or lack thereof. Lighting is very important and is a major component of how great they turn out. I'm running out of ideas. :(

The natural lighting look is pretty good, but yeah wouldn't really work towards your other stuff. If you are running out of ideas try changing up the theme of the shots a bit or maybe locations :p

You have done quite a bit of different poses, locations and such that fit the current theme you have going on good though so I can see why you feel like you are running out of ideas.

Edit: What I ment by the natural lighting thing was your current trend of stuff uses the lighting to show off your curves and help highlight them.

Shout outs to slow games. I don't know how anyone can keep track of what's going on in anime.

meh, for example blazblue was confusing to watch for me at first because it has all sorts of crap flying around, but actually once you understand what the crap is, it's not very confusing anymore.

to be frank, i think picking up a game like marvel 3 or bb would really help people in the injustice scene understand how to deal with speedy, "unseeable" setups and mixups better

the only problem i have in anime games/any game is not speed/stuff flying but is the high low mixups, which comes down to character experience.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
the only problem i have in anime games/any game is not speed/stuff flying but is the high low mixups, which comes down to character experience.

BB is actually really bad about it's high low mix ups on some characters. Some characters have well animated overheads. But some characters have poorly animated ones where the attack frame that shows it's an overhead gives you barely any time to react even though the move has 20 plus frames of start up time. Like I literally can not block Nu's overhead online for shit because of how short the sign of it is. You have to just guess in advance and learn when they typically do it. Mu can be pretty bad as well.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
BB is actually really bad about it's high low mix ups on some characters. Some characters have well animated overheads. But some characters have poorly animated ones where the attack frame that shows it's an overhead gives you barely any time to react even though the move has 20 plus frames of start up time. Like I literally can not block Nu's overhead online for shit because of how short the sign of it is. You have to just guess in advance and learn when they typically do it. Mu can be pretty bad as well.
Nu's 4B? She does not have another move with the same startup animation.

yea, Like for me, in gg, I don't really know what some character dust animations look like so I get hit by that stuff a lot, or like eddie mixups. Oh man

OceanBlue

I don't have much matchup experience against Noel, but I feel like her drive mixup is like this lol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't have much matchup experience against Noel, but I feel like her drive mixup is like this lol.

For Noel's drive block high. The low in it is slower than the overhead. Also the first frames of the low is the start up of the overhead and vice versa so react to it that way.

The overhead has 16 frames of start up and the low 24

Shouta

Lots of stuff is easier to keep track of once you sit down and play it a bit. I think the only game that is kind of legitimately hard to follow is Gundam and that's not because it's fast but because there are a lot more variables you're watching for and have to keep track of.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Iron Fist's overhead rekka should be like, 3x as fast, considering how the rest of the character turned out.

I feel like a lot of BB overheads aren't highly distinguishable from non-overheads just because the attack animations are often so fancy. It is definitely a point of frustration.

I feel like a lot of BB overheads aren't highly distinguishable from non-overheads just because the attack animations are often so fancy. It is definitely a point of frustration.

They're not as bad as GG's dusts though IMO.
Imagine if all the S attacks in Marvel(animation wise, ignoring the start up) were overheads. Blegh.
Still, it really varies from character to character in BB and the coloured exclamation marks when you block wrong really help in the learning process.

OceanBlue

For Noel's drive block high. The low in it is slower than the overhead. Also the first frames of the low is the start up of the overhead and vice versa so react to it that way.

The overhead has 16 frames of start up and the low 24
I still have problems switching my blocking really quickly but I think that just comes with matchup experience. When I first started I couldn't block Mu's overhead at all despite people telling me that it's pretty slow, but now I feel as if it's far more "seeable". I still get hit by it pretty often though lol. I'm sure I'd get hit by Hazama's stance move thing a ton if I ever played one.

Anne

Nu's 4B is 23 frame start up. That's reasonably difficult to block along with it's animation and her doing delayed lows and stuff. The actual non react-able stuff comes from like Jin, Haku, Valk, and junk. I don't like BB's pressure of do a gatling then do a high low, it's pretty boring to me.

They're not as bad as GG's dusts though IMO.
Imagine if all the S attacks in Marvel(animation wise, ignoring the start up) were overheads. Blegh.
Still, it really varies from character to character in BB and the coloured exclamation marks when you block wrong really help in the learning process.

5D is usually super slow, and once you know the animation most are easy enough to block.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Nu's 4B is 23 frame start up. That's reasonably difficult to block along with it's animation and her doing delayed lows and stuff.
When done standing it's not that hard to block, but it also preserves dash momentum which makes it a much more dangerous move.

Loona

So I just bought plane tickets to Amsterdam for Red Fight District. Anyone else going?

I might, although there's still no solid news regarding KoF at that event - having just recently moved to the Netherlands, it might be cool to get to know its FGC, but seeing some love for a game I love there would help.

BTW, I only skimmed this topic, since these things tend to get huge and often cover events and people I don't care about, but I didn't notice a link to this thread, which may be relevant to the interests of the folks here: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802143

Top Bottom