• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

Horseress

cbcb89df57373dd45009c91be15f4586.png

Nono I see it, he's jumping off the background drum

we injustice now!

casperOne

Anybody here going to ECT or is it just going to be nobody....?

I'm really upset that I'm not going this year (and odd that the primary sponsor isn't going), but it's on mother's day, and that makes it nearly impossible for me.

Clearly the reason spooky is getting so many viewers now is because Jared left.

Kappa

All joking aside, this is less kappa than you think. The jeweler's departure marked a drastic turning point in Twitch's relationship with the FGC.

I thought the decay factor was in play?

One of the things I don't like about their forumula is that it doesn't decay to zero. At least there's decay, and if you want to run your own calcs, the data is available.

Nemo getting on that plane now. I'll get to see him in the morning, lol

If only it were every morning.
kappa

yoo USFIV will allow you to record all your offline matches and put them straight to youtube! TO's dreams coming true?

Now you can literally put every single match of a tournament online without having to worry with extra equipment, really cool feature

It's a step closer. You would have the ability to replay matches, which is a good thing. However, you still have to deal with the following:

• You can't offload a video file of the match, you still have to use traditional capture equipment to get the matches if you want to upload them anywhere (assuming that it's just easier than doing it through the console).
  • You'd have to make educated guesses about who is playing the match and when in the bracket they are playing (this is important, IMO).

----

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been working ragged for requests for TOs. Missed you all. =)

Horseress

you can upload the matches straight to youtube

Combined with our previously announced ‘Upload to YouTube’ feature, you’ll be able to share your most exciting and proud moments with viewers all around the world, whether the match happened online, or offline!

Dahbomb

One of the things I don't like about their forumula is that it doesn't decay to zero. At least there's decay, and if you want to run your own calcs, the data is available.
I don't see why it should decay to 0 (unless it's previous versions of games like MVC3 vs UMVC3 or Vanilla SF4 vs Ultra SF4). My problem is that it doesn't decay fast enough for year old tournaments.

kirblar

I don't see why it should decay to 0 (unless it's previous versions of games like MVC3 vs UMVC3 or Vanilla SF4 vs Ultra SF4). My problem is that it doesn't decay fast enough for year old tournaments.
At 1 year decay should be fast and furious.

casperOne

you can upload the matches straight to youtube

Not on shitty hotel internet and not for the number of consoles you'd need for a tournament.

You could label the brackets with the console played on, but that means you'd have to move the consoles to a location with internet and do the work (assuming the brackets were correctly labeled) and then ship them to their final storage location.

It's not impossible, and it's a great step, we just have to put the work in to make it happen.

I don't see why it should decay to 0.

That's just the natural order of things, that they decay to zero. Or at least to a state that you can't build from again.

Horseress

Not on shitty hotel internet and not for the number of consoles you'd need for a tournament.

You could label the brackets with the console played on, but that means you'd have to move the consoles to a location with internet and do the work (assuming the brackets were correctly labeled) and then ship them to their final storage location.

It's not impossible, and it's a great step, we just have to put the work in to make it happen.

not saying you can do it at the very end of each match, but it's there, safe and sound, ready to be uploaded when you can.

xCobalt

Does seem like a lot of work. You have to take into account the max number of videos that can be saved in the battle log (I think its 30 right now?). I'm assuming it'll only record completed matches too. If it doesn't, buttons check won't make this feature too useful. You also have to take into account people who play casually on those stations.

Jason Moses (who previously put together an awesome piece on Samurai Shodown V if you haven't read that already) recently sat down with Funkdoc and Keits to talk about World Heroes Perfect. It's quite the read, but very interesting. Please check it out!

Those SRK rankings need to add Injustice.

I've stepped back from trying to facilitate the rankings just because I have so much on my plate at the moment, but the plan is to eventually include every major game. Injustice is pretty high on my personal list, so I'll pass this along to Bavo and Kineda.

I used to make my mom drop me off at an arcade in a mostly Mexican neighborhood so I could play World Heroes. I love that game and I have a minor understanding of Spanish because of my time there and soccer games.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Apparently it works. Again, Ultra mod seems to be more restrictive than the real thing so maybe it'll work on more characters than Dhalsim but who knows.

A friend has a wiiu and will be getting smash. I have a Tekken wiiu stick that I got on clearance and was going to trash the pcb, but I may as well just keep it and hack a PS3 board into to dual mod it.

Is there any issues playing smash on stick? Any weird button combinations or something prohibitive like that?

