• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Same shit happening in the Dragons Dogma 2 thread despite having glowing

I don't mind the odd complaint but it just dominates the discussion and it's so fucking dull.

If your that bothered about graphics just spend your life's saving on a Monster PC and spare us your crybaby tears!
I have been saying that for YEARS but apparently I have “low standards”.

Same just got there and it's another brilliant reimagining. I just love how lively all these locations are.

They also feel just about right in terms, of size, Kalm, Junon, Costa Del Sol etc... a lot bigger than original versions with tons of explorable outdoor and indoor areas, but not too big that they're completely overwhelming and not too small that you wish they were significantly bigger. There's just so much detailed packed into each place. Even some of the random portraits in Inns and stuff have been impressive.
I was thinking this there just the right size. There's lots of shit to do in them as well which makes them more memorable.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Averaging out 12,8h per day according to my playtime. Oh, still GOTG btw

EfantwA.jpeg

Belthazar

It's kinda impressive how they manage to make each area feel new to avoid that open world staleness. I'm in the third major area and the new mechanics introduced make it feel really fresh

When the Corel region opens up after Corel Prison, it really opens up the way you can traverse and interact with the world. With the Buggy being really cool to drive and the grappling hook being incorporated into the open world. Really simple mechanics, but that are really helping with that region feeling fresh.

The game keeps improving in regards to exploration with each new area. Hopefully it continues as, considering the original, there's still probably 3 or 4 areas to go.

Last edited:
It's kinda impressive how they manage to make each area feel new to avoid that open world staleness. I'm in the third major area and the new mechanics introduced make it feel really fresh

When the Corel region opens up after Corel Prison, it really opens up the way you can traverse and interact with the world. With the Buggy being really cool to drive and the grappling hook being incorporated into the open world. Really simple mechanics, but that are really helping with that region feeling fresh.

The game keeps improving in regards to exploration with each new area. Hopefully it continues as, considering the original, there's still probably 3 or 4 areas to go.
Yeah, I loved that about the area. Smart of them to build on it, makes it a lot more engaging than just "another area".

Belthazar

Yeah, I loved that about the area. Smart of them to build on it, makes it a lot more engaging than just "another area".

I was really disappointed at the beginning of that area

the Costa del Sol region

with it being relatively similar to the first. But the second half of it was fantastic.

Last edited:
I have been saying that for YEARS but apparently I have “low standards”.
If I can explain myself a bit, I replayed Remake and INTERmission on hard mode right before Rebirth came out to get the platinum. It really looks/runs amazing in both modes, especially performance. So the same characters, combat etc but looking way better is really fresh in the mind. Obviously squeezing through tight walls while loading small environments is very different from massive open world exploration, but its a shock to the system to see the same party and continue their adventure with what feels like lighting and shaders removed.

Game is sensational though. I'll never play Triple Triad again. Queen's Blood is like, Quadruple Triad up in here

Gamerguy84

Has anyone played on the different combat modes?

I haven't but just watched this video on them. The original game being turn based and this one in real time.

Also summoning was one of my favorite parts of the original. These summons are badass and couldn't be done any better.

Last edited:
Not really feeling the 5th open-world area Gongaga. First area in the game that I just want to skip because the navigation is annoying (which I suppose is appropriate considering the locale) and because I find the OST to be very grating.
Edit: Okay after activating some towers, I now understand what they were doing with the music of this area. It's actually kinda neat, I must admit.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
RE: Canon 'relationships', Gongaga Village.

So, the game is making it pretty obvious that Cloud x Tifa is the canon relationship here, Aerith still has a thing for Zack and Cloud also longingly looks at Tifa after Aerith's scene here.
That's always been the case.

Ifrit, Gi Nattak, Griffon and Death Claw combo feels like cheating in Queens Blood. It's almost impossible to lose and you can score almost 30 points a lane most of the time if you play it right.

hinch7

Finally completed the game and what can I say, bravo. SE and Nomura absolutely smashed it out the park with Rebirth.

It is a little bloated in design if we count the mini-games and world quests but the rest of it is just amazing. The characters, visuals and gameplay are just sublime. As is the OST.

One thing I would say is that the last boss was a bit of a pain (no spoiler) in the last phase and was kicking my arse due to a sub-optimal build. And took me a few goes but holy crap lol. Epic stuff. That ending as well.. yeah. If this were made into split movies as well I'd sit through it all over again. GOTG.

Also, wanna post this if anyone's not seen it. Lol it's the only reason I keep my DVD Special Edition of Advent Children, even though I have Complete on 4k UHD.

If you're familiar with the original and Crisis Core, no issues. If you're Remake/Rebirth only, then absolute goddamn spoilers.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's always been the case.

In the later parts of the OG yes, but in the original
it feels like the game is trying its damndest to turn Aerith and Cloud into a thing.
Here, they seem to have formally dispensed with it around the half-way mark of the story.

Not really feeling the 5th open-world area Gongaga. First area in the game that I just want to skip because the navigation is annoying (which I suppose is appropriate considering the locale) and because I find the OST to be very grating.
Edit: Okay after activating some towers, I now understand what they were doing with the music of this area. It's actually kinda neat, I must admit.

I agree with the striken part, navigation in the fifth area is not as fun.

Thaedolus

tumblr_mgakcwBMwA1ro7l7uo1_500.gif

I just did Queen's Blood tournament on the ship and the whole segment with Red XIII was sooo goood!
Regarding the tournament: is there no way to get more cards on the ship than what’s in the shop? I already had them all, but haven’t won much off others, so this bitch Regina keeps steamrolling me after I cruised into the final round. I keep thinking I got her then she drops some shit that like eats my cards then multiplies hers and I wanna chuck my controller

Edit

omfg I just destroyed her on my first round this morning lmfao

Last edited:
I have a quick question: Is it possible to finish the sidequests after beating the main campaign?
Yes. It's like Remake where you can jump back into any chapter at any time once you beat it also. So I just went back to a late chapter with the whole world available and I'm tinkering around because I waltzed right last the point of no return message. It maintains your progress.

shubik

Yes. It's like Remake where you can jump back into any chapter at any time once you beat it also. So I just went back to a late chapter with the whole world available and I'm tinkering around because I waltzed right last the point of no return message. It maintains your progress.
Thx for the info. I basically b lined the story in the first region and now in del sol only did a few sidequests. I also can´t reach a big chunk od Del Sol island currently. So I just went ahead and just landet at the amusement park

I've completed every queens blood related objective, all gold at GS and all the skills challenges completed. I need this game standalone with pvp.

Last edited:
Thx for the info. I basically b lined the story in the first region and now in del sol only did a few sidequests. I also can´t reach a big chunk od Del Sol island currently. So I just went ahead and just landet at the amusement park
Yep best I can tell absolutely nothing is missable! I like this kind of NG + setup, probably the best there is.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Anyone checked 4k30 graphics mode with and without vrr on lg oleds?
I've seen a post few pages back to disable vrr but I think it was just bs ?

This combat is making me feel like an old man -- between 7 different characters that all have different controls / mechanics, abilities, spells, synergy skills, synergy abilities, limits, summons, items, dodging, blocking, parrying, pressuring, staggering, potency, status effects... it's all a bit much for me to try and keep up with. Really considering just dropping it to easy and not worrying about it.

Also, everything is tiny. I can't tell what buttons it wants me to press and little icons and such for status effects might as well not exist.

Last edited:
This combat is making me feel like an old man -- between 7 different characters that all have different controls / mechanics, abilities, spells, synergy skills, synergy abilities, limits, summons, items, dodging, blocking, parrying, pressuring, staggering, potency, status effects... it's all a bit much for me to try and keep up with. Really considering just dropping it to easy and not worrying about it.

Also, everything is tiny. I can't tell what buttons it wants me to press and little icons and such for status effects might as well not exist.

I'm right there with you, but it doesn't seem like the game forces you to engage with every system if you don't want to. I've been mostly ignoring the synergy skills and abilities, and parries. Only into chapter 4 though.

I'm right there with you, but it doesn't seem like the game forces you to engage with every system if you don't want to. I've been mostly ignoring the synergy skills and abilities, and parries. Only into chapter 4 though.
You definitely don't need to use the synergy abilities to beat the game I didn't have any problem and I used the synergy abilities less than the times you can count on one hand.

