• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Levyne

Banned
Annnnd Last Mission finally complete. Still a bit bummed that I could only see the vanilla scenes.

Anyway, yay:

ki37HgC.png

Levyne

Banned
Listened to the audio drama.

All in all, I had gotten myself expecting something more absurd than that. Things were a little silly but otherwise didn't offend me.

Is this the preferred armor setup? What should I do? lol
Auto-Phoenix
Auto-Med
Auto-Haste
Auto-Protect

Auto-Haste, always.

Some combination of Auto-Protect, Auto-Potion, Auto-Phoenix, Break Hit Point Limit, Auto-Regen, Ribbon, Defense +20%, Stoneproof.

The combination depends on what you are doing and how you feel about the effort required to make BHPL worth it.

Squire

Banned
Heh, love the OT title. I take it most people are on X-2 now?

I took a break for a while to play through Infamous on the PS4 and deal with school stuff. Finally dove back in tonight. Played through Macalania Temple and Home.

Man. Dem feels.

Flandy

Heh, love the OT title. I take it most people are on X-2 now?

I took a break for a while to play through Infamous on the PS4 and deal with school stuff. Finally dove back in tonight. Played through Macalania Temple and Home.

Man. Dem feels.

I'll be moving onto X-2 soon. Just grinding out the Sphere Grid and then Superboss time. Would have been on X-2 sooner but I took a one week break lol

Kottos is super easy with Auto Phoenix lol

Flandy

Could someone explain to me why Wakka got more experience than Auron and Tidus in the Donberry AP trick? Wakka was the person on stoic and they were all equipped with OD -> AP, Triple AP, Triple OD
13816719544_b3a896033a_b.jpg

13816720904_d8a47f5200_b.jpg

What's the most optimal spheres to use for empty nodes? Is it a waste if i put 100% strength spheres? Is it even necessary to have such high strength for anything? I got 99 magic def spheres from farming triple ap weapons, so if i can just use those all it would mean less grinding, as long as that won't gimp me for something

Could someone explain to me why Wakka got more experience than Auron and Tidus in the Donberry AP trick? Wakka was the person on stoic and they were all equipped with OD -> AP, Triple AP, Triple OD

Looks like Wakka got exactly 50% more. You sure the other guys aren't using Double OD?

Squire

Banned
I'll be moving onto X-2 soon. Just grinding out the Sphere Grid and then Superboss time. Would have been on X-2 sooner but I took a one week break lol

Kottos is super easy with Auto Phoenix lol

I wanna get the Vita version before I start X-2. Wanna alternate it with the PS3 port.

How strong were you when you fought the final boss in X?

Just got the
the airship post-Zanarkand

It's been such a long time, I'm not sure what I should do first. I've gotten Anima. I can just about defeat stuff in the
Omega Ruins
but it's a struggle...

Flandy

I wanna get the Vita version before I start X-2. Wanna alternate it with the PS3 port.

How strong were you when you fought the final boss in X?

I'm really glad I got the Vita version over the PS3 version. It's ridiculous how much less tedious grinding is on it since I can do other stuff while using it. Sure I could do other stuff even with the PS3 version like watch youtube on my laptop but I feel much more relaxed laying down in my bed with my laptop while I grind away on my Vita :p

*loads up save point before Final
Seymour battle
My main damage dealers
I finished each of their grids and then sent Tidus through through Kimahris and into Wakkas.
Wakka partly up Aurons and into Tidus
I sent Auron Down Tidus, through Kimahris starting area and into Wakkas.
13816926725_4241694c2e_b.jpg

13816953453_b3dcd93849_b.jpg

13816955343_31b44819fa_b.jpg

Yea...but try paying at least 1100 gil the next time to ensure constant Waki/Zanma. 300 gil still got a chance of Yojimbo triggering his dog attack, which lower some of your affection with him.

Yojimbo is apparently based on powers of 2 so giving him 1100 is identical to giving him 1024.

1024 is supposedly the sweet spot where his affection can't go down.

