• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 22-28 | On the Xrd Day of Christmas

People actually play games in this thread?

I played Xrd this week. Have to say it's the art style that is the biggest negative. I am really enjoying the movement and options when playing neutral to offense. It's like neutral is less about spacing but more about setting up good pressure. I hate the anime art style still but love the systems more.

Gonna bring the wii u for the holidays. An good ness/greninja videos?

DunpealD

Who gives a shit about an ASW game anyways

nobody important, that's who

You mean the same people who shilled SFxT? ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )ᕗ

I'm surprised people are mad about EH. I did fighting game news in french for 4 years with friends and honestly it can be very demanding and heartbreaking to see what people are reading. When you post a shitty video about Daigo doing a 3 hit combo you do more trafic than going for a UNIEL mechanic analysis. It's not because UNIEL is bad or Daigo is amazing, it's just that people don't care about games, they care about fame and people.

I'm not sure about it but I think EH writers are paid and that EH is a business, not a fansite or a non profit organization. If that's the case then it's logical they don't write about small games like GG or SG and put more time finding content on games people like and buy more. It's a business decision and I respect that if they pay their writers as it's really hard to keep doing news.

Not defending EH. But yeah they've moved past being a community only site and from what I see all the writers are being paid, so it's not that surprising that they are covering smaller games rather seldom.
Also the games like Xrd have to fight against the Anime cycle stigma. Not to forget the whole Blazblue sequel schtick ASW has been doing, which might keep people away too.

petghost

Banned
I play a lot. SF, Smash, and now Xrd added to the rotation every chance I get.

As for Xrd I find it strange how every character has 420 health? Why does Milia have the same health as Pot?

They have same overall health but different health modifiers...there is also guts which is character specific damage reduction at the end of the lifebar but I got no clue how it works in xrd cuz the lifebars are really misleading.

Marz

do the same combos work against every character? VF has 221 health across the board but differing weight classes means some characters get hit harder than others

Not sure, that would make sense though.

Regarding Xrd, I'm not very hype because I don't want to spend the time learning a fighting game from the ground up, only to have all of that training wiped by a new update. Frankly, a lot of it is that I'm just done dealing with ArcSys' crap. That and the netcode being garbagola even by ArcSys standards isn't helping.

"All of your training" does not get wiped by an update. In fact usually the changes are so small that you can retain almost everything and just make a few adjustments.

As for what I want in a new VF... Make it 2D with a cel shaded art style.

I play a lot. SF, Smash, and now Xrd added to the rotation every chance I get.

As for Xrd I find it strange how every character has 420 health? Why does Milia have the same health as Pot?

Same health, different defense. They both have 420 health but Millia is gonna run out of it faster than Potemkin will.

Zissou

Will the one behind you whiff? Does this place me at frame advantage?

Doors are heavily punishable on block. It's not smart to do a door unless you have items to cover it (meteor, etc.) and/or you plan on RCing it.

Same health, different defense. They both have 420 health but Millia is gonna run out of it faster than Potemkin will.

I've always thought this system is dumb- you could mathematically work it out and figure out how much health any given character 'actually' has.

AAK

Please VF6, don't do what Tekken 7 is doing with its presentation. Give us:

- New Default outfits + character designs
- No more legacy animations
- Bring actual fighters and not moe j-pop idols
- Get rid of obnoxious troll customizations

Sayah

I'm playing only Smash right now and dont see myself venturing out into other fighting games for awhile. Maybe I'll get DoA5 on PC once it has a price drop and online capabilities.

Nyoro SF

Too late, they have to appeal to the anime audience to get the sales they need! Prepare for Akirako-chan, Akira's long lost 12-year-old sister to join the fight in her gym uniform!

xezuru

I think Falcon's nair is bad in smush 4 can anyone corroborate

Honestly can't say off experience because I haven't scrounged the cash to pick up a Wii-U, but Falcon nairs are always weird to use as a two hit move with a character that's too fast for his own good. I think increased hitstun in smash 4 would help, but usually you would just buzz past dudes after first hit, which is why most people approaching with Falcon nair would run->shield to stop running moment and jump out of shield which is essentially a neutral jump which you can tilt in a direction for a more footsie/combo focused nair. From what i've seen the Uair train is still as strong as ever in Sm4sh tho. Retreating nairs using that shield tech are really good with falcons long legs.

Sayad

I understand when a website priorities articles based on clicks potential instead of news importance, but at the same time, those are the sites I avoid visiting.

EH avoiding Xrd news because it doesn't bring enough traffic is kinda silly though, considering the Xrd article is the one with the most comments right now on their front page.

Will the one behind you whiff? Does this place me at frame advantage?

Running forward will also make all of them whiff apparently.
I don't know the numbers since it changed from +R but it's gotta be atleast 20 frames of recovery for Faust(-13 on block) . It should be fairly easy to punish.

The game uses a defense modifier instead. Millia takes 1.22 times more damage than like say Sol does. Potemkin's something in the 0.9s.
And then there's the convoluted magic pixel guts mechanics which kicks in at 50% health and starts scaling damage even more. That's why you see people lose their first half of their health in practically one combo.

do the same combos work against every character? VF has 221 health across the board but differing weight classes means some characters get hit harder than others

No, there's character weights which affects how fast characters fall in combos. The more hits in a combo the more the character falls.
Then there's other annoying things like character hurt boxes stretching and shrinking.

petghost

Banned

- Get rid of obnoxious troll customizations

Eileen is dope tho...

But seriously no more customization madness.

Sayah

Too late, they have to appeal to the anime audience to get the sales they need! Prepare for Akirako-chan, Akira's long lost 12-year-old sister to join the fight in her gym uniform!
LOL

Seriously, VF is probably a great fighting game series but it is also the least popular. They need to introduce dramatic changes in the presentation/art style/hit effects/characters with VF6. Something that makes it exciting for the casual observer while retaining the hardcore elements that make the series great.

Also, Beef's abrasiveness aside, I'm not really hearing buzz about Xrd in general from the regular FGC denizens yet but that's probably due to the game being delayed so folks haven't gotten a chance to sit down with it yet.

I started practicing it last night myself. Did basic commands for a bunch of chars then started on Ramlethal's trials. Still gotta decide on a character but I definitely wanted to start with her first.
I've actually finished most of Ramlethal's trials which is a first for me in an ArcSys game. They're pretty easy save for the last few which I've only looked at (and promptly quit back to menu afterwards)

Malice215

I'm surprised people are mad about EH.

I'm surprised that people still visit EH. I stopped visiting after the whole adblock mess years ago. Plus there's plenty of other places to get news from.

Ideally they should try to cover everything or allow someone to post that news for them, but ultimately they are going to cover what drives traffic to their website which is mainly SF stuff and fluff. They're not a community site. And even if they did cover more Xrd stuff, it still won't change the fact that most people aren't interested in the news for Xrd or any of these other fighting games. For the amount of hate EH is receiving, where's the comments for this article?

http://iplaywinner.com/news/2014/12/21/ogawa-kog-dogura-coming-to-northwest-majors.html

I've had my experience writing news, people contacting me to write something, or trying to get a site to cover something and it's tough, especially when you don't get anything back for the amount of time and effort it takes. It's easy to pile on EH and criticize their lack of coverage, but where's the coverage on Dustloop for example?

EH avoiding Xrd news because it doesn't bring enough traffic is kinda silly though, considering the Xrd article is the one with the most comments right now on their front page.

But alot of the comments are just commenting on their lack of coverage. If they posted some Xrd news without the smugness, they won't receive as many.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Verendus giving us the gift that keeps on giving. We have, to my knowledge, four major fighting games coming out this gen which are street fighter, virtual fighter, dead or alive and pokken coming o7t for this current generation. I didn't mention Xrd since it already cane out but in total that makes five games. Any games I might be missing?

Azure J

Needs more Marvel & Darkstalkers. :p

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a new edition of Marvel 3 (Uncanny?) but that ship is long gone. Hopefully a Marvel 4 wouldn't be such a clusterfuck and won't be as divisive as 3 is.

GG really has been improving my Smash play. Something about playing a variety of fighting games always improves my skill level.

Needs more Marvel & Darkstalkers. :p

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a new edition of Marvel 3 (Uncanny?) but that ship is long gone. Hopefully a Marvel 4 wouldn't be such a clusterfuck and won't be as divisive as 3 is.
Marvel 4 will probably be even worse than 3 now that S-Kill is gone.

Also, since GG is the spiritual successor to Darkstalkers, I am pretty sated on that end. I doubt Capcom could pull off a Darkstalkers sequel anyway.

vocab

People still care about eventhubs? Terribly written articles, dont even have any useful character guides anymore, and seem to cover online matches way too much. I think the only use eventhubs has for me is the stream tracker thing, and even then, that barely works right.

Azure J

GG really has been improving my Smash play. Something about playing a variety of fighting games always improves my skill level.

I remember when I was playing Marvel and then started getting back into Smash with Project M, I felt so weird when things I thought were beyond my skill set (wavedashing, crouch cancelling on reaction, and a lot of really basic stuff since I was a weird who went 64 - Brawl - Project M/Melee) just became second nature.

All that Viper and Dante grinding must have done wonders for my execution. :D

Yet as I say this, I'm still intimidated by GG. :lol

Marvel 4 will probably be even worse than 3 now that S-Kill is gone.

Also, since GG is the spiritual successor to Darkstalkers, I am pretty sated on that end. I doubt Capcom could pull off a Darkstalkers sequel anyway.

Never thought of either of these like this before. Hmm, maybe we are at a good place currently.

Rhapsody

Banned

For a traditional fighter, GG actually reminds me of Smash a lot. Lot of neutral play and situational stuff that you have to adapt on the fly.

Edit: Also that Verendus stuff. So many good supposed things in the pipeline it sounds like.

Sayad

Verendus giving us the gift that keeps on giving. We have, to my knowledge, four major fighting games coming out this gen which are street fighter, virtual fighter, dead or alive and pokken coming o7t for this current generation. I didn't mention Xrd since it already cane out but in total that makes five games. Any games I might be missing?
MKX and Tekken 7!

Clawww

Xrd could honestly have been a lot bigger if it were on more platforms. PC players could really use a good new fighting game to play. I want to get in on Xrd badly, but I'm not looking to buy an PS3 or PS4 and the requisite stick at this time.

Absolutely looking forward to jumping in with some friends this weekend, though.

A bunch of deals right now on fighting games: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/promotion/deals-with-gold

Also, you must be Gold for these deals!

SFxT for $20, and the 12 character unlock DLC for $10.

Tekken 6 for $7.49.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for $6.59 and the online pass for 5 bucks! Also a TON of various DLC for it at various prices!
TTT2 had an online pass? I never heard that prior to this event!

Accent Core is similar to Darkstalkers. Xrd not so much.
Inform me?

Rhapsody

Banned
If a modern Darkstalkers ever did happen, I don't know how they'd get it to work. A lot of the cool aspects about the game are things that wouldn't fly in current fighters. Supers without camera movement I can't see happen. Plus I can see a lot of people wouldn't enjoy the inputs for pushblocking from the series.

xezuru

For a traditional fighter, GG actually reminds me of Smash a lot. Lot of neutral play and situational stuff that you have to adapt on the fly.

Edit: Also that Verendus stuff. So many good supposed things in the pipeline it sounds like.

Yeah when it comes to Smash Heads, at least my personal view and what i've seen in the old melee crews. We love crazy movement and combo/setup improv. Which is why i think we see people who were into smash like Chris G,Forward, and Bum among others that slip my mind, trying/putting in work in Marvel.

Edit: Speaking of GG, I hope my LE edition has stocked in my gamestop, been waiting so long already.

Nyoro SF

Xrd could honestly have been a lot bigger if it were on more platforms. PC players could really use a good new fighting game to play. I want to get in on Xrd badly, but I'm not looking to buy an PS3 or PS4 and the requisite stick at this time.

Once Xrd comes out for PC, I'll finally sell my PS3.

In other news, I just got a shipping confirmation for my TE2. However, I'm going to be away from home for a bit... I hope the FEDEX guy drops this stick off in the apartment office, or there will be hell to pay!

Thanks for looking out MCZ. Once the holiday season is over I can begin unloading my 2 old arcade sticks.

Marz

TTT2 had an online pass? I never heard that prior to this event!

Inform me?

What monsters are in Xrd? Eddie and that's like it. No testament, no Zappa, character redesigns removing a lot of their darker appeal(Zato's shadow being more of a shark than a demon) etc. Stages like hell, graveyard, grove etc not really having an equivalent in Xrd. Like I can't think of a stage in Xrd that gives me the same vibe when I play on Fetus of God in Vampire Savior.

The stages, the cast, and the overall look of the game being a lot brighter and cheerful than past Guilty Gears makes it feel more like a typical anime game than a spiritual successor to darkstalkers imo.

Unless you were just talking about the gameplay or something.

Azure J

I think that might be the biggest reason why I find myself so eager to get in and just crack out on it. There's a lot of different movement options, little ways to get positioning down pat and a good but not daunting learning curve to it all. The game is also a visual feast of colors and wacky character designs/interactions (shit like that means a lot more to me than I care to admit, lol).

The idea that the player base for the franchise will be out in full force to answer questions and play regularly was also a big bonus.

Off topic: Link to the Verendus stuff?

If a modern Darkstalkers ever did happen, I don't know how they'd get it to work. A lot of the cool aspects about the game are things that wouldn't fly in current fighters. Supers without camera movement I can't see happen. Plus I can see a lot of people wouldn't enjoy the inputs for pushblocking from the series.

Really all I'd want is for them to iterate on VSav. Karst's previous post has me realizing that a lot of what I'd want from this is provided within Xrd, but I guess I just want more blueberry zombie in my life. :lol

We were talking with Smooth Operator about how we hate having to keep consoles to play fighting games. Each time I find motivation to play a fighting game on my PS3 or Xbox 360 I have at least 2 updates to do before playing, the games starts slowly, etc. I'm displeased I can't just type with my keyboard to discuss, I can't alt tab to check a video or a combo, I have to bring a laptop or something like that. I know it's lazyness but I can't think otherwise : I now hate having to play multiplayer games on consoles as the user experience is shit compared to PC.

What monsters are in Xrd? Eddie and that's like it. No testament, no Zappa, character redesigns removing a lot of their darker appeal(Zato's shadow being more of a shark than a demon) etc. Stages like hell, graveyard, grove etc not really having an equivalent in Xrd. Like I can't think of a stage in Xrd that gives me the same vibe when I play on Fetus of God in Vampire Savior.

The stages, the cast, and the overall look of the game being a lot brighter and cheerful than past Guilty Gears makes it feel more like a typical anime game than a spiritual successor to darkstalkers imo.

Unless you were just talking about the gameplay or something.
Yeah, I was talking about the gameplay. :p

People still care about eventhubs? Terribly written articles, dont even have any useful character guides anymore, and seem to cover online matches way too much. I think the only use eventhubs has for me is the stream tracker thing, and even then, that barely works right.

I go there to check out news, if you have any other sites that's better than EH and Shoryuken, let me know? I'm starting to hate EH for comment sections and the site freezes on me.

japanese VF3tb team tournament from Sunday

http://youtu.be/YcB4-N-CiXI

Love the uneven terrain, hehe.

Also, thinking about how EH (or SRk), does their coverage. I understand they need to push the games that get the hits. But they have that same straight up and down blog design (like kotaku or evilavatar).

They could structure the page like a news site (al jazeera or CNN) with multiple panels. Daigo getting drunk can be the main font/size/panel, and the GG news is in the smaller panel, but still in sight. idk.

Top Bottom