A friend has a wiiu and will be getting smash. I have a Tekken wiiu stick that I got on clearance and was going to trash the pcb, but I may as well just keep it and hack a PS3 board into to dual mod it.

Is there any issues playing smash on stick? Any weird button combinations or something prohibitive like that?

You can't tilt and do other pressure(can't think of the right word here) sensitive moves since you need analog inputs.

galvatron

Jason Moses (who previously put together an awesome piece on Samurai Shodown V if you haven't read that already) recently sat down with Funkdoc and Keits to talk about World Heroes Perfect. It's quite the read, but very interesting. Please check it out!

I've stepped back from trying to facilitate the rankings just because I have so much on my plate at the moment, but the plan is to eventually include every major game. Injustice is pretty high on my personal list, so I'll pass this along to Bavo and Kineda.

Thanks so much!
I'm a huge fan of World Heroes Perfect. Reading now.

kirblar

Much assumptions.

Much scrub quotes to the nth degree
Not assumptions. It's a real thing. You saw it with "damage on the stack" being taken away in MTG- it was a "gotcha" combat intricacy that didn't really add any gameplay but a subset really liked it because it let them blindside newer players with a rule they weren't aware of. Vega players who don't like the character becoming "too easy" to use. A reason the links in SF generally stay in is because it makes people feel rewarded when they learn/master them.

Not assumptions. It's a real thing. You saw it with "damage on the stack" being taken away in MTG- it was a "gotcha" combat intricacy that didn't really add any gameplay but a subset really liked it because it let them blindside newer players with a rule they weren't aware of.
You didn't say "some people", though, but everyone. This is why you are wrong.

Revven

So this weekend also features another MLG qualifier for Smash, WHOBO -- which is notorious for being a MK banned Brawl-dominated tournament -- but that's changed for this one (MK unbanned I think? And of course since it's a qualifier for MLG for Melee it'll have stronger attendance for Melee than before).

It will be streamed on http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/event/clashtournaments and features Melee, Project M, and Brawl. No stream schedule yet but Mango and VGBC Hax will be in attendance.

Two days, tomorrow and Sunday.

How much of a gap was there between it and release? Seems like they locked the current arcade version a while back.

Quite a bit. There was no Cosmic Elevator stage, Rolento still had counter-hit juggles off of st.mp as an anti-air and an U2 with a glitched super flash animation, AFAIK Hugo did not have armour on his st.HP, Elena was pretty rough (she still is).

The build we saw at Hypespotting was pretty much the arcade build, and that was three months later. :|

mr. puppy

Banned
never realized how similar apologyman and nemos teams are. stupid point+stupid assist+anchor whose assist helps the teams gimmick but is pretty useless in neutral. not sure whose teams is better though.....id definitely prefer spencer+bolts over skrull+beam though, but spencer and strange are garbage on incoming and doom/skrull get to airdash away from everything.

Kimosabae

Banned
kirblir your opinions on why Wavedashing is treasured are presumptuous and idiotic.

People enjoy Wavedashing because it raises the execution ceiling - not barrier - and adds a new dimension to the footsie/spacing aspect of one of the most pure competitive fighting games of all time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
She's playable in the arcade version? wat.

Every GG and BB arcade mode boss besides Justice has been playable in the arcades since forever. Dizzy and Testament were time locked I believe. Same for Hakumen and Nu in BBCT and in BBCP I believe Nu, Mu, and Izayoi were all time locked.

Vice

never realized how similar apologyman and nemos teams are. stupid point+stupid assist+anchor whose assist helps the teams gimmick but is pretty useless in neutral. not sure whose teams is better though.....id definitely prefer spencer+bolts over skrull+beam though, but spencer and strange are garbage on incoming and doom/skrull get to airdash away from everything.

Team Apologyman can shutdown the majority of the cast once it gets going and has few, if any, viable ways to escape the vortex. Against Nemo's the opponent can guess right and survive incoming.

kirblar

kirblir your opinions on why Wavedashing is treasured are presumptuous and idiotic.

Poeople enjoy Wavedashing because it raises the execution ceiling - not barrier - and adds a new dimension to the footsie/spacing aspect of one of the most fundamental fighting games of all time.
That's not a ceiling, that's a floor.

You have two choices with including it in the next game-

a) You keep it and build it into the engine. You make it easier to do (a la Tekken/Marvel)
b) You remove it because you don't like how it functions in standard play.

"Keep it as is" was never a viable option.

Top Bottom