Thaedolus

I only recently (15+ hours in) figured out there are synergy abilities and synergy skills…like two different things, used in different ways, and that they affect your relationships. One thing about this game is it has a shitton of systems and it’s hard to keep track of them all, but at least they’re optional. Same with the open world stuff: shitton to do, but you don’t have to do it. But at the same time it’s all pretty enjoyable, and this game just leans so hard into its silliness and fun shit that it’s hard to stop because I want to see what’s next.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I am finding it easier than remake since I never grasped that combat… because I just wanted to check remake out and didn’t pay a lot attention and ended up finishing and loving it lol.

but dont worry. I hear you. I just after 32 hours discovered you can hold r1 an do mini synergies for free… and charge atb of everyone much quicker. It’s so powerful. Wonder if I am missing anything else lol.

One thing I don’t like is folios. You can’t zoom out, the upgrades just seem kinda forced. I could do without that tree.
And I still don’t get materia. I barely use spells other than cure because all elemental stuff I have on my abilities unlocked from folios.

I am finding it easier than remake since I never grasped that combat… because I just wanted to check remake out and didn’t pay a lot attention and ended up finishing and loving it lol.

but dont worry. I hear you. I just after 32 hours discovered you can hold r1 an do mini synergies for free… and charge atb of everyone much quicker. It’s so powerful. Wonder if I am missing anything else lol.

One thing I don’t like is folios. You can’t zoom out, the upgrades just seem kinda forced. I could do without that tree.
And I still don’t get materia. I barely use spells other than cure because all elemental stuff I have on my abilities unlocked from folios.

They went a bit far with the combat and skills in this (too much going on), the battle and skill system in Remake was better IMO. Not that Rebirth is bad, it just feels a step down. Though I really like Red XIII and the improvements to Barrett. But Cloud, Aerith, and Tifa feel like they got nerfed.

Thaedolus

Aerith for sure feels superfluous in fights. Maybe I don’t know how to use her properly but any of her casting stuff seems unnecessary when you’ve got elemental abilities that don’t use MP to pressure/stagger for anyone you choose to assign them to.

Aerith for sure feels superfluous in fights. Maybe I don’t know how to use her properly but any of her casting stuff seems unnecessary when you’ve got elemental abilities that don’t use MP to pressure/stagger for anyone you choose to assign them to.

She seems extra vulnerable, enemies are super aggressive, elemental damage/stagger does not seem as effective, and they give you less MP to burn through (while nerfing arcane ward hard). Maybe it changes later on, I was determined for my party to be Cloud/Red/Aerith but I have fallen back on Cloud/Red/Barrett and Cloud/Tifa/Barrett the first few chapters.

I used her the whole game. Just always like her as my dedicated mage. But I also didn't use any of the elemental abilities, I really don't think they should have been added.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
She seems extra vulnerable, enemies are super aggressive, elemental damage/stagger does not seem as effective, and they give you less MP to burn through (while nerfing arcane ward hard). Maybe it changes later on, I was determined for my party to be Cloud/Red/Aerith but I have fallen back on Cloud/Red/Barrett and Cloud/Tifa/Barrett the first few chapters.
How did they nerf arcane ward?

TheAssist

So someone posted here that they are in Chapter 9 with about 65 hours under their belt I kinda called bullshit on the guy (to myself). Well I'm in chapter 9 now at 62 hours and not even half done. Welp.

Gongaga might actually be my favorite region so far. Cool music, funny sidequests, interesting story implications, good bossfights and a totally different kind of open world. Its incredible that they switch up their design like that. The game really keeps on giving.

I have a question regarding the Corel region:

I have done everything in the region except for the last 2 stages of the proto relic. I gave my contact information to the goblin. Is this triggering later in the story or do I have to do something in the region to trigger the last two section. I have not done the protorelic stuff in Gongaga yet.

Magic attacks are way more powerful than the elemental enhanced attacks

With the right build she’s extremely powerful

TheAssist

Aerith is pure nuketown. The amount of damage she does is insane, not comparable with the elemental abilities, those are just for pressuring enemies, not to deal major damage. When you get magnify materia, she really starts shining bright. Well actually her enemies do, but...

KàIRóS

I disagree Aerith was clearly buffed, Fleeting Familiar is no longer an ATB Command, Radiant Ward turns her into a normal attack turret, her charge Synergy Skill hits like a truck and endgame materia turns her into an absolute killing machine, wait until you see the OPness of Comet Materia + Magic Focus + Arcane Ward, she has helped me clear some of the hardest endgame battles more than any other character.

Yoshichan

Also let’s not forget the most OP limit in the game; Aeris lvl 3 limit that gives the other 2 ppl in your group full limit bar + siphon limit materia on Aeris = GG

Top Bottom