• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

Kumubou

More games need overheads like Nanaya's 5[C], which is "slow" at 28 frames but can be done uncharged or partially charged with the same animation (just faster, but can be blocked low) to make anyone who tries to challenge it omega sad. It's something like -1 on block and +42643643643 on counterhit. It's a real jerkbag (but fair!) normal.

Seriously, a new Guilty Gear, licensed ArcSys games, a new Arcana Heart, a new "Melty Blood", and no new Capcom games.

Dark Ages 2: Yandere Hell
You Thought it was a Street Fighter Paradise
but it's an Anime Fighter Hell

VF

Also, Suguri perhaps?
VF has plenty of footsies IMO, it's just not as apparent (or, to be honest, as important). A lot of the game is played at range 0 but good spacing can matter. Personally, I've lost count of the number of rounds that I've won from landing a max range 2K+G or 3K, especially since a lot of other players don't think they can get hit at those ranges. :x

Games like Acceleration of Suguri, Senko no Ronde, Immaterial and Missing Power, etc kind of have an inverted concept of footsies. In a classic 2D fighter your projectiles set up your footsies, but in those games the melee attacks (as they have various levels of projectile invincibility) tend to define how projectile spacing starts to work (along with VO/Gundam vs. style vector management).

If there ever comes the day when anime games outnumber non-anime games at Evo, they should trade out Redrapper for Josip on Deck.
It's almost already happened: Evo 2010 nearly had an even split of anime and non-anime fighting games.
When they swapped out BBCT for MvC2, it still did.
I don't see it happening though, as you would need both multiple anime games to pick up beyond the hype GG Xrd is going to get and for some other games to drop off (TTT2? (replaced by TxSF?) KI? (post season 2?) Injustice? (replaced my MK10?) KoF? (who knows what SNK is doing)). I know it's a long ways off, but... it's NeoGAF. :p

Here is an interesting Idea that will most likely never happen.

Basically Capcom or someone anounces a HUGE Tournament with HUGE Prizes up for grabs, BUT there is a twist!

Basically only a new player can join in(Meaning BRAND NEW) and they have to win the tournament or place very high in the tournament.

BUT, the real twist is that you can have a pro player(In either SSF4AE(USF4) or UMVC3 teach you the game over a period of time so the new player can have a chance to learn and try to become the best can be in that period of time.

Other rules would be that you have to let your new player pick his character/team that he wants to learn, and stuff like that! It would be an awesome tournament I know it, but will most likely never happen, and that makes me sad!

Loona

Here is an interesting Idea that will most likely never happen.

Basically Capcom or someone anounces a HUGE Tournament with HUGE Prizes up for grabs, BUT there is a twist!

Basically only a new player can join in(Meaning BRAND NEW) and they have to win the tournament or place very high in the tournament.

BUT, the real twist is that you can have a pro player(In either SSF4AE(USF4) or UMVC3 teach you the game over a period of time so the new player can have a chance to learn and try to become the best can be in that period of time.

Other rules would be that you have to let your new player pick his character/team that he wants to learn, and stuff like that! It would be an awesome tournament I know it, but will most likely never happen, and that makes me sad!

The coach player would filter candidates by their use of accepted top tiers.

First pick ever is random as provided by the game's select screen - players must then stick to the character(s) the select screen assigned to them that 1 time.

Kumubou

The coach player would filter candidates by their use of accepted top tiers.

First pick ever is random as provided by the game's select screen - players must then stick to the character(s) the select screen assigned to them that 1 time.
People would then learn the timing of the random select, like how people would troll in CvS2 glitching random select to get teams of Sagat/Sagat/Sagat or Blanka/Blanka/Blanka or something equally obnoxious.

