• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 28 - May 4 | The Desolation of Smug

mbpm1

lol well i'm disappointed in how hugos there, at least ones on camera, have been playing. and one of them, stormkubo, just responded, can anyone help me translate this conversation? google translate isn't very helpful.

"busterkun ‏@nyanchu916 14m

@ultradavidさんが「日本のヒューゴ使いしょぼすぎ」だそうです。@stormKUBOさんのヒューゴを見てそれが言えるのはすごいなあ"

"ストーム久保 ‏@stormKUBO 7m

@nyanchu916 @ultradavid 次はうまいと言わせるプレイを見せてあげます とでも言っておいてください。 日本の方が先にウル4ができるので仕方がないです"

i agree with those, i'd also add hakan and dhalsim though.

LOL how you actually got a response. Money matches incoming?

lol well i'm disappointed in how hugos there, at least ones on camera, have been playing. and one of them, stormkubo, just responded, can anyone help me translate this conversation? google translate isn't very helpful.

"busterkun ‏@nyanchu916 14m

@ultradavidさんが「日本のヒューゴ使いしょぼすぎ」だそうです。@stormKUBOさんのヒューゴを見てそれが言えるのはすごいなあ"

"ストーム久保 ‏@stormKUBO 7m

@nyanchu916 @ultradavid 次はうまいと言わせるプレイを見せてあげます とでも言っておいてください。 日本の方が先にウル4ができるので仕方がないです"

i agree with those, i'd also add hakan and dhalsim though.

The first one says "ultradavid says Japanese Hugo players are ass. It's amazing he can say that having seen stormKUBO's Hugo."

The second one say "Let him know that next time I'll show him some play that will make him say I'm good. It can't be helped that Japan can play USF4 first."

Haven't seen much Hugo in general or stormKUBO in particular, so dunno how valid those statements are

FunkQueue

Neo Member
The first one says "ultradavid says Japanese Hugo players are ass. It's amazing he can say that having seen stormKUBO's Hugo."

The second one say "Let him know that next time I'll show him some play that will make him say I'm good. It can't be helped that Japan can play USF4 first."

Haven't seen much Hugo in general or stormKUBO in particular, so dunno how valid those statements are

Very Japanese response.... Not exciting at all.

But no one's saying "Patch it out of Melee." You design/tune going forward knowing its absent, and things have to be adjusted. Much how the 3S Twins turned out stupid in SF4 initially, in part due to their command grabs, which were a remnant of the parry system in 3S. They're not afraid (unlike a certain Vs franchise) to radically alter characters in the interest of better gameplay.

No one's seen how the new game plays in a competitive environment. They have a company that makes legitimate competitive games working on it, and they're actually trying to balance 1v1 alongside the loose balance the normal casual mode requires. You could add the things people complain about being gone to Brawl, and it still wouldn't play well 1v1 because MetaKnight.

This is totally wrong LOL. Yun and Yang command grabs were never that great. It was their pressure + frame traps that made them great.

Their command grabs did not make them top tier. Also I don't see how their command grabs were a remnant of the parry system.

kirblar

This is totally wrong LOL. Yun and Yang command grabs were never that great. It was their pressure + frame traps that made them great.

Their command grabs did not make them top tier. Also I don't see how their command grabs were a remnant of the parry system.
You're really asking why characters with otherwise full-fledged movesets getting command grabs would be connected to parries?

You can't see the logic?

Not saying it was "the thing" that made them busted, but they definitely contributed to how obnoxious they were.

Dahbomb

You're really asking why characters with otherwise full-fledged movesets getting command grabs would be connected to parries?

You can't see the logic?

Not saying it was "the thing" that made them busted, but they definitely contributed to how obnoxious they were.
I don't understand this... are you saying they were busted in 3rd Strike or busted in Arcade Edition?

Because Fei Long had that exact same command throw as the twins only he didn't even come with a dive kick. And Fei Long wasn't in 3rd Strike.

vocab

Yun was not stupid because of the command grab. EX lunge punch, and a get out of jail free card is what made him stupid. Genejin combos/hit confirms into Genejin are also way eaiser compared to third strike where they are really difficult.

kirblar

I don't understand this... are you saying they were busted in 3rd Strike or busted in Arcade Edition?

Because Fei Long had that exact same command throw as the twins only he didn't even come with a dive kick. And Fei Long wasn't in 3rd Strike.
I'm saying that a massive amount of characters in 3S (the Twins among them) received command grabs on top of a normal moveset specifically because of the parry system. I'm not saying they were the only reason they were OP was because of them, just that you have to adjust everything else about them based on there not being parries in SF4- the risk/reward ratios change completely.

Dahbomb

I'm saying that a massive amount of characters in 3S (the Twins among them) received command grabs on top of a normal moveset specifically because of the parry system. I'm not saying they were the only reason they were OP was because of them, just that you have to adjust everything else about them based on there not being parries in SF4- the risk/reward ratios change completely.
So what about Makoto? Had a command grab but wasn't busted in AE. How do you explain that?

Yun/Yang were busted in AE because they were meant to be busted. Period. Has nothing to do with 3S.

Yun was not stupid because of the command grab. EX lunge punch, and a get out of jail free card is what made him stupid.

block ex lunge... deal with throw-invincible command grab/hit-invincible upkicks that left him like half a screen away behind you. i did 720 on a yun who had started ex tenshin just before me, dude tossed me right out of my grab. that grab was a major part of his bs imo

But makoto had a command grab too and she was ass in vanilla SSF4. The only real threat was Yun's command grab in AE, ex was 5 frame startup and throw invincible, while regular was 7 frames.

kirblar

Does no one read the "in part" qualifier? :(

I'm using it as an example of "you don't just copy/paste characters" from one fighting engine to another to show how a character who leaned hard on a tool in Melee that was removed in a future game would be rebalanced based in that future game on the lack of that tool. It's a false argument.

I use Yun/Yang as examples because they received a tool to let them work around Parries in 3S but due to the lack of parries in future games it contributed to them being obnoxious.

The SFxT characters all have different frame data in SF4 as well because of the system mechanic changes.

Dahbomb

I get what you are saying but the examples you provided are either bad or just untrue.

Yun/Yang being strong in AE had more to do with design intention than them being poorly ported. Otherwise Makoto would've been broken in Vanilla SF4 from the get go based on your theory about command grabs and parries.

kirblar

block ex lunge... deal with throw-invincible command grab/hit-invincible upkicks that left him like half a screen away behind you. i did 720 on a yun who had started ex tenshin just before me, dude tossed me right out of my grab. that grab was a major part of his bs imo
<3

Does no one read the "in part" qualifier? :(

I'm using it as an example of "you don't just copy/paste characters" from one fighting engine to another to show how a character who leaned hard on a tool in Melee that was removed in a future game would be rebalanced based in that future game on the lack of that tool. It's a false argument.

I use Yun/Yang as examples because they received a tool to let them work around Parries in 3S but due to the lack of parries in future games it contributed to them being obnoxious.

The SFxT characters all have different frame data in SF4 as well because of the system mechanic changes.

Yun and Yang weren't copy paste.
Yun
1) lunge punch was never safe in 3s
2) ex upkick didn't make him go that far
3) I don't think command grab had an EX version in 3s but even then nobody used it.
4) yun wasn't a frame trap character in 3s like he was in AE.
5) palm wasn't stupid in 3s either

Yang "tool" around parries was almost never used. Almost nobody played yang like that. His main goal was to hit you with cr. mk, or lk into rekka/ex rekka. He wanted to be in that mid range area. He did command grab at times but that was because you were to afraid to push a button. Not to bait a parry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7QHdU6kQFk

If you notice, Yun in 3s plays nothing like AE2011. Yang command grabs but its not people trying to parry something.

They added all that shit in SF4AE. He never had those tools in 3s outside the fact that he had a command grab. And your argument only works for yun. What about yang? What about Makoto? Your argument that so many characters had command grabs because of parries doesn't work. Esp when the majority didn't have command grabs and the majority that did were mid tier at best.

???

Only 6 characters had a command grab in 3S. Not that I'm really following what point you're trying to make.

Top Bottom