• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT3| You're Here Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started with that mindset too, just saying. :p

I blame poor life decisions and Amiami's pre-owned section.
haha, Ive been at this long enough to feel safe

I could show you guys where my entertainment budget goes, I think you would all feel better about your figure budgets. Im quite ok with how I spend my money though

omlet

Literally the only thing "anime" I own are figures, and I use Gamefly, so my entertainment budget is pretty small.

How you guys buy those overpriced BDs...that's just insane to me.

That's why I wait for good sales to buy most of mine. I'm also pretty picky with anime. There are usually only a handful of shows each year that I care about enough to actually buy. I've spent just under $200 on BD/DVD this year and only $120 last year.

No no, I know. The deals are fine, but I see posts sometimes on here and other forums where people drop a ton of money on BDs, like $100+ on a single series or part of a series.

I did that for Madoka Magica and Mushishi. No regrets.

Einbroch

Banned
Sorry, I don't mean to attack the people that spend that money on the BDs. I meant to say that it's ridiculous that they cost so much.

Sorry, I don't mean to attack the people that spend that money on the BDs. I meant to say that it's ridiculous that they cost so much.
I have quite a bit of disposable income and I love anime, but I refuse to buy them because the price is just absurd.

If some people find them worth it then more power to em, but I just wont do it

Agreed, I would love to buy more of Aniplex's stuff but to hell with that. I know we still pay less than what Japan has to pay but that is a poor excuse in my opinion.

omlet

I didn't feel attacked. I agree they are pretty expensive. Stuff like those crazy prices on aniplex ufotable stuff is just nope, even though I like the work. Just quoting some numbers for perspective. A couple hundred bucks a year is not a big deal to me to own a copy of a show or movie I really enjoy and want to have on hand to rewatch or lend.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Anime is niche, and some Japanese companies like to keep Japanese prices for foreign markets. Most localized Anime however is ridiculously cheap actually. Especially compared to the early DVD days where a 3-4 episode DVD would cost $30. I remember paying $200 for the Fushigi Yuugi sets. Nowadays you can get whole series on the cheap. Except for those darn Aniplex titles.

On the other hand, the UK Monogatari blu-ray releases were much cheaper than the US releases :) Most likely because Europe is region B, while US and Japan are region A and the Japanese companies are afraid of reverse importation.

So it looks like the Hibiki figma is still available but the nendo isn't on amiami. Is it safe to say that nippon-yasan is the next best way to get the nendo?

Also on amiami if I'm just ordering one item should I choose "Ship Separately" or "Ship With Order"?

MicH

I just pre-ordered the Lucina figma. This will be my very first figure! I fear for what I have done, because now I want to buy the Samus figma as well, even though it's only available on Play-Asia and a bit more expensive...

LiK

So it looks like the Hibiki figma is still available but the nendo isn't on amiami. Is it safe to say that nippon-yasan is the next best way to get the nendo?

Also on amiami if I'm just ordering one item should I choose "Ship Separately" or "Ship With Order"?

Doesn't matter. That option is if you order more than one item or want to combine with an existing order.

kewlmyc

Anime is niche, and some Japanese companies like to keep Japanese prices for foreign markets. Most localized Anime however is ridiculously cheap actually. Especially compared to the early DVD days where a 3-4 episode DVD would cost $30. I remember paying $200 for the Fushigi Yuugi sets. Nowadays you can get whole series on the cheap. Except for those darn Aniplex titles.

On the other hand, the UK Monogatari blu-ray releases were much cheaper than the US releases :) Most likely because Europe is region B, while US and Japan are region A and the Japanese companies are afraid of reverse importation.
Yeah, hence me buying UK anime instead. US Funimation has good prices, Sentai is decent, and Aniplex is full on bullshit. UK prices for Aniplex releases is so so much cheaper.

I also dont watch anything unless its dubbed...and I can find a lot of free legal alternatives for most good dubbed anime.

Blu rays are a last resort for me, but most of what I watch comes pretty cheap. If its not I have no problems waiting as video games take the vast majority of my free time and I always have a backlog waiting

It's a good thing I'm only ever interested in Lady figures if they're among my favorite characters.

Makes not being able to get figures somewhat less painful.

Luckily I been pretty selective on what full scale figures I'll get, guys or girls.

Sure, the same can't be said for Nendos...

Rightstuf sale has been wrecking me. Thankfully I grabbed most of what I was after so I plan to avoid that site for a while lol.

I refuse to consider ordering anything from RightStuf until they reveal everything and then I dread the order total...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Yeah, hence me buying UK anime instead. US Funimation has good prices, Sentai is decent, and Aniplex is full on bullshit. UK prices for Aniplex releases is so so much cheaper.

Too bad Kill-la-Kill UK BD is as super expensive though :/

RMI

Banned
I just pre-ordered the Lucina figma. This will be my very first figure! I fear for what I have done, because now I want to buy the Samus figma as well, even though it's only available on Play-Asia and a bit more expensive...

nah man, don't order from play-asia unless you absolutely have to. You can get it from mandarake for 3.8K

Luigi87

tumblr_lrv6mbb5mp1r2ljlfo1_500.jpg
Rest of FigureGAF is gettin' lazy.