Dahbomb

That shit is old as hell and is not exclusive to Vergil (Wolverine can do it for example, hell anyone with a normal cancelable dash on the ground). Again people discovering "old" tech and posting it as new. Hell Yipes just posted a video where he was doing plink dashing with Spencer and he did it in the opening gambit. Most pro players already do this (especially ChrisG).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
...This is the most well put together tutorial I have ever seen for anything ever.
Yeah, this was my first reaction too LOL

I remember there were some BnB tutorials out a while back for MvC3, there was one for Sentinel and it was really cool as it stopped and highlighted every input throughout the combo to give people an idea of timing, and then played it back in regular time as well. Was super impressive.

They're getting ready for their Kickstarter tomorrow and here are the stretch goals lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110018956&postcount=31
The priorities on this list are ridiculous. No actual launch until 1 million? Vita crossplay for an extra 275k?

Unlockable movesets? *hurl*

75$ for the full version of the game? GTFO.

That shit is old as hell and is not exclusive to Vergil (Wolverine can do it for example, hell anyone with a normal cancelable dash on the ground). Again people discovering "old" tech and posting it as new. Hell Yipes just posted a video where he was doing plink dashing with Spencer and he did it in the opening gambit. Most pro players already do this (especially ChrisG).
Not having to plink dash makes this different. Wolverine cannot do this without very precise execution. This is really easy to do, which makes it noteworthy.

Silky

Banned
their team is small but has some amount of pedigree to it.

Masahiro Onoguchi: (Technical Director\3D Director)

Ancient Ninja Master of Fighting game development. The creator of YOSHIMITSU in the Tekken Series. Masahiro is the go-to-guy in Japan for finishing fighting games the right way.

Onoguchi-san has worked on series such as Tekken, Tekken 2, Soul Edge, Soul Calibur, Fighters Destiny, Tobal 1, Tobal 2, Virtua Fighter 4, Fighting Vipers 2, WWE Raw, WWE Raw 2, Ultimate Fighting Championship, Pride FC, JoJo Action Game, Yu-Yu-Hakusho, and many many more. Most recently Onogochi-san has been working on his own custom 3D Fighting Game Engine called EF-12.

Oh hey more Gameplay info and holy shit it's awful.

We understand that fighting game fans enjoy a variety of play styles. By adding multiple move sets for each character, players can vary the gameplay balance to focus on defense, offense, or pure punishment. Unlike most versus games,

The Chainsaw Incident will allow you to use preset move lists. As you unlock more individual moves, they can be used in your own custom arsenal for online matches, allowing you to keep your opponents guessing.

Move Sets, Character Colors, Stage Customization Items, Profile Pictures, Music Tracks, Banners and much more are all unlocked via the special cards found within The Chainsaw Incident's digital card-packs.

These card packs are earned by completing the game on various difficulty settings or purchased online. Also, those looking to put their money where their mouth is can use duplicate cards to place as bets within online matches, but be warned when you wager that the WINNER TAKES ALL!

lololololololololo

Dahbomb

Not having to plink dash makes this different. Wolverine cannot do this without very precise execution. This is really easy to do, which makes it noteworthy.
If you are talking about the Vergil kara dash then that is also old (like week 1). Vergil players have known about the kara Stinger dash and videos have even been posted about it. This is really just putting that with standard air throw option selects together.

The video is noteworthy because it's well presented and explains the options well. We need more of that.

If you are talking about the Vergil kara dash then that is also old (like week 1). Vergil players have known about the kara Stinger dash and videos have even been posted about it. This is really just putting that with standard air throw option selects together.
Marvel players need that 1+1=2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I hear that it requires you to hit medium and heavy buttons at the same time, fucking OLD. I did that the first week.

get on my level, HitBox Dustin

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Since you need it explained like a child:

Vergil Stinger dash cancel

+

Throw option selects

=

Vergil "Pope" select

Edit: God damn my internet is crapping up today. Sorry for double post.
1387130373077.jpg

Being able to bet customization things on matches is super great.

The custom moveset stuff is iffy.
It's not even the presence of custom movesets, just reading how the game is designed and everything raises concern. There seems to be pretty much no restraint, they're just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks a-la SFxTK. You're telling me some of the guys working on this have worked on that many fighting games and don't know why this may be an issue?

