• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT3| You're Here Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So they think why improve quality control when people desperately buy an ugly Marth figurines no matter what.

That 1 billion must be wrong. If it is in dollars, then it is too much. In yens, not enough (about 8 million dollars, IIRC, and going by Nintendo getting 10 dollars per amiibo (which is too much, I would say, but let's move on)), that means they would've sold about 800 thousand amiibos.

Sweet Ivy

The Zero Suit Samus figure is great, even if it is from a crappy Metroid game. I'm live in Canada as well, and I mostly order from Amiami for new stuff and sometimes pre-owned, but most of the time I get my preowned stuff from Mandarake. Do you live in Toronto by any chance? Because if you're looking for local shops there are a few places downtown that sell figures, though the selection will never be as good as online.
As I'm fairly new to this I find the prices of the downtown shops to be fairly high (and stock it's usually dated), but maybe they are fair if one considers import fees?
What's your opinion/experience?

Also, what do you usually use for shipping method from AmiAmi, I pre-ordered my first figure a couple of months back!

Also 2, is there a convention in town that focus on figures? Would be nice to attend!

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
okay guys, I'm seriously ready to ban GK pics up in this piece. They lead to nothing but disappointment. "Hey, look at what people with talent can do!" :(

Maybe we should all just get one and see whose comes out best and that person's gonna paint GKs for everyone XD

Zombine

Banned
Nintendo discontinuing 3 figures is so random and weird. At least make one more run.

I don't really understand the reasoning behind it? Did they project them not to sell? Is there some sort of production complexity I'm missing? Or is Nintendo just being silly?

Maybe we should all just get one and see whose comes out best and that person's gonna paint GKs for everyone XD

My uncle used to paint / repair train models, he had a bunch of those high grade paints.

He was a train nut, the amount of train models that he had was huge, once they had them all sorted the price of them all together was about the same as a mid range car. I remember that every saturday he bought a new one. But he wasn't one to keep them in the box, there used to be a place here where you could bring your models of trains, boats and etc to play with, like a toy park for adults. I went there a couple of times with him, it was amazing. They had a huge town with tracks and everything that you could think of: lights, bridges, huge buildings, rivers, etc. The members could put their trains and stuff in the city and watch as they went by.

People here keep saying that he's gone but I live on with the tradition of collecting stuff.

omlet

Also, what do you usually use for shipping method from AmiAmi, I pre-ordered my first figure a couple of months back!

Is this just a general question? I usually use EMS because my orders are too big for SAL Registered small packet, but I use SAL Registered small packet when I can to save money. Don't use SAL parcel or unregistered.

If you are not far from Navito World you should check them out. I was able to get a hard-to-find figure from them for a reasonable price.

Luigi87

Nintendo discontinuing 3 figures is so random and weird. At least make one more run.

They should make one more run.
My guess is it's because they're rushing series 2 to shelves (out this Friday). This poses a problem due to limited shelf space at retailers. Naturally Nintendo has probably planned this all in advance, but it's ultimately screwing over a lot of people.

I can say that when I'm at work on Thursday, I'm going to be scanning any new labels I see regarding series 2, and seeing what the quantities are for each. (IE: The store I work at only got one package of Marth/WFT/Villager, all whom share a shipping box. 2/ea in a pack of 6.)

omlet

Weekend Nendo PSA.

Amiami closed preorders on Naruko Aoba a couple days ago then reopened for "Tentative" preorders yesterday. If you were on the fence about this one, better get in line while you still can.

I put my order in yesterday, here's hoping I can still get one.

Just unboxed my Kotobukiya 1/6 ArtFX Batman. Good lord, he seems bigger than 1/6. He's massive. The desk I have my PC on has one of those high-back shelves, so I have him on top of there with some other figures. He's so big he'd eat up a detolf shelf on his own, and he won't even fit in the billy. XD

I can't wait to get the 1/6 Wonder Woman. They'll look amazeballs together.

95463.jpg

Sweet Ivy

Is this just a general question? I usually use EMS because my orders are too big for SAL Registered small packet, but I use SAL Registered small packet when I can to save money. Don't use SAL parcel or unregistered.

If you are not far from Navito World you should check them out. I was able to get a hard-to-find figure from them for a reasonable price.
Both general and AmiAmi specific.
Last year I used EMS on a purchase from a US store and the custom handling fees (not the tax) were outrageous.

I'm actually fairly close, I'll go check it out.
I'm a bit ignorant so I'll have to go, take notes and check home for comparison on what could be fair or a nice deal.

yami4ct

Eh, for the Wii Fit Trainer and maybe Marth it makes a bit of sense. Kids (the real market) aren't going to be grabbing those very often, so if they print very many they'd quickly clog shelves. It's just the way of the world for figures released in a US style "wave" system. The villager is the one I don't really understand, though. Animal Crossing has quite a following, so I'd think it'd have enough clout to be worth producing more of, but since I don't have the sales numbers in front of me, I would't know.

Einbroch

Banned
It all comes down to shelf space. Each Amiibo section has a certain number of columns. You have your Amiibos that sell well, like Mario, Link, Yoshino, etc, and you have your Amiibos that don't, like Marth and WFT. Retailers likely quickly put in reorders for the ones that sold well, and Nintendo focused their production line on those while temporarily retiring the ones that didn't sell well for the holiday season, bringing them back when sales slow.

Plus, this can give the illusion that they truly are limited and you better run out and buy them.

yami4ct

It all comes down to shelf space. Each Amiibo section has a certain number of columns. You have your Amiibos that sell well, like Mario, Link, Yoshino, etc, and you have your Amiibos that don't, like Marth and WFT. Retailers likely quickly put in reorders for the ones that sold well, and Nintendo focused their production line on those while temporarily retiring the ones that didn't sell well for the holiday season, bringing them back when sales slow.

That's close, but if Ammibos are like most toys sold in the US, the retailers don't order individual amiibos. They order cases of each wave that comes with a certain amount of each.

So let's say Nintendo can sell 10,000 units of that major characters Pikachu, Link and Mario. On the other hand, only 1,000 people buy Marth, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager. If they are packed evenly for all time, the 1,000 sellers will stack up. They will clog shelves and retailers either have to discount the ones that don't sell (thus cutting the profit on the whole case) or, just thinking the line is a shit seller, stop carrying it. Short packing the lesser wanted figures and not including them in future waves gets them out, but also doesn't cause problems for retailers so they keep ordering new waves or cases of the same wave.

If nintendo sees surprise demand for a certain character, they have a few options. They can have a wave revision that's all the same figures, but increases the amount of ones that sell. They can included the demanded figure in a future wave. A big likely option for them, though, is we'll see repaints of current figures in future waves to attract repeat buyers and get the ones that missed it the first time.

Impotaku

I really have to stop browsing Amazon as it's starting to learn my tastes, it just introduced me to more expensive figures.

These ones are amazing, i have no idea who made them but i have a feeling they are prize items as both kinds on amazon are crazy prices. Red one is 35,000 and black one is 12,000. They are part figure and part money box, when you put coins in it lights up & starts moving they are pretty cool and those boxes are to die for they have an awesome 70's vibe to them.

Don't think i'm quite rich enough to add them to my collection yet. Someone had got one on youtube so i can see it moving, hmmg must resist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUf4re0AuM4

Meyneth

Both general and AmiAmi specific.
Last year I used EMS on a purchase from a US store and the custom handling fees (not the tax) were outrageous.

I'm actually fairly close, I'll go check it out.
I'm a bit ignorant so I'll have to go, take notes and check home for comparison on what could be fair or a nice deal.
I feel that as long as you get tracking, you can go with whatever shipping options you'd like.

For navito world I would say that if you can get to the store it'll be a better deal for you (or worse since you'll be bombarded with figures you never even considered). Most of navito's stuff is fairly well priced (after conversion and shipping and/or customs). They also have a fairly current selection, but they order figures in batches. So a figure that should be out in April might not get to the store until July because they also combined the order with other figures that came out in May and June as well.

Since you're new to figure collecting it'll be harder for you to guesstimate prices. Conventions/stores are great for practicing because you see tons of imported stuff and you have to try and guess if the sticker price is fair or not. They're also good practice in spotting bootlegs vs legit figures (fan expo was the best this year).

A good way to start with physical stores is to pick a few (2-4) figures you're really looking for, do the research on approximate price after conversion and shipping (and if customs apply) and then head to the stores and see how close the prices are.
You'll have to remember that the store needs to make money on the figure too, so I wouldn't say that you should aim to buy on the first trip.

Edit: I forgot to mention that navito world is good smile company's official distributor for Canada. So they'll have snow miku for sale

Bombless

SAL Registered is well and good but for December I cannot stress enough you'd better go EMS or risk large delays due to the volume of shipping happening towards the 2nd half of the month.

Meyneth

SAL Registered is well and good but for December I cannot stress enough you'd better go EMS or risk large delays due to the volume of shipping happening towards the 2nd half of the month.
This as well.

EMS may also help make sure your package gets to where it needs to go (requires more scanning checkpoints). My stuff used to go to another persons house all the time (she orders a lot, and her name also starts with an 'M' so the mailman would just mark it as hers) and since I switched to EMS he hasn't done that again.

