• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster |OT| G - A - F in position, it's showtime gurlz!

Yeah, the fact that the chocobo's still kind of twitchy is a big problem (though it tends to do it more in certain places than in others - there's a certain line it's trying to regress to, I think).

I somehow manage to run out of time in Gunner's Gauntlet, I thought it takes seconds to get to the mean guy, but it seems I forgotten or am slower now. Do you remember how long does it take (average) to get to the guy after leaving waterfalls?

After leaving the waterfall area. Assuming you have a death bullet for the last enemy, about 15-20 seconds depending on much you clip on edges.

Edit: While on the subject on the gunner's gauntlet, I should mention there is a blind spot right before the last waterfall in the waterfall area. Stand near the cliff edge about one rail away from the waterfall and the fiend will ignore you completely.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I see Play-Asia is constantly on back order for the Asian English versions for Vita.

Is there a good place to order, or should I bite the bullet on eBay?

Even though I platinumed this game last week, I cannot stop listening to the OST such brilliance!
I started FFX-2 a few weeks ago, but turned it off after about half an hour and haven't played since, I guess it's not for me. No clue what the hell Square thought making a sequel like that.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Thought I'd pop on over to Besaid an catchup with the townsfolk.

They had quite the reception for me. Ow.
Think I'll just head on over to the final boss now. Got a feeling going anywhere else'll be much much scarier x.x

Lesson learned. I should always cast Auto-Life if not at least check if some weird attack applies Break. Big WTF when Neslug's Slime hit me for 28000.

mstevens

Well, I finally got to the chocobo race and I can easily say that is hands down the most frustrating thing I've tried to do in a video game. I was planning on spending the time to platinum this game, but there is absolutely no way I can do this. Tried for about an hour (which was the most painfully frustrating hour I've spent in awhile) and the best I did was like 10 balloons and 4-5 birds. This has completely soured my experience with this game.

pottuvoi

Banned
Well, I finally got to the chocobo race and I can easily say that is hands down the most frustrating thing I've tried to do in a video game. I was planning on spending the time to platinum this game, but there is absolutely no way I can do this. Tried for about an hour (which was the most painfully frustrating hour I've spent in awhile) and the best I did was like 10 balloons and 4-5 birds. This has completely soured my experience with this game.
It's not that bad.

Start right, when you see birds go sideways and keep out of those pesky invisible edges.
If balloons are all on right side you have very good change to win.
My last run the trainer was slightly behind me after the turn and got hit by the bird, the rest of the run was quite easy as most birds spawned on top of me and basically couldn't hit me and dived at the trainer.

here's nice rundown on how to win.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197344-final-fantasy-x/51372846

Arthea

It's not that bad.

Start right, when you see birds go sideways and keep out of those pesky invisible edges.
If balloons are all on right side you have very good change to win.
My last run the trainer was slightly behind me after the turn and got hit by the bird, the rest of the run was quite easy as most birds spawned on top of me and basically couldn't hit me and dived at the trainer.

here's nice rundown on how to win.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197344-final-fantasy-x/51372846

It is one of the worst things in videogames ever, yes, it's that bad, and no amount of guides and trying will help you if you don't get needed balloon layout, or you get it once in 3 hours and get hit by birdies. You need shitload of luck for this one and if you get that luck, by laws of probability some poor person will pay for it, by not getting (><)
that's the life

After leaving the waterfall area. Assuming you have a death bullet for the last enemy, about 15-20 seconds depending on much you clip on edges.

Edit: While on the subject on the gunner's gauntlet, I should mention there is a blind spot right before the last waterfall in the waterfall area. Stand near the cliff edge about one rail away from the waterfall and the fiend will ignore you completely.

ya, I was leaving too late, it's frustrating to loose all progress by running out of time when you can see the guy not far away!

Alright good to see this OT still has legs.

Getting back into X. I gave up at dark yojimbo he is the last Dark Aeon left.

What stats should i max out Accuracy ? I can't even hit the mug half the time!

Arthea

getting max Accuracy doesn't help with him at all, as far as I know, only luck helps to hit him, and grinding luck is the last thing anyone wants to do.
I was killing him with double casting ultimas (max magic stats), and copycatting it. It's probably slower and I wasn't overkilling him most of the time, but at least no luck grinding at all, I did it with basic luck.

Saphirax

Use Aim x 5 and Luck x 5 then just Quick Hit him to death. I had around 50 luck and only needed to use Aim. Barely missed at all.

AmanoBuff

Wow, it's been a while since I visited this thread. Glad it's still alive and kicking.

I am near the end of FFX
Just got the airship back
and I suddenly find myself losing all motivation for the side content when this entire time I'd been looking forward to doing it since I never have before. The celestial weapons and monster arena especially seem very tedious.

It is a long way to platinum the game. At first I also felt overwhelmed thinking of all the stuff I had to do, but I just got to it little by little (one thing at a time) and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I even enjoyed playing all those blitzball tournaments! And I used to hate that mini game.

Right now I'm at the monster arena and I'm not leaving it until I max all my characters' stats and HP.

If you still don't feel like doing it, don't forget the endgame content, since it is a hell of a grind, can be done while you watch TV or do something else, since it's almost null story-wise.

not sure what I enjoy more: my chocobo's ability to elegantly slalom between balloons that I'm aiming at, or its ability to yank the control away from me in order to head directly into the path of an oncoming bird

Arthea

not sure what I enjoy more: my chocobo's ability to elegantly slalom between balloons that I'm aiming at, or its ability to yank the control away from me in order to head directly into the path of an oncoming bird

both are highly enjoyable, you forgot third: bumping into invisible walls, most balloons are behind.

lionpants

In X-2; does anyone have a strategy for fighting an oversouled Mega Tonberry and getting the Cry In The Night skill in one battle?

I have a oversouled Tonberry ready to fight but can't get the switch timed right.

In X-2; does anyone have a strategy for fighting an oversouled Mega Tonberry and getting the Cry In The Night skill in one battle?

I have a oversouled Tonberry ready to fight but can't get the switch timed right.

I think it's more doable with the Adamantine accessory or something. I remember that I did it but it was crazy hard to survive.

Balphon

I just spammed phoenix downs and hit him with White Hole (since it does a large amount of predictable damage) when possible until he was at critical, and then switched everyone to gun mage.

I'd suggest fighting it in the fiend arena so you don't need to fight the extra Tonberry or worry about dying, but my whole party survived Cry in the Night relatively easily, so the latter point doesn't matter as much.

lionpants

Thanks guys I managed to get the skill for all three girls in one fight using the adamantite and speed bracer on Yuna while she healed, and Cactling Gun with Payne while Rikku did some damage in gun mage and periodically checked the tonberry's health.

At around 18000hp I switched Yuna and Payne to gun mage. The adamantite helped a ton.

Need some help with very late game X: I
beat Yunalesca and have the airship. Any suggestions on mandatory side quests or levelling up opportunities before Sin? Keep in mind I don't wanna get bogged down.

Thanks in advance .

You're gonna need around 200k gil to get one of them though. I think the cheapest path was
third option > 125k > 115k > 150k > accept final offer?

If you didn't use all destruction spheres you'll probably have to wait much much much later to get the other optional aeons.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Can't beat Jecht. Super sick of unskippable cutscenes, crystal dodging/collecting, his awful battle theme, and dying over and over!

My options are to grind like mad in this last area or just give up and quit huh?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Which part is killing you? Did you finish your party's path?
The part where he stones or curses my party members and widdles away everyones HP until its game over #5+! The dumb pagodas come back to life way to often usually leaving no opportunity to get a hit in on him cause I'm still attempting ta heal up from the last set of craps they all threw at us. Dunno what a partys paths is btw.

Saphirax

The part where he stones or curses my party members and widdles away everyones HP until its game over #5+! The dumb pagodas come back to life way to often usually leaving no opportunity to get a hit in on him cause I'm still attempting ta heal up from the last set of craps they all threw at us. Dunno what a partys paths is btw.

Their part of the sphere grid.
Seems like you just need to grind some more. Either that or use Rikku's Mix to deal 99999 damage with Trio of 99999 every time you attack.

Yeah, Sphere Grid path. It's been a long while since I fought the boss so I don't remember how it goes. :/

---

Finally started grinding Luck. It's not near as bad as grinding for Magic. I figured I could just put Tidus on Loner then kill Greater Sphere with 3 Slice & Dice (more for Earth Eater). Still I wish I had the patience to do Blitzball so that I'll have Attack Reels to make this faster. 90% of the time spent grinding Magic Spheres is just watching spell animations.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I dun get the path of part of the grid thing since the whole board is like circular in that you can go all the way around it back to the start? I'll put it this way, each characters got 3 1/2 large circles filled in, 3-4 medium sized ones, and 1-2 of the small ones. I've grinded alot throughout the game an I'm not adverse ta doing more! Just getting steamrolled after coming this fars alil disheartening. I need bed rest so I gots free time to grind away long an hard until I can demolish that boss and its awful music!

Each character has his/her own path on the grid. It's pretty linear, and it always ends in a locked node. Once you reach that node, the character finished his/her path.

Eg Tidus' path ends with Quick Hit then followed by a locked node. He can't go anywhere else unless he unlocks a node. He's already done with his path.

Atlantis

I dun get the path of part of the grid thing since the whole board is like circular in that you can go all the way around it back to the start? I'll put it this way, each characters got 3 1/2 large circles filled in, 3-4 medium sized ones, and 1-2 of the small ones. I've grinded alot throughout the game an I'm not adverse ta doing more! Just getting steamrolled after coming this fars alil disheartening. I need bed rest so I gots free time to grind away long an hard until I can demolish that boss and its awful music!

Each character has a section of the grid that 'belongs' to them, usually closed off to other sections by locks. It's not shown in the game, but it's pretty easy to make out their general area just by looking at the grid. (For example, Lulu's section is her start point through the Flare spell.)

The strategy for this fight really depends on what your characters and their equipment look like.

The boss in vulnerable to all four of Auron's 'Break' skills. Power Break on the boss and Protect on your party makes his damage a lot more manageable. (Use Auron's Banishing Blade to inflict all four 'Breaks' on the boss if you have it)

The Yu Pagodas are the really annoying part of the fight, as their Power Wave removes all debuffs from the boss. (Like Power Break) Your best option is to eliminate them every time they revive, but the catch is they always revive with their HP adjusted to whatever damage it took to kill them. (If you kill a Yu Pagoda with a Flare that hit for 9999, they'll revive with 9999 HP)

Spells with Magic Booster are an easy way to eliminate them, especially if you're hitting the damage cap. Your other option is to leave them alive and Slow them.

Once you get a handle on the Yu Pagodas, and are able to keep his damage down with Protect and Power Break, the fight isn't too bad. Other general tips are to equip any equipment that protects your party from Petrify and to save your Aeons and their Overdrives for the second form. He falls pretty quickly to Flare and Quick Hit, especially if Mental Break and Armor Break stick.

Gila

Just passed the Calm Lands and at the Cavern of Stolen Fayth and realized I only have 90k Gil. Can I come back post-game and get Yojimbo? Or do I have to grind it out and get 200k as now is the only time to get him?

Atlantis

Just passed the Calm Lands and at the Cavern of Stolen Fayth and realized I only have 90k Gil. Can I come back post-game and get Yojimbo? Or do I have to grind it out and get 200k as now is the only time to get him?

You can return later.

Get Yojimbo's Overdrive up but DO NOT MAX. If you max it out on the way to Jecht he'll just do whatever he wants, which sucks since you want to be able to pay him to get him to Zanmato. Have all of Yuna's other aeons on max overdrive, spam them all except Yojimbo during the first form and that should make the first form easy to kill. Summon Yojimbo, pay him a stupid amount of money (it's the end of the game anyway so nothing is lost) and hope that he instakills the second form. Took me two tries for this to work.

Saphirax

Get Yojimbo's Overdrive up but DO NOT MAX. If you max it out on the way to Jecht he'll just do whatever he wants, which sucks since you want to be able to pay him to get him to Zanmato. Have all of Yuna's other aeons on max overdrive, spam them all except Yojimbo during the first form and that should make the first form easy to kill. Summon Yojimbo, pay him a stupid amount of money (it's the end of the game anyway so nothing is lost) and hope that he instakills the second form. Took me two tries for this to work.

That's not true. If Yojimbo's affection is high enough, he'll sometimes do an attack for free whether his OD bar is full or not. You can have him with a full OD bar and be able to pay him.

Arthea

That's not true. If Yojimbo's affection is high enough, he'll sometimes do an attack for free whether his OD bar is full or not. You can have him with a full OD bar and be able to pay him.

To be fair, he freely attacks often, really often, the few times when I needed Zanmato in arena he was doing Wakizashis and Kozukas right and left.

mstevens

Finally got 0.0 on the chocobo race! What a relief. Ended up getting a really lucky run where I got 5 on the first part, then about 4 in a row towards the end. 15 balloons and 1 bird.

My advice to anyone struggling is to:

a. read this post http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197344-final-fantasy-x/51372846
b. turn the sound off. For me, detaching myself from what was going on and listening to music helped with the frustrating a lot. This way, you can't hear if the trainer gets a balloon instead of you, and you can't hear the annoying sound when the bird whacks you.

I've been at least doing decently well on the chocobo stuff with that guide, yeah (though the game seems to be REALLY bad about balloon placement in the final stretch).

Lightning dodging is so fucking hard in this version of the game, though. Even when my controller's plugged in via USB, I can barely get above thirty dodges in a row. I used to be able to do far better on the PS2 version even though getting to 200 was still tricky. I feel like the input lag is a huuuuge problem.

mstevens

Did the Chocobo temple trophy in about 5 minutes. That one seemed MUCH easier.

I did hit some poles though and didn't get the best item, but I don't need that for the platinum, do I?

Kemal86

Did this get added to Cross-Buy at some point? I purchased a digital copy for Vita a couple weeks ago, and yesterday during the God of War Collection kerfuffle noticed my download list on the PSN Webstore listed PS3 AND Vita as platforms. Went to my PS3 and sure enough, I'm downloading FFX now. Guess it could throw up a license error when I actually play it, but looks promising for now,

Edit: LOLNOPE I'm an idiot. It was just the Vita version downloadin to PS3...wasn't clear at all though.

Man, this (near endgame) boss fight is bullshit:
fighting Sin. I managed to get both his arms destroyed but then there's no save spot, and there's another boss fight.

I think I'm burnt out on X. I wanna finish it, but I have zero motivation.

Top Bottom