Ultimadrago

Mhmm, I guess so. I'm just getting rid of any figure that I bought solely because "it was cute". Getting out of that mindset altogether. Only keeping figs from series I'm a huge fan of, which is most of my collection. Only getting rid of like 8 figures total. Plus Mitsuru, since I already have one.

Good on you!

george_us

Cancelled my Bishoujo Jubilee order. More I thought about it, the more I came to the conclusion that I can just wait until the US. Feels weird only having one preorder for the month which is already paid for. Feels...good?

RMI

Banned
Woah, that's a much better price! Thank you for the link :D

No problem. I have been searching for a scale Samus on mandarake ever since letting one slip through my fingers a few weeks back (though another FigureGAFer got it so I don't feel too bad). Noticed the figma at a decent price there.

If there's something you're looking for and you don't see it on amiami I would always make Mandarake your next stop. They're great.

Caladrius

Luckily I been pretty selective on what full scale figures I'll get, guys or girls.

Sure, the same can't be said for Nendos...

Thankfully Nendos are pretty much 80% of what people need.

I have a very arbitrary set of rules that dictate when I get figures/toys.

1. Needs at least a little play value
2. Partially customizable somehow
3. Has to be/have a character/idea I really like.
4. Blue, Black, Pink and Purple are priority colors
5. If it's cool and limited edition, snap that shit up.

Then there's brand-specific rules (For Lego for instance, it's price-to-part ratio must be close to or greater than 1-10) so I tend to narrow down my tangible goods tremendously

Zomba13

Well... apparently that £10 Pit Figma I ordered from Amazon marketplace seller "New Japan" (which now is seemingly only selling one item) has gotten lost in the post coming from Japan and I've been refunded the money. The figure was supposed to arrive between Saturday, 22 November 2014 - Monday, 15 December 2014. I'm guessing they either didn't actually have the thing in stock to begin with or realised it was a pricing error and never actually sent it out. This sucks :(

Nah, not for me. What brought me here was Snk, otherwise I wouldn't even know that this existed.

I19yYS7.gif

Hope I didn't cause your wallet to much harm by showing you here hehe

Well... apparently that £10 Pit Figma I ordered from Amazon marketplace seller "New Japan" (which now is seemingly only selling one item) has gotten lost in the post coming from Japan and I've been refunded the money. The figure was supposed to arrive between Saturday, 22 November 2014 - Monday, 15 December 2014. I'm guessing they either didn't actually have the thing in stock to begin with or realised it was a pricing error and never actually sent it out. This sucks :(

Be very careful on Amazon. I would only suggest ordering figures there if it is eligible for free shipping or just basically sold by Amazon or fulfilled by them. Easier to get things taken care of if you notice your new figure is a bootleg.

Speaking of Amazon, I just got a hugely surprising email from them about a delay for Phat's Chiaki. New delivery date is estimated for early February. It'd be nice to get her before the end of 2015.

cajunator

Banned
Mhmm, I guess so. I'm just getting rid of any figure that I bought solely because "it was cute". Getting out of that mindset altogether. Only keeping figs from series I'm a huge fan of, which is most of my collection. Only getting rid of like 8 figures total. Plus Mitsuru, since I already have one.

I honestly dont just collect cutie figures believe it or not. I like all the shows and characters I buy figures of. It happens to be a wide variety of characters though so I own a whole lot.
I try to get figure representatives of most of my favorite shows and sometimes figures that particularly stand out to me as must-have or are just really distinctive like some of the Hatsune Miku's.

Rightstuf sale has been wrecking me. Thankfully I grabbed most of what I was after so I plan to avoid that site for a while lol.

I basically have everything on dvd/bluray already so those sales really dont do much for me.
So I can concentrate largely on figures.

Ryuuroden

No no, I know. The deals are fine, but I see posts sometimes on here and other forums where people drop a ton of money on BDs, like $100+ on a single series or part of a series.

Pshhhh, 100 bucks, that's chump change, I remember my anime DVD purchase hayday in the early 2000's before the oversaturation crash. I was spending rediculous amounts. At least I made a hefty profit when I sold off my complete ccs, fushigi yuugi, kimagure Orange road, and sailor moon box sets when they went out of print. I got almost 1000 dollars for all the sailor moon dvds.

StayDead

so I'm moving in January and I'm not sure exactly the date. Is it worth me just putting the delivery address for my end of December orders to my Dad's house just in case? :p

Einbroch

Banned
so I'm moving in January and I'm not sure exactly the date. Is it worth me just putting the delivery address for my end of December orders to my Dad's house just in case? :p
Same here.

My plan is to send them to my mother's place. That likely means I won't pick them up for a month or two, but what can you do.

I'm actually planning another purchase beyond the two I mentioned a couple of pages ago.

I'm planning on putting the Hibiki figma and nendo on one side of my computer desk. But it will look uneven if I do that so I need something to balance it out.

I've been eyeing this Kazanari Tsubasa figure (from the same series).

I guess AmiAmi and Nippon-Yasan are the first places I should look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom