• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 E3 Information Thread [Trailer, BioWare Storytelling, More]

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I wanted DLC for FFXIII so this is good news.

Amir0x

Banned
Dark Schala said:
I loved FFXIII's soundtrack because it branched out into so many different genres. Jazz, ambience, dance, symphonic, vocal... it was great.

FFXIII's soundtrack was the best thing about the game. Fantastic soundtrack.

Pooya

On their preview there is a quote from Noel talking to Serah:
"So, this is how cocoon looks like from the inside:

Serah replies:
"Oh, I forgot this is your first time here"

I think this implies Noel is from Pulse.

Despera

Banned
miladesn said:
On their preview there is a quote from Noel talking to Serah:
"So, this is how cocoon looks like from the inside:

Serah replies:
"Oh, I forgot this is your first time here"

I think this implies Noel is from Pulse.
Noel's probably from a future version of Pulse.

bishopcruz said:
Wow, that entire paragraph is so full of wrong it hurts to reread it. I think the only thing that comes close is that it is nothing like ES, but even that isn't entirely true as you CAN go on a ton of side quests, and explore pretty much willy nilly once the game opens up. In fact if I am remembering things correctly the only places that you cannot get to on foot are Arcadia and Bhujerba.

If by zone you mean individual map, then sort of. If by zone you mean each overall area like the Giza Plains, the Ester and Westersand, Bur Omisace, and the like, then no. Emphatically not. Every single one of those zones has multiple exits, and entrances, you can end up all over the place. In fact the map of FFXII is one of the best designed maps in any RPG ever. Making it seem like it is a linear experience like FFXIII would be like saying Symphony of the Night was just like Castlevania III.

Finaly Fantasies I, II, III, V, VI, XI, and XII say hi.

The story moves you in a straight line, the side stuff takes you all over, and like most open world games, if you just run through the main story you haven't seen the majority of what FFXII has to offer either in maps, setting, or world detail. Final Fantasy XII is not COMPLETELY open at its start, and no one is saying it is the most non-linear RPG out there. But to call it a completely or even mostly linear experience is just being willfully ignorant.

As for FFXIII-2, if they add a bit more non-linearity, make the story not completely fall apart at the end, and actually make the exploration of Gran Pulse meaning ful this time, it could work.
FFXII is linear. That extra stuff is crap and basicly amounts to just killing monsters. It dosent stand in for the game like actual side quests in Oblivion does. As for the game opening up, that happens well past halfway. Open it is not. Those side things are also dictated by the story. You aren't going to areas the story hasn't already allowed. I guess now X isn't linear? Most of the stuff said here can apply to that game as well.

Those main zones no matter how big will mostly take you to the place deemed neccsary. Also dont put words in my mouth. I never compared XII to XiII. Only that xiii-2 looks to be taking some ques from xii.

Also Vii and vi are also liniear up unto a point like pretty much every FF game. These games aren't open world games like ES or Gta at all.

The soundtrack was so good, I'll easily admit to having bought both the normal and limited editions of it. Not at the same time, mind you. I'm not made of money, ohohoho~

Vamphuntr

DLC can be a good thing if done the right way. If it's done like Fallout 3, Fallout NV or Borderlands this could be interesting. These DLC add new areas, quests and items and you get content for your money's worth. On the other hand if it's poorly done like DA or Dissidia then I will pass.

Thoraxes

Electivirus said:
The soundtrack was so good, I'll easily admit to having bought both the normal and limited editions of it. Not at the same time, mind you. I'm not made of money, ohohoho~
Me too. I own all of Hamauzu's work because I just plain love what he puts out.

Also battle system stuff: While I want to control all characters, I would much rather have the fluidity of the XIII battle system then for them to completely slow down the pacing of all the fights by allowing you to micro skills. If they kept the same pacing and added micro, you'd probably get murdered in battle, which would probably force the game to play battles in slow-mo or to make it turn based again. For the side/later stuff, the paradigm system works beautifully, and at the level and speed some of those battles are at, there's no way the battle system could remain fluid and quick, and return to micro-party based input. The paradigms are fine.

I like it when they really change up the systems like this, and I hope XV is as wildly different as XIII was when it released.

Pooya

Noel has lived his entire life on Pulse as a hunter, ignore the last post, missed this part. I will read it all and return...

it's same as the E3 demo we've seen in the videos.

miladesn said:
some bits from Gameinformer via Kagari:

DLC planned from the beginning of development, will expand story.
How many unknown.

some more soon wait.

Ugh, just a reason not to buy the game @ launch and wait for the complete version.... ._.

Despera

Banned
King of the Potato People said:
Yeah because what FF XIII needed improving more than anything else was rapping... did it sound like a Moogle?
One thing's for sure, Hamauzu can deliver. It'll probably be a similar case to Persona 3 and 4. Awesome beat, bad-English ridden lyrics.

RPGCrazied

on stage demo of this coming on G4.

I'm sure its stuff we've already seen before, but if you want to see, tune in. I normally hate this shit channel though.

Nope, nothing new. Adam asked about side quests, but the rep guy couldn't talk about it. :p

Early 2012, same ol stuff.

Pooya

Some parts from the Game Informer, if you watch the gameplay videos or read the previews in the OP, there isn't much new in GI.

DLC was planned from the beginning of development, will expand story.
How many unknown.

- They assure Additional quests are available throughout the game (not in the demo).

- "Noel is more than just a fresh face in XIII-2, he's also an entry point for new players.
Having lived as a strong, self-sufficient hunter on Pulse his entire life, Noel is unaware of the happenings on Cocoon"

- "FFXIII-2 has mobs that materialize in the enviroment, incorporating the element of surprise found in older FF. When a Foe emerges, a cricle appears around the party, this remains visible as long as the enemy is in range."

- Defeating foes in combat wins the player the crystals that can be used to summon monsters in combat. Each has it's own unique role. expect around 200 ally monsters in the game.

- Lightning VS Bahamut video in the OP is introduction scene of the game, more details about this will be revealed at TGS.

- "at one point in the demo I heard Noel and Serah mention that Lightning maybe in a place called Valhalla" followed by editor's speculations.

- NPC interaction, helping with the quest, examples:

One man assured us that Atlas is not a deadly fal'cie. (Atlas is the boss in the e3 demo)

Alyssa (the girl in the trailer) claims to know a way to control it.

- maps are branched, several ways leading to various locations.

thanks Kagari.

"Noel is more than just a fresh face in XIII-2, he's also an entry point for new players. Having lived as a strong, self-sufficient hunter on Pulse his entire life, Noel is unaware of the happenings on Cocoon

Yay for better storytelling techniques

Nay for contradicting the "all my friends are dead" feeling of Pulse from the first game

Eden, Bodhum and Palumpolum were beautiful. I would have loved to roam around these locales without the strict path. It would have been awesome if you were able to manually manoeuvre the Lindblum in Cocoon’s atmosphere and travel between Cocoon and Pulse in this way. Imagine what could have been. I hope this sequel doesn’t make me continuously think about what it could have been.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
miladesn said:
"Noel is more than just a fresh face in XIII-2, he's also an entry point for new players.
Having lived as a strong, self-sufficient hunter on Pulse his entire life, Noel is unaware of the happenings on Cocoon"
I take it that Cocoon was merely situated above a small portion of Gran Pulse, then. There're probably other people on Pulse who didn't even take part in the War of Transgression. Though it kills the "everyone is dead and we're all sad" vibe that Pulse had in the initial game. FFXIII's Datalog and narrative seemed to communicate that there was no human life on Pulse at all.

I sometimes got the impression that we never explored the entirety of Pulse in the first game anyway. Seemed too small and Calm Lands-like. I guess the area we explored was kind of a "cursed land".

Edit: DLC?

Boooooooooo.

I await the "retailer exclusive" DLC.... -_-

Rpgmonkey

miladesn said:
- Defeating foes in combat wins the player the crystals that can be used to summon monsters in combat. Each has it's own unique role. expect around 200 ally monsters in the game.

Hopefully some of the monsters we can get later on we'll be able to recruit weird but crazy powerful things like Chocobos and Tonberries, and we'll be able to bring back the FFXIII group as "monsters".

The idea was one of the best additions to FFX-2 International because they let you do the above, but admittedly a lot of monsters are kinda boring to have in the group. Gotta spice it up a bit.

Dark Schala said:
I take it that Cocoon was merely situated above a small portion of Gran Pulse, then. There're probably other people on Pulse who didn't even take part in the War of Transgression. Though it kills the "everyone is dead and we're all sad" vibe that Pulse had in the initial game. FFXIII's Datalog and narrative seemed to communicate that there was no human life on Pulse at all.

I sometimes got the impression that we never explored the entirety of Pulse in the first game anyway. Seemed too small and Calm Lands-like. I guess the area we explored was kind of a "cursed land".

Edit: DLC?

Boooooooooo.

I await the "retailer exclusive" DLC.... -_-

Think of how big Cocoon was to be floating above this planet. This planet must be huge. Think of all the people on the other side of the planet. While the datalog does seem to say that, it could be seen now as coming from the point of view from someone from Cocoon that just didn't know.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I'm guessing the cast is limited to Serah, Noel, the monsters, and Lightning right?

DR2K

Banned
I really disliked XIII, but this one is looking really good. SE seems like they're aware of the issues that plagued XIII and are really trying to make a great FF experience. At the very least it'll be another visual orgasm.

DR2K said:
I really disliked XIII, but this one is looking really good. SE seems like they're aware of the issues that plagued XIII and are really trying to make a great FF experience. At the very least it'll be another visual orgasm.

I think the really interesting thing will be subsequent FFs, where it's likely the ideas and feedback will be baked in at a much deeper level.

ULTROS! said:
So I'm guessing the cast is limited to Serah, Noel, the monsters, and Lightning right?

Why are you guessing that? I haven't really see anything to suggest that there aren't more characters, and this section looks like it's from near the beginning of the game.

mango drank

Has this resemblance been pointed out already? Am I the only one who sees it?

k1xo2c.jpg

Jerk

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
Man, at least Serge has a less-ridiculous weapon. I still can't get over Noel's... sword-nail thing.

Yeah, that thing is abominable.

I like the stake though.

Two others tibits from gameinformer

There is a moogle that travels with you in the demo that can point out hidden treasure and participates in conversations.

It also mentions that you have the choice to go straight to the boss without going down to the sewers or to go down the sewers to find the control device for the boss

~Kinggi~

Banned
I like they acknowledge the faults of the first game. Ill probably get it, simply for the pretty graphics. Loved the visuals for 13.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
brohmbel said:
Has this resemblance been pointed out already? Am I the only one who sees it?

Serge
My bf made a Noel/Sora comparison when the teaser hit. I don't really see Serge, tbh.

Serge has a better weapon than Noel. He probably does the double weapon thing better than Noel, too. >.>

Fimbulvetr said:
It's actually a sheath for his smaller sword.

I don't even.
W...T...F. o_O

Ah, now I can see it. It doesn't look sturdy/practical at all.

RPGCrazied

ninj4junpei said:
Nope, Kagari has been MIA.

Ya, I know. She's been running all over E3 the last few days. I'm just clamoring for new info. Specially since we have a +6months or more wait for this to come out.

Thoraxes

All these music comments are reminding me that I have tickets for both Distant Worlds Concerts in Chicago on June 26th!

They still have surprise premieres listed for both concerts, and even the premieres they unveiled already have been added to the set-list, with "SURPRISE PREMIERE" remaining after the fact, so there's still something new coming.

I'll be sure to let you guys know if it's any XIII-2 music, if it happens. I will be so excited if it is, that's for sure. They did premiere music before a game launch before, so hopefully it happens here too.

Let me in

Thoraxes said:
All these music comments are reminding me that I have tickets for both Distant Worlds Concerts in Chicago on June 26th!

They still have surprise premieres listed for both concerts, and even the premieres they unveiled already have been added to the set-list, with "SURPRISE PREMIERE" remaining after the fact, so there's still something new coming.

I'll be sure to let you guys know if it's any XIII-2 music, if it happens. I will be so excited if it is, that's for sure. They did premiere music before a game launch before, so hopefully it happens here too.
I'm going, too. Can't wait.

Top Bottom