Does anyone have any experience ordering from Forbidden Planet International in the UK? I've heard very bad things, and to me this seems like a pricing error they would never honour: http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/colossus-titan-takayuki-takeya-ver.#.VIT02O1FB77

Now bare in mind that statue is limited to 500 worldwide and probably worth twice that after UK tax and import and has been added. Is it worth a punt anyway?
Probably worth a try if they don't take payment till shipping, haven't used them before though. At least their T&C says: "No Sales Contract is formed until dispatch of goods"
And:
"As all orders are placed on the system as a “request to supply”, you can reserve your items safely in the knowledge that FPHS do not charge your card, or bank your cheque, until we have goods ready to ship. (The exception being Paypal which is a cash with order process.)"
http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/terms-conditions
I'm not sure if I should be surprised or not at the level of understanding among FigureGAF.

All I understand is that Ill be poor if I keep coming in here too often -- I think I saw a planned Dark Magician Girl a few pages or so back.
This one?

As I'm fairly new to this I find the prices of the downtown shops to be fairly high (and stock it's usually dated), but maybe they are fair if one considers import fees?
What's your opinion/experience?

Also 2, is there a convention in town that focus on figures? Would be nice to attend!

Yeah stores will always have higher prices and fewer selection, The Silver Snail has some good stuff though, and I think there's an anime shop somewhere in Chinatown (can't recall the name).
When it comes to shipping with Amiami I find that it's best to either use EMS or SAL Registered. EMS is the most expensive option, but it's fast as fuck and has tracking; while SAL Registered is cheaper and still has tracking, but it takes longer to be delivered. Usually there's no duty or fees when I order from Amiami, not sure why, but maybe it's because of their markdowns.

As for conventions, I would say your best bets are either Anime North or Fan Expo. I don't go to Fan Expo too often but I go to Anime North every year, and I found that the prices really depend on the vendor. Some will overprice their figures and other merch to compensate for the shipping on their end, but once in a while you'll be able to find some stuff at great prices. For example, I got this great Yoko Prize figure, unopened, for 50 bucks at one booth, but she was over $100 dollars at every other booth. Also, depending on who you're dealing with, you may be able to haggle some vendors down, but I think this works best on the last day of the con when everyone is trying to sell as much of their stock as they can,

Drayco21

Haven't posted anything in the last couple months since my purchasing has slowed down considerably (mostly because I still haven't taken the plunge on Japanese stuff, and still pretty much just stick to Marvel), but I just got an early Christmas present from my friend before we head home for winter break: the Winter Soldier Legends Black Widow, my personal grail of the year. Hasbro decided that she should be packed one to a case because "no one wants toys of girls", even though she was basically the second protagonist of the movie, the only member of the movie Avengers without a Legends-scale figure, and came with the torso for the build-a-figure.

I love they gave her alternate heads, since Hasbro hasn't really done the swappable parts thing traditionally speaking. I'll probably never have her with the Winter Soldier head on my shelf since I liked her Avengers' look better, and it gives her more range of movement without the longer hair blocking the neck. Weirdly enough though, she didn't come with any guns- she has two pistols molded into holsters on her hips, but despite coming with hands molded to wield guns, she doesn't actually have any of her own. We subbed out a silenced pistol we had laying around for it, and I think it looks great with her. Outside of that nitpick, she's a fantastic figure. Really looking forward to seeing her join the rest of my collection, and to finally finish the Mandroid.

Also, when I went home for the weekend for Christmas decorations, I had the chance to continue on a personal annual tradition of putting a random Deadpool figure out with the regular Christmas stuff. Normally he photobombs the Nativity scene, but since we didn't put one up this year, I decided to have him hang out with the Snowbabies.

(As usual, sorry for the bad quality phone pictures while I'm away from a real camera.)

They look cut-

*looks at the price*

What the fuck.

Talking about the game, I have all shops at max level (those things that take ages even with hundreds of streetpasses) but I'm under level 8 I think in the campain. My party is only the initial dude and the priestess.

Why are straps so expensive ;__; will probably get but hope BIJ stocks it if I were to order.
Still need to finish the game myself XD the latter sections of the game =/

My exact reaction lol

The Square-Enix tax~

Follows their similar pricing for those two sets of Final Fantasy rubber straps.

I wanted the first one but thought that was too pricey :/

Also, when I went home for the weekend for Christmas decorations, I had the chance to continue on a personal annual tradition of putting a random Deadpool figure out with the regular Christmas stuff. Normally he photobombs the Nativity scene, but since we didn't put one up this year, I decided to have him hang out with the Snowbabies.

(As usual, sorry for the bad quality phone pictures while I'm away from a real camera.)

Loved the Deadpool, I once photobombed my family's christmas decoration with Robocop (the good one). Can't remember where he is now, though.

The Square-Enix tax~

Follows their similar pricing for those two sets of Final Fantasy rubber straps.

I wanted the first one but thought that was too pricey :/

Square Enix is just insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom