• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

TTOOLL

Speaking of camera, there is a battle in the last chapter I guess in which the camera is really far above. They should have given us this option too.

sublimit

Banned
I defeated Hell House on my first try with lightning as my only magic materia equipped.

It was a slow and miserable process but far from difficult.
No one said that it was difficult. It was just tedious AF and took longer than it should.

ANYWAY i don't know if this has been posted but i have just seen it and thought that it was very cute:
EVmQMNvX0AMwfv_

Created by RoyMarioGaming

Last edited:

Ixion

I'm a few hours in and damn, this is definitely the most surreal experience I've ever had playing a video game. Playing all these moments and areas from the original game with visuals that outclass Advent Children, while seamlessly battling enemies on the streets with the perfect modern Final Fantasy combat system, with great new versions of the original music, and with an awesome absurdly large sword on your back....it's all just clicking together to create something that feels like the ultimate modern Final Fantasy experience. Something we've been waiting almost two decades for.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Something i'm surprised people aren't talking about is the sewer level.

Was I the only one mesmerized by the water physics in this game????

I couldn't really tell if it was baked or not, but they very clearly used some form of fluid dynamics for 90% of the flowing water in this game. It's beautiful.
i had complain for the water in sewer..each time cloud drain the water away, the water kind of dissapear dissipated into the floor instead of flowing away through the canal

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Do you guys think we will get DLC for this? I don't think they have said anything. But it's SE so I can't imagine they will look past DLC money.

Kev Kev

Do you guys think we will get DLC for this? I don't think they have said anything. But it's SE so I can't imagine they will look past DLC money.
almost 100% sure this thing will be DLC'd the fuck out

and for once, ill probably buy every single piece of it. havent done that since ME2

Kumomeme

i dont know what stuff they can add in midgar as dlc and where they going to insert that..each chapter already connected properly..i doubt they would put stuff outside midgar instead

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

Just made it to the Shinra building. Everyone says this final part is very good so really hyped to continue playing.

But what kind of DLC do you expect? I mean, they can't advance on the story because they will save that for chapter 2. So maybe more content in Midgar?

It would be sick if they do some kind of independent prequel chapters with Zack. I mean they already have plenty of the city and enemies assets...

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Please enlighten me I also have troubles with this. :messenger_grinning:

Lock on controls - stick or dpad (says lock on with R3, and your options are either switch targets with stick or dpad)
Lock on Switching - switch in order or direction input (says switch targets by pushing stick left or right, or in direction of target)

Set top one to dpad, second one to whichever you prefer, and then there is a nother option below that for being able to freely switch targets during combos, I have that enabled as well. It's a bit more of a chore to manage the camera this way, and you have to take your hand off of the movement controls to target switch, but I'm not a fan of how the lock on system's camera operates so I'm trying this out.

Press triangle

I think he means entire sets at once.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Just made it to the Shinra building. Everyone says this final part is very good so really hyped to continue playing.

But what kind of DLC do you expect? I mean, they can't advance on the story because they will save that for chapter 2. So maybe more content in Midgar?

It would be sick if they do some kind of independent prequel chapters with Zack. I mean they already have plenty of the city and enemies assets...
i dont know what stuff they can add in midgar as dlc and where they going to insert that..each chapter already connected properly..i doubt they would put stuff outside midgar instead

Not sure what they would add exactly. Maybe some sort of made up side story in Midgar. I'm expecting them to come up with some way to get more money.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

The other two summons that are only available for the premium digital edition perhaps?

Pallas

But we get an NPC chat log instead! Turned that off last night, was driving me nuts during some side mission cut scenes.

Ha I can see why that stuff would drive someone crazy, personally I like hearing what they say. They say some interesting stuff... like one instance at the Sector 5 train station, this cranky old dude shouts in a irritable tone “Why would anyone blowup a goddamn reactor for anyway?” Or something along those lines, idk why but I chuckle because it really shows Avalanche are batshit crazy sometimes to these folks.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Ha I can see why that stuff would drive someone crazy, personally I like hearing what they say. They say some interesting stuff... like one instance at the Sector 5 train station, this cranky old dude shouts in a irritable tone “Why would anyone blowup a goddamn reactor for anyway?” Or something along those lines, idk why but I chuckle because it really shows Avalanche are batshit crazy sometimes to these folks.

I mean I like hearing what the NPCs say as well, but when I'm in the middle of a mission and listening to the quest giver talk, I shouldn't be seeing a running ticker of things people around me are saying, I found it obnoxiously intrusive at times. Really it should even be muting the NPC speech a little bit when I'm talking to someone as part of a quest, I was listening to one dude in Sector 5 tell me something about a quest and there was a non-stop stream of chat log updates, plus I can hear their audio, and I'm just trying to focus on the quest dude.

Boneless

A bit annoying that The Arse boss is so dependant on one materia, not having that one equiped makes it pretty near impossible.

Silvawuff

bullshit, this is called blind fanboysm just for the sake of it.

imagine cheering for devs who makes shitty choices for their games just because they are your favourite devs.

so people had to be happy for that unfinished mess called ff15 just because it was from square 😆 😆

doing that you only encourage them to do the same or worst for the next game.

Calm your tater tots there, buddy. You can call it whatever you want. The thing is...I think SE did a great job with this game. From the production to the narrative direction -- and the twist -- I loved all of it. If the game sucked I think you'd have more to rebuke. My original comment was more about (non-toxic) fan culture and supporting the devs through that lens. People don't disown their favorite sports teams because they lose a game, and people criticize their favorite teams all the time. "Trade that player? How dare they!" For example, FFXV did suck, and if we used that game as a metric to not purchase any more SE games...well, here we are, still supporting them. Call that whatever you want, blind fan-ism or whatever. I feel like this is the game FFXV should have been.

I think SE is going to do whatever they want to regardless of how they're encouraged or discouraged by people who purchase and play their games. This game in particular started a lot of really good conversations about presenting a game with a very unique narrative direction and what it actually means to "remake" a game. Call me a blind slavering fangirl if you want, I enjoyed this game very much by its own merits and look forward to the next one. I'd chalk that up as a win for SE.

Kumomeme

Calm your tater tots there, buddy. You can call it whatever you want. The thing is...I think SE did a great job with this game. From the production to the narrative direction -- and the twist -- I loved all of it. If the game sucked I think you'd have more to rebuke. My original comment was more about (non-toxic) fan culture and supporting the devs through that lens. People don't disown their favorite sports teams because they lose a game, and people criticize their favorite teams all the time. "Trade that player? How dare they!" For example, FFXV did suck, and if we used that game as a metric to not purchase any more SE games...well, here we are, still supporting them. Call that whatever you want, blind fan-ism or whatever. I feel like this is the game FFXV should have been.

I think SE is going to do whatever they want to regardless of how they're encouraged or discouraged by people who purchase and play their games. This game in particular started a lot of really good conversations about presenting a game with a very unique narrative direction and what it actually means to "remake" a game. Call me a blind slavering fangirl if you want, I enjoyed this game very much by its own merits and look forward to the next one. I'd chalk that up as a win for SE.
what funny is people even had similliar tendency towards anything made by rockstar and cdpr, and will blindy vehemently defend it but nobody bats an eye

Enjay

Banned
what funny is people even had similliar tendency towards anything made by rockstar and cdpr, and will blindy vehemently defend it but nobody bats an eye
The 10,000 people that buy platinumgames usually talk it up like they're perfect developers too whose games have no flaws too.

Lethal01

The 10,000 people that buy platinumgames usually talk it up like they're perfect developers too whose games have no flaws too.

Every Platinum games I play I have a looong list of nitpicks with.
But each game still gives me a far longer list of things they did right that I just keep wishing other devs would learn from.

FF7 has so much it could learn from Astral Chain.

wzy

Anyone found a way to make the synergy materia useful? I feel it's kinda worthless, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Poison is the best use for it. Put it on Tifa or Cloud so they can more easily assist with Flying enemies (poison is tough for flyers to dodge) when Aerith or Barret nuke them. Tifa is the best carrier generally since she accrues passive ATB faster than everyone else.

Dacon

Banned

Absolutely not true, Rockstar and CDPR get plenty of criticism from their fans. GTA4 esp got it bad. It's like people are blind to the criticism some games get and only ever pay attention to the fanantics.

There's many who pointed out the flaws in TW3, despite how much they loved it, myself included.

Nymphae

Banned
Wall Market looks so cool. I'm still not tired of slow walking around every environment and just soaking in all of the world design, really amazing stuff. This game puts FF15 to shame.

The materia shop dude is awesome! It instantly brought back the image of the original in my mind which I haven't seen or thought about in years...they nailed this, I looked up the original and the interior in almost exactly the same. So much attention to detail everywhere. I love that the linked materia slots actually show up on the weapons too.

Last edited:

gela94

Set top one to dpad, second one to whichever you prefer, and then there is a nother option below that for being able to freely switch targets during combos, I have that enabled as well. It's a bit more of a chore to manage the camera this way, and you have to take your hand off of the movement controls to target switch, but I'm not a fan of how the lock on system's camera operates so I'm trying this out.

I see, thank you will try it out.

I think he means entire sets at once.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hm, I just realized that HH is not immune to sleep or stop.

It probably would have made that fight a lot easier on hard mode lol.

Kumomeme

Absolutely not true, Rockstar and CDPR get plenty of criticism from their fans. GTA4 esp got it bad. It's like people are blind to the criticism some games get and only ever pay attention to the fanantics.

There's many who pointed out the flaws in TW3, despite how much they loved it, myself included.
yep i agree lot of people pointed out the flaw, but amount of defender is sometime is ridiculous

The Shepard

Also, does anyone ever use Cloud's ability Disorder? I feel like triple slash is better for overall DPS.