Footos22

What annoys me more is that the trophy for obtaining all fully-powered Celestials is just a silver, while the one for collecting/compiling all the Al Bhed Primers is a gold. Apparently, they thought the Chocobo Training From Hell, dozens of hours of Blitzball, lightning dodging, butterfly capturing, monster capturing, Cactuar finding, etc. was less impressive than finding some books scattered (in order, no less!) throughout the world.

If I remember right, you'll need maybe ~250,000 gil. Shoot for 300,000.

When he makes his offer, counter with half of it plus 1. He'll make a new offer; counter with half of it plus 1 again. Accept his third offer - haggling more than that runs a huge risk of him calling the deal off.

Dozens of hours? Only need to do 2 tournaments.and 2 leagues

SoulUnison

Banned
Yojimbo is apparently based on powers of 2 so giving him 1100 is identical to giving him 1024.

1024 is supposedly the sweet spot where his affection can't go down.

I just got Yojimbo last night and the one time I've summoned him he used Wakizashi, the I gave him something like 3600 gil and another Wakizashi, then 1000 gil and a Zanmato.

If I only ever give him 1024 gil from now on does that mean he'll always have a decent chance of using Zanmato again?

Saphirax

What annoys me more is that the trophy for obtaining all fully-powered Celestials is just a silver, while the one for collecting/compiling all the Al Bhed Primers is a gold. Apparently, they thought the Chocobo Training From Hell, dozens of hours of Blitzball, lightning dodging, butterfly capturing, monster capturing, Cactuar finding, etc. was less impressive than finding some books scattered (in order, no less!) throughout the world.

If I remember right, you'll need maybe ~250,000 gil. Shoot for 300,000.

When he makes his offer, counter with half of it plus 1. He'll make a new offer; counter with half of it plus 1 again. Accept his third offer - haggling more than that runs a huge risk of him calling the deal off.

There is no trophy for obtaining fully powered Celestial weapons. The silver trophy is just for obtaining all the weapons, not powering them up.

I just got Yojimbo last night and the one time I've summoned him he used Wakizashi, the I gave him something like 3600 gil and another Wakizashi, then 1000 gil and a Zanmato.

If I only ever give him 1024 gil from now on does that mean he'll always have a decent chance of using Zanmato again?

The more you do it the better his affection gets and the more likely he will be to use it.

More detail than you probably want to know:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/643146-final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster/faqs/24392

Holmes

Does anyone know where I can find a list of fiends per floor in the Via Infinito? Would make getting Monster Master easier.

Annnnd Last Mission finally complete. Still a bit bummed that I could only see the vanilla scenes.

Anyway, yay:
Congrats!

The amount of overdrive (AP) gained from Comrade is proportional to the character being attacked's max HP. So the higher their HP, the less AP you get. So don't raise the HP of the character being hit by Karma.

Listen to Maechen's story.

Finally over. I should speak to him again just in case he has new lines.

Start to repeat the previous story.

no. NOOOOOOOOOO

Atlantis

Just checked and all 3 of them do in fact have Triple OD. Maybe it's because I was blocking? What else am I supposed to do with their turn other than block? Cast spells? :p

You can waste turns by switching equipment. You don't actually have to switch, just select whatever you have equipped. Has less recovery time than defending as well.

might have to hook up my PS3 to my CRT to do lightning dodging. fucking input lag!

Welcome to the plight of the Fighting game community brother. We warned everyone... everyone thought we were crazy... who knew it would be an RPG from 13 years ago to make people believe
seriously its annoying right! keep at it!

wig21

I am sure people have made suggestions elsewhere but I am just starting the game up and using the expert sphere grid and I was wondering for those who have been playing what is the best directions to send my characters? Thanks

Levyne

Banned
So they actually made it impossible to view the scenes that happened depending on your X-2 save file? That sounds fucking terrible.

I dunno about impossible but they sure didn't make it automatic or easy. I had a 98% save file right before topping x-2 off, the "clear" save file for starting NG+, and I started a NG+ file and saved at the first possible moment. None of those triggered the "alternate" scenes in Last Mission.

Edit: BUT actually...

Looking at this rough guide, I guess outside of 1 or 2 scenes nothing really changes anyways?

Well, whatever. The story of it is throwaway as it is, and not why people should play it.

I thought you could not get much crazier than X-2. That was until with the international content you can have Brother on your party and he is absolutely insane. He is screaming like crazy and buttslamming enemies and dancing like a maniac. I can't take this anymore, gotta switch Paine back :lol.

Also I always got crazy about the dresspheres before since I wanna use em all but I only have 3 members! And with the 2 new dresspheres you can get right at the beginning it makes it even more hard :lol. I'm rockin White Mage Yuna, Psychic Rikku and Gunner Paine (or Gunner Brother :lol) atm.

krae_man

I'd just like to say Fuck Malboro. I'm in the great plains on my way to do the chocobo race and he pops up and casts bad breath and I stay confused until all 3 of my characters are dead with no chance to do anything about it.

What's the most optimal spheres to use for empty nodes? Is it a waste if i put 100% strength spheres? Is it even necessary to have such high strength for anything? I got 99 magic def spheres from farming triple ap weapons, so if i can just use those all it would mean less grinding, as long as that won't gimp me for something

Bump, anyone?

Bump, anyone?

Well, I mean are you trying to get optimal stats or just filling up the empthy nodes for the sphere master trophy? If former then you could just get max STR, DEF, AGI, MDF since those are easy and leave magic low since farming those are a bitch. Also some luck but getting that too high can be a real chore since you have to get a bunch of fortune spheres.

HP nodes depending if you want to go for HP break or not. I had em and got around 30K HP for characters. Othervise nope.

I myself got high luck for few of my mains and after that just cleared the luck nodes with clear spheres and replaced em with MP spheres once I was done with superbosses.

255 is the max any stat can have btw. So after hitting 255 STR for example activating any more will be useless unless you are just filling for the trophy.

Meier

Played it on the PS2 three times through and probably spent at least 60 hours on blitzball across those saves. A wee bit disappointed they didn't do more work on the NPC models. Just getting to the part where I meet Rikku first and her cohorts have such blocky shoulders, etc. still. For the dev time, I would have liked to see this stuff improved a bit.

(Playing the Vita version)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Question. Will my FFX HD Region 3 (Asian English) cross save work on an R1 copy of FFX/X-2 PS3? I noticed that the PS3 version is listed as ALL regarding regions instead of the standard 1/2/3 in the spine.

Jacobbles

After many weeks, I finally have the FFX platinum trophy!

I've never played FFX-2 before, is getting the platinum in that possible in one playthrough? Or should I just enjoy the game and then try for the platinum on a second run?

Levyne

Banned
After many weeks, I finally have the FFX platinum trophy!

I've never played FFX-2 before, is getting the platinum in that possible in one playthrough? Or should I just enjoy the game and then try for the platinum on a second run?

It's possible but you will have to keep a browser tab open with a guide the whole time, haha.

I think rameyeon (?) had linked a pretty good one with lots of checks. Lemme see if I can dig it up.

Edit: This one

It's possible but you will have to keep a browser tab open with a guide the whole time, haha.

I think rameyeon (?) had linked a pretty good one with lots of checks. Lemme see if I can dig it up.

Edit: This one

Did you do the platinum on one playtrough? Any tips for the missable trophies? I still ain't sure what are the exact monsters I need to keep eye on that are missable from the Monster Master trophy. Also apparently the Tonberry trophy is for Last Mission so no worrying about that yet. I'd love to try get the platinum on 1 go but depending on what kind of trophy I'll miss it might not be to bad to rush the NG+ to get the rest I guess.

And I think I read someone say that you shouldn't dig too much at Bikanel ect. Shit is confusing :lol. At least in FFX you didn't need any guides outside of Al Bhed primers and even then the missable ones were grouped together at one point in the story.

I'm following that guide you linked and I'm now at 20%, no problems thus far.

And damn White Mage dressphere levels up damn fast by just spamming Pray. I guess Gunner does too if you spam trigger happy but you don't get as many of those in there in battle and at the beginning some enemies can ignore some of the shots due to high defence so you are just attacking anyway. Psychic is levelling by far the slowest for me.

Levyne

Banned
If you get 100%, which encompasses the lion's share of the trophies, I think you will encounter everything in the game when it comes to missables. The only exception is that you have to fight Azi Dahaka right before the final boss in order for him to show up in Via Infinico to oversoul him. If you do the puzzle exactly right you will avoid him all together.

You only need to get 5 blue bullets so even though 3 of those are missable you don't have to worry about them on a trophy basis. A lot of the other trophies can just be done on your own time in the last chapter. Playing sphere break, bribing enemies, winning a blitz game. Those sorts of things.

As for the tonberry treasure, it requires 3 "Find Secret Room" items before floor 61. You then have to use these items on floors 61, 63, and 65, where you have a chance of getting to the right type of secret room. So make a save at floor 61 and reload if it sends you the wrong place. I lucked out and found these around floor 58. I had kept a "notebook" item which can double another item, so finding one "Find Secret Room" item becomes two, if that makes sense.

That's it, unless I'm forgetting something

burgerdog

Damn, I just completely gave up on getting 95%+ after getting to chapter 5 calm lands / chocobo dungeon and realizing the time sink. Got episode complete in Zanarkand, Besaid, Kilika, Luca, and didn't even step foot into any other area. I can't explain what happened, the end game is usually my favorite part of jrpgs.

If you get 100%, which encompasses the lion's share of the trophies, I think you will encounter everything in the game when it comes to missables. The only exception is that you have to fight Azi Dahaka right before the final boss in order for him to show up in Via Infinico to oversoul him. If you do the puzzle exactly right you will avoid him all together.

You only need to get 5 blue bullets so even though 3 of those are missable you don't have to worry about them on a trophy basis. A lot of the other trophies can just be done on your own time in the last chapter. Playing sphere break, bribing enemies, winning a blitz game. Those sorts of things.

As for the tonberry treasure, it requires 3 "Find Secret Room" items before floor 61. You then have to use these items on floors 61, 63, and 65, where you have a chance of getting to the right type of secret room. So make a save at floor 61 and reload if it sends you the wrong place. I lucked out and found these around floor 58. I had kept a "notebook" item which can double another item, so finding one "Find Secret Room" item becomes two, if that makes sense.

That's it, unless I'm forgetting something

Thanks for the tips.

Also Jacobbles (and anyone starting X-2 and perhaps following a guide) they won't mention that you can get the new dresspheres added to the HD remaster version right from the start. Festivalist you will get by following the guide right at the beginning in the airship but Psychic you can get right at the start too and the guides won't mention it since the Creature Creator stuff is brand new. Just talk to Shinra in the airship and check out the Creature Creator stuff. Then just access the first tournament from him and you get it as a prize. I won the tournament pretty easily with a Flame Dragon that you can capture by putting a Capture Pod L in Besaid. Pretty cool dressphere and apparently one of the better ones too tho I can't really say for sure yet.

Levyne

Banned
Some Last Mission tips.

Or rather, this is more of a "what I did". I'm not going to explain all of the terms so some might be confusing if you aren't familiar with the game mode. Once you get past maybe 5 floors, it will all make sense.

I only used Yuna. I really don't know the benefit of switching out girls, since they share the same items and iirc, level. Maybe they don't share the same base health pool? I really don't know, to be honest.

I ended up making the Gunner the primary dress. It seems a bit weird since it is the starting dress but I really liked how it had extra attack range. So many of the enemies can only hit you if they are adjacent, so being able to pop them once or twice before they even threaten you is a big deal. You also stock up your trigger happy ability to use in a pinch, which is always nice. The gunner works well due to the fact that the rooms are clearly divided, meaning the enemies cannot cross past a certain point. So what you can do is wait out turns while the enemy or enemies moves away from the door, jump into the room and pop them once or twice, and then retreat and repeat. Yes, it is a bit scummy but my conscience didn't really care if I was struggling and had been awhile since I saved.

Speaking of saving, note that you get a free option to save every 5th floor. However, note that you cannot save on every 20th floor until after you defeat the boss. This means that if you lose to one, you will start back 5 floors down. You can, however, get a save item that allows you to save between every floor. Thus, I always found myself saving one of these items so that I could make a save right before the 20th, 40th, and 60th floors.

Note that every 5 floors involves a locked elevator between them. These are the clearing conditions to unlock the elevator. They are really arbitrary and obtuse so I have no issue just linking them for everyone:

Floor Condition(s)

5 Defeat 3 fiends and perform an Action (other than movement)

10 Defeat 10 fiends and perform an Action (other than movement)

15 (a) Defeat 5 fiends and perform an Action (other than movement)
(b) Drop any 2 Items (can be picked up again)

25 (a) Defeat 8 fiends and perform an Action (other than movement)
(b) Throw any 2 Items (can be picked up again)

30 (a) Defeat 8 fiends and perform an Action (other than movement)
(b) Drink any 2 Potions

35 (a) Defeat 8 fiends and perform an Action (other than movement)
(b) Drop any 3 Items (can be picked up again)
(c) Fake 3 attacks (i.e. press Circle button without hitting any
fiend

45 (a) Defeat 8 fiends and perform an Action (other than movement)
(b) Read 2 Books
(c) Fake 5 attacks

50 (a) Defeat 10 fiends and perform an Action (other than movement)
(b) Pass for 5 turns

55 (a) Defeat 8 fiends and perform an Action (other than movement)
(b) Read 2 Books
(c) Fake 3 attacks
(d) Pass (i.e. press X and Select buttons) for 5 turns

65 The appearance of the Pioneer (‘nŽnŽÒj

70 Change into LeBlanc Syndicate member
(Either use item í“¬ˆõ‚Ì‚µ‚¨‚è or get the Pioneer to change you.
Because the next Action the Pioneer takes on you is to send you
outside the tower, it is recommended that you stand on the elevator
while waiting for him)

75 (a) Defeat 8 fiends and perform an Action (other than movement)
(b) Drop any 3 Items (can be picked up again)
(c) Throw any 3 Items (can be picked up again)
(d) Fake 5 attacks

Note that getting to the 80th floor is also a bit unintuitive:

Now, you should find that there isn't any elevator on the 79th Floor leading up to the final Floor. To get there, there is more work to be done. You have to make the Pioneer appear, and get him to warp you away. From the 77th Floor on, the Pioneer will not warp you outside the tower. Instead, from the 79th Floor, he will warp you to the 77th. You have to make him appear again and get him to warp you to the 80th Floor, where you will face off against the last boss.

(Both from this gamefaqs guide. which is otherwise not very useful.)

Aside: What the hell is the Pioneer?: If you dilly-dally on a floor too long, you will hear a message about an approaching laughter. If he finds you after a while, he has a chance of warping you out of the tower. However, as you can see, getting him to appear is needed to move past floor 65, and also to get to the top.

Note that you should also keep one of the Leblanc items if you see it. You'll need it for floor 70. Otherwise, as the guide says, Pioneer can transform you into it too.

Dresspheres

Now which other dressspheres should you use?

These are the important ones, I find. I will quickly list list exactly what you're looking for from each one and then expand on the general strategy.

• Gunner : Reasons stated above
  • Berserker : Wallop Skill
  • Festivalist : With Gunner, this gives you MP from defeating fiends.
  • White Mage : Access to Curaga and Esuna
  • Black Mage : Access to Ultima
Also slightly less so
  • Warrior : Together with Trainer gives access to Physical ability.
  • Trainer : Together with Warrior gives access to Physical ability.
  • Dark Knight : With Gunner gives access to ConfuseProof
  • Thief : Gives access to Trap Sensor. May require another dress..

So, when you equip certain dressspheres, you get access to their auto-abilities. Once you kill a certain number of enemies with a dress sphere combination, you get an accessory with the ability, and you can equip two of them. So the idea is to:

- Pretty much always keep Gunner out front.
- Put together Warrior and Trainer as soon as you can you get the Physical ability asap. Then equip this. This increases your chance of getting physical attack up on level up, which I find to be by far the most useful stat.
- Put on the Dark Knight as a sub-dress until you get the Confuseproof ability. This is also a very useful accessory, and I believe it is practically necessary for the late game.
- Lastly, put on the Thief until you learn the Trap sensing ability, and put on that accessory as well.

After this, you no longer need these classes (Except Gunner). Keep the items that have Physical and Trap Sensor equipped always, and keep the Confuseproof accessory around for when it is necessary.

- Then always make sure you have the five main dresspheres equipped. You can attack from range with Gunner, you can Wallop enemies to push them back and get more free shots. Curaga will fully heal a dress for 5 mp, you can remove any status with esuna for 4 MP, and killing monsters with the Festivalist dress underneath will get you MP as you kill monsters. Pretty nice set up, no? The black mage is there in case you want to clear a room full of enemies, and you can swap it out front and cast Ultima a few times. There might be a better option for a 5th dress. Yes, some enemies will cast magic back at you when you shoot them, but that's what Curaga is for, no?

Other Tips

- The "Dressmaker" book allows you to make any dresssphere appear. Always use it to make Gunners. Combined with the Dress Fusion book, you should always make sure to keep your gunner level as high as possible.
- Also seek to level up your other main dresses if you run into those dresspheres or see them at the shop, just in case.
- Check every vial item on the floor for a chance at 1-3 free level ups. Super useful.
- You can read books from the floor, they do not need to be in your inventory.
- If you get a "Restart Guide" book, make sure you hold onto it. From my experience, it's the only way to restart at the bottom of the tower with everything intact (see below).
- Keep one of the Leblanc transformation items for Floor 70.
- You are going to need 3 "Find Secret Room" items if you want the Tonberry Treasure trophy. You then have to use these items on floors 61, 63, and 65, where you have a chance of getting to the right type of secret room. So make a save at floor 61 and reload if it sends you the wrong place. I lucked out and found these around floor 58. I had kept a "notebook" item which can double another item, so finding one "Find Secret Room" item becomes two, if that makes sense. You will have to then contend with some mega tonberries, so be prepared for a fight.

-Use a "Restart Guide" if you need to. I struggled mightily at the floor 40 boss my first time through. I then used said item to restart at Floor 1 so that I could reacquire items that I had lost. The trek back through the tower is much easier the second time around, and I actually found myself one-shoting most enemies for many of the early floors. Add in the chance to find more level up items, and more dresses to fuse, and by the time I got back to floor 40 I was significantly stronger. Note that you do have to fight any bosses again.

General, Non-Spoiler boss tips

Floor 20: I found he used his strongest hitting attack way less often if you ignored his help for last. I also threw an item at him to slow him, which helped.
Floor 40: You have to take on a lot of help at the start. I had a room-wide sleeping item stocked, which made things easier.
Floor 60: If you have a way to have Darkproof, it could be useful here. The miniboss before the floor boss has a low HP pool but hits hard.
Floor 80: See Next

Breaking the (Late) Game

As part of the Tonberry Treasure trophy, note that you will get 2 items called Copy Technique (or something like that). This, unlike the Notebook item, can copy anything. So, also with two Dress Fusion books, you can quadruple any given Dress level by copying, fusing, copying, and fusing. By the end of that experiment, I had a level 96 Gunner. Note that you do get this before fighting all the Mega Tonberries, iirc.

That got a bit longer winded but I hope it helps at least one person.

Squire

Banned
I'm really glad I got the Vita version over the PS3 version. It's ridiculous how much less tedious grinding is on it since I can do other stuff while using it. Sure I could do other stuff even with the PS3 version like watch youtube on my laptop but I feel much more relaxed laying down in my bed with my laptop while I grind away on my Vita :p

*loads up save point before Final
Seymour battle
My main damage dealers
I finished each of their grids and then sent Tidus through through Kimahris and into Wakkas.
Wakka partly up Aurons and into Tidus
I sent Auron Down Tidus, through Kimahris starting area and into Wakkas.
13816926725_4241694c2e_b.jpg

13816953453_b3dcd93849_b.jpg

13816955343_31b44819fa_b.jpg

Nice. Had you gotten the celestial weapons yet or no?

Top Bottom