• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
This seems like the best place to ask so here it goes.

I'm very new to fighting games but ever since I got into Killer Instinct I've been obsessed with them. So my question now is where do I start in terms of watching and potentially supporting particular players? I watch a lot of Max's stuff on YT and Twitch but other than him I don't know who else is popular in the FG community. I'd like to start watching all the big tournaments and events like EVO but I don't know whose side I should be on in a particular match if that makes sense.

Welcome friend! Everybody else already indicated where you would need to go so do so!

As GAF's top Cap/Nova player I swear by Cap/Nova

Cap/Nova is booty sweat man. Drop Cap for Spencer ;-).

I'm very new to fighting games but ever since I got into Killer Instinct I've been obsessed with them. So my question now is where do I start in terms of watching and potentially supporting particular players? I watch a lot of Max's stuff on YT and Twitch but other than him I don't know who else is popular in the FG community. I'd like to start watching all the big tournaments and events like EVO but I don't know whose side I should be on in a particular match if that makes sense.

I'd recommend you start watching some weekly tournaments; you can learn a lot about players that way. I think the biggest KI weekly is The Runback on Thursday nights? Also if you want to see other games like Street Fighter IV, Next Level Battle Circuit on Wednesday nights is the most popular weekly to watch (but they usually don't have KI). There will be a bunch of us in this thread watching/discussing that tomorrow night if you want to join us.

Astarte

Heyhey! If you ever want to pick up a game and want to face someone of absolute crap skill, hit me up. I don't discriminate against any fighting game.

Dahbomb

Is it possible to watch Twitch archives in lower quality?

I have been trying to watch this archive footage but it takes like 30 seconds just to load one second or something. It's on highest quality or something which doesn't make sense as I can watch high quality Youtube videos without much hassle. I am wondering if there's a way to lower the quality or convert the file online somewhere so I can turn down the resolution/bitrate or something.

This is really annoying.

I have been trying to watch this archive footage but it takes like 30 seconds just to load one second or something. It's on highest quality or something which doesn't make sense as I can watch high quality Youtube videos without much hassle. I am wondering if there's a way to lower the quality or convert the file online somewhere so I can turn down the resolution/bitrate or something.

This is really annoying.

twitch archives are doodoo

Zissou

This is really annoying.

Twitch is pretty awful. As far as I know, you can't change quality on archives, but it seems to depend on the video (and I have no idea what dictates it). Like on this random teamsp00ky vid, you can choose between best and 480p, but more often than not, you have no option.

Dahbomb

LMAO @ this.

Yipes: "You gotta have an on point Dante to play ZMC and at least an above average Vergil."

FChamp: "Yo man everyone has an above average Vergil. Have you seen my Grandma's Dark Vergil? It's RIDICULOUS man! Yo she got 8 games off me in a FT10 just from pure Dark Vergil!"

Dahbomb

FChamp said that Justin has been practicing Wolverine/Doom/Vergil on the side.......

Now that's TRUE end game status.

The Flash

Banned
Heyhey! If you ever want to pick up a game and want to face someone of absolute crap skill, hit me up. I don't discriminate against any fighting game.

I see your claim of crap skill and raise you the reality that I did not get my first KI Ultra on an online opponent until a few days ago. Before playing KI, the only FG game I played with any regularity was the original Smash on N64. I played Samus because I thought "he" looked like Boba Fett.

The only FG games I have now are SSFIV:AE (360), MK9 (360), and KI (XB1). If you got any of those then I'd be more than happy to play against you.

HIGH LEVEL PLAY

if I played characters that had to fight Cap on the ground/normal jump height, I would be exposed as a fraud O_O

Out of just about every tournament I've been to, people always blow X-Factor on my Cap by the second game if they get a hit :p

Of course that's also in part because my other two characters are mildly fraudulent.

Zissou

Out of just about every tournament I've been to, people always blow X-Factor on my Cap by the second game if they get a hit :p

Of course that's also in part because my other two characters are mildly fraudulent.

I know that feel, haha. If there was an award for most fraudulent Dante on gaf, I would most certainly win that award... if only jam session was attached to character I could actually use!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
LMAO @ this.

Yipes: "You gotta have an on point Dante to play ZMC and at least an above average Vergil."

FChamp: "Yo man everyone has an above average Vergil. Have you seen my Grandma's Dark Vergil? It's RIDICULOUS man! Yo she got 8 games off me in a FT10 just from pure Dark Vergil!"

You gotta love Champ.

FChamp said that Justin has been practicing Wolverine/Doom/Vergil on the side.......

Now that's TRUE end game status.

The end times are coming Dahbomb. It was prophesied in the GAF Bible.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Marn: "Gotta 15 win streak, someone take me offffff!" *blows some vap*

F. Champ: "Alright, you want someone to take you off, let me find someone.... Billy! Get over here!"

Billy plays Spencer, Wolverine, Doom in that order....

Stream Chat: "Is that Ranma-sama Kappa"

Astarte

I see your claim of crap skill and raise you the reality that I did not get my first KI Ultra on an online opponent until a few days ago. Before playing KI, the only FG game I played with any regularity was the original Smash on N64. I played Samus because I thought "he" looked like Boba Fett.

The only FG games I have now are SSFIV:AE (360), MK9 (360), and KI (XB1). If you got any of those then I'd be more than happy to play against you.

I play just about every fighting game and I didn't even have a focus on one until very recently. I was free against the most basic of any blockstring lol.
Ooooh. I don't have a 360 :[

Dissidia has custom move sets, which I'll explain when I get home.

And no, people don't worry about a huge number of matchups because of them. But to put it in a nutshell: every character has a bunch of moves to equip, but not every character can use every character's moves.

Blackage

Yipes and FChamp break down the best shells in Marvel 3

29_umvc3shelltiersfull.jpg

You know that makes me wonder if figuring out Marvel teams just requires taking 2 shells and combining them together, while of course you have the top tier shell, Doom/Vergil which can literally go with the entire rooster, you have other shells that don't work as well.

Champ for instance was like "Dorm/Doom is too good" and we all know that Champ runs Dorm/Doom/Mags. Doom/Mags is another top Shell.

I just got the idea that combining 2 shells = a good team, and for the most part it follows.

Going from the top, we know Doom/Ver + Mor Doom = Mor/Doom/Ver, we know it works.

So what other teams can we make out of that?

Mor/Doom/Vergil
Mor/Doom/Magneto(We've seen Chris run this alt)
Mor/Doom/...Ammy? Nobody has though to run that lockdown assist on top of Morrigan soulfist yet
Mor/Doom/Dante? That could be fun.
Mor/Doom/Dorm? We know Champ used a variation with Phoenix and Morrigan building meter, but you can see how the team would work without Phoenix
Mor/Wolvie/Doom, put Wolvie on point, run the beam assist, if you can't get in call Morrigan to build meter. the concept is there(This is also the one that makes me think that shells should be broken further down to assists, but not completely required)

But let's just look at some other shells:

Dante shell combos:

Zero/Dante/Vergil = Zero/Dante + Dante/Vergil
Dante/Vergil/Strider, you can see how this one works, Zero is the more popular point for obvious reasons, I think Richard Nguyen ran this one upon a time @ TNR.
Dante/Vergil/Doom(Beam assist with the white boys is great for mix-ups)

I just started looking at Marvel in this way and I found some pretty interesting combos.

Phoenix Wright/Trish is a great shell for how they compliment each other, while we know Trish/Dante is a great shell, then you find a Phoenix Wright/Trish/Dante team, where you know if you lose PW you have Trish coming in for the easy/safe DHC into Dante, etc etc.

Did this occur to anybody else? Did anybody else just start thinking about combining and coming up with teams like this?

Dahbomb

We moved that discussion to the Marvel OT now by the way.

For the record, Wolverine/Morrigan/Doom would not work because Wolverine needs Plasma Beam and Morrigan needs Hidden Missiles. While people see all these Doom teams they have to realize that many of them are fundamentally very different from other. Wolverine/Doom/Vergil is a completely different team than Morrigan/Doom/Vergil despite having 2 out of 3 characters being the exact same.

Xevren

Dissidia has custom move sets, which I'll explain when I get home.

And no, people don't worry about a huge number of matchups because of them. But to put it in a nutshell: every character has a bunch of moves to equip, but not every character can use every character's moves.

Wee bit off topic, but I always like those Dissidia vids you posted. Just wish I had a system that could play the games, they look interesting.

Zissou

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110043823]Is Sol the only character in Xrd? Goddamn.[/QUOTE]

He seems like vanilla Wolverine- high/top tier coupled with extreme ease of use.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";110043823]Is Sol the only character in Xrd? Goddamn.[/QUOTE]

How do you think I felt for the short time I played P4A
Yu everywhere

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
NYG9 announced today on NYCVF's stream
Aug 15-17

last year i got 9th
this year i'm getting 1st

It was okay, but mostly dumb.

When Cap said something like "Freedom has always had a price" the guy next to me quietly said to himself "that's so true... damn"

I couldn't stop laughing in the theater.

Ok that's pretty funny

If you thought that was dumb then you must hate 90% of the recent Marvel movies. It's actually one of the better ones out of the last 5-10 years.

Yeah, I'd say its probably my favorite Marvel movie now, really enjoyed it.

vulva

If you thought that was dumb then you must hate 90% of the recent Marvel movies. It's actually one of the better ones out of the last 5-10 years.

Yeah, I generally don't like superhero movies. I'm one of the only people I know that didn't like things like Dark Knight or Avengers either.

Strangely I liked Amazing Spiderman, go figure.

Top Bottom