I used it, but not as much as triple strike because whilst he's attacking you can swap player. Triple strike with cloud, swap player, chi then star shower with tifa, swap player, and then maximum fury with barret Got me through alot of hard mode. Arieths a goddess with magic and duel casting.

stickkidsam

Also, does anyone ever use Cloud's ability Disorder? I feel like triple slash is better for overall DPS.
I think disorder is best used with another ability or to exit a combo into operator stance. Get that berserker buff using punisher stance then use braver or infinity's end if there's time.

I'll follow with triple strike instead if there's a lot of enemies.

recma12

Really love the game so far, only complaints:

- lots of sequences that go like this:
short cutscene.... walk for 2 mins..... short cutscene.... walk for 4 mins..... short cutscene....
That is pretty annoying in some spots, breaks the rythm of the game.

- no materia switching during battle
they keep cylcing party members and often I run into an opponent with an elemental weakness I don't have covered in any of my slots.
I lose the fight, reload in, switch the materia and the fight ends up being a cakewalk.
In general, weaknesses and staggering are a little too OP for my taste. Feels like I'm playing a Pokemon game.

- lots of "empty calorie" space in the levels
they really padded the gamelength by making you cover a ton of ground with barely anything happening.
All the free roam sections (so far) consist of a cluster of shops and special POIs. Game makes you run back and forth over and over again. Not much happens along the way.
IMO the slum sectors could have easily been 40% smaller.

Other than that, game's really really good.

The Shepard

Really love the game so far, only complaints:

- lots of sequences that go like this:
short cutscene.... walk for 2 mins..... short cutscene.... walk for 4 mins..... short cutscene....
That is pretty annoying in some spots, breaks the rythm of the game.

- no materia switching during battle
they keep cylcing party members and often I run into an opponent with an elemental weakness I don't have covered in any of my slots.
I lose the fight, reload in, switch the materia and the fight ends up being a cakewalk.
In general, weaknesses and staggering are a little too OP for my taste. Feels like I'm playing a Pokemon game.

- lots of "empty calorie" space in the levels
they really padded the gamelength by making you cover a ton of ground with barely anything happening.
All the free roam sections (so far) consist of a cluster of shops and special POIs. Game makes you run back and forth over and over again. Not much happens along the way.
IMO the slum sectors could have easily been 40% smaller.

Other than that, game's really really good.

I'd be OK with materia switching in battle, could have a penalty of using 2 full atb bars if you want to swap.

Kev Kev

I'd be OK with materia switching in battle, could have a penalty of using 2 full atb bars if you want to swap.
as long as were aloud to swap multiple materia this is a great idea. if its only a limited amount per turn id just quit and start the fight over

recma12

Yeah, or maybe turn the "materia switch ability" into a materia itself.
But that's just part of the problem IMO having the correct materia shouldn't make THAT MUCH of a difference.

Equipping the correct materia (even at the lowest level) can turn a fight from impossible to trivial.

as long as were aloud to swap multiple materia this is a great idea. if its only a limited amount per turn id just quit and start the fight over

IDK man, you normally only need one party member to have the correct materia and you're golden.
Would be much quicker to build up 2 ATB and switch mid fight.

TheAssist

I kinda really want to write something really long and heartfelt, but I currently dont have the time, so maybe later. But I feel like a have to say something about this game.

Like the original this game is very special to me. Rarely have I played a game or consumed any media that gripped me on so many levels. I had so much fun and went through so many emotions (the good kind) that this game became an instant master piece for me. I can see the flaws that are there, but I can not approach this game from a critical point of view. Because I really dont want to. When I played it, I was deeply immersed and was able to sink into this world and its characters. No amount of technical difficulties or small pacing issues could detract from my enjoyment. All I felt was Joy (or whatever emotion the game wanted me to feel for story reasons). And that is so rare these days. I felt almost child like. Going to bed thinking about this game and waking up early so I could play more of it. I'm happy this game exists, I'm grateful that I was able to experience and enjoy it the way I did. I'm glad I dont have to look at it with these critical eyes that have to piss and moan about everything. It reminded me of simpler times. I can only be thankful to all the people who worked their ass of to make this game become a reality and I hope many more people will find enjoyment with it.

Yeah, that is my super biased and blinded by fanboyism take on the FF7R. I'm just kind of happy :)
Also, I havent even said the worst thing. Proceed with caution:

I liked the ending and what it entails :O

LordKasual

Banned
i had complain for the water in sewer..each time cloud drain the water away, the water kind of dissapear dissipated into the floor instead of flowing away through the canal

yeah i noticed that too, but outside of that it looked so good lol

Hm, I just realized that HH is not immune to sleep or stop.

It probably would have made that fight a lot easier on hard mode lol.

You know, FF7R actually tells you all of the status effect immunities and i'm so used to Final Fantasy (and JRPGs in general) COMPLETELY ignoring status effects when it comes to bosses that I didn't even think to try for 99% of the bosses in the game.

JMZ555

Can someone make a gif of Jules at gym laughing smug face. I think its either when u speak to start pro challenge or straight after when you lose. he sorta looks side on and gives a smug laugh. It was so annoying and funny at the same time.

Top Bottom