Imagine entering a online match in SFIV against Guile and he starts doing shoryukens and teleports and shit. That's....not going to work. Ever.

The devil is in the detail, but I believe it can work (it is actually exactly like an idea I raised some time back....)

Guile doing SRK and teleports would be hard to deal with, but remember you will have your own shit that he needs to deal with too.

Potentially it makes things a lot more dynamic in every fight because you are not just going to face a character like Ryu that is going to do the same shit over and over. You may have to figure things out on the fly and react. Different, but different can be a very good thing, especially with so many other options already in the market.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The devil is in the detail, but I believe it can work.

Guile doing SRK and teleports would be hard to deal with, but remember you will have your own shit that he needs to deal with too.

Potentially it makes things a lot more dynamic in every fight because you are not just going to face a character like Ryu that is going to do the same shit over and over.
I think there's a continuum of said dynamism. As soon as you cross the line of not being able to predict abilities, you're in the deep end. Isms, gems, and H&H as modifiers work, and because its clearly displayed to you going into a match, you know what to expect and are not limited to static match ups. Unless they literally list every ability and their properties going into a match, its going to end up being straight chaos, and those types of competitive games rarely maintain their luster. And even if there is, not really trying to memorize some list before each match, and then get caught with an SRK or something in the clutch because I forgot it was on the laundry list of things I had to memorize before a match.

Dahbomb

The devil is in the detail, but I believe it can work.

Potentially it makes things a lot more dynamic in every fight because you are not just going to face a character like Ryu that is going to do the same shit over and over.
Instead of facing Ryu/Shoto clones over and over again you are just going to face different models with the same exact moves because people will figure out the best moves to use and use that moveset.

I am willing to give this a try... but this sounds broken as hell on paper. If you could use any move then what's the difference between actual characters? Just hit box size, stamina and walk speeds? In that case people will just use the character with the best base toolset.

Horseress

The devil is in the detail, but I believe it can work (it is actually exactly like an idea I raised some time back....)

Potentially it makes things a lot more dynamic in every fight because you are not just going to face a character like Ryu that is going to do the same shit over and over. You may have to figure things out on the fly and react. Different, but different can be a very good thing, especially with so many other options already in the market.

I think there's a continuum of said dynamism. As soon as you cross the line of not being able to predict abilities, you're in the deep end. Isms, gems, and H&H as modifiers work, and because its clearly displayed to you going into a match, you know what to expect and are not limited to static match ups. Unless they literally list every ability and their properties going into a match, its going to end up being straight chaos, and those types of competitive games rarely maintain their luster.

Enzo has a point. Even if the game tells you what the other character does, it's SO MUCH to adapt for every damn match. There will be like 831923726 matchups, because Guile can, or can't, have an anti-air, and he may or may not have this or that....

Well. the guy making the game has a good experience in fighters, maybe he has a good plan. I don't think this can work, but let's see

Dahbomb

I don't believe there is actual precedence for this in a fighting game is there?

Only two games that actually do this to my knowledge are Godhand and Remember Me.

I wasn't like some super pro Godhand player... just enough to beat all the challenges and Hard mode (highest in that game). I basically had a bunch of tools for most situations... a guard breaker move, some very fast jabs, a move that evade enemies while attacking (pretty much broken IMO), some crowd control type move and the YES MAN KABLAM (broken move). I basically just jabbed enemies until they blocked then then guard break into YMK for the extra bar. If things got too rough I would just use the move that evade enemies while attack (basically chain that move in between side dodges, most enemies couldn't do anything against it). After a few YMKs I had full bar and just mashed jabs to kill them.

This will probably be how the game would be. People will figure out some broken ass moves and put them on their characters. It's pretty much like the Skullgirls assist system of old.. it didn't matter that there were so many combinations of assists you could happen... it just boiled down to the most broken ones that everyone used like Double's Butt Slam.

